• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 3 |OT| BROTHERS TO THE END

Status
Not open for further replies.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
GhostRidah said:
Why are my beta gun skins unlocked but not my Cole skin? I did get it in beta.. :(
Did you actually do all the challenge in the beta that unlocked Cole and then did you play with Cole in 10 games or whatever during the beta?

enzo_gt said:
Did you actually do all the challenge in the beta that unlocked Cole and then did you play with Cole in 10 games or whatever during the beta?
I know I unlocked him, im not sure on the 10 games things.. ugh

snack said:
What is this? Can someone explain this elbow trick?

Basically the notion that the game actively punishes players for, you know, AIMING, so you're better off firing from the hip and eyeballing the general direction of the shot based on your character's elbow.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
The Antitype said:
Basically the notion that the game actively punishes players for, you know, AIMING, so you're better off firing from the hip and eyeballing the general direction of the shot based on your character's elbow.
This is a flaw with the entire series. The entire weight of the game focused around shotguns is completely counter intuitive to how every other shooter has developed in terms of balancing the utility of the entire games' arsenals of weapons to be equal. Gears just decides the Gnasher in general should be "overpowered" and rolls with it. And then they introduced the SOS.

This flavour of balancing, or lack thereof is something the core fanbase likes though. So.. *shrug*

snack

The Antitype said:
Oh, okay. I'm gonna try this out. Thanks!

Kawl_USC

The Antitype said:

Dude holy fucking shit. You are such a fucking complainer. Stop shittting up the thread. Seriously.

Moaradin said:
Yea, fuck the SOS. Needs to be seriously nerfed. Not sure how it got by with the beta and all.

The statistics showed that the SOS wasn't getting a significant amount of kills...

...which is bullshit logic imo. When Halo CE came out, I'm sure the Assault Rifle was getting 10x the amount of kills as the pistol (at least in my playgroup), simply because nobody knew how good the pistol was. How often a weapon is used doesn't necessarily go hand-in-hand with its effectiveness.

-PXG- said:
Real talk:

You're a pussy if you use the SOS.

Fuck you.

It's absolutely awful in KoTH.

Understandable, but personally I play to win and won't intentionally gimp myself for any reason. If the SOS is the best option, I'm going to abuse the shit out of it. I use whatever tactics give me the highest chance of winning.

What is wrong with me? I'm almost through Act 3, and I'm just not that impressed so far. I mean, the visuals are at times some of the best I've ever seen, but aside from that so far I had a lot more fun with the campaigns in Gears 1 and 2. Hopefully it gets better...

dmg04

#DEADWRONG
-PXG- said:
Real talk:

Fuck you.

Spawns on KoTH are fucking ridiculous. I'm not playing that shit until something is done, lol.

dmg04 said:
Spawns on KoTH are fucking ridiculous. I'm not playing that shit until something is done, lol.

Finally someone agrees with me. Doesn't appear to be any spawn-logic at work. Spawn three enemies literally right on top of me after the hill moves? Sweet dude!

The spawns on KOTH can be pretty wacky. I was playing earlier on Drydock with Balistik and PXG, we spawned behind the team, then THEY spawned behind us, then WE SPAWNED RIGHT BEHIND THEM! I think its just a mixture of the focal points in battle constantly moving, so the spawns are just gonna appear in places you don't want them to(I.E. right behind your ass, and then THEY get spawn protection :/)

LuchaShaq

Banned
Question about Beast mode.

Are the upper tiers unlocked by money earned or money spent or something different?

I LOVE every mode so far, only real change I'd make is nerf SOS a ton (never satisfying to kill or die with that p.o.s. imo) and make rolling slower/less far in MP.

Lothars

The Xtortionist said:
Finally someone agrees with me. Doesn't appear to be any spawn-logic at work. Spawn three enemies literally right on top of me after the hill moves? Sweet dude!
I agree the spawning is something that they need to fix, I hope that's something that will be addressed,

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
LuchaShaq said:
Question about Beast mode.

Are the upper tiers unlocked by money earned or money spent or something different?

I LOVE every mode so far, only real change I'd make is nerf SOS a ton (never satisfying to kill or die with that p.o.s. imo) and make rolling slower/less far in MP.
Money earned from the look of it. More kills/fortifications destroyed = faster unlocks, that much is clear for sure.

I just battled an entire team off a hill using an ink grenade, Lancer fire and the gnasher, before the last guy and I had a mutual-kill (SOS, obviously).

Not ONE member of my team even bothered approaching the hill to cap it, let alone help me.

-PXG- said:
Real talk:

Fuck you.

I done told y'all. You can judge a person's character by which shotgun they use in Gears 3. I wouldn't even want to shop from the same grocery store as a sawed-off user. Scum of the Earth, they are.

The Antitype said:
I just battled an entire team off a hill using an ink grenade, Lancer fire and the gnasher, before the last guy and I had a mutual-kill (SOS, obviously).

Not ONE member of my team even bothered approaching the hill to cap it, let alone help me.

Maybe find a team to play with?

tsigo

Net_Wrecker said:
I done told y'all. You can judge a person's character by which shotgun they use in Gears 3. I wouldn't even want to shop from the same grocery store as a sawed-off user. Scum of the Earth, they are.

While I agree, anyone who's actually trying to go for medals like Seriously 3.0 or some of the "starting guns" ones is basically required to use it at least some of the time. I guess you can identify those people in that they don't use it exclusively, though.

Grisby

Had some bad rounds tonight. Then I went over to a KOTH match and tore up. Loved it. Gears can kick ya down and bring up back in the sound of a chainsaw execution.

Grisby said:
Had some bad rounds tonight. Then I went over to a KOTH match and tore up. Loved it. Gears can kick ya down and bring up back in the sound of a chainsaw execution.

I felt that way about the first Gears of War. For every match you felt like snapping the disk in half, you had a match that made you feel like the biggest badass on the planet.

Gotta say my faith in humanity dropped several points when somebody downed me, picked me up as a human shield, but then bent me over a truck and uh...yeah.

Ramirez

Kusagari said:
It's sad how amazing this game would be if the SoS didn't exist.

Pretty much. I see myself dropping this game pretty quick once BF3 hits, and it's solely because 99% of the people I play just run around abusing the SOS. The game is down right fantastic aside from that one huge blemish...just give me a playlist that doesn't have it!!

Ramirez said:
Pretty much. I see myself dropping this game pretty quick once BF3 hits, and it's solely because 99% of the people I play just run around abusing the SOS. The game is down right fantastic aside from that one huge blemish...just give me a playlist that doesn't have it!!

I think you and I are in the same boat. Once BF3 and Halo: Anniversary hit (along with the Title Update changes), I think my competitive multiplayer time is going to be pretty much booked for the next six months.

I can see myself playing Horde Mode 2.0 and Spec Ops (MW3) for awhile though.

The Antitype said:
I think you and I are in the same boat. Once BF3 and Halo: Anniversary hit (along with the Title Update changes), I think my competitive multiplayer time is going to be pretty much booked for the next six months.

Shit, I know. I'll be juggling Gears 3, MW3, BF3, Uncharted 3, and post-patch Reach. Shit's gonna be rough, especially with Skyrim on the horizon.

I can see myself playing Horde Mode 2.0 and Spec Ops (MW3) for awhile though.

There's an achievement for getting to wave 15 in Survival in all 16 maps, so that should keep you busy for a while : )

Please fix the Sawed-Off, Epic.

The Xtortionist said:
Shit, I know. I'll be juggling Gears 3, MW3, BF3, Uncharted 3, and post-patch Reach. Shit's gonna be rough, especially with Skyrim on the horizon.

There's an achievement for getting to wave 15 in Survival in all 16 maps, so that should keep you busy for a while : )

Please fix the Sawed-Off, Epic.

Damn, I hadn't really been following the multiplayer in Uncharted 3, but GoW3 has really put me in the mood for a good third-person mp shooter. So I might have to add that one into the rotation too.

I'm actually less interested in the Survival missions of Spec Ops than the MW2-style objective missions. I loved that shit in MW2, my buddies and I replayed those on Hardened and Veteran a thousand times, never seemed to get old.

The Antitype said:
Damn, I hadn't really been following the multiplayer in Uncharted 3, but GoW3 has really put me in the mood for a good third-person mp shooter. So I might have to add that one into the rotation too.

It's not perfect, but damn good nevertheless. Nothing really frustrating about it (LIKE THE SAWED OFF) and the UC GAF community is absolutely dominant at the game. I highly recommend it. Take advantage of the Subway promotion if you live in the U.S.

I'm actually less interested in the Survival missions of Spec Ops than the MW2-style objective missions. I loved that shit in MW2, my buddies and I replayed those on Hardened and Veteran a thousand times, never seemed to get old.

MW2 Spec Ops was the unsung hero of that game. Tons of legendary moments when playing co-op on Veteran. So challenging but it's totally worth it.

Oh, this is a Gears thread.

Still need to complete Beast on insane without failing. Maybe I'll get a party together for that tomorrow. I wants my Savage Theron.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom