• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 3 |OT| BROTHERS TO THE END

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dacon

Banned
So did anyone get a retro lancer replica?

I'd love some pics of it, mostly from the bottom angle ;_;

Working on a Gears 3 pic, and I wish I could take pics from the game itself.

Net_Wrecker said:
We're jumping the shark now with Lancer complaints. C'mon son. The rifles are nowhere near the issue here.

Let's get the SOS Hate Train back on the rails please.

Absolutely. Epic definitely handled the Retro AR well after the beta. Every AR has a great place in the sandbox, none of them are too effective or versatile.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
SOS is really annoying. I think they should increase the reload time by a few more seconds. I'm gonna start using it now before the inevitable nerfing.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Got lucky and joined a game on insane with a guy who had Super Reload (I don't have to grind for it myself!). Done with Insanity campaign and almost done with the single player. Now I can just kick back with Horde/Beast.

Gr1mLock said:
*patoonk*

You gotta listen to that shit through bassy headphones connected to a Mixamp 5.8 with bass boost on. It's like a miracle in your ear.

Also, on the topic of sound, this game has amazing sound. I never get caught off guard from behind.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Btw, Retro Lancer is a really good counter to the Sawed-off noobs. Good stopping power, and you can face punch the hell out of them once they're down.

Arjen

I think i already got my frustration about the SOS out during the beta, i'm not really raging about it a lot now.
That said, i do hate it and anybody that uses it.

rCIZZLE

Just bought it on faith since I loved the first two and I feel let down. TDM and the reduction of the real gametypes from 5 to 3 rounds ruined this game for me. Dedicated servers is really the only big addition but if I don't like the gametypes then it really doesn't matter, lol.

whitehawk

Banned
I've started using the SOS/Lancer combo, and it's great. I'm getting 45 kills in a KOTH match, with like 10 captures. 10,000 points, fuck yeah!

For anyone having troubles with the last bossfight on insane: play it in singleplayer. I just beat it on the third try, and if you're playing it solo it's a cakewalk compared to cooperatively. Why? Because Epic increased the difficulty in cooperative modes significantly. The boss needs more hits, you can take less damage, there are more enemies to fight and so on.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
vodka-bull said:
For anyone having troubles with the last bossfight on insane: play it in singleplayer. I just beat it on the third try, and if you're playing it solo it's a cakewalk compared to cooperatively. Why? Because Epic increased the difficulty in cooperative modes significantly. The boss needs more hits, you can take less damage, there are more enemies to fight and so on.
Yeah, I thought so. That Act 3-2 boss was so annoying on insane.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I did a couple of chapters on insane in co-op, and damn, you don't get downed at all?

The Xtortionist said:
You gotta listen to that shit through bassy headphones connected to a Mixamp 5.8 with bass boost on. It's like a miracle in your ear.

Also, on the topic of sound, this game has amazing sound. I never get caught off guard from behind.

And that head pop sound, so amazing. I could literally just play bot matches 24/7 with an infinite ammo longshot.

The Xtortionist said:

I've played through the entire campaign with my beyerdynamics DT 990. Eargasms all the time!

vodka-bull said:
I've played through the entire campaign with my beyerdynamics DT 990. Eargasms all the time!

You...also use DT990s?

CBAyS.jpg

Universaldamps

Neo Member
Got my first trash talk message sent to me over live after winning a standard TDM. The guy seemed to be upset over me doing alright in the game (I wasn't using SOS or el cheapo tactics either!). Some people baffle me..

I got trash talked by a random guy who was on my team that beat arcade mode on insane - YO MUTHAFUCKAS I USED YOU ALL AND WIPED MY ASS WITH YALL. THANKS FOR THE INSANE ACHIEVMENT!

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
robut said:
I got trash talked by a random guy who was on my team that beat arcade mode on insane - YO MUTHAFUCKAS I USED YOU ALL AND WIPED MY ASS WITH YALL. THANKS FOR THE INSANE ACHIEVMENT!

I got hate mail for torquing the entire team. 'U ass with every other weapon' ah the internets.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Made a slo-mo gif. Man, no one does Sniper and Shotgun gibs better than Epic.

animation1baot.gif

@Xtortionist, yeah that fight was broken but the boss was pretty cool.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Gr1mLock said:
I got hate mail for torquing the entire team. 'U ass with every other weapon' ah the internets.
People who send hatemail need to step away from their xbox and do something productive, because they obviously take video games way too seriously.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
thetrin said:
People who send hatemail need to step away from their xbox and do something productive, because they obviously take video games way too seriously.
Nah, this game riles people up, which is not a bad thing of course, as it shows that the game is pretty competitive. It was even worse in Gears 1.

LowParry

Meisadragon said:
SOS is really annoying. I think they should increase the reload time by a few more seconds. I'm gonna start using it now before the inevitable nerfing.

The very thing that needs to be nerfed is its range.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
thetrin said:

Consider the demographic of xbl.

I just can't see how Epic of all people could allow the SOS get through testing. It just feels like a really cheap weapon that appeals to microphone screaming teenage boys who do anything for a cheap kill and internet creds. It just reminds me of knifing in the CoD games: Storm everyone and get instant kill and even if it only works on 51% of people it is enough to keep going with.

El'Kharn

I actually returned my gears copy today for a refund...Campaign was awesome (i like multiplayer normally) , horde\beast was good fun for a while but i just cant play any of the other game types due to the weapons...They are so damn crappy (tho the lancers chainsaw redeemed that particular weapon) IMO. I'll be going back to space marine and await the arrival of the DLC.

El'Kharn said:
I actually returned my gears copy today for a refund...Campaign was awesome (i like multiplayer normally) , horde\beast was good fun for a while but i just cant play any of the other game types due to the weapons...They are so damn crappy (tho the lancers chainsaw redeemed that particular weapon) IMO. I'll be going back to space marine and await the arrival of the DLC.
Yeah, I'm sure Epic's gonna cry for the 50 bucks.

El'Kharn said:
You miss quickscoping, throwing knifes and ACOG scopes don't you?

El'Kharn

ResidentDante said:
You miss quickscoping, throwing knifes and ACOG scopes don't you?

I don't play that piece of shit game :)

vodka-bull said:
Yeah, I'm sure Epic's gonna cry for the 50 bucks.

I'm in Australia where you get ripped on game price's..cost 100$ here for the basic copy and as far as i am concerned the game (multiplayer) just isn't worth it. The campaign was possibly the best experience in a shooter I've ever had however.

FStop7

Banned
I'm always playing pub Horde and Beast and today kind of sucked because about half the time I got stuck with shitty teams. Not shitty because they were bad at the game, I don't care about that because I'm not very good at it, either. But shitty because some of them would just stand around until they were killed - either they walked away from the game or they dropped. Some of them definitely disconnected, leaving us with a team of 3 people on level 22 of Horde. Nice. Or the host would quit and the migration would be completely botched. At one point we were on level 17 when the host dropped, and after the migration we were placed on level 4. And the game said our point total was -1,780,000. What.

Anyway so after kind of a mixed bag I got in with a pretty awesome team in Horde. We got on Overpass and I expected they would set up the command post on top of the bridge. But no, they set it up in the corner of the map near the steps up to the overpass. I thought they were clueless players and that we were going to get torn up, but it's all fun and games so I was like let's go. After the first few rounds they put up a turret in the base and I kind of randomly put up a decoy next to it. Turns out this was awesome. Because of the layout of the map all of the horde would funnel down the road toward the base at the bottom of the steps. I could use the turret to mow them down but they would almost all shoot at the decoy as they funneled toward me. The road was divided down the middle by a barrier and an AI turret on that side took care of the dudes I didn't have a clear shot at. We played like this for 22 rounds, the only time our fortifications ever took real damage was on #10 when we got a fucking Lambent Berserker. That thing mowed through all of our stuff but we managed to bring it down as a group without much trouble, it just took forever. We absolutely tore up the level 20 boss wave. We probably could have gone pretty close to 50 unless we got stuck with multiple lambent berserkers or gunkers on the next boss waves.

Anyway I ended up with a couple of Quinns and a few other difficult (for me) medals out of that game.

Also, randomly - I love running the gauntlet of death to revive comrades. Getting a downed teammate up after a cross-map sprint, dodging between obstacles, pissed off Locust, and heavy weapons fire is the most rewarding feeling I get out of Gears 3.

I just finished the campaign... and I think I'm still too high on it to formulate an objective opinion but it was fun. And beautiful. Seriously, this game looks amazing.
That underwater level!

However, too many questions left unanswered as I expected. What were the
Sires?

What's the real story behind Myrrah and the Locust?

I guess we're expecting campaign DLC and I really hope some of this stuff gets explored but I have my doubts. But in the end, I felt really connected to my squad which is what I'm sure Epic was going for.

Which is why
it really hit me when Dom died.
I mean, sure these characters aren't exactly deep and they're pretty much a bunch of dudebros but they're MY dudebros. We've been through this shit since the beginning. So kudos to Epic for making me care.

And I had the hugest grin on my face when
Carmine picked up his helmet at the end.
Fuck yeah.

The Xtortionist said:
not sure if srs

It sounds like a fart. I can't imagine snazzy headphones turning a fart into an eargasm. :|

Now the Gnasher in Gears 1... that was something else. But I agree, the Gears games always have amazing sound.

OdysseusVA said:
This shit is fantastic. :D

Aspiring

Ok so I'm level 15 multiplayer. Yeah not much but the highest of any shooter I have ever played. I love it! All this and have yet to touch singleplayer. Such a great game.

Aspiring said:
Ok so I'm level 15 multiplayer. Yeah not much but the highest of any shooter I have ever played. I love it! All this and have yet to touch singleplayer. Such a great game.
You are in for a treat, the campaign is awesome. Cool that new poeple (that's including myself really) are enjoying the multiplayer. It really is a great package of both.

rCIZZLE

Well, just played for a few hours and have concluded that this game is a huge letdown. (haven't touched the campaign but I guess I'll have to if I don't want to make it a total waste)

SOS sucks
noscope change to sniper sucks
TDM sucks
warzone kills in a gametype already lacking teamwork really sucks
3 round execution sucks
20:1 ratio of TDM to execution sucks

Dedicated servers were really the only big positive I got coming from the previous games.

I really wouldn't be angry if this was a random released game that I bought - I would just force myself to get some value and resell it. The fact that it's the whole reason I got a new xbox and renewed xbl is what has me stewed up. No more faith buys from me without total investigation lol.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Man ..if there was ever a weapon built for me its the torque. Fuck anyone. Put that shit in my hands and youre done son.

NBtoaster

I'm kinda disapointed there's no proper team deathmatch beast mode. Didn't expect it to be a waves thing. Probably be a pain to balance, but fun :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom