• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 3 |OT| BROTHERS TO THE END

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reckoner

the game is starting to show its lack of maps in multiplayer for me. it really feels like there aren't enough maps compared to the other gears, even knowing that gears 2 has the worst mp maps.

sometimes I really think Epic doesn't like to make their games perfect. they made the most polished gears of the entire series and then what they do? they take off content. this makes me really disappointed.

the campaign is not feeling emotional (story-wise) and open enough to be enjoyable. I also thought the Lambent would bring new elements and a not so linear experience to the player. so far, it is showing that they are just some faster killing enemies with some weak spots on them. looks like I was wrong.

Rad-

I never got into Gears 1 or 2 multiplayer but so far I'm having a really good time with Horde. Surprised how much I'm enjoying it. Just setting up a base and defending it feels really fun to me.

I'm also a bit surprised how bad I'm at this game. I used to play competitive CS and UT so I'm generally good at FPSs but I seem to totally suck at TPSs. I'm not sure how to play this. Am I supposed to rush all the time (like most players do) or take it more slowly and camp behind corners or what? Any tips are appreciated.

Rad- said:
I never got into Gears 1 or 2 multiplayer but so far I'm having a really good time with Horde. Surprised how much I'm enjoying it. Just setting up a base and defending it feels really fun to me.

I'm also a bit surprised how bad I'm at this game. I used to play competitive CS and UT so I'm generally good at FPSs but I seem to totally suck at TPSs. I'm not sure how to play this. Am I supposed to rush all the time (like most players do) or take it more slowly and camp behind corners or what? Any tips are appreciated.
little bit of both, you just gotta find what's appropriate for the situation. if it's a large group i'll pick at them with hammerburst and if it's someone on there own i might work in on them with gnasher. and never be afraid to run away from a fight if you get outnumbered or you need to gather up your health.

mbmonk

For those waiting/wanting to join the Gears 3 GAF IV tag, as a temporary measure Add gamertag "Gears 3 Gaf 4" (Notice it's the number 4 not the Roman Numeral) to find fellow gaffers online.

Does anyone want to trade some character codes for my commando Dom and/or savage grenadier elite? I'm in Australia so there aren't many different characters going around, would be cool to have something unique.

Reckoner said:
the game is starting to show its lack of maps in multiplayer for me. it really feels like there aren't enough maps compared to the other gears, even knowing that gears 2 has the worst mp maps.

sometimes I really think Epic doesn't like to make their games perfect. they made the most polished gears of the entire series and then what they do? they take off content. this makes me really disappointed.

the campaign is not feeling emotional (story-wise) and open enough to be enjoyable. I also thought the Lambent would bring new elements and a not so linear experience to the player. so far, it is showing that they are just some faster killing enemies with some weak spots on them. looks like I was wrong.

What? No.

Well, out of the box you might be right. Kind of fuzzy on that. But the Snowblind and Combustible map packs had good shit.

But yeah, Gears of War (the original) definitely had the best maps of the whole bunch.

Fallacy

Neo Member
The Antitype said:
I swear to christ, are people invincible mid-mantle? I've nailed people with the gnasher coming over cover like 5 times, and every time, they waltz through and SOS me.
In short, yes. You are not allowed to hit people while they are mantling. move to the side and shoot them after they land.

I've bought it with a friend (local coop ftw), and...does anybody find it easier than the previous games ?

I mean, my friend and I were struggling in 1 and 2, and here we breezed through it in one sitting until act 5.

Arjen

Tribes of Trusty said:
I've bought it with a friend (local coop ftw), and...does anybody find it easier than the previous games ?

I mean, my friend and I were struggling in 1 and 2, and here we breezed through it in one sitting until act 5.

yeah, hardcore is really easy this time.

-PXG-

mbmonk said:
For those waiting/wanting to join the Gears 3 GAF IV tag, as a temporary measure Add gamertag "Gears 3 Gaf 4" (Notice it's the number 4 not the Roman Numeral) to find fellow gaffers online.

Actually, if you wouldn't mind, we can just use your tag as the fourth one instead. I would really appreciate it.

All you have to do is check xbox.com a few times a day to add people. Nothing major.

EDIT

I changed the link so it goes to the tag you made

Reckoner

The Antitype said:
What? No.

Well, out of the box you might be right. Kind of fuzzy on that. But the Snowblind and Combustible map packs had good shit.

But yeah, Gears of War (the original) definitely had the best maps of the whole bunch.
I was referring to the out of the box maps, obviously. yeah, there were some snowblind and even dark corners maps which I loved. not so for the combustible maps that were kinda unbalanced quality-wise. IIRC, the map that I really enjoyed playing of that DLC was Gold Rush.

Hixx

I'm fucking convinced the shotgun damage is fucking random. Sick of shooting someone just before they shoot me, them absorbing the shot, not even getting fucking downed but they gib me. just fuck off.

HixxSAFC said:
I'm fucking convinced the shotgun damage is fucking random. Sick of shooting someone just before they shoot me, them absorbing the shot, not even getting fucking downed but they gib me. just fuck off.

Welcome to Gears, man. That's how you play pro-style!

So uh, Act 2 spoilers:
That Corpser battle... I'm playing it on Insanity, and I keep getting killed by nothing. I'll be killing the tiny Corpsers or shooting at the big one from far away, and suddenly I'm taking damage like I'm getting shot at. Does the Corpser have laser eyes or something? Because this is fucking bullshit.

Willeth

Blue Ninja said:
So uh, Act 2 spoilers:
That Corpser battle... I'm playing it on Insanity, and I keep getting killed by nothing. I'll be killing the tiny Corpsers or shooting at the big one from far away, and suddenly I'm taking damage like I'm getting shot at. Does the Corpser have laser eyes or something? Because this is fucking bullshit.
There are medium ones that tunnel around also. Same as the one earlier in the act, they can tunnel underground, pop up a claw, and gib instantly on Insane. Keep an ear out for tunneling and keep your head on a swivel and dodge when you can. Every time you shoot an eye out of the mother you'll get some - one the first time, two the second, and so on. You can largely ignore the hatchlings and mop them up afterward.

AEREC

Finally beat this last night, some spoiler free impressions:

Pros:

+Silverbacks are awesome (hope they show up in MP at some point, maybe with a game mode centered around them).

+The second half of the game looked amazing.

+ Some parts of the story were effective to me (mainly
Dom's Death
).

Cons:

+ Story was meh.

+ Game was incredibly easy on Hardcore (I must've only died like 6 times in the whole game...half of them bein gat the last boss).

+ First half of the game is a jagged mess with poor image quality.

I think I may have liked Gears 2 campaign better, but still Im not the biggest gears fan but somehow I feel compelled to play them. The story feels like it tries to hard to be interesting and emotional but just comes off being silly. Good thing the MP is 100x better than Gears 2 though.

icespide

Banned
me and 2 other buddies spent almost 3 hours last night trying to beat the lambent zerker on hardcore in act 3 and still failed. that fight is a fucking bitch holy shit

icespide said:
me and 2 other buddies spent almost 3 hours last night trying to beat the lambent zerker on hardcore in act 3 last night and still failed. that fight is a fucking bitch holy shit
I'm not looking forward to that on Insane :/

Superimposer

This is getting weirder all the time
Here comes a stupid question.

If I download the Season Pass on a different gamertag on my hard drive, I would be able to use it on my main one right?

Hixx

Dax01 said:
If this game uses dedicated servers, why does the game give a player "host" and if he leaves, the game stops?

Not every match is on dedicated. I think Horde isn't on them at all, it's just versus and sometimes all the dedis go down so its p2p or nothing. Last night was the first time it's been a problem for me.

Willeth

Superimposer said:
Here comes a stupid question.

If I download the Season Pass on a different gamertag on my hard drive, I would be able to use it on my main one right?
You might expect, but it might be exempt from the usual licence rules. I'd imagine so, though - my bet would be the maps would work but the weapon skins wouldn't.

HixxSAFC said:
Not every match is on dedicated. I think Horde isn't on them at all, it's just versus and sometimes all the dedis go down so its p2p or nothing. Last night was the first time it's been a problem for me.
Sometimes they go offline? I haven't seen anywhere in the game that tells me the dedicated servers are offline so I know. I was playing Wingman last night and the game stopped because the host left.

Why take 'em offline? Are they usually on for certain hours of the day?

Gr1mLock said:
This game is just so fucking frustrating sometimes.
This.

I always feel I do perfect shots but I don't get the kill, a person aims and shoots at my feet and I die instantly haha jffhkyffjkyddhkgv

Still fun though, gotta get more horde mode, haven't got much matches :(

MarshMellow96 said:
Am I dense? Have I missed this at the menu or something.
Don't worry, you aren't. There is no server status indicator in the game.

I'm not saying I have a magical way of knowing if the servers are up or not, but I read Cliff and Rod saying they were having some trouble with them some hours ago. Coupled with many complaints of people playing on p2p... guess the servers are acting up.

X-Frame

What's the point of playing Versus in the morning if every server lags (US)?

Am I being matched with overseas servers? Surely there's enough US players for me to play with. I don't understand what the problem is. I am teleporting over the maps all this morning yet no problems at night.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Last night was finally the first time I played with my whole Gears 3 team, and as expected, people were getting torn up. Played some King of the Hill matches, and sometimes we were getting disappointed when we didn't give the other team 150-0 shutouts. Best of all was getting multiple triples with the Gnasher on Sawed-Off users and watching them quit the next match.

And man oh man - the SOS complaints on the last page, especially from The Antitype. So many posts that I'm not even going to bother quoting them.

Look, it's annoying to get shot by the gun, yes. But if all you're going to do is bitch bitch bitch, then nothing is going to change, you're still going to get killed by it.

The Gnasher, and any rifle will put down a SOS rusher at distance/in the open, and if he's hiding behind cover? Flush him out with any grenade. Take the corner wide and soften him up with bullets. Get a teammate to help flush him out from another direction. Mark the guy so that even if you're playing with randoms, they're aware and they'll shoot him too. Get in close and then go back to fake him out to shoot, then light him up as he does the run of shame. And etcetera, etcetera, etcereta.

The first step is to know he's there. Second step if you didn't already know is that the gun has lights all around the base and front of it so you know it's a SOS. Thirdly, recognize the character so that even if you see the bastard from a distance, you spot him and keep him red and annoyed. Fourthly, learn the distance - it's probably more than you think, so keep him at a longer distance than you think and put him down in 2-3 Gnasher shots, then pound him in the face/rip his arm off and beat him with it for trying to get you with the gun.

Do I get mad when I get killed by it? Sure. But the few times I actually get killed by it is when I'm killing others and my teammates didn't watch him and he gets me in my back, which of course I would have been dead with a Gnasher or chainsaw anyways. M favorite thing to use against SOS guys is the fake, because you know they feel stupid when they miss and are frantically running while I'm damaging them, to the point where they jam their reload. For corner campers especially, as soon as they come out of the corner, immediately shoot while walking backwards - if it's clean, he WILL go down in the next shot, third shot tops. Bonus points for when his screen is red and he shoots out of fear and you laugh at his dumbass.

Stop bitching and play smarter. The gun has so many downsides to its one-shot gib, and you're crazy if it's worth being a pickup weapon. And yes The Antitype - a weapon that can put people down in three regular shots, two super-fast perfect reload shots and headshot in two perfect reload shots, from anywhere in the map, including while holding a meatshield, is more than worthy of being a map pickup weapon.

Playing in a Ranked match of Team deathmatch and someone just revived themselves as I ran towards them. WTF!?

Its not in the casual mode thingy either.

Lima

X-Frame said:
Am I being matched with overseas servers? Surely there's enough US players for me to play with. I don't understand what the problem is. I am teleporting over the maps all this morning yet no problems at night.

And now you know how most Europeans feel. There are enough players from Europe playing at all times, yet you always get matched to US players and you get serious lag.

KennyLinder said:
Playing in a Ranked match of Team deathmatch and someone just revived themselves as I ran towards them. WTF!?

You can press the A button to get yourself up.

Superimposer

KennyLinder said:

Its not in the casual mode thingy either.

Where's the WTF? That's a feature of the game now. And a good one in my eyes. Presents a good choice - either move into cover and get a teammate to revive or stay still, risking exposure to revive yourself.

DR3AM

Dreams of a world where inflated review scores save studios
you can get up on your own in team death match after like 10 seconds

Darklord

Banned
It pisses me off when the game won't let you execute if a guy is downed near you. It just points the camera to him. So I go over, revive, as soon as I turn back the guy gets up and kills me with a shotgun. Fucking bullshit.

Tried out Horde and Beast mode last night. Holy crap are they fun. Some of the best co-op I've played.
The additions to Horde mode are so well thought out and it runs so smooth. Job well done Epic.

Superimposer said:
Where's the WTF? That's a feature of the game now. And a good one in my eyes. Presents a good choice - either move into cover and get a teammate to revive or stay still, risking exposure to revive yourself.

I guess I always get killed before I can get myself up again. Do you just have to hammer A and you'll get up yourself? You can't in the Solo campaign though can you? You just die if nobody revives you.

Superimposer

KennyLinder said:
I guess I always get killed before I can get myself up again. Do you just have to hammer A and you'll get up yourself? You can't in the Solo campaign though can you? You just die if nobody revives you.

No, you can't do it in the campaign because that would make it too easy I think, plus if all 4 of you went down techncially you could all get back up which is a bit cheap.

Yeah, you stay still and hammer A.

So I went to a Gears 3 LAN last night. I usually don't like playing Multiplayer Versus, but this was different. When we all banned the SOS from being used, it was like good ol' Gears again and I wasn't getting frustrated.

I really do think the SOS is the reason I don't really play Versus anymore, and I hope there will eventually be playlists that restrict it.

Darklord said:
It pisses me off when the game won't let you execute if a guy is downed near you. It just points the camera to him. So I go over, revive, as soon as I turn back the guy gets up and kills me with a shotgun. Fucking bullshit.
I had the opposite happen. I press X to help out a friend, but instead the game prioritized taking the downed opponent as a meatshield. Friend died :(

X-Frame said:
What's the point of playing Versus in the morning if every server lags (US)?

Playing ranked?

My experience last night suggested that you'll be PvP about 90% of the time if you run a group of 5. From what I could surmise, only the first set of matches the game searches for are on servers. This amounted to as low as 1(lol) and as high as 9 dedi server matches. My group of 5 were rarely put in this first group, but when we were, the game was like the first night I played it: perfect.

After it failed to put us in this first grouping, though, it searched for another 20 matches, which were definitely always PvP. Before I ran with my group last night, I played a few matches by myself, where I was put into the first grouping rather easily and again, great connection.

So for ranked at least, it appears that you have the choice of running with randoms on a good connection or running with friends and dealing with bullshit unless you're lucky enough to host.

I will suggest that my group do quick matches today and see if that works better. Playing ranked in a group seems to be an exercise in frustration.

skyfinch

Silly question but when I go to do an execution, the character does the face punch animation rather than the specific weapon execution. What am I doing wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom