• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 3 |OT| BROTHERS TO THE END

Status
Not open for further replies.

icespide

Banned
finished this last night 2 player co-op on hardcore and it was great. am I crazy or is does the difficulty crank way the crap up once you have 3 or 4 people co-op? 2 player almost felt like easy mode

DMeisterJ said:
You don't have to use the Retro, you could play a little further back and use the stopping power of the original lancer and they won't be able to be close enough to kill you as well.

And in any multiplayer game you have to choose weapons based off of what other people are doing in order to be more productive.

NO. You have to choose weapons based off what YOU want to do.

Also, what if, you know, you are playing KOTH (best gametype) and NEED to get close to them to win? Lemme answer for you: you're fucked. Falling back does not work.

quickwhips

I understand the SOS hate but at the same time its not going anywhere so either leave or learn to deal. The only thing cheap is the complaining in here. Its a game guys and yes I use both shotguns. The gnasher and SOS both are great. I'm off to play. Maybe I'll run around with the gnasher and sos and just wreck all day.

DMeisterJ

Banned
Stat Flow said:
Ugh. So in other words you're suggesting if there's a full team of SOS users, that Close Range combat should just be entirely nullified and not happen in a match.

Yeah. That sounds like real fun. Especially in Gears.

No, I'm saying when you switch your gameplay up, the opposite team is gonna switch their gameplay up as well. When a team full of SOS users (which I've never encountered) all can barely get kills, they'll try to be more productive by switching their gameplay up, and it'll keep moving like that. No one is gonna run around all game with a weapon they can barely get kills with.

Acidote

Meh, it's impossible to finish a horde with random guys. They always disconnect. Round 33, host leaves, host migration, back on wave 4.

Dyno

LiK said:
Beat Horde mode over the weekend with a full party. It was hours of fun and laughs. Loved it. Last three waves were insane.

That's crazy! That's probably a part of the game I'll never see! Well done!

DMeisterJ said:
You don't have to use the Retro, you could play a little further back and use the stopping power of the original lancer and they won't be able to be close enough to kill you as well.
And that's what I do, but it's not fun at all .
Playing "let's all stay behind cover, me waiting for them to rush with the SOS so I can down them from the distance and them waiting for me to get closer so they can instagib me" it's not fun, I'm sorry.

Acidote said:
Meh, it's impossible to finish a horde with random guys. They always disconnect. Round 33, host leaves, host migration, back on wave 4.

but really, thisisneogafdude.gif, just group with some of these guys

Feindflug

sajj316 said:
A couple of suggestions on what to do with SOS

1) reduce magazine from 4 to 2 rounds. I'm even ok with a slightly faster reload if this decreases all SOS kills in a TDM match by 50%.
2) reduce range and adjust balance the power. I understand that it's a close range power weapon but there should not be a scenario in which you take out 3 enemies at once (shakes head at gif). That gif tells me that power from the shot is evenly distributed from left to right. No power at the core. What I believe should happen is the SOS shot taking down the enemy in the center (line of blind sight) and damaging the others based on proximity to shot.
3) make the weapon as a pickup item on the map. Replace the weapon with something else.

That's the biggest problem with the weapon right now, the gibbing range is ridiculous right now (melee range my ass)..combine that with the occasional p2p lag and you have a lot of nerd rage-worthy moments - I seriously can't see how anyone can defend such a BS weapon.

LosDaddie

Banned
Anybody want to join me for some co-op Campaign this week? I'm thinking for about ~1.5hrs each night, starting around 9pm EST.

Busy week last week, and I was out of town this weekend. So I haven't played the Campaign at all yet. :( But like I did with Gears 1 & 2, I only want to play it co-op.

Let me know.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
DMeisterJ said:
No, I'm saying when you switch your gameplay up, the opposite team is gonna switch their gameplay up as well. When a team full of SOS users (which I've never encountered) all can barely get kills, they'll try to be more productive by switching their gameplay up, and it'll keep moving like that. No one is gonna run around all game with a weapon they can barely get kills with.
There's no switching up of gameplay going on. Sitting back in Gears (for the majority of the match) is boring. That's really not what Gears is about (why do you think they added like 20 executions to the game?). CQC is fun. If people can start with a weapon that essentially eliminates a big and fun part of the game, then that's just ridiculous, yes?

And you're right, they are going to switch to the SOS. Fuck that, get good with the gnasher, it doesn't take that long even if you're new to get moderately good. That makes it more fun for all parties (when it comes to CQC). The SOS is just a cheap way to get people that can barely get kills...kills. Now tell me, why should people that can "barely get kills" get rewarded with a insta-kill weapon they can start with? That makes no sense. It would make more sense that they get good with the weapon they can barely get kills with. The Gnasher isn't hard to use at all. That argument might have flew in Gears 2 but in Gears 3 where the Gnasher is way more than capable, giving players that can't assess the small learning curve of it an insta-kill weapon that eliminates the fun of CQC is dumb. Do you see what I'm getting at?

And I've encountered teams that have 4-5 SOS users plenty of times. And I'm only talking about TDM here. I can't imagine the headshakes garnered from mass SOS use on KOTH.

quickwhips

MarshMellow96 said:
How would people feel if I said the only reason the SOS is broken is because the Gnasher is broken, too?
Ackbar.jpg

sajj316

DMeisterJ said:

In most cases (TDM), you'll get 3 SOS players. When they realize they can't get kills, they'll use lancer. Now this becomes a lancer vs. lancer match.

The SOS is actually not much of a problem in Sandbar since it's a larger map.

Other thoughts .. Not enough Torque Bows in these maps! Where are the shot gun battles? I've tried to strafe/melee to indicate a battle a few times and end up getting mowed by the lancer!

quickwhips

Stat Flow said:
There's no switching up of gameplay going on. Sitting back in Gears (for the majority of the match) is boring. That's really not what Gears is about (why do you think they added like 20 executions to the game?). CQC is fun. If people can start with a weapon that essentially eliminates a big and fun part of the game, then that's just ridiculous, yes?

And you're right, they are going to switch to the SOS. Fuck that, get good with the gnasher, it doesn't take that long even if you're new to get moderately good. That makes it more fun for all parties (when it comes to CQC). The SOS is just a cheap way to get people that can barely get kills...kills. Now tell me, why should people that can "barely get kills" get rewarded with a insta-kill weapon they can start with? That makes no sense. It would make more sense that they get good with the weapon they can barely get kills with. The Gnasher isn't hard to use at all. That argument might have flew in Gears 2 but in Gears 3 where the Gnasher is way more than capable, giving players that can't assess the small learning curve of it an insta-kill weapon that eliminates the fun of CQC is dumb. Do you see what I'm getting at?

And I've encountered teams that have 4-5 SOS users plenty of times. And I'm only talking about TDM here. I can't imagine the headshakes garnered from mass SOS use on KOTH.

Thats your opinion and I don't think everyone agrees with you. Why should they play it like you want? Why don't you play long range like some of the other people want? It won't take you long to get good with the longshot or lancer /hammerburst....see I think this game is great because you can play anyway you want and you can do well. The SOS gave guys that didn't want to CQC a way to get out of it. It just brought in some other stuff also. Long range guys aren't having a problem with SOS as much as the gnasher guys are.

TheExodu5

Banned
Where the multiplayer access code supposed to be? I took a quick look in the manual and couldn't find any reference to it. I saw a number on the back of the manual, but it was a serial that was identical in form to a similar serial on the sticker page. If there are two codes, what does the second one do?

sajj316

quickwhips said:
Thats your opinion and I don't think everyone agrees with you. Why should they play it like you want? Why don't you play long range like some of the other people want? It won't take you long to get good with the longshot or lancer /hammerburst....see I think this game is great because you can play anyway you want and you can do well. The SOS gave guys that didn't want to CQC a way to get out of it. It just brought in some other stuff also. Long range guys aren't having a problem with SOS as much as the gnasher guys are.

This is going to be fun. I totally see two sides being formed. Gnasher players versus SOS players.

I agree with this man. What's the point of an SOS anyway when you have the Gnasher?

Daigoro

i played the shit out of this game over the last several days.

Arcade, Insane, Horde, Beast, Casual and Ranked. lots of hours logged.

finally started to figure out the maps, weapon range, and flow of VS and actually started playing somewhat capably last night.

having lots of fun. really glad i picked this up on launch.

mbmonk said:
The game tells you when the spawn points flip. Listen for a voice saying something like "Enemy reinforcements spotted". There is a different phrase for COG than Locus, but you get the general point.

didnt know that. that helps, thanks.

quickwhips

sajj316 said:
This is going to be fun. I totally see two sides being formed. Gnasher players versus SOS players.

I agree with this man. What's the point of an SOS anyway when you have the Gnasher?

But I don't want to be the defender of anything. If you flip Gnasher and SOS around you get the same question though.

Marleyman

Banned
Risk Breaker said:
NO. You have to choose weapons based off what YOU want to do.

Also, what if, you know, you are playing KOTH (best gametype) and NEED to get close to them to win? Lemme answer for you: you're fucked. Falling back does not work.

It isn't really the best mode if that is the case.

TheExodu5

Banned
Thanks for the quick response.

Anyways, I haven't played much yet...Just up to chapter 6. Kind of disappointing so far. Combat feels very...static. I can just sit behind a wall and cover from there non stop. I just need to strafe to the side whenever the big dude sents a ball of juice at my head. I really hope enemies start flanking later on. I recall combat in Gears 2 feeling more dynamic, somewhat like Uncharted.

The visuals are okay. I hate the color palette, though. Maybe I'm just remembering Gears 2 incorrectly, but I seem to recall it was far more colorful than this. Gears 3 is using parody levels of brown. At least the DOF is a huge improvement, though.

TheExodu5 said:

Anyways, I haven't played much yet...Just up to chapter 6. Kind of disappointing so far. Combat feels very...static. I can just sit behind a wall and cover from there non stop. I just need to strafe to the side whenever the big dude sents a ball of juice at my head. I really hope enemies start flanking later on. I recall combat in Gears 2 feeling more dynamic, somewhat like Uncharted.

The visuals are okay. I hate the color palette, though. Maybe I'm just remembering Gears 2 incorrectly, but I seem to recall it was far more colorful than this. Gears 3 is using parody levels of brown. At least the DOF is a huge improvement, though.

My vividest memories of 2 were all those really dull underground sequences. So much rock. I like this a lot more.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
quickwhips said:
My opinion? It's a fact that the majority of shit goes down when CQC comes into play.

I am not dogging on long range people. As a matter of fact, Gears 3 with its dedicated servers do especially well for them. If you want to sit back and do what you gotta do, then that's fine, the rifles are now very formiddable thanks to the lack of lag with the guns (every lancer is now like a host lancer from gears 1!). The sniper is great too, I love using it. For people that like Long Range combat, of course that's fun. For people that like CQC, sitting back and popping up to lancer someone across the map every so often is generally boring.

BUT, that's not my point. My point is that the SOS essentially eliminates CQC. Forcing many that don't participate in long range combat for the entirety of matches to sit back and be bored. I am in Gears for the in your face kickass action that goes down. Even if I'm getting killed in Gears I am generally having fun doing it (see: Shotgun battles, that don't happen with SOS users). Executions, gibs, meleeing, rushing to power weapons. CQC is just intense and while strategizing is generally a necessity, going out into the thick of things is always a pleasure.

SOS takes that fun away. And it's not even necessary cause CQC can easily be had without cheapness because the Gnasher is a perfectly fine close range weapon.

If you flip Gnasher and SOS around you get the same question though.
This is not even close to true.

Hixx

TheExodu5 said:

When the Locust come in to the equation the combat gets better, I really didn't like fighting the Lambent. Not as boring as say, the Flood but certainly in that archetype of enemy.

The game gets MUCH better looking as it goes on.

Heysoos

sajj316 said:
I've tried to strafe/melee to indicate a battle a few times and end up getting mowed by the lancer!

I'm sorry but, LOL. I would mow you down with the lancer too. Don't get me wrong, I love shotgun battles too, but I also like winning and killing other people in game. If someone gives me a free shot I'm sure as hell going to take it. You can't expect people to conform to what you're doing and have to shotgun battle you, if they can just get the easy kill.

TheExodu5

Banned
HixxSAFC said:
When the Locust come in to the equation the combat gets better, I really didn't like fighting the Lambent. Not as boring as say, the Flood but certainly in that archetype of enemy.

The game gets MUCH better looking as it goes on.

That's good to hear.

Detox

So the stat-tracking website is up although it's in beta with more features planned. Not sure if it is going to track the stats before the site launched, seems very barebones atm.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Let's talk about something that isn't the SOS:

Does anyone else think the game scales Horde and Beast mode quite atrociously? It can be next to impossible alone but once you have 4 more players or so, all of a sudden it's no longer insurmountable, if were talking insane. Kind of a terrible approach to difficulty scaling IMO. I don't even think the number of enemies changes or anything.

Detox said:

So the stat-tracking website is up although it's in beta with more features planned. Not sure if it is going to track the stats before the site launched, seems very barebones atm.
Thanks for the heads-up. I was wondering when this would be updated.

Plasmid

enzo_gt said:
Let's talk about something that isn't the SOS:

Does anyone else think the game scales Horde and Beast mode quite atrociously? It can be next to impossible alone but once you have 4 more players or so, all of a sudden it's no longer insurmountable, if were talking insane. Kind of a terrible approach to difficulty scaling IMO. I don't even think the number of enemies changes or anything.

We noticed this yesterday, even on casual :lol, it went from 41 rounds of never losing, to losing 10 total times from 41-50.

Detox said:

Website's down for me, i wish this feature was up at launch like Gears 2.

i nerini del buio said:
it has no assist when scoped, it seems (I'm new to gears)
use it noscoped

Sniper takes practice, i can pull off quick scopes really well, but moving targets are something i'm trying to get used to (Oscar mike & The super Ribbons).

Grisby

Phonomezer said:
I am SOOOOOOOOOOOO bad at the MP :(

And it won't let me play casual, for whatever reason!

Did you play any previous Gears? It unlocks the 0 point cheeve automatically and restricts casual MP if you did.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
WTF is going on in this thread?

Not everyone runs with an SOS, so how is gnasher on gnasher combat ruined?

More to the point, gnasher vs gnasher gameplay is all well and good, but why shouldn't there be an alternative, a counter? The way it is now, in overly simplistic terms, SOS users have to beware of rifles at medium range, gnashers have to beware of SOS users and rifle has to beware of shotguns in general at close range.

This means each encounter has an added variable which changes things up. Like I keep saying my games are still dominated by rifle and gnasher users. I do suspect I will sometimes run into super annoying SOS users but the same applied to gnasher users, sometimes you get a little demon who runs around exploding you to smithereens.

In the case I run into those people, I actually think gnashers are scarier cos they have more ammo, bigger clip, greater range and quicker reload. They've always been massively hard to stop.

and in a sense the SOS might be my way to counter that kind of play and make them think twice.

SOS is easier to beat than gnasher 90% of the time. I do wonder about the cheap triples where you can just wander up to 3 guys and hipfire 3 people. Maybe they should make it so that the gibs don't go through a player so you can only gib one at once or two if they're side by side. If they're one behind the other the first player should absorb most of the damage.

Seth Balmore said:
Game really needs a server status indicator, at least that way I know what to expect when I start matchmaking.
Why do you need a certainty about whether or not servers are up? If there's lag you can choose to either leave or stay, if there's no lag stay. The information about the server status won't make it any better for you.

Grisby said:
Did you play any previous Gears? It unlocks the 0 point cheeve automatically and restricts casual MP if you did.

Yeah I have 1 and 2 as well. I'm just very, very rusty, the Gears 3 beta was the only time I put more than 5 minutes into MP previously.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom