• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 3 |OT| BROTHERS TO THE END

Status
Not open for further replies.

abracadaver

So the review embargo ends in 10 hours ?

I hope they dont spoil too much. Especially gametrailers shows way too much story in their reviews

Vire

abracadaver said:
So the review embargo ends in 10 hours ?

I hope they dont spoil too much. Especially gametrailers shows way too much story in their reviews
Is it 12:01 EST or PST? If it's EST then it's 7 hours.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
-PXG- said:
To ensure I have a great online experience, I bought a new router the other day. I just finished updating its firmware and messing with QoS and whatnot. I also added Xbox Live's ports for good measure. You should do the same.

Port 88 (UDP)
Port 3074 (UDP and TCP)
Port 53 (UDP and TCP)
Port 80 (TCP)

Pfft, already been done son.

def sim

So are we allowed to discuss where we can get this early? In the NYC area at least.

I already have two mom and pops that always break street date, but it doesn't hurt to know some more.

Vire

HawksWinStanley said:
I wonder if we'll see any 10/10's from any sites that matter.
No.

Gears 3 doesn't redefine the genre. It's a refinement of the series, I'd be absolutely shocked if there was anything like that.

Malo

Banned
rance said:
So are we allowed to discuss where we can get this early? In the NYC area at least.

I already have two mom and pops that always break street date, but it doesn't hurt to know some more.
Can you tell me where ? ;)

I might know of one store in NYC. I'm going to call to see when they're going to get it in.

RedStep

Vire said:
No.

Gears 3 doesn't redefine the genre. It's a refinement of the series, I'd be absolutely shocked if there was anything like that.

Are you saying that a game has to redefine a genre to get a (valid) perfect score? Somebody better go tell Roger Ebert to scrap all those 4-star ratings...

Vire

RedStep said:
Are you saying that a game has to redefine a genre to get a (valid) perfect score? Somebody better go tell Roger Ebert to scrap all those 4-star ratings...
I don't think you can view a 5/5 or 4/4 star review in the same light as ten out of ten. They are different scales of measurement.

1 Star = Bad
2 Star = Below Average
3 Star = Average
4 Star = Great
5 Star = Excellent

A ten out of ten is more akin to a educational grading scale, where 100/100 is perfect and so on. It's apples and oranges. Star ratings aren't meant to be converted to numerical scores.

Poker360 said:
You may be shocked then.
Do you know something I don't?

def sim

SuperMalo said:
Can you tell me where ? ;)

I might know of one store in NYC. I'm going to call to see when they're going to get it in.

I know, for sure, a store in Brooklyn is selling it as of today. My friend has a copy and I'll probably find out where he bought it later tonight.

Malo

Banned
rance said:
I know, for sure, a store in Brooklyn is selling it as of today. My friend has a copy and I'll probably find out where he bought it later tonight.
Sweet. Let me know please.

DarkChild

Banned
Poker360 said:
Yes, not reviewing this game though, but i know for a fact there will be a handful of 10s for this game.
1cc6d3b8058cca91980878f9e699aea8.jpg

Vire

Poker360 said:
Yes, not reviewing this game though, but i know for a fact there will be a handful of 10s for this game.
I still remain skeptical. I'll believe it when I see it...

Especially considering this is coming from a person who has a gamertag, avatar and gamer picture that are all related to the Gears of War franchise.

ILHASS said:
Cool, never heard of them but still nice to see I guess. Aren't they breaking the NDA though?

Poker360

Vire said:
I still remain skeptical. I'll believe it when I see it...

Especially considering this is coming from a person who has a gamertag, avatar and gamer picture that are all related to the Gears of War franchise.

Cool, never heard of them but still nice to see I guess. Aren't they breaking the NDA though?

You will see tomorrow. :)

ILHASS

Beat the game about half an hour and i take my words back..Absolutely brilliant game..around 9.7 for me. But story..They said we will know all the secrets about Adam, Queen and e.t.c, but still..almost nothing. no doubt we will see prequel in the future.

sry for my english

Vire said:

bet they haven't signed an NDA, small unheard of sites and blogs often have the first reviews because they've gotten a copy early and aren't bound by nda's

Vire

Considering that site gave a 9.5 to Resistance 3 recently, I would take that review with a heavy grain of salt.

OrangeOak

Vire said:
No.

yes, because that's how reviews works today :p
Even Gears 2 has some 10's on metacritic.

Vire

OrangeOak said:
yes, because that's how reviews works today :p
Even Gears 2 has some 10's on metacritic.
Metacritic converts star ratings into numerical scores. It's rather useless because of this.

I explained why in an above post.

Gears 2 did not receive a 10 from any major site. As it shouldn't, because the multiplayer was far from what I would call perfect...

Willeth

siyrobbo said:
bet they haven't signed an NDA, small unheard of sites and blogs often have the first reviews because they've gotten a copy early and aren't bound by nda's
Well, true, but there's also the difference between NDAs and embargos. I'm not certain about how it works with Gears, but for all the games I've ever got to review, I've never signed an NDA (although I have for preview events). It's been a press embargo included in the package. The threat isn't a legal one - more that if you run a review pre-embargo, the PRs will take you off their list, and it's more an implied threat than explicit.

An embargo from a source in regular journalism is a request that the journalist usually accepts because they want to continue receiving information from that source - in consumer journalism, it's similar, but the source is instead a PR or marketing firm and the journo wants to keep receiving products for review.

Now, for bigger titles, NDAs could of course come into the question. There was a big review event for Gears 3 a few weeks ago in London, and I'm certain anyone who got their copies there signed an NDA on entry. Anyone who requested a copy from PR and received one may have had to sign an NDA in advance but I have no knowledge either way here - ordinarily I'd doubt it but it's one of MS's biggest releases in a while and they might be being careful.

The point, though, is that rather than risking legal action, BeingNerdy might instead be risking their credentials with Microsoft by running a review early, banking on the fact that it's favourable to keep them in the clear and enticed into it by the early pageviews they'll get from the thousands of folk reading this very thread.

Or, of course, they could have paid through the nose for a broken street date, as you say.

OrangeOak

Vire said:
Metacritic converts star ratings into numerical scores. It's rather useless because of this.

Gears 2 did not receive a 10 from any major site. As it shouldn't, because the multiplayer was far from what I would call perfect...

"A" from 1UP doesn't count either ?
So maybe Reach or GTA4 are better examples.
and to be clear I know what you mean but I'm not sure if it works that way these days ;)

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Vire said:

I don't recall Gears 2 ever being docked for the MP at all. It's part of the reason why reviews are so stupid, since they're all done prerelease and games that are near unplayable tend to be fine in the closed off sessions before the gates open.

malfcn

Willeth said:
Wow, people actually got extras? Damn, I should have asked earlier. I'm still in need of one.

Put me on the list behind you.

Where did the LiVE ports come from? They official?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Just check the last page of the Epic Forum's thread on it to know what's up with the Crimson Omen Lancer.

malfcn said:
Put me on the list behind you.

Where did the LiVE ports come from? They official?
Yeah if you troubleshoot difficulties connecting to XBL with MS on their website, or I think even on the Xbox, especially if it's a problem with your NAT, they suggest for you to open your ports.

Trust me, it works. My online experiences went from not being able to find a game anywhere PERIOD in Halo, to being able to make use of my $60 XBL purchase.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom