• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 3 |OT| BROTHERS TO THE END

Status
Not open for further replies.

JB1981

Playing Gears 1 SP right now. Nothing like OG Lancer. Never understood why they changed it. Cover system is so sticky though, controls have improved dramatically with each iteration

Man the score is so good. Jablonaky is amateur house compare to this

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Random thought: Campaign, Beast and Horde give you a pitiful amount of XP per time spent in comparison to Versus. It's quite ridiculous how little actually, much more so than Halo.

Ballistik said:
Anyone want to play right now? If you guys need a 5th or just want to form a team, send me an invite. Im online right now.

Yeah, I'm on right now, everybody on my friends list on Horde and Campaign and shit :(

bumpkin

Dark FaZe said:
anyone else blown away by what this game is doing technically?

i mean holy shit
Yeah man, it's bat-shit insane. I don't even know how they do it... My guess is some sort of voodoo; or a deal with the devil.

We are trying for a second time to make a plea for an Old School Playlist on the official forums (or Classic/Veteran Playlist, however you want to call it).

If you're wondering what this is, it's basically a playlist that restricts the starting weapon loadouts to Lancer/Gnasher like in Gears 1.

Last time we tried we got 1200+ people voting in favor of it, sadly that thread had to get locked down due to the constant shitstorms happening for and against the DBS/SOS. Let's hope we can keep it civil this time.

If any of you have an account on Epic forums and like this idea, we'd really appreciate it if you could hand us your vote and maybe drop a few lines, try to get Epic's attention proper. I know petitions like these usually fail, but we should at least give it a try.

Here's the link if you're interested: http://forums.epicgames.com/threads/828784-Old-School-Playlist-v2

Thanks GAF.

charsace

SOS needs a patch. I'm decent at best, but yesterday I was getting 15-20 kill TDM with it. If you are decent with using the gnasher without using the L Trigger you can wreck shop with the SOS. Only the digger at close range is more deadly.

@PXG, regarding the Euro-US server issues: would you mind making a Euro Gears Gaf account so all europeans could play with less lag? It's really frustrating to get an invite from a fellow GAFer just to see how shitty connections can be...

Dark FaZe said:

i mean holy shit
Nah, I've played Uncharted 2 last year :p

-PXG-

Dark FaZe said:

i mean holy shit

Yep. It's pretty crazy. Other devs need to takes notes. A LOT of notes. This is how it's done.

-PXG-

vodka-bull said:
@PXG, regarding the Euro-US server issues: would you mind making a Euro Gears Gaf account so all europeans could play with less lag? It's really frustrating to get an invite from a fellow GAFer just to see how shitty connections can be...

There's nothing stopping you or someone else from making a Euro specific tag. I've seen it mentioned several times in the past, yet nobody has made one. I haven't done it myself since I manage the first three, the OT and, of course, play the game. That, plus I live in the US. You wouldn't want a filthy Yank handling that sort of thing for ya'll, now would you :p

In all seriousness, xbox.com is still being annoying and giving me issues, so I can't do it. Once someone decides to make one, I'll make a corresponding graphic for it and put it in the OT.

vodka-bull said:

Nah, I've played Uncharted 2 last year :p

Why don't you make one? The account doesn't need to be gold.

dmg04

#DEADWRONG
Why does the mortar gun only give me a big fat red 'You're going to kill yourself' X after i start charging it up???? >:|

skyfinch

Superimposer said:
You need to unlock the executions. 200 kills for a standard weapon, 40 for power weapons.

Thanks.

How the shit did Epic do the lighting so well? I have to take another run through career. First time was spend in awe of the graphics so I probably missed a ton of stuff. Damn voodoo magicians over at Epic.

charsace

Has anyone seen the glitch on drydock? When you're on the bridge you can fly across it the long way from end to end. Don't know how to do it, but saw a guy doing it.

-PXG-

charsace said:
Has anyone seen the glitch on drydock? When you're on the bridge you can fly across it the long way from end to end. Don't know how to do it, but saw a guy doing it.

Kung Fu flips, now long jumps. All we need is crab walking and we're all set :p

KorrZ

Jesus this game can be so frustrating when you aren't playing with a full team. I mainly play with one friend and it's unbelievable how often you get stuck with just plain bad team mates. It's just absolutely infuriating on maps like Sandbar and Overpass where you need to control the top levels and my friend and I rush to the top while our 3 team mates run around on the bottom getting killed. So we of course lose the top because their whole team rushes and it's 2 on 5.

TheOddOne

skyfinch said:
How the shit did Epic do the lighting so well? I have to take another run through career. First time was spend in awe of the graphics so I probably missed a ton of stuff. Damn voodoo magicians over at Epic.
They gave the programmers crack cocaine!

DKo5

Respawn Entertainment
Gears 3 finally has the MP I've been longing for from Epic since 2006. The promise of proper Gears MP has always been so great, and I'm quite happy they've finally delivered. I don't have nearly as much time to play as I'd like, so I'm only level 12 - but I've encountered very little to nitpick about.

All the weapons feel great, nothing feels too unbalanced (even the SOS - I usually just LOL at the guys trying to use it), maps seem well designed for the most part, and everything is just amazing to look at.

I knew it'd be a good game, I'm just surprised at how great it all ended up being. Bravo Epic!

charsace

KorrZ said:
Jesus this game can be so frustrating when you aren't playing with a full team. I mainly play with one friend and it's unbelievable how often you get stuck with just plain bad team mates. It's just absolutely infuriating on maps like Sandbar and Overpass where you need to control the top levels and my friend and I rush to the top while our 3 team mates run around on the bottom getting killed. So we of course lose the top because their whole team rushes and it's 2 on 5.
Yes. And Gridlock is another map where you can get fucking rolled bad. I know people love it, but with the rifles being good and SOS being a gib machine this map becomes impossible. Especially against a good sniper. What you do is send 3 for the LS then pick one of the patios. You have sawed offs set up on each step with nades and then the sniper with the two other guys with rifles and go wild.

-PXG-

Seth Balmore said:
We are trying for a second time to make a plea for an Old School Playlist on the official forums (or Classic/Veteran Playlist, however you want to call it).

If you're wondering what this is, it's basically a playlist that restricts the starting weapon loadouts to Lancer/Gnasher like in Gears 1.

Last time we tried we got 1200+ people voting in favor of it, sadly that thread had to get locked down due to the constant shitstorms happening for and against the DBS/SOS. Let's hope we can keep it civil this time.

If any of you have an account on Epic forums and like this idea, we'd really appreciate it if you could hand us your vote and maybe drop a few lines, try to get Epic's attention proper. I know petitions like these usually fail, but we should at least give it a try.

Here's the link if you're interested: http://forums.epicgames.com/threads/828784-Old-School-Playlist-v2

Thanks GAF.

Trust me, Epic is listening. Of course, seeing things getting done is more satisfying than mere discussion.

They are aware that people want a Classic/Old School/Gears 1 style playlist. Hell, a lot of guys internally want it as well. They want to add a CoD style "Mercenary" playlist too, for those who roll solo and don't have a team. It's just a matter of whether or not the high level dudes feel like it's worth the time putting it in and if enough players actually want it. They're not going to waste their time and money implementing a feature just for a vocal minority. Plus, they have tons of other things to do, such as the DLC, which WILL be very nice :)

-PXG- said:
There's nothing stopping you or someone else from making a Euro specific tag. I've seen it mentioned several times in the past, yet nobody has made one. I haven't done it myself since I manage the first three, the OT and, of course, play the game. That, plus I live in the US. You wouldn't want a filthy Yank handling that sort of thing for ya'll, now would you :p

In all seriousness, xbox.com is still being annoying and giving me issues, so I can't do it. Once someone decides to make one, I'll make a corresponding graphic for it and put it in the OT.
http://live.xbox.com/en-US/MyXbox/Profile?Gamertag=Gears%203%20GAF%20EU
Now let's see how fast you can make that banner :p

-PXG- said:
Trust me, Epic is listening. Of course, seeing things getting done is more satisfying than mere discussion.

They are aware that people want a Classic/Old School/Gears 1 style playlist. Hell, a lot of guys internally want it as well. They want to add a CoD style "Mercenary" playlist too, for those who roll solo and don't have a team. It's just a matter of whether or not the high level dudes feel like it's worth the time putting it in and if enough players actually want it. They're not going to waste their time and money implementing a feature just for a vocal minority. Plus, they have tons of other things to do, such as the DLC, which WILL be very nice :)
I hope you're right PXG, I really do. And yeah, I've been in a few games with devs and asked them their thoughts on OSP, all of them thought it was a cool idea, nothing to lose from it.

I do remember Joe Graf saying a Mercenary playlist was redundant though, can't remember exactly what his reasons were... Hope some influential members of the team persuade him about the OSP. :(

-PXG-

Seth Balmore said:
I hope you're right PXG, I really do. And yeah, I've been in a few games with devs and asked them their thoughts on OSP, all of them thought it was a cool idea, nothing to lose from it.

I do remember Joe Graf saying a Mercenary playlist was redundant though, can't remember exactly what his reasons were... Hope some influential members of the team persuade him about the OSP. :(

Well, I don't work for Epic
yet...
So I cannot speak too much on their behalf. I can't make any promises. They are talking about it though. Some people think it's a great idea. It's just hard convincing those at the top to spend the time putting it in.

Cliff, I know you read GAF and post in this thread regularly. It won't fragment the userbase. The time spent putting a classic and merc playlist will not be in vain.

You said it yourself that you want people to marry your game, not date it. People will marry Gears 3 without a prenup and get it pregnant if you put those playlists in.

You know damn well that CoD and Halo are your competitors. You want to do everything you can to keep those hardcore people on your side so you can sell them DLC and more games in the future. So why not just give them just a couple more features which they've been clamoring over for years. Why not?

Just do it. Thank us later.

Finally finished Gears 3, but the entire ending glitched so that it skipped to the credits after beating the final boss. What the hell Cliffy? :/

Anyways, the campaign for this game was amazing. There are still a few glitches like the one above. I'm still wondering how they'll continue the game based on the ending though. Prequel? Can't wait for it anyways! Thanks to Cliff Bleszinski, and all the developers of Gears of War for an awesome game! :)

ShaneB

A new playlist does no more splitting of the userbase than paid DLC will. Everyone will have the playlists, not everyone will buy DLC maps.

charsace said:
Are you sure he wasn't just running across the walkway on both sides of the bridge?

Edit: To be a little more clear, there are two walkways that you can mantle over onto on both sides of the bridge that allows players to get to the other side without having to run down the middle of it.

-PXG-

If you're already on Gears 3 GAF, dos or tri, DO NOT add 4. However, if you live in Europe, feel free to add EU, even if you're already on one of the other four tags.

Also note, I do not manage either of these tags.

Grisby

FStop7 said:
Haha what happened to the poor Kryll, anyway? They just got retconned out of existence after Gears 1, huh?

They pop up briefly I think when you got into the caves in GOW2 for the first time.

I kinda miss the whole light/dark thing we got in one. Could have been expanded on more.

Grisby said:
They pop up briefly I think when you got into the caves in GOW2 for the first time.

I kinda miss the whole light/dark thing we got in one. Could have been expanded on more.
Nah, those are just generic cave bats or something. Too big to be Kryll.

One of the collectibles you find in 2 tells you that the lightmass bomb from 1 failed to destroy the Hollow but wiped out the Kryll breeding grounds.

dmg04

#DEADWRONG
Anyone online right now?
I'm sorta tired of being downed, tapping A until standing up, downing the last guy alive and having my kill stolen by one of the 4 people that walked by me while i was on the ground...... >>>>>>>>>:[

MjFrancis

FStop7 said:
Haha what happened to the poor Kryll, anyway? They just got retconned out of existence after Gears 1, huh?
An unfortunate side effect of the Lightmass bomb. The Kryll sections were among the most tense in the first game's campaign. The slightest of wrong turns meant instant death, one of the many feature's that gave Gears a survival-horror-lite motif at times.

FStop7 said:
The lightmass bomb took them out.

Didn't spend all that time looking for the resonator in Gears 1 for nothing!

Flo

Man, I'm fighting the
Lambent Zerker in that arena type of place, act 3
, it's horrid. Keep getting a little bit further, but how many more times will I have to try!

JimiNutz

Banned
Yay an EU list!

I'm currently on GAF1 (I think) but I'm gonna add this one too.
If you need to remove me from the GAF1 list that'll be fine if room needs to be made for US players on that list.

SOS vid if bullshit! Patch that shit Epic!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom