• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 3 |OT| BROTHERS TO THE END

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did they change the hammerburst at all between now and the beta? I am not having anywhere near the success I was with it back then, sometimes getting beaten at range by a gnasher :(

Man, me, Ballistik, and some of his boys are just steamrolling people, aint lost a game yet. This game really comes to live when you got a crew to run with in Versus

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
BenjaminBirdie said:
So I spent most of the day in Horde and Beast. Holy shit I love this game.

Got to 40 on Normal with 4 friends last night. We were out of money and just kept getting our asses handed to us no matter what we did. Just brutal, awesome carnage. Can't even imagine what 40 must be like on Insane.

MacBosse

So whats the deal with the beta tester things? I never got anything when I booted Gears 3, but I did play 5 or so matches in the beta ... anyone know?

Man I need to make more time to play. Still haven't beat campaign yet :( Played a few matches online and sitting at a 50/50 kill death. Which for me on a console is not to bad. Still cant believe I cried during the campaign, I'm worse then a women :(

JimiNutz

Banned
MikeDub said:
Did they change the hammerburst at all between now and the beta? I am not having anywhere near the success I was with it back then, sometimes getting beaten at range by a gnasher :(
I think they nerfed it a bit.
They definitely took out headshot damage so no extra damage for landing head shots.
Hammerburst was my go to weapon in beta but Lancer seems to be giving me much more success now.

Mechazawa

MacBosse said:
So whats the deal with the beta tester things? I never got anything when I booted Gears 3, but I did play 5 or so matches in the beta ... anyone know?

You had to save the beta to your harddrive.

Stupid, I know.

JimiNutz

Banned
Fahrenheit said:
Man I need to make more time to play. Still haven't beat campaign yet :( Played a few matches online and sitting at a 50/50 kill death. Which for me on a console is not to bad. Still cant believe I cried during the campaign, I'm worse then a women :(
Not trying to throw out the whole 'Im macho, I dont cry' thing, but its rare that movies or books make me cry (I can't think of any); but I was close to tears at one part. It certainly gave me goosebumps :(

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
Love this multiplayer. I never could get into it in GoW 2 but this one is alot of fun. Do you guys use the retro lancer at all? Even when I tease the trigger it just seems too unwieldy to really be effective unless im point blank with my target.

And the campaign is sick!! Big Spoiler:
Dom :(

Hixx

I'm going to turn into a bitch until we get an answer on this:

Are we going to see regional matchmaking any time soon? cos if not I won't be keeping it past BF3. Getting put in a match with Americans, you might as well not play.

Let me dance around and absorb your shotgun blasts while I melee you to death with my Longshot. Not like I have a choice, go for it.

JB1981 said:
anyone know how you unlock new mutators for arcade mode?

100 execution kills (weapon based ones) in versus unlocks 'Vampires'.

mshlive

Thought I would finally post some of my thoughts after spending a fair bit of time with the game.

Campaign - This was incredible, especially at the highs of Acts 3 & 4 and the game really pushes the hardware to the limits. Played through on hardcore which was probably a touch too easy but insane co-op is next on the agenda.

Multiplayer - This is where the game really shines and I can honestly say I'm addicted. The game just feels so refined and smooth thanks to the dedicated servers and the perfect cover system. The map pool is a bit small at the moment which hopefully should be solved soon, but what's there is great minus Sandbar. It's great that Epic have added more customisation to private matches but there is room for more such as weapon placement and weapon respawn times. Obviously the SOS needs to be removed, but I want repeat what people have already said.

Horde - Although I haven't spent too much time with this yet it just feels like the natural progression from Gears 2 and I can't really fault it.

Beast Mode - Despite being a lot of fun this feels like a bit of a missed opportunity. If players could control the stranded this could be incredible, making it a lot like Left 4 Dead but in the Gears Universe. 12 Waves also seems a bit short and once you've tried all the locust there isn't much replayability.

My GOTY so far and lived up to the hype.

Lothars

FStop7 said:
Please fix shotgun randomness and nerf the SOS. And more maps.

That is what I want for Christmas, CliffB.

All I want is all the whining about the SOS to stop because it's sickening and pretty unwarranted.

I really don't think the SOS needs nerfing.

Hixx

Lothars said:
All I want is all the whining about the SOS to stop because it's sickening and pretty unwarranted.

The Retro is far more annoying than the SOS as it stands for me. If someone rocking a Retro catches you moving between cover even at medium range and he feathers the trigger you're probably going to get downed. Luckily, not many people seem to use it but when a couple do its very, very noticeable.

Truant

Just finished it. Polished and well paced, but rather underwhelming all in all. Combat felt weak and unsatisfying after just having played Space Marine, major story beats and twists didn't resonate with me at all.

Ending was alright. Final boss was super easy on hardcore.

6/10

see5harp

I'm starting to really not mind SOS either. I'm getting a lot better at spotting them from a distance and ALWAYS punish after a mix. Also I can easily get 3 gnasher gigs in the same amount of time on rare occasions and that's always more satisfying to me. What level is everyone at after the first weekend? I went completely buck wild and played 6 straight hours to get up to 41 today.

JB1981

Truant said:
Just finished it. Polished and well paced, but rather underwhelming all in all. Combat felt weak and unsatisfying after just having played Space Marine, major story beats and twists didn't resonate with me at all.

Ending was alright. Final boss was super easy on hardcore.

6/10
Space Marine eh? Opinions and all that

see5harp

The guys that rush in for a single kill with SOS will never be great at the game though. People are already starting to figure out range and the newbies will get weeded out once COD hits. Not worried at all about the SOS. Full squads of experienced players will always prevail, at least in Team Deathmatch and KOTH.

Grisby

Just spent an hour and a half or something on Horde and got up to 28. Everyone leaves.
:( Next time I play its with a GAF crew only.

Didn't even get more then a couple XP bars filled. Man, they are stingy with that stuff if your not in a competitive mode.

HixxSAFC said:
The Retro is far more annoying than the SOS as it stands for me. If someone rocking a Retro catches you moving between cover even at medium range and he feathers the trigger you're probably going to get downed. Luckily, not many people seem to use it but when a couple do its very, very noticeable.
I love the retro. It's that rifle I've been missing from previous Gears games. I'm glad that finally there's a good weapon with some bite.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Lothars said:

To suggest a weapon that kills you in one shot, requires next to no skill in application (aiming? strafing? wall bouncing?) and has a greater gib range than the gun that is supposed to have better range than it is doesn't need a nerf is ridiculous. All i want is for people who have no concept of competitive game balance is to stop posting because its sickening and pretty unwarranted.

iMike76

Banned
TDM on insane with just bots is so much easier than gears 2 for me...I suck really bad so I just play with bots sometimes to get a better feel for the game and learn where the power weapons are at. Even though I stink, I'm having a blast with this game and want to get better.

TRios Zen

see5harp said:
The guys that rush in for a single kill with SOS will never be great at the game though. People are already starting to figure out range and the newbies will get weeded out once COD hits. Not worried at all about the SOS. Full squads of experienced players will always prevail, at least in Team Deathmatch and KOTH.

Your assumption that only weak or inexperienced players use the SOS is the fundamental flaw in your argument. There are talented players who can and will use the SOS with skill, and given the range/breadth of the killzone for the gun, it can be used to devastating effect.

I've run in to my fair share of players on TDM that finish at or near the top of the scoreboard using the SOS as their primary weapon.

Adam Blade said:
... *sigh*

Anyone wanna play some Beast Mode on insane so I can get the unlock? :x
I assume you'll find someone today that wants to do it but if not, send me a PM or post here anytime tomorrow and I'll be down.

Superimposer

This is getting weirder all the time
I trust (hopefully) that they will rebalance the SOS with TU2. I mean it is getting huge backlash here (which Cliff and much of Epic will hopefully be reading) and pretty much everywhere.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
Gr1mLock said:
To suggest a weapon that kills you in one shot, requires next to no skill in application (aiming? strafing? wall bouncing?) and has a greater gib range than the gun that is supposed to have better range than it is ridiculous. All i want is for people who have no concept of competitive game balance is to stop posting because its sickening and pretty unwarranted.

Played for a few hours today and I got gibbed by the SOS like once and in that case I was like "Aw shit yeh that was a stupid move on my part".

I took out plenty of people who were using it and when I tried to use it I got owned.

So I seriously fail to see how its an overpowered, unbalanced weapon. Its use is severely limited, for example you wouldn't choose it to use in Horde mode would you? I think the only people moaning about it are the ones who are used to charging in all guns blazing with shotguns and don't like how the SOS makes that tactic a bit more risky.

Like I said earlier the SOS is less of an offensive weapon and more defensive I think, if you get caught by it, sure it's not that the guy is skillful, its that you made a mistake.

Superimposer said:
I trust (hopefully) that they will rebalance the SOS with TU2. I mean it is getting huge backlash here (which Cliff and much of Epic will hopefully be reading) and pretty much everywhere.
Hopefully yeah. I mean, personally I don't use it because of the reload time, and I thought that would discourage others from using it, but I raged while playing last night a couple times at being killed by it at garbage ranges.

They should replace it with the boomshot.

Kawl_USC

Gr1mLock said:
To suggest a weapon that kills you in one shot, requires next to no skill in application (aiming? strafing? wall bouncing?) and has a greater gib range than the gun that is supposed to have better range than it is doesn't need a nerf is ridiculous. All i want is for people who have no concept of competitive game balance is to stop posting because its sickening and pretty unwarranted.

Yea because instagib range is the only thing that matters with the gnasher. The gnasher has far superior range than the SOS, you can chip them and hard aim down the sights from well outside their range and still down them in 2, 3 shots if you are really far away. The gnasher has far better range than the SOS. And implying that wall bouncing is required for the gnasher is laughable.

FStop7

Banned
Horde Level 40 on Hardcore.

"Hi, we're the grimmest visions of your worst insanity fueled nightmares and we're here to rip your assholes in half with our miscellaneous weapons and/or appendages. Got any coffee?"

Nori Chan

I don't even know which map would be good for Beast on Insane.

And I have trouble destroying wires. Do I just go ticker and blow everything up?

JB1981

Is wall bouncing even possible using the default control scheme ??

Also re: SP campaign I'm a bit annoyed that power weapon ammo doesn't refill at ammo dumps. I loved rocking 24 bullets with my sniper rifle in game 1 and 2. Why did they change this, balance? Epic should also patch in a no-revive mode for campaign or make it one of the mutators in arcade mode

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
kaizoku said:
Played for a few hours today and I got gibbed by the SOS like once and in that case I was like "Aw shit yeh that was a stupid move on my part".

I took out plenty of people who were using it and when I tried to use it I got owned.

So I seriously fail to see how its an overpowered, unbalanced weapon. Its use is severely limited, for example you wouldn't choose it to use in Horde mode would you? I think the only people moaning about it are the ones who are used to charging in all guns blazing with shotguns and don't like how the SOS makes that tactic a bit more risky.

Like I said earlier the SOS is less of an offensive weapon and more defensive I think, if you get caught by it, sure it's not that the guy is skillful, its that you made a mistake.

You cant determine if a weapon is offensive or defensive that is a player variable. Numbers. Facts. Sos has a greater kill range than the gnasher. Thats a fact. It requires no aiming because its horizontal spread (in addition to greater forward range than the gnasher) is ridiculously wide that's a fact. You do not need to learn basic gears CQC mobility because of its effective range thats a FACT. I'm not moaning or grumbling. I've used it and I've seen quite of few of my friends most of whom are beasts use it and as it is it is too good. If you account player skill as a variable the weapon gets considerably better. I personally cant use it with a straight face because it just makes me break out into a laugh of how ridiculously easy it is to mow down an entire team with virtually no real effort. Instead of bringing up horde why dont you read what other people are saying or watch the videos which clearly show you this information and consider the facts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom