• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 3 |OT| BROTHERS TO THE END

Status
Not open for further replies.

sajj316

Heysoos said:
I'm sorry but, LOL. I would mow you down with the lancer too. Don't get me wrong, I love shotgun battles too, but I also like winning and killing other people in game. If someone gives me a free shot I'm sure as hell going to take it. You can't expect people to conform to what you're doing and have to shotgun battle you, if they can just get the easy kill.

Ya. Let's say I stopped that old Gears mentality real quick. I was hoping there would be a good bit of older Gears 1 players out there that understand. I guess not.

kaizoku said:
More to the point, gnasher vs gnasher gameplay is all well and good, but why shouldn't there be an alternative, a counter? The way it is now, in overly simplistic terms, SOS users have to beware of rifles at medium range, gnashers have to beware of SOS users and rifle has to beware of shotguns in general at close range.

This means each encounter has an added variable which changes things up. Like I keep saying my games are still dominated by rifle and gnasher users. I do suspect I will sometimes run into super annoying SOS users but the same applied to gnasher users, sometimes you get a little demon who runs around exploding you to smithereens.

That's all good in theory but there are two main reasons to bitch:

1. It's not programmed/it doesn't work how it's supposed to, meaning it's more powerful than the gnasher at longer ranger with a huge cone of instagib.
2. And most important: not all gametypes are TDM/Warzone/Execution, in KOTH a team of 5 SOS users is an absolute nightmare. In KOTH you have to do CQC to win, and the SOS completely dominates in that range as long as the people using it have some skill.

BobDylan

Risk Breaker said:
Another example of bad design. The game should make clear when another player has an active reload. There would be a lot less bullshit moments.

I dont think that is necessary. its part of the game, just assume they have active reloads. you know they are in the game, you dont need a warning when approaching someone knowing that they could have an active reload.

Grisby said:
Did you play any previous Gears? It unlocks the 0 point cheeve automatically and restricts casual MP if you did.
So that's what that was for? Seems kind of silly if the player had only played campaign in the previous games.

Risk Breaker said:
2. And most important: not all gametypes are TDM/Warzone/Execution, in KOTH a team of 5 SOS users is an absolute nightmare. In KOTH you have to do CQC to win, and the SOS completely dominates in that range as long as the people using it have some skill.
Get grenades, get boomshot, get a digger, lancer their asses out of the ring, try to get your hands on a mortar, etc.. The great thing about Gears is that there's so many different ways to defeat an enemy, and if you don't want to do it that way just change your loadout during the game.

Darklord

Banned
I just finished the game. Really, really good. Much better than Gears of War 1 and 2 in my opinion. The final 2 chapters were weaker than the rest in my opinion but the story was still good and the ending was satisfying.

I still don't really mind the SOS. Of course, I'm one of those mid-long range people with the lancer or hammerburst. Maybe they could reduce it to a single-use weapon. Nerfing its damage or range at all would sort of kill it completely.

Risk Breaker said:
Another example of bad design. The game should make clear when another player has an active reload. There would be a lot less bullshit moments.

Really? Avoiding shots is the fundamental action of the game and that is already "clear".

Avoid shots or die, all shots should be treated as deadly.

abracadaver

Interfectum said:
cliffyb: Make beast mode player vs player for DLC.. PLEASE. I love that mode but it would be so much better against real players.

A mode like that would never work because of the balancing. COG would always win. See Horde

Proelite

abracadaver said:
A mode like that would never work because of the balancing. COG would always win. See Horde

Who needs balance for that mode? All Epic needs to do is make it possible for either side to win, and have the two teams take turns ala Invasion in Halo Reach.

Tawpgun

Proelite said:
Who needs balance for that mode? All Epic needs to do is make it possible for either side to win, and have the two teams take turns ala Invasion in Halo Reach.
That. Or keep the same health mechanic, as in your health doesn't regen as a locust. So you need a concentrated push to take down the humans.

TheExodu5

Banned
JB1981 said:
Parody levels of brown? Yea? Really? I mean this isn't even a matter of opinion, the game is far more colorful than 1 or 2

The first act is completely brown. There's a bit of blue during the Cole flashback, but that's about it.

The first Gears was very greyish to me. Gears 2 seemed to have more black/orange. This is completely brown up until now.

edit: To be fair, I haven't played Gears 2 in quite a while. It's probably a lot browner than I remember.

Digital-Hero said:
Really? Avoiding shots is the fundamental action of the game and that is already "clear".

Avoid shots or die, all shots should be treated as deadly.

Dude, I'm talking about the huge difference in Lancer or Gnasher power. One AR gnasher shot can be almost as damaging as three. It DOES create "BULLSHIT!" moments, obviously more so when it's people new to the franchise playing.

And that "all shots should be treated as deadly" is a huge ass fallacy btw. What if someone appeared to be using a snub on your screen but he was actually using, I don't know, the boomshot? ;D

Gears 1 was almost black and white. I only realized this not long ago, I remembered it being a lot more colorful but it's very very desaturated.

Gears 3 has a lot more colour but it's still very brown. It almost seems to me like they desaturated all colours except brown, red and a little bit of green.

Proelite

TheExodu5 said:
The first act is completely brown. There's a bit of blue during the Cole flashback, but that's about it.

The first Gears was very greyish to me. Gears 2 seemed to have more black/orange. This is completely brown up until now.

edit: To be fair, I haven't played Gears 2 in quite a while. It's probably a lot browner than I remember.

All the color went into the final act.

sajj316

Despite my complaints of SOS, as an original Gears player, I am loving Gears 3. If anyone is up for TDM matches tonight, my gamertag is sajj316.

Grisby

_dementia said:
So that's what that was for? Seems kind of silly if the player had only played campaign in the previous games.

Eh, I guess its for complete newbies. I bet it locks you out after a couple games anyways. Another game did that recently I think but I can't remember what it was.

abracadaver

-PXG- said:
Not if the Locust were given more health or could at least regen.

It would still be extremly unbalanced. The locust are way to limited. They move slower. Have no choice in weapons. Most can not take cover. It just wouldnt work.

SpacLock

Risk Breaker said:

It does. The other player will have a blue muzzle flash when shooting at you, even with the shotguns.

Risk Breaker said:
Yeah, let's see people defending THAT.

They shouldn't have been grouped together like that. A frag, boom, digger, and even ink grenade probably would have taken them all out regardless. I'm not trying to defend the SOS either because I dislike using it, but they shouldn't have put themselves in that situation.

ultron87

:lol at that 4 person kill.

To be fair, it's not like a boomshot or grenade couldn't do that to a stupidly clumped up group just as easily.

SpacLock

i nerini del buio said:
you can't spawn with a boomshot though!!! XD

Yeah, but you don't have to be 2 feet away with a boomshot. They should have been paying attention because if they were he would have never been able to get close enough to pull that off.

-PXG-

abracadaver said:
It would still be extremly unbalanced. The locust are way to limited. They move slower. Have no choice in weapons. Most can not take cover. It just wouldnt work.

More health
Health Regen
No stopping power

Plus, they get ammo regen too.

They could make it work.

see5harp

Jaguar said:
Pretty much why sawed-offs ruin KotH.

That's why you communicate and have guys covering both sides of boomshot spawn with rifle fire. I think I die from SOS more than any other but still don't find it hard to down guys rushing with SOS more times than not.

smik

I am enjoying the hell out of this game, seriously EPIC you have redeemed yourself

now can we get some map packs asap, i have played the hell out of the 4 beta maps lol (kinda wish i didnt)

sajj316

MarshMellow96 said:
Exactly what they (the victims) weren't doing, to be fair.

He should toward the right-most players. The player on the left exploded as well. I agree, they should have been defending this better, but come on :)

SpacLock said:
It does. The other player will have a blue muzzle flash when shooting at you, even with the shotguns.

They shouldn't have been grouped together like that. A frag, boom, digger, and even ink grenade probably would have taken them all out regardless. I'm not trying to defend the SOS either because I dislike using it, but they shouldn't have put themselves in that situation.

1. I mean BEFORE they actually shoot you. Also it's hard as shit to see with all the particles.

2. Do you realize that in KOTH you have to be grouped together to capture the zone faster and get more points? And a frag, boom, digger even ink grenades are pick-ups, not initial weapons :) You've just demonstrated that it's not balanced as a starting weapon, thanks.

I really really reaaally wonder if most of you people talking have ever played KOTH for more than one match.

sajj316 said:
He should toward the right-most players. The player on the left exploded as well. I agree, they should have been defending this better, but come on :)

Oh I don't doubt that the Sawed-Off's range and spread are too good, but still - proper players wouldn't be huddled like the Mighty Ducks :p

see5harp

Risk Breaker said:
1. I mean BEFORE they actually shoot you. Also it's hard as shit to see with all the particles.

2. Do you realize that in KOTH you have to be grouped together to capture the zone faster and get more points? And a frag, boom, digger even ink grenades are pick-ups, not initial weapons :) You've just demonstrated that it's not balanced as a starting weapon, thanks.

I really really reaaally wonder if most of you people talking have ever played KOTH for more than one match.

You can cap the zone faster that way but you have to weigh whether a single cap is worth your entire team dying. How much time was in the zone? How close were the enemies. I usually have the most caps on any given KOTH match but am not always the MVP. K:D is important in even KOTH.

SpacLock

Risk Breaker said:

I'm 127-4 in KOTH. It's all I play. We rarely lose because we never group up in the hill like dumb asses unless we know the opposing team is on respawn.

As for the active reload argument, you should always expect the enemy to have active shells. It's like playing blackjack and always expecting the dealers face down card to be worth 10 points. That way there's no surprises.

Edit: reworded.

see5harp said:
You can cap the zone faster that way but you have to weigh whether a single cap is worth your entire team dying. How much time was in the zone? How close were the enemies. I usually have the most caps on any given KOTH match but am not always the MVP. K:D is important in even KOTH.

It looked like he was the only guy around, though, and he was hidden. But yeah, okay, whatever. Gears has always been about being close with your teammates, I guess it's the other way around now.

Whatever guys, you win. Every starting weapon should be able to kill 4 players with a single shot now, I guess.

see5harp

Risk Breaker said:
It looked like he was the only guy around, though, and he was hidden. But yeah, okay, whatever. Gears has always been about being close with your teammates, I guess it's the other way around now.

Whatever guys, you win. Every starting weapon should be able to kill 4 players with a single shot now, I guess.

I'm not saying you are wrong, there's just more to rushing the zone everytime it's open and you have numbers. I killed an entire team with a single grenade to get a Quinn ribbon on KOTH. That SOS kill was dirty I just don't think KOTH is one of the modes that is particularly ruined by SOS. If anything it's the modes like Execution, Wingman, and Slayer.

Grisby

TetraxShards said:
Act 3 is living up to the hype so far. Campaign is brilliant, seems to be a bit easy on Hardcore so far though.
It was very easy. I died numerous times in GOW2 on hardcore but not here.

sajj316 said:
LOL. Someone should make a gif of that with a title at the end .. "BROTHERS TO THE END"
Brilliant. I command you to learn gif making and bring back your spoils.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom