• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 3 |OT| BROTHERS TO THE END

Status
Not open for further replies.
Willeth said:
Wow, people actually got extras? Damn, I should have asked earlier. I'm still in need of one.

I jumped through all the hoops, finished the training, but I never did get the "code banner". I guess us canadians are shit out of luck when it comes to using expertzone stores from the U.S.

if there are lots of codes flying around plz PM me one enzo. no worries if your out, it's only one skin.

razu

I played Gears 1, a lot. I loved my shotgun, the world was a special place.

Gears 2... not my cup of tea. Really, I would have been happier with more maps for multiplayer Gears 1.

So then, some questions for those in the know...

Q1.

Can I choose to play Warzone, or is it part of a game mode play list?

Q2.

Can I pick the map I want to play? Or do we have to vote, and stuff...?

Q3.

Does the running around and gun pointy bits feel more like:

i) Gears 1
ii) Gears 2
iii) Something else, but still cool, (as in, not like Gears 2).​

I want to like Gears 3 so much, but Gears 2, for me, was a let down. I am not implying that if you liked Gears 2 then you are an idiot, just that I didn't and I'm trying to figure out whether to buy this one or not.

Thank you!

JambiBum

Alienshogun said:
I thought the crimson weapons were unlockable in game, anyway, they are possibly the LEAST desirable skins in the game IMO.
All of them are except the lancer. I'm guessing microsoft snatched the lancer up for this promotion.

mblitek

Canadians always get screwed by our party downstairs brethren. That's it, CliffyB tell Mark Rein I'll start releasing his horseback riding pictures from years ago.

Pretty pumped to finally play a non half-assed co-op. Plus 4-players? Nice. Resistance 2 had 8player but it wasn't really true co-op. It was a two sentence scenario brief and 8players vs bots. Similar to Horde mode now that I think about it.

But my favourite thing I'm looking forward to? The crunchy, meaty, "thick" sounds :)

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
mblitek said:
Canadians always get screwed by our party downstairs brethren. That's it, CliffyB tell Mark Rein I'll start releasing his horseback riding pictures from years ago.

Pretty pumped to finally play a non half-assed co-op. Plus 4-players? Nice. Resistance 2 had 8player but it wasn't really true co-op. It was a two sentence scenario brief and 8players vs bots. Similar to Horde mode now that I think about it.

But my favourite thing I'm looking forward to? The crunchy, meaty, "thick" sounds :)

I guess you're not following the whole "release" party going on in Vancouver and Toronto?

JambiBum

Alienshogun said:
eh, no big loss. Had it in Beta and wasn't impressed.
I wouldn't care but I don't want an incomplete set. If I end up missing a full set then I'm fine, but missing just the lancer would make me sad.

Volimar

razu said:

Gears 2... not my cup of tea. Really, I would have been happier with more maps for multiplayer Gears 1.

Q1.

Q2.

Q3.

i) Gears 1
ii) Gears 2

I want to like Gears 3 so much, but Gears 2, for me, was a let down. I am not implying that if you liked Gears 2 then you are an idiot, just that I didn't and I'm trying to figure out whether to buy this one or not.

Thank you!

1). You can play just Warzone.

2). In ranked, you vote. In public it rotates I believe.

3). It's fast paced and has a feel a lot like Gears 1, but the balance is sublime. Expect to both die and kill more often than you're used to.

OrangeOak

razu said:

Q1.

Q2.

Q3.

i) Gears 1
ii) Gears 2

Thank you!

1. Yes you can choose Warzone

2. No you can't ,there is voting before ranked matches and map rotation in player matches

3.CMS(character movement speed) is like in Gears 1 (or almost) ,gun pointy is more like Gears 2,your bullets are coming from the gun like in Gears 2 and not from center of the screen like in Gears 1.
But overall it feels much much better than Gears 2,more dynamic ,fast and responsive.
I love Gears 1 and hate Gears 2 and I would say that Gears 3 is better even than first game.

razu said:
Q3.

i) Gears 1
ii) Gears 2

Thank you!

Gears 3 has the speed of Gears 1 with Gears 2's cover system improvements (which have been further enhanced).

malfcn

oSr4v.jpg

dat ass.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
JambiBum said:
I wouldn't care but I don't want an incomplete set. If I end up missing a full set then I'm fine, but missing just the lancer would make me sad.

Glad I'm not that way, haha. I'll simply rotate out my favorites.

Mihael Mello Keehl said:
yea I agree they're less desirable, Im buying my skin of choice though.

Yeah, I'll do the same.
The Xtortionist said:
Gears 3 has the speed of Gears 1 with Gears 2's cover system improvements (which have been further enhanced).

There's also 8 direction "diving."

Willeth

Alienshogun said:
Glad I'm not that way, haha. I'll simply rotate out my favorites.
It's weird. I'll likely be using my chrome Lancer because fyeah.jpg but I still want the CO Lancer. Just for the sake of having more options, I guess. I can always be a unique snowflake.

zaidr

A while back, I traded in my copy of Bulletstorm to Gamestop (after the Gears 3 beta), and at the time they were having a trade-in promotion for the release of LA Noire. I could get $45 trade in value for Bulletstorm if I put it towards a preorder for LA Noire. If I ended up using the preorder later for another game, it would go back to $35, the non-promo trade in rate.

So a few days ago, I go into Gamestop and move my old preorder credit to a preorder of Gears 3. I look at my receipt, and its still $45 towards Gears 3.

Small victory. :p

I just saw the retro lancer comparison vid. What's with the graphics downgrade? The new coloring makes everything look washed out and it seems like some shadows are missing now.

Marcus' hair wasn't moving either in the retail version while it did when he shifted his balance in the beta.

mblitek

Alienshogun said:
I guess you're not following the whole "release" party going on in Vancouver and Toronto?

I've missed that somewhere. I'm guessing the Toronto one is at Yonge & Dundas square? Is it put on by Microsoft or Gamestop,Bestbuy etc?

JambiBum

HawksWinStanley said:
I just saw the retro lancer comparison vid. What's with the graphics downgrade? The new coloring makes everything look washed out and it seems like some shadows are missing now.

Marcus' hair wasn't moving either in the retail version while it did when he shifted his balance in the beta.
Video is bad resolution. I wouldn't worry too much

Willeth

JambiBum said:
Video is bad resolution. I wouldn't worry too much
Nah, people are complaining about this on Epic's forums also. It's a minor enough change but I do wonder about the green. Maybe it's due to a story setting, maybe it helps with target acquisition, who knows.

zlatko

Banned
ILHASS said:

I know the guy who runs the site, and they break the embargo on purpose. Insomniac and EPIC both gave them shout outs on their twitters, so it looks like it's a good way to get hits without creating flame bait articles like other smaller sites do.

I haven't read much of the content on that site, but I went through this Gears 3 review and it's pretty well done, and the guy definitely played it from the sounds of it.

No mentions of flaws though. Hmmm.

razu

Thanks for the prompt replies! This is bought!!!

Beware my shotgun. In real life I'm so good with one... I once won a hat. True story.

Thank you!

HawksWinStanley said:
I don't think poor resolution explains missing effects.
I like everyone going ballistic in that Epic Forums thread.

"Shadows missing? I'm cancelling my pre-order!" :lol

I look forward to playing against them next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom