• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 3 |OT| BROTHERS TO THE END

Status
Not open for further replies.

JB1981

Boogdud said:
You are not alone my friend. I absolutely suck with the shotguns. The aiming with your elbow trick might help me though, it just looks so 'wrong' that I would never try to do it without the help of that video. It seems like the actual shot goes about 3 feet to the right of where I would expect it.

yea i just watched that video too, aim for elbow tip might help me. i will probably hop on again later and try it out. game is crack!

Plasmid

Went through waves 1-50 today on casual.

Also got waves 1-12 Beast mode insane no failing done.

Good day, 2 levels in a day, probably hit 41/42 by the end of tonight considerring HW.

charsace

Boogdud said:
You are not alone my friend. I absolutely suck with the shotguns. The aiming with your elbow trick might help me though, it just looks so 'wrong' that I would never try to do it without the help of that video. It seems like the actual shot goes about 3 feet to the right of where I would expect it.
I use the character's head to aim. His eyes are somewhere and they looking at the target.

Kard8p3

Alright so last night I was playing team death match offline with a friend. During an auto-save moment the game froze. We restarted and thought everything was fine because the menu's were working fine. However once you try to load up the game it just freezes no matter the mode. We tried deleting all data off the 360 and reinstalling it and still it did this. Today we even traded it in for another copy and still have the same problem. We're not having the problem with any of the other games we've tried. Does anyone know what could be wrong?

Xevren

Kard8p3 said:
Alright so last night I was playing team death match offline with a friend. During an auto-save moment the game froze. We restarted and thought everything was fine because the menu's were working fine. However once you try to load up the game it just freezes no matter the mode. We tried deleting all data off the 360 and reinstalling it and still it did this. Today we even traded it in for another copy and still have the same problem. We're not having the problem with any of the other games we've tried. Does anyone know what could be wrong?

Could be your 360.

Was playing horde and everyone quits. I die and decide to end the game but it still counts as a disconnect.

That's fucking retarded.

Kard8p3 said:
Every other game works fine though so why would gears 3 be the only game to freeze?

Have you tried using a diff profile?

I just finished the game today. Man there are some parts in the game that I had hard time with just playing by myself. I could imagine insane mode right now lol. I really enjoyed the story mode.

-PXG-

LeonSKennedy90 said:
lol me, PXG, and Ballistik just blew out some noisy ass kids in KOTH
Man, can we get sime competition up in here. I don't count victories unless we completely shut them out.

Lol...they lost a dude already :p

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
How are you supposed to unlock the cleaver execution? It's not on any MP map but it's listed under stats requiring 40 kills with it.

Papercuts said:
How are you supposed to unlock the cleaver execution? It's not on any MP map but it's listed under stats requiring 40 kills with it.

Campaign. You are allowed to kill people in campaign, you know. :p

The Xtortionist said:

Haven't run into any Cleavers in Horde yet... ?

In any case, both options are preferable to the competitive MP, which is the weakest component of this package.

The Antitype said:

Campaign kills don't count for executions unlocks, or I would have had my Lancer execution after going through campaign twice .

The Antitype said:

Savage Therons and Butchers carry them.

Nori Chan

Plasmid said:
Went through waves 1-50 today on casual.

Also got waves 1-12 Beast mode insane no failing done.

Good day, 2 levels in a day, probably hit 41/42 by the end of tonight considerring HW.
Any tips? Maps? PEOPLE?

The Xtortionist said:
Campaign kills don't count for executions unlocks, or I would have had my Lancer execution after going through campaign twice .

Pretty sure arcade mode kills do? I swear I saw the ticker going up after every 10 or so...

The Antitype said:
Pretty sure arcade mode kills do? I swear I saw the ticker going up after every 10 or so...

idk, I played arcade mode up until the last chapter and still didn't have the Lancer execution. I was top scorer for almost every chapter too.

Rimfya

Banned
I've played Horde a few times but only seen Cleavers once. Seems to be enemies come in waves (der...), like for 5 straight waves you get Butchers and the Theron dudes that have them.

Get the feeling enemy types aren't completely random round-to-round, but rather in sets of 10.

My god. There should be an international retard test conducted in Gears of War MP.

If you step your fat ass in front of a teammate shooting a lancer at someone, you pass.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
The Antitype said:

In any case, both options are preferable to the competitive MP, which is the weakest component of this package.

You automatically have all the weapon executions unlocked in SP, but you need the kills in MP to unlock it there.

I didn't even think about horde, though I haven't seen any butchers the few times I played so far.

The sympathizers are in denial. This game is currently unplayable with the SOS operating as is. There is NOTHING more tiresome than having an enemy emerge from behind cover, sprint at you, unfazed by THREE direct gnasher shots, to gib you in a single shot.

Epic, if you are going to base an entire game on coin-flip gameplay, then don't give players a weapon that lets them bypass it entirely.

Terrible.

Narpas Sword0 said:
I thought you said you were going to stop threadshitting?

Yeah, I keep thinking I will as I warm up to the game and then BAM!, it takes a nice, stinking dump on the player. And I have time to kill waiting for the 'matchmaking' (used generously) to find a match.

Ballistik

LeonSKennedy90 said:
Damn Balistik, I don't think we lost a game all day.

Good to finally play with ya, PXG
Yeah we didn't. Made the mistake of playing with my little cousin and his friends earlier today, bailed out after 2 losses.

Overall I'm around 120 wins and 18 losses.

The Antitype said:
Yeah, I keep thinking I will as I warm up to the game and then BAM!, it takes a nice, stinking dump on the player. And I have time to kill waiting for the 'matchmaking' (used generously) to find a match.

idk what happened. On Tuesday and Wednesday, matchmaking was literally instant. Press the button and you're in.

And have you tried the Retro? Eats rushing players alive, it's so strong that there's no need to rely on stopping power.

LogicStep

The game is amazing online, I love the MP. I have only played Team Deathmatch so far and the amount of terrible players out there is astounding. I mean, I'm not the best by any means but damn man, some people are just baaaaaaad.

Are ranked games the only ones done on Dedicated Servers?

Been playing quite a bit of multiplayer since I finished the campaign for the first time. Hoping that we get a Gears and Gears 2 map pack. Like one classic Gears map pack and then a Gears 2 map pack.

Rimfya

Banned
The Antitype said:
The sympathizers are in denial. This game is currently unplayable with the SOS operating as is. There is NOTHING more tiresome than having an enemy emerge from behind cover, sprint at you, unfazed by THREE direct gnasher shots, to gib you in a single shot.

The single greatest moment in Gears MP at the moment is having three people rush you with only one thought in their mind - sawed off - only to be mowed down one-by-one by your Lancer, before you even have to reload.

Don't walk close to walls around corners. Check your surroundings. Move slower. DON'T GET 3 FEET FROM SOMEONE WITH A SHOTGUN.

That last one is good advice for real life too btw.

Rimfya said:
The single greatest moment in Gears MP at the moment is having three people rush you with only one thought in their mind - sawed off - only to be mowed down one-by-one by your Lancer, before you even have to reload.

Don't walk close to walls around corners. Check your surroundings. Move slower. DON'T GET 3 FEET FROM SOMEONE WITH A SHOTGUN.

That last one is good advice for real life too btw.

Yeah, that's pretty much how I'm finding success. Use the Lancer, Retro and HB at range, and if somebody tries to come in close, use the gnasher as a last resort.

Gnasher. Last resort. SMH.

So essentially, anytime there's a hill to capture in a tight, enclosed area, I get to choose between cheap, unavoidable deaths, or leaving my team to die repeatedly and lose.

Depending on the previous performance and teamwork exhibited by the team, this choice can be easier than it sounds.

The Antitype said:
So essentially, anytime there's a hill to capture in a tight, enclosed area, I get to choose between cheap, unavoidable deaths, or leaving my team to die repeatedly and lose.

Yeah, objective gametypes in Gears are kinda ass for that reason.

The campaign's ending battle is... lame, especially when you're playing Solo. You just can't depend on the allied AI to do the right thing and you have seemingly no tactical options available to you.

I can't
fight the battle, AND the boss AND keep up with ammo supplies AND avoid the enemy's uber-weapon AND stick with my team. Sometime's they'll revive me in a heartbeat and sometimes they'll ignore me. Seems like luck of the draw.

Like most of the game it looks like it'd be a much better time in co-op, but for a game that allows you to solo there has to be a better way of handling these kinds of engagements.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom