• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 3 |OT| BROTHERS TO THE END

Status
Not open for further replies.

george_us

Beat it a couple of hours ago. Last boss fight was actually pretty fun. On the whole found the campaign just "ok" with Act III and the later parts of Act V being the only outstanding moments of the game. Acts I and II were either boring or just felt stale while Act IV was flat out terrible the whole way through.

Tawpgun

Overall, I love how unique the Gears universe is. It's an alternate reality/universe, kind of like how LOTR isn't on Earth or anything.

Aliens invading = mole people coming up from underground. The look and feel of everything...

I'm curious as to how they're going to expand it.

Net_Wrecker said:
I really, really, REALLY, REALLY do not like what the SOS has done to to this game. It's such a BS weapon. I never EVER feel like "OK, that guy was just better than me that time" after getting killed by it. Either people just camp corners like bitches and pop out mashing RT because you barely have to aim, or people just casually walk into a KOTH flustercluck and just shoot in somebody's general direction. Either one of those takes no skill, and feels like the cheapest way to die in the entire game.

And don't mistake this for frustration because I was getting spanked. I held my own in every match today, and won a lot of them, but the SOS is still just so bad. Every Versus game mode would benefit from that gun being removed from the game.

The fact that you even need to include this disclaimer is a testament to the stupidity of some of the people in this thread.

A27 Tawpgun said:
Overall, I love how unique the Gears universe is. It's an alternate reality/universe, kind of like how LOTR isn't on Earth or anything.

Aliens invading = mole people coming up from underground. The look and feel of everything...

I'm curious as to how they're going to expand it.
So do I, but back when Kill Zone 2 came out, playing that for weeks and going back to Gears 2, the way the characters looked and story seemed really cartoony and almost cheesy. It was really hard to take it seriously like before. It was a strange revealation for me. Still I like the Gears universe better though.

I wonder if Epic are considering some DLC which takes place during E-Day. I've kind of wanted something like this for Left 4 Dead, a campaign which takes place during the outbreak.

skyfinch

Phonomezer said:
I wonder if Epic are considering some DLC which takes place during E-Day. I've kind of wanted something like this for Left 4 Dead, a campaign which takes place during the outbreak.

Or even before E-day, but that seems like it could be a full game rather than DLC. A prequel would allow Marcus and Dom to return, with new characters like Carlos and better integration of Bernie.

The Antitype said:
The fact that you even need to include this disclaimer is a testament to the stupidity of some of the people in this thread.

I would've included that comment in any competitive multiplayer thread because that's just the nature of how people think. "Oh, he mad because he was getting dominated and can't find a way around it." No, that's not the case at all. The weapon is a bad addition to the sandbox, and takes such a miniscule amount of skill to use that it's insulting to anyone who spent years perfecting their Gnasher game. The starting rifles in the game are MORE than capable of making sure noobs don't get dominated by the Gnasher, there was absolutely no need for the SOS.

Net_Wrecker said:
I would've included that comment in any competitive multiplayer thread because that's just the nature of how people think. "Oh, he mad because he was getting dominated and can't find a way around it." No, that's not the case at all. The weapon is a bad addition to the sandbox, and takes such a miniscule amount of skill to use that it's insulting to anyone who spent years perfecting their Gnasher game. The starting rifles in the game are MORE than capable of making sure noobs don't get dominated by the Gnasher, there was absolutely no need for the SOS.

Agreed. But in the end Epic already has our money and the sawed off makes noobs feel like they're amazing at the game so they'll play it more.

Quikies83

Anyone down for some horde action? I'd like to hit wave 50 tonight.. The lady friend is out with the gals tonight so I'm down to clown.
Need 4 people.

DoomGyver

Quikies83 said:
Anyone down for some horde action? I'd like to hit wave 50 tonight.. The lady friend is out with the gals tonight so I'm down to clown.
Need 4 people.
I've been trying to get to get a group together, I have a couple people wanting to do 50 waves tonight, send me a friend request.

edit: damn you're fast, request received. When do you want to start?

jackdoe

HawksWinStanley said:
Agreed. But in the end Epic already has our money and the sawed off makes noobs feel like they're amazing at the game so they'll play it more.
That being said, the SOS is a great equalizer in a TDM game when it's four on one.

SpacLock

I get motion sick when I play this. I love Gears and never had a problem with any other installment, let alone any other video game. I was also fine when playing the beta. I think the roadie run is just too much for me. I hope they can tweak it somehow because I can't keep playing if it stays the way it is.

anyone else feeling a disconnect between gears 3 and the first two games in regards to environment and tone? i can't help but to feel like it's not even in the same universe as the first two games.

also, am i crazy for thinking that gears 2 looked more impressive overall? yes, gears 3 has incredible lighting, but i feel like it's come at the expensive of environment complexity and detail. i'm watching someone play gears 2 campaign right now. they are at the cog outpost in the rain and it looks amazing. it also evokes a very "gears of war" mood. i'm mid-way through act 4 of the gears 3 campaign and no environment has evoked that feeling for me. gears 3 campaign is just different somehow...

HawksWinStanley said:

But that's the thing, they won't. They'll be gone as soon as BF3, and MW3 come out. Then in 6 months that leaves the hardcore Gears players with this cheap ass weapon + all of their wallbouncing skills who will potentially be even more annoying than the guys who hide around corners. It's a lose/lose situation.

I just hope an unspoken rule will come about where everyone agrees to not cheese with the SOS for the sake of the game. I, for one, have never used it, and refuse to because I wouldn't be able to live with myself. I have too much honor /samurai

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
In a 4v1 cluster the Gnasher will always beat the Sawed Off. For individuals, sure.

The Sawed off is a terrible gun because its existence, as mentioned before, is unnecessary. There is no need to have a different shotgun because in Gears 3 the rifles have been made more than capable.

The SOS is also a weapon that just isn't fun. I've used it by mistake a couple times (Loadout randomly getting changed...idk why). The fact that I have to get the fuck out after getting off/missing a shot is just not engaging. Shotgun battles are one of the most intense things about gears. With the SOS there are no shotgun battles. People rush in, press RT in general direction, and then run away. How is that fun? When I rush, I want to start going off on multiple people. That, or tango with a motherfucker and the better man will come out on top. The SOS defines the tactics of a pussy. I don't really get mad at anything but it almost irritates me to see people rush in/camp behind corners with a sawed off, jump out, press RT, then RUN away even if the person isn't pursuing them. Meh.
SquirrelNuckle said:
Love the people butthurt over the SOS, it's so easy to defend against.
One on One, mure. But when there are multiple people involved (and this happens a lot), the SOS is annoying. And when 4-5 people on a team are using it? Smh...

Wizman23

Banned
Net_Wrecker said:
But that's the thing, they won't. They'll be gone as soon as BF3, and MW3 come out. Then in 6 months that leaves the hardcore Gears players with this cheap ass weapon + all of their wallbouncing skills who will potentially be even more annoying than the guys who hide around corners. It's a lose/lose situation.

I just hope an unspoken rule will come about where everyone agrees to not cheese with the SOS for the sake of the game. I, for one, have never used it, and refuse to because I wouldn't be able to live with myself. I have too much honor /samurai
Bitter bitter tears. I bought the season pass and will be using the SOS until Gears 4.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
If anyone needs the Lambency achievement, feel free to hit me up. I'm not really into multiplayer, so I was shocked when I managed to get it. Turns out the chainsaw still works in Gears 3!

firehawk12 said:
If anyone needs the Lambency achievement, feel free to hit me up. I'm not really into multiplayer, so I was shocked when I managed to get it. Turns out the chainsaw still works in Gears 3!
Can you get that cheevo from player matches?

AcciDante

Stat Flow said:
The Sawed off is a terrible gun because its existence, as mentioned before, is unnecessary. There is no need to have a different shotgun because in Gears 3 the rifles have been made more than capable.

The SOS is also a weapon that just isn't fun. I've used it by mistake a couple times (Loadout randomly getting changed...idk why). The fact that I have to get the fuck out after getting off/missing a shot is just not engaging. Shotgun battles are one of the most intense things about gears. With the SOS there are no shotgun battles. People rush in, press RT in general direction, and then run away. How is that fun? When I rush, I want to start going off on multiple people. That, or tango with a motherfucker and the better man will come out on top. The SOS defines the tactics of a pussy. I don't really get mad at anything but it almost irritates me to see people rush in/camp behind corners with a sawed off, jump out, press RT, then RUN away even if the person isn't pursuing them. Meh.
I agree, and the unfortunate thing is that I don't think it CAN be nerfed. Nerfing it in anyway would just make it completely useless, and at that point they might as well take it out of the game, which they'll never do. I know this would be one of my favorite multiplayer games of all time if it wasn't for that gun. Such a shame.

leng jai

firehawk12 said:

Seems pretty easy to get. I randomly got it in like my fourth ever game.

AcciDante said:
I agree, and the unfortunate thing is that I don't think it CAN be nerfed. Nerfing it in anyway would just make it completely useless, and at that point they might as well take it out of the game, which they'll never do. I know this would be one of my favorite multiplayer games of all time if it wasn't for that gun. Such a shame.

All they have to do is make it a pickup on the map, instead of a starting weapon.

Done.

KorrZ

The Antitype said:
All they have to do is make it a pickup on the map, instead of a starting weapon.

Done.

It's not even close to good enough to make a power weapon. Adapt or die people.

Bread

Banned
AcciDante said:
Sure it can, if they just made the hip fire less accurate I think it would be fine.

AcciDante

The Antitype said:

Done.
...I like this.

Bread said:
Sure it can, if they just made the hip fire less accurate I think it would be fine.
You don't have to be accurate when the spread is the entire screen though :/

leng jai

Stat Flow said:
In a 4v1 cluster the Gnasher will always beat the Sawed Off. For individuals, sure.

One on One, mure. But when there are multiple people involved (and this happens a lot), the SOS is annoying. And when 4-5 people on a team are using it? Smh...

The whole notion of the SOS is horrendous. A close range weapon that can only get one shot off? No wonder they had to make it insta-gib. Nothing more fun than seeing a guy pop out while you explode half a second later.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
leng jai said:
The whole notion of the SOS is horrendous. A close range weapon that can only get one shot off? No wonder they had to make it insta-gib. Nothing more fun than seeing a guy pop out while you explode half a second later.
That's true. Disregarding spread, power, maps, reload times, it vs the gnasher. How the fuck does this sound fun in Gears: "A weapon that is meant for REALLY close range and only has one shot before the reload, which is long. It is an instakill, but you only have 4 shots total"

Seriously, that doesn't even sound like what Gears is about when it comes to CQC.

KorrZ said:
It's not even close to good enough to make a power weapon. Adapt or die people.

make it more powerful then
give it two shots per clip instead of just one and more spare ammo

CliffyB said:

gamedesigners sometimes should just acknowledge that something they created is not fun nor good for the game (see armor lock in halo reach) and remove it, imo. even more when the game would be perfect without that something

mbmonk

An enemy was camping the corners at our spawn, or at the important weapon spawns, with SOS and if he missed he would just run away. It was pretty damn effective. He was 13 - 1'ish I think. But I guess you could do the same with the Gnasher.

It might just be a good Gears strategy in general.

EDIT: for a new page:
I created a new gamertag that we can use while Xbox.com gets it stuff together.

As a temporary measure Add gamertag "Gears 3 Gaf 4" (Notice it's the number 4 not the Roman Numeral). I will check it later tonight and accept all pending friend requests.

Raistlin

I'm not sure whether to be happy or sad that they are using Mazzy Star for the soundtrack of one of the commercials.

I'll go with happy.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Finished the campaign. 3 > 1 > 2 for sure, and they did a great job with a lengthy, varied, beautiful campaign that only drags in a few spots. Given that there's a certain level of cheese and incongruence in what it is, the story and dialog is all fairly well done. The game delivers on the promise of the destroyed beauty tagline Epic has been teasing since game 1.

Great weaponry, huge cast of baddies, and surprisingly decent friendly AI. This was really very good.

Also, it wrapped up the trilogy in a really satisfying way. I'm so tired of "trilogies" that were suddenly never meant to be trilogies or don't wrap up or sufficiently answer things. So happy not to see that bullshit here.

Good games to SPACECADET! Steamrolled our way to victory after victory and what an epic match on Sandbar. Having a good player on your team makes such a difference.

I think I am liking quick match a lot better than ranked. You get into matches instantly, the maps cycle so it doesn't break up the flow of the game to search for another match, players can join mid-game at any time, it shuffles the teams around to keep things as balanced as possible, and you still get experience points for ranking up and unlocking stuff. As long as dedicated servers are up, I think I'll stick to quick match for a while.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
ROBOKITTYZILLA said:
I think I am liking quick match a lot better than ranked. You get into matches instantly, the maps cycle so it doesn't break up the flow of the game to search for another match, players can join mid-game at any time, it shuffles the teams around to keep things as balanced as possible, and you still get experience points for ranking up and unlocking stuff. As long as dedicated servers are up, I think I'll stick to quick match for a while.
Yeah. Quick Match is the way to go.

Volimar

Guys, you don't speak for everyone. Loads of people love the sawed off, including me. And you don't speak for all vets, you shouldn't presume to even think you speak for most. I've beaten both the first two games on insane and I got Veteran Gear.

Sawed off is loads of fun. Maybe not the most competitive weapon but fun, yeah. Epic did an amazing job balancing the weapons. Guys got to quit belly aching...

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
I suppose SOS is a decent leveller, sometimes guys who are just awesome with the gnasher can dominate matches, if you roll SOS at least you have a chance of making him switch up his game and you're not just a sitting duck in CQ. If you're not good at that wall bouncing shotgun CQC then this is like a shield/insurance policy.

Sure sucks when it hits you, but tbh whenever I use it I fail miserably so it's neither overpowered or particularly easy to use as an offensive tool.

If it wasn't for the SOS, CQC would be all about shotgun skills whereas now there's more element of tactics. You have to consider which shotgun they're using and so on. I guess I wish it was easier to notice the SOS cos I usually dont notice until I explode. If I could tell what gun it was I could respond appropriately.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom