• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 3 |OT| BROTHERS TO THE END

Status
Not open for further replies.
Goddamn Jami, that's a lot of Gears of War playing. I need to step my game up. My goal is to get to level 60 by the end of the week. 5 levels a week until Anthony Carmine gets unlocked.

Dan Yo

Banned
Daigoro said:
i cant get the hang of this thing either. between the massive recoil, the bloom on the reticle, and trying to get a hang of the proper distance to use it at (somewhere inbetween shotty and Lancer), im pretty useless with it.

need more practice. i usually try to use it and fail and then immediately switch to the normal Lancer or the Hammerburst.
Ya the retro has definitely taken a nerfing since the beta. It still has it's uses though. It can make a decent alternative to the shotgun in some areas if you have the skill to keep it under control. It would be more useful if hiding around a corner with a gnasher and constantly strafing in and out, firing a quick shot each time you strafe out wasn't so ridiculously affective in this game. For all the complaints the SOS gets, at least you can't use that cheesy ass strategy with it.

-PXG-

JambiBum said:
Nope. I am unemployed for at least another week or so. Gears gets all of my time.
I have an interview tomorrow morning. Tomorrow through Monday, I have jack shit to do. We should play together, combine our beast powers and help each other rank up. Plus, we already have a lot of (strange) things in common.

we are the same person

So, do the majority actually like Cole? I think he's one of the lamest, annoyingly stereotypical characters I've ever come across. Baird is the only one with the potential to be amusing and I find him to be a bit too abrasive, anyway. And don't get me started on the women.

The character writing in this game is just kind of atrocious. Marcus is the only one I can stand, purely because he's pretty much a big hunk of nothingness.

-PXG-

MCXC Pioneer said:
Level 70? Damn, I'm only at 17...Stupid responsibilities.
I'm 67 now. I finally got someone talking shit about my rank earlier today. Of course, we completely wrecked his entire team. Sore losers...Gotta love it.

reggie

Banned
mickcenary said:
So, do the majority actually like Cole? I think he's one of the lamest, annoyingly stereotypical characters I've ever come across. Baird is the only one with the potential to be amusing and I find him to be a bit too abrasive, anyway. And don't get me started on the women.

The character writing in this game is just kind of atrocious. Marcus is the only one I can stand, purely because he's pretty much a big hunk of nothingness.
Is Lester Speight racist? Because Cole Train IS Lester Speight.

Alright, I'm sick and tired of this fucking shit. Fucking tired of playing with dumb fucking randoms who don't know how to capture a fucking hill, who just want to camp in cover and pop shots off in the hopes that they'll down the enemy. Goddamn fucking retards.

GT is conradcervantes. Mainly play KotH with a little bit of TDM every now and then.

whitehawk

Banned
ConradCervantes said:
Alright, I'm sick and tired of this fucking shit. Fucking tired of playing with dumb fucking randoms who don't know how to capture a fucking hill, who just want to camp in cover and pop shots off in the hopes that they'll down the enemy. Goddamn fucking retards.

GT is conradcervantes. Mainly play KotH with a little bit of TDM every now and then.
You're just like me :O

Holy crap, I'm shaking, I'm still so angry. Thirteen caps, five breaks. Next closest guy on my team had five caps and two breaks. MVP with 8702 points, no one else broke 7000, and we lost the match by one fucking second. Times like these, I wish I had a fucking headset. FUCK.

Overpass was the map, by the way. Fuck that shit, Epic.

aznpxdd

Just want to double check with Gaf, how many acts are there? I'm already at act 5, I hope its not the last act, game would feel so short if it is...

Amir0x said:
I don't think so. They mostly remove the only thing that separates Gears from the pack (at least, until everyone started copying them) - cover system picking. With Shotguns the emphasis is charging in to get close, removing the necessity of cover 9/10 times. Yes, all the Gears games leaned shotguns, but this game is just a mess. Nobody wants to use anything but a shotgun. In high rank rooms, it's a bloody massacre. Everyone rolling and coming out with a shot. It's too easy and lacks any real requirement of skill, and shatters cover balance. Let me emphasize this: it's too easy FOR ME too. I'm not complaining because I'm losing, I'm complaining because it's stripping all the fun and skill from the game. It's too mouthbreathingly dumb right now

Getting inside is so simple most of the time that even if you make tense to get a lancer use, unless you're defending some stronghold, you'll rarely have time to make any real meaningful use of it before you have to resort back to shotguns.

If you made a ratio of kills, shotguns are going to be so massively ahead of the pack that it'll insane. And I bet if you compared it to the ratio in Gears 1 and 2, Gears 3 will be markedly ahead by a few months.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XK27uc43Ek

To say lacks any real requirement of skill is absurd. You can say that for the SOS, to a degree, but don't say shit about the gnasher.

JambiBum

-PXG- said:
I have an interview tomorrow morning. Tomorrow through Monday, I have jack shit to do. We should play together, combine our beast powers and help each other rank up. Plus, we already have a lot of (strange) things in common.

we are the same person
I wanted to join you earlier tonight but I saw that you were full. If you are free tomorrow afternoon I should be on.

Also I realized why I like Warzone and execution more than TD. One bad player can fuck it up for the entire team. With the other game types they can only die once a round.

kingofthedead45 said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XK27uc43Ek

To say lacks any real requirement of skill is absurd. You can say that for the SOS, to a degree, but don't say shit about the gnasher.

YEAHBUDDY. Man, Gold Glove is a fucking NERDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD! One thing I need to do more is pop-shots. It's not that they're difficult, it's more that I just don't think to play that way due to prior FPS habits ("Iron Sights of Duty" and whatnot). You turn that much slower when aiming.

Dan Yo

Banned
JambiBum said:
I wanted to join you earlier tonight but I saw that you were full. If you are free tomorrow afternoon I should be on.

Also I realized why I like Warzone and execution more than TD. One bad player can fuck it up for the entire team. With the other game types they can only die once a round.
Not to mention that positioning on the map means jack shit when people you just killed are spawning in front of and/or behind you randomly. Nothing feels cheaper than having a battle with a couple guys for a power weapon only to have someone you killed earlier spawn on your side behind you and just walk up and shotgun blast you while you're battling.

Team deathmatch really should've been lower on the list and warzone should've been the first game type in the menu. It's ridiculous how many more people are playing team deathmatch just based on the name and list placement.

JambiBum

Dan Yo said:
Not to mention that positioning on the map means jack shit when people you just killed are spawning in front of and/or behind you randomly. Nothing feels cheaper than having a battle with a couple guys for a power weapon only to have someone you killed earlier spawn on your side behind you and just walk up and shotgun blast you while you're battling.

Team deathmatch really should've been lower on the list and warzone should've been the first game type in the menu. It's ridiculous how many more people are playing team deathmatch just based on the name and list placement.
The spawns aren't really random though. If someone pushes into the other spawn they will spawn on the opposite side. It also always warns you when they are spawning in the other spawn. Though sometimes if you are in the middle of a fight it is hard to notice.

I do wish TD was at the bottom of the list though. Seems most people just jump into the top gametype.

Dan Yo

Banned
I can't believe they left ghost camming in ranked and allowed the tac com to see through smoke again even after the beta. Both of those should've been eliminated.

aznpxdd said:
Awww, this one feels considerably shorter than 1 & 2 for some reason...

Yeah for some reason this actually feels shorter than the other two games. There is no way the Gears 3 campaign is longer than the Gears 2 campaign.

I'll start off by saying i am absolute garbage at this game.

To me so far its like golf, one day I think i've cracked it and the next i'll be worse than before. I lose so many lives just headlessly running in when I know I shoudn't.

It's not the SoS that gets me angry, its my own stupidity in certain situations :(

RBK

Banned
Just finished the campaign, satisfying end to the trilogy unlike some games(HALO 3)!

Anyways, bring on the MP DLC, hoping for a Ash Man, Armored Kantus, and SnapBack Cole skins.

RBK

Banned
Took me about 8-9 hours on 2 player Hardcore co-op. Shorter than the other 2 Gears games. I rank this one before Gears 2 in terms of which has the best campaign.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Daigoro said:
whats the difference between quick match and ranked?

anyone know?

Quick match is drop in/drop out, always going games. Ranked finds lobbies, starts from scratch, and penalizes you for dropping.

Ballistik

-PXG- said:
I'm 67 now. I finally got someone talking shit about my rank earlier today. Of course, we completely wrecked his entire team. Sore losers...Gotta love it.
66 here. Trying to keep up, but I'm juggling Gears and school now. :(

You two are going to completely take off..

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
Just beat the game. Was pretty damn good. Gears campaigns have all been pretty consistently fun IMO. Although this one did drag a bit at the end.

malfcn

Turning this game off again -- my connection hasn't found a server all night. And the matches have all been - "your team has 1 life left in the match, btw you're dead, enjoy your loss" - type of games.

JambiBum said:
Servers have been fine for me all day long.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom