• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 3 |OT| BROTHERS TO THE END

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Antitype said:
So yeah... average maybe? Below average? Don't really care. My title on MP is 'K/D Indifferent' for a reason.

Still trying to get that one lol. Though I have 2.5 k/d, I fucking rake in the assists and I'm perfectly fine with that.

And how do you check k/d for specific gametypes?

The Xtortionist said:
Still trying to get that one lol. Though I have 2.5 k/d, I fucking rake in the assists and I'm perfectly fine with that.

And how do you check k/d for specific gametypes?

Go to stats, and head to the Leaderboards tab, pick ranked/quickmatch/private, cycle to the gametype you want, and then hit A on your name on the leaderboards.

AnnSwag

angry @ Blu-Ray's success
People need to stop complaining about the Sawed-Off, it's a fair enough weapon. When anytime someone's getting killed by it, they tend to complain, but when their killing people with it, it's another story.

JambiBum

I have no problems with the SOS. People use it the same way that people used to use the gnasher before stopping power was introduced. People hid around corners with the gnasher all of the time. They would also run straight at you. It's the exact same game play style. I die by the SOS maybe twice a match. Either by someone sneaking up on me or my own fault not noticing the gun. Once I realize that they have it its no longer an issue.

I put the people who complain about it the most into two categories. Those who just want to get into gnasher battles all the time and those who can't counter the gun effectively.

Everyone will complain about it from time to time (I know I do) but the people who obsess over it just take it to the extremes.

The Antitype said:
Go to stats, and head to the Leaderboards tab, pick ranked/quickmatch/private, cycle to the gametype you want, and then hit A on your name on the leaderboards.

Damn, 2.9 k/d and 7.0 w/l for TDM

Come at me bros

2th

Banned
-PXG- said:
I bet this has already been posted, but LOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLzJNkM6CLM

The guy makes a really good point.

actually he does not make a really good point. People are completely hung up on the description of the DBS being "Melee range" and are taking that way to literally. It still has a short range and given the variety of weapons that allow you to keep people at a distance then if you are letting someone get that close, you probably deserve to die.

Furthermore, making a DBS-less playlist would run into the same problem as an OSP playlist, segmenting the community. So making one would not be a win /win situation. What would be a win/win situation would be people bitching less and learning how to play the game how it was given to us.

-PXG- said:
I bet this has already been posted, but LOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLzJNkM6CLM

The guy makes a really good point.
this is exactly what happened to me the other night. me vs 3. killed 2 guys and the last one just ran up and SOS'ed me. i watched my gnasher pellets (ALL OF THEM) hit him square in the chest, not even downing him, and he gibbed me. :( i hate to be that guy who complains about OP weapons, but that really sucks.

i'm hoping they have stat tracking going on at epic that shows the % of SOS vs gnasher kills.

The Xtortionist said:
Generally just me and 2-3 others. IIRC, only full parties I've played with were on ranked KotH with PXG and friends.

Cool. I've just been jumping in with randoms, and the only reason I'm really playing is to get the Classic Marcus skin.

I'm for sleeves on my jacked-up COG soldiers. :p

Sushen

Jadedx said:
You quit before the designated quiting period, if you do that they take away points.
When is designated quiting period? It seems like the game wants me to go on forever and when I quit out even after a full game (not round), it records it as a disconnect!

As a dedicated COD player, MP takes some getting used to. At least, with having to finish off enemies, I see a preview of 'Kill Confirmed' mode. I'm no sniper, but I like keeping distance from my enemies using my rifles in COD, and I have way too many downs compared to kills.

On the other hand, Gears players seem not very used to pranking, which is great news for me.

Sushen said:
When is designated quiting period? It seems like the game wants me to go on forever and when I quit out even after a full game (not round), it records it as a disconnect!

As a dedicated COD player, MP takes some getting used to. At least, with having to finish off enemies, I see a preview of 'Kill Confirmed' mode. I'm no sniper, but I like keeping distance from my enemies using my rifles in COD, and I have way too many downs compared to kills.

On the other hand, Gears players seem not very used to pranking, which is great news for me.

When the game is counting down to the next match, with your stats on the screen, you can quit without a point deduction.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
Gr1mLock said:
You're arguing your feelings and experiences. Im talking about a weapon that takes an entire chunk of the meta game out. Its a big deal because of the risk reward. That's why. The reload time simply isnt enough of a drawback as it does not take much for a Sos user who can distinguish up from down to run away. There is no strategy. Hence it takes skill out of the equation and makes the game shallow on a competitive level. As far as what id do to make it fair for everyone? Im never a fan (or very rarely) of nerfing. For better or worse people tie their experience and the fun they have to a particular character, weapon etc..and as much as I may not like something i realize there's plenty of people out there who do. If it were me doing the balancing, Id reduce its close range horizontal spread. Id leave the medium range spread (which can still gib) but up close Id at least ask the player to point the gun in the right direction.

Horizontal range is something I can get behind, the clip of the SOS gibbing someone to the side who isn't even in the screen when zoomed in is nuts. I don't like the potenial it has for killing someone around a corner either. Distance-wise I don't have a problem with it so far but maybe I haven't run into the right people who wield it in such a way that I feel cheated or helpless. A slight reduction so that it really is melee range or slightly more than melee is fine with me.

I don't agree that its a gun that requires no skill and is purely for inexperienced players to get even. I've played Gears for hundreds of hours and I can't even get a kill on a regular basis with the SOS - granted I may have only tried it during the server issues. I think only strong players will get any kind of decent use out of it.

Plus it only has like 4 rounds right?

Admittedly I have no idea what the competitive Gears scene is like and how it's receiving the gun.

-PXG-

I had to bail. Fucking drama up in my household. Doubt I will be back on tonight :/ So pissed off right now.

Really sorry. Plus, I accidentally had it set to 15 rounds.

X-Frame

-PXG- said:
I had to bail. Fucking drama up in my household. Doubt I will be back on tonight :/ So pissed off right now.

Really sorry. Plus, I accidentally had it set to 15 rounds.

Saw your invites before, sorry I didn't join I am finishing up the campaign (I'm Supercharged XF).

Definitely will join up with any other GAF'ers next time though. I'm done.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
kaizoku said:
Horizontal range is something I can get behind, the clip of the SOS gibbing someone to the side who isn't even in the screen when zoomed in is nuts. I don't like the potenial it has for killing someone around a corner either. Distance-wise I don't have a problem with it so far but maybe I haven't run into the right people who wield it in such a way that I feel cheated or helpless. A slight reduction so that it really is melee range or slightly more than melee is fine with me.

I don't agree that its a gun that requires no skill and is purely for inexperienced players to get even. I've played Gears for hundreds of hours and I can't even get a kill on a regular basis with the SOS - granted I may have only tried it during the server issues. I think only strong players will get any kind of decent use out of it.

Plus it only has like 4 rounds right?

Admittedly I have no idea what the competitive Gears scene is like and how it's receiving the gun.

Competitive gears scene is pretty campy. Its map control/power weapon grabs. As far as the skill thing goes considering that you aren't required to aim, its definitely the weapon with the smallest learning curve in the game. Its still extremely early in the game's life cycle so strategies and weapon application will change across all levels of competitive play.

Dan Yo

Banned
In ranked last night I beat an xshroomx and a Mr. Sk0al in warzone. Are those Gaf members or something? Those names seemed very familiar to me.

Gav47

I'm consdering getting the Limited edition, always wanted a proper COG, what are the included extras like? Do you think they're worth the extra €15?

JB1981

Getting outclassed left and right tonight. I'm just such shit with shotgun, my only saving grace is to use retro up close

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
JB1981 said:
Getting outclassed left and right tonight. I'm just such shit with shotgun, my only saving grace is to use retro up close

The shotgun is still so touch and go for me as well. Sometimes I'll get into a rhythm and technique which works really effectively for me. I use a lot of pop shots now whereas sometimes I'll forget and try to hold LT.

This video is useful for hipfire tips (he says blindfire, he means hipfire!): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2VXsE32L90

I found this one useful for pop shots and help making decisions and just all round play: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wY6VCHZxhO8 but this one is from the beta so some of it may be out of date.

JB1981

Trying to learn how to wall bounce and I'm getting better at it. I think, honestly, you are better off playing really aggressively in this game.

kaizoku said:
The shotgun is still so touch and go for me as well. Sometimes I'll get into a rhythm and technique which works really effectively for me. I use a lot of pop shots now whereas sometimes I'll forget and try to hold LT.

This video is useful for hipfire tips (he says blindfire, he means hipfire!): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2VXsE32L90

I found this one useful for pop shots and help making decisions and just all round play: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wY6VCHZxhO8 but this one is from the beta so some of it may be out of date.

That first video might be the most helpful video I've seen for GoW3. Thanks!

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
JB1981 said:
Keep in mind servers are down. Lots of bullshit surfacing again due to lag.

JB1981

RSTEIN said:
Keep in mind servers are down. Lots of bullshit surfacing again due to lag.

I even suck with shotgun when I should have an easy kill. Like I will be coming up on a guy whose back is toward me and I will STILL MISS. haha ... I think it also has a lot to do with how hard it is to track well in third-person. I am getting better but I just wish my play was more consistent. It also helps to be on a good, supportive team.

Trying to solo my way through Insane now. Shit is certainly different now, a few shots will kill you and unlike in the other 3 difficulties, getting downed is actually a death as opposed to just waiting a second for the AI to pick you up. I'm actually hanging back, picking my shots, marking targets for the AI to shoot at, and trying to make headshots.

Boogdud

JB1981 said:
I even suck with shotgun when I should have an easy kill. Like I will be coming up on a guy whose back is toward me and I will STILL MISS. haha ... I think it also has a lot to do with how hard it is to track well in third-person. I am getting better but I just wish my play was more consistent. It also helps to be on a good, supportive team.

You are not alone my friend. I absolutely suck with the shotguns. The aiming with your elbow trick might help me though, it just looks so 'wrong' that I would never try to do it without the help of that video. It seems like the actual shot goes about 3 feet to the right of where I would expect it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom