• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 3 |OT| BROTHERS TO THE END

Status
Not open for further replies.
Deadly Cyclone said:
Not sure I can afford Gears 3 right now. :(

Guess I'll just watch all your impressions and pick this up in January or something.
Best Buy is giving +50% on trade ins towards pre-orders of Gears

Ballistik

CliffyB said:
Good game design means failure is blamed on the self, instead of the game or outside conditions.
That's VERY true. In gears 2, I still have moments where I know I should of killed a guy and it didn't happen. Where the bullets or the melee don't register, where I know I was behind cover, etc.

In the beta, even if I raged because someone killed me, it wasn't due to BS, it was because I screwed up missing the shot or rushing at the inappropriate time. Not once do I recall putting the blame on the game. I always noticed this in the beta, I spent more time concentrating on getting better at the game, and less time hating it.

dagZ

CliffyB said:
Good game design means failure is blamed on the self, instead of the game or outside conditions.

you're exactly right. That's what I loved about the beta. Everything just felt so right, and dead on.

Cliffy I got a question, did clan intergration ever come up when you were on the drawing boards for gears 3?

I'm playing some TDM (please don't hate me, review copy) and I'm with a guy who's packing a Golden Gnasher. Not seeing things, it's definitely it.

I thought Golden Gnasher was a Veteran Gear exclusive (just checked - it is). I also recall Joe Graf saying that anyone who played the game before Sept. 20th would screw themselves out of the Veteran Gear unlocks.

So... lol? Graf proven wrong again?

EDIT: My bad, my bad. It's me who's proved wrong lol, me and my big mouth. Apparently only the Golden Gnasher will unlock if you play the game before Sept. 20th (and thus Title Update 1). This whole weapon skin shenanigans has gotten so confusing I don't know what's what anymore. >:|

Veelk

Banned
CliffyB said:
Cautiously optimistic. Not sure what else we could have crammed and or polished into this product, tbh. It's beefy.
I'm gonna take that as an okay to give suggestions, the first of which is add skulls from Halo. Coming off of Gears 1's normal setting, Gear 2's hardcore setting was somehow easier than it. The locust that could take 3 shotgun blasts in 1's normal could only take 2 in 2's hardcore. Now, you are saying how easy the casual and normal level campaigns are, I'm concerned that hardcore won't be hardcore enough, while I dislike how insane cuts down on so much of your health. Which is why Skulls would be awesome, because then I could up the Locust health without cutting down my own. Or, maybe you beefed up the locust to their Gears 1 counterparts in 3, so maybe I'm worrying over nothing. All the same, they'd be an awesome addition to gears, as well as most games.

Vire

Generic said:
I'm gonna take that as an okay to give suggestions, the first of which is add skulls from Halo. Coming off of Gears 1's normal setting, Gear 2's hardcore setting was somehow easier than it. The locust that could take 3 shotgun blasts in 1's normal could only take 2 in 2's hardcore. Now, you are saying how easy the casual and normal level campaigns are, I'm concerned that hardcore won't be hardcore enough, while I dislike how insane cuts down on so much of your health. Which is why Skulls would be awesome, because then I could up the Locust health without cutting down my own. Or, maybe you beefed up the locust to their Gears 1 counterparts in 3, so maybe I'm worrying over nothing. All the same, they'd be an awesome addition to gears, as well as most games.
I have good news for you, there is something similar to what you are describing.

Epic decided to add mutators that you can enable in Arcade mode of campaign. It's not clear at this time what they do, but I'm hoping for some cheesy ones like the Grunt Birthday party from Halo.

I just hope and pray more than anything host is fixed. Gears is by far my favorite IP this gen. Epic edition day one. Just to show the love.

Took off of work for launch day.

It must be mine.

-PXG-

Generic said:
Mutators say hi.

Ballistik

Mammoth Jones said:
I just hope and pray more than anything host is fixed. Gears is by far my favorite IP this gen. Epic edition day one. Just to show the love.

Took off of work for launch day.

It must be mine.
Host is GONE if you're in a dedicated server. It was said that ranked games would run on dedicated, and social would be P2P. That was a long time ago though, so I don't know if it's been changed in any way. But you can guarantee that there will be games where everyone is in the same playing field.

Veelk

Banned
Vire said:
I have good news for you, there is something similar to what you are describing.

Epic decided to add mutators that you can enable in Arcade mode of campaign. It's not clear at this time what they do, but I'm hoping for some cheesy ones like the Grunt Birthday party from Halo.
-PXG- said:
Mutators say hi.

Holy shit, seriously?! Where can I get more info on them?

Jesus, christ epic, you are without a doubt the Developers of the Year. I can't think of a single other dev that worked as hard to make their game as packed with content as you.

U2NUMB

So jealous of a guy on my friends list. Took him just one night to get 40% of the achievements.. very interesting. Must be enjoying it as he has been non stop playing.

Vire

I found a video with a list of the mutators...

I'll compile the list shortly.

EDIT:

List of Mutators
Instagib Melee

Super Reload

Infinite Ammo

Big Explosions

Enemy Regeneration

Vampire

Must Active Reload

Friendly Fire

Big Head

Piñata

Flower Blood

Comet

Laugh Track

Some of these sound like an absolute riot. Can't wait.

Loam

A bit late on this but whats the deal regarding that weapon skin a few pages back? Is it exclusive to expert zone or can you still unlock it in game?

abracadaver

Vire said:
I found a video with a list of the mutators...

I'll compile the list shortly.

EDIT:

List of Mutators

Instagib Melee

Super Reload

Infinite Ammo

Big Explosions

Enemy Regeneration

Vampire

Must Active Reload

Friendly Fire

Big Head

Piñata

Flower Blood

Comet

Laugh Track

No
slow motion kills
?

Now i'm sad

JeTmAn81

Probably an obvious question, but is there a mode for combining Beast and Horde? One team plays as the Locust, the other as humans? Watching videos of Beast mode I can only imagine how cool that would be if both sides were controlled by players.

mernst23

Finally did my preorder on amazon. Release day delivery was only a buck and its definately the coolest looking of the 4 preorder skins, also amazon is giving a 20 buck off next order coupon which is totally going to my copy of skyward sword.

On the other hand, my insane playthough of gears 1 and 2 resumes in act 4 of gears 1 today. I was surprised I muscled through 3 acts last night with relative ease on insane except the vehicle/lightgun chapter, I hate that chapter so much.

cackhyena

What are mutators? "Cheat codes" for SP after going through once or something? I'm a casual GoW player at best if you can't tell.

Vire

JeTmAn81 said:
Probably an obvious question, but is there a mode for combining Beast and Horde? One team plays as the Locust, the other as humans? Watching videos of Beast mode I can only imagine how cool that would be if both sides were controlled by players.
Uhhh.....

Classic Multiplayer?

Vire

cackhyena said:
What are mutators? "Cheat codes" for SP after going through once or something? I'm a casual GoW player at best if you can't tell.
They are essentially the skulls from Halo that allow you to tweak and freshen up the experience after playing through a few times.

Willeth

JeTmAn81 said:
Locust would get ruined because their health doesn't regenerate. Even if you gave them a bigger pool of lives, the most effective against the humans would probably end up being the regular human Locust, at which point it just becomes a weird lopsided Warzone.

It'd be an interesting experiment but with Beast right now I'm not sure it'd work. Maybe a variation of TDM where the COG had Silverbacks to go toe to toe with Grinders or something would work, though?

Tawpgun

Was gonna get Gears Day 1.

Then found out the Reach Title Update launches the day before.

... Convince me to get Gears 3 on launch GearsGaf.

Veelk

Banned
Vire said:
Uhhh.....

Classic Multiplayer?
No, then the teams are even. Cogs and Locust have the same health, movement, abilites, etc. What he means he wants Cog's to be able to set up forts and turrets and shit while the locust players get to play as real locusts instead of cogs with a palete swap. Meaning being able to play as a lumbering boomer or being able to revive with a Kantus.

It honestly sounds fun, but balancing all that would be a nightmare.

JeTmAn81

Willeth said:
Locust would get ruined because their health doesn't regenerate. Even if you gave them a bigger pool of lives, the most effective against the humans would probably end up being the regular human Locust, at which point it just becomes a weird lopsided Warzone.

It'd be an interesting experiment but with Beast right now I'm not sure it'd work. Maybe a variation of TDM where the COG had Silverbacks to go toe to toe with Grinders or something would work, though?

Ah, so it's not in there. Maybe it will show up in Gears of War 3: ODST :p. The way I figure, if it's a separate mode it could be rebalanced anyway, perhaps by giving the Locust side more chances to respawn as beasts to balance out the health difference, and maybe having AI-controlled Stranded or whoever on the human side to assist the player-controlled COG's. Maybe someday. The actual game we've got is looking pretty darn cool.

Ballistik

A27 Tawpgun said:

Woah woah, really? It's been awhile since I stepped into the Halo thread but I thought it was going to be around early November? Damn, well at least I have something to do the day before this hits.

Willeth

Ballistik said:
Woah woah, really? It's been awhile since I stepped into the Halo thread but I thought it was going to be around early November? Damn, well at least I have something to do the day before this hits.
IIRC the TU hits then but the changes themselves don't hit until Anniversary. I may be misinformed, though.

Vire

Generic said:
No, then the teams are even. Cogs and Locust have the same health, movement, abilites, etc. What he means he wants Cog's to be able to set up forts and turrets and shit while the locust players get to play as real locusts instead of cogs with a palete swap. Meaning being able to play as a lumbering boomer or being able to revive with a Kantus.

It honestly sounds fun, but balancing all that would be a nightmare.
Hm I see what you are saying now. Reminds me kind of like Invasion in Reach.

I think what they added is more than enough to keep us happy. Beast Mode and Four Player Co-Op is going to be super fun with friends.

A27 Tawpgun said:

Really? Epic trolling there from Bungie/343

Smeghead

Tried that Expertzone thing twice, both codes said they had already been redeemed. Can't be arsed doing them surveys again, will just have to rock the normal skins.

Hope i get my copy early but i doubt it since it's coming out on a tuesday.

JambiBum

Waiting on my stupid expertzone account to get verified again :(. Did it a while ago but you have to update it every so often.

Lingitiz

_dementia said:
Really? Epic trolling there from Bungie/343
No not exactly.

Halo Waypoint said:
September 21st
On this day, when logging into Halo: Reach, you will be prompted to download the Title Update. You’ll start playing, notice nothing seems different, and then recall that I said, in this here Bulletin as a matter of fact, “You won’t see any perceptible changes in Halo: Reach Matchmaking immediately after the download.” The majority of players will only complete the first two steps, though. Curses.
So I would assume that you should just go ahead and buy Gears on day1. Its easily going to be the most polished and value packed game this year.

Willeth

Lingitiz said:
No not exactly.

So I would assume that you should just go ahead and buy Gears on day1. Its easily going to be the most polished and value packed game this year.
Yeah, there we go. I think the beta playlist hoppers for the Reach changes drop on October 4th. I know 343 have said in the Halo thread that they plan on putting up a gametype that has some changes in it to download and use in custom games, but a one-gametype custom can't really hold up a a whole new game IMO.

renitou

A27 Tawpgun said:
Convince me to get Gears 3 on launch GearsGaf.
If you prefer Halo to Gears of War, don't let anything stop you. It's not as though you cannot pick up the game at a later date, probably for at a substantial discount, going by how quickly big games drop in price anymore.

-PXG-

To ensure I have a great online experience, I bought a new router the other day. I just finished updating its firmware and messing with QoS and whatnot. I also added Xbox Live's ports for good measure. You should do the same.

Port 88 (UDP)
Port 3074 (UDP and TCP)
Port 53 (UDP and TCP)
Port 80 (TCP)

Ballistik

To ensure I have the best connection, I unplugged my wireless adapter and went wired. :D

(I also opened the ports earlier when I had problems getting on Xbox live)

Dyno

A nice OT for one of the best franchises this gen! Looking forward to the always great SP and even more so for the improved MP!

This is going to be one bloody autumn, I can tell you that!

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
A27 Tawpgun said:

You can't try out ANY of the features of the TU until October 4th.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom