• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 3 |OT| BROTHERS TO THE END

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seth Balmore said:
Apparently Epic increased spawn protection from 2 seconds to 6. Can anyone check?

Why would they change that, anyway?

EDIT: Yup, Jim Brown (level designer) confirmed they changed it for TDM only. That's more understandable.
Sometimes a dude respawns right behind your guys

Lima

MarshMellow96 said:
When two close range actives don't knock a guy out of it, yes it is, Mr sarcy.

I wasn't being sarcastic.

The chainsaw and the rifle it is attached to are way too powerful. It is the best weapon in the game. I downed 4 guys with the same clip yesterday. Shouldn't be possible.

Btw I like playing CTL but is there a way to turn that stupid tooltip of when you are the leader? Yeah I know what to do, just let me play.

sajj316

HooCares said:
When you aim with the gnasher what happens re: spread and range? Are either increased or decreased?

Seems like not aiming results in more 1-shot kills than aiming.

I'm not sure if spread and range changes whether you aim or not. I do know that shots to the face will yield more damage (as with any other gun). An active reload shot to the face should take him out and it's possible to blind fire to the face (I've done it many times).

DMeisterJ said:
Some of you guys are over level 60? o_O I'm still 17 or 18

Level 68 :D

The retro charge makes me rage more than the chainsaw, tbh. With the chainsaw you can roll back and gain distance, but when we're talking about the charge...

Amir0x said:
"Deal with it, if you don't like the game leave, shotguns are fun and it's always been this way" - these aren't arguments, these are irrational fanboy vomitations in place of legitimate defenses of these systems.

If you LIKE THEM, that's fine, but surely you'd have something better to say for its value then the asinine shit I'm hearing.

But, I doubt it - I've been playing Gears for years and this is the first time me or any of my friends have been upset by shotgun balance. It's forcing a specific repetitious gametype that just repeats itself over and over, until the sun sets. If that's all you need out of your multiplayer, then fine. I just need more skill requirements out of it and more variety out of playtype.
Did you play the Beta? I ask because in the beta i didn't feel it was shotty focus so I want to know if you found it different from the Beta.

Superimposer

This is getting weirder all the time
I saw some guy Level 82 yesterday. PXG, you fail massively. Catch up!

Nah but he was kinda crap, leads me to wonder how long he must've played already

Hixx

So I spent some spare points on the pink skins. Feel kind of dirty but gibbing someone with a bright pink shotgun amuses me a great deal...

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
h3ro said:
Would anyone like to try Beast mode tonight? (EST)

I haven't played it yet and understand that there is a skin/medal unlocked by beating it on Insane. Who's down?
I would be down, should I get the time. It needs to be all of insane through without failing a wave though, so you have to restart from first wave every time. Wish I knew this before, Wave 11 on Sandbar (not a good map to do it on, contrary to what people say, too open, you get troika'd to hell and back.) was a bitch, took probably 30 tries.

Hixx

Been in 3 games in a row where I've been lucky to get 3 kills in the WHOLE match then I jump into another and finish 18-0.

Game confuses the fuck out of me to be bluntly honest. I've just been hopping through games being stomped on (to the point I even whipped out the SOS cos I was sick as fuck of 4/5 of other team using it), 0.5kd/r then I go and do a game like that where every single Gnasher fight ended in me gibbing them. If this game was consistent it'd be the best one out there.

K' Dash

LosDaddie said:
Thanks for joining me last night, K Dash!

The campaign is so good.

No problem, campaign is dem good with company, we should gather a team and play horde, I reached wave 30 with randoms but hey were really bad and I was the only one with a mic :/

HixxSAFC said:
Been in 3 games in a row where I've been lucky to get 3 kills in the WHOLE match then I jump into another and finish 18-0.
Maybe matchmaking is just putting you with weaker players once you start losing a lot.

REV 09 said:
seriously? hyperbole much.

get better.

You do realise that was purely, facetious, right? I actually do pretty decent each game/round. I've played enough Gears to know what's bullshit and what amounts to me screwing up. I'm fine with that.

I swear, Gears fans give fighting game fans a run for their money with the 'stay free/get better noob' bullshit. Your favourite game in the whole wide world can have flaws, you know.

Willeth

So, quick show of hands - who here, after railing against all the skin DLC, has bought just the one, or changed their mind after seeing one that they really wanted, or bought a character skin on eBay?

Anabuhabkuss said:
Yeah. Crisis adverted.
Well hate to sound the alarm again, but I'm playing KOTH at the moment and I clearly saw the spawn protection counter on top of my character counting down from 5 seconds.

Oh boy.

Willeth said:
So, quick show of hands - who here, after railing against all the skin DLC, has bought just the one, or changed their mind after seeing one that they really wanted, or bought a character skin on eBay?
Haven't bought any Gears 3 DLC yet and don't plan on touching weapon skins. Not gonna go crazy over characters either.

The only DLC I'll get are maps and campaign addons. And it still pisses me off to know there's at least 3 locked maps on the disc (Azura, Rustlung and Blood Drive), but what can you do.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Willeth said:

I didn't go nuts about it, I knew it was a choice. I bought the rainbow ones. Gotta represent cocks on cocks.

The Stig

Hey so I'm liking this game very much

British Meat is my gamertag (yeah I know) anyone feel free to add me. I love horde mode and co-op stuff.

One question though, the retro lancer bayonet kill. I can do the runup but can NEVER follow through. What is the trick? I've tried hitting the right trigger when I get close, but I always just come to a grinding halt in the enemy's face.

The Stig said:

British Meat is my gamertag (yeah I know) anyone feel free to add me. I love horde mode and co-op stuff.

One question though, the retro lancer bayonet kill. I can do the runup but can NEVER follow through. What is the trick? I've tried hitting the right trigger when I get close, but I always just come to a grinding halt in the enemy's face.
You'll need enough distance to get the momentum needed to impale a dude.

Seanbob11

The Stig said:

I could be wrong, but the bar that goes down whilst you're in a charge has to turn red before you spike them to the heavens...

Seanbob11 said:
I could be wrong, but the bar that goes down whilst you're in a charge has to turn red before you spike them to the heavens...
Nah, you can impale an enemy much earlier. In the days of the beta Cliff told us that when your character starts yelling, that's when you can impale someone.

Lothars

The Stig said:

All you have to do is press b than when you see the bar going red than it will do the kill if it's not red or the red has run out than you will just run into the target.

Willeth said:
I haven't bought one yet, but my opinion has certainly made a 180. Now that I've played the game a bit more I know I'm going to be sticking with it; Multiplayer is amazing. As soon as I decide on a skin I want I'll buy one.

Sorry, I guess I'm going to be part of the problem. :p

The Stig

_dementia said:
British Meat, are you running with the A button or the B button?
looooool

B

I must be mistiming it. Either running too far or too short. Just make sure the hit is when the bar is red? No other button pushes? great. Will try when I get off work.

Thanks guys.

I'm looking to knock out 50 waves of horde on casual tonight. Should be on around 630 or 7 EST to get it started. I will probably be spamming the communal tag I'm on but if anyone else wants in just send me a message today and I'll be sure to send you an invite.

GT: ReaganStein

dralla

it's ridiculous that you can talk to people after you get killed in execution. the really intense 1v1 battles of Gears 1 are gone and flanking people in general has become almost useless. why did they do this

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Willeth said:
I surprisingly got a free Mechanic Baird in the mail, and won a commando Dom on GAF.

Offered someone a legit DiRT3 steam key for their Savage Kantus but they didn't hit me back after saying they'd do it :( Offer still stands for either of the two skins I don't already own (Savage Kantus and Savage Grenadier Elite).

2th

Banned
Seth Balmore said:
Apparently Epic increased spawn protection from 2 seconds to 6. Can anyone check?

Why would they change that, anyway?

EDIT: Yup, Jim Brown (level designer) confirmed they changed it for TDM only. That's more understandable.

<3 Jim Brown

Also he isnt JUSY a level designer. He is the LEAD mp level designer.

Hixx

_dementia said:
Maybe matchmaking is just putting you with weaker players once you start losing a lot.

No its just putting me in fucking american servers. Sick of it.

They need to put regional matchmaking in. They can tell you how many in your region are playing but thats pissing useless if you put me in a game that is being hosted on the other side of an ocean.

I'd rather wait a minute or two to play in a UK/west europe game then get into one miles away in 10 seconds.

JB1981

Risk Breaker said:
Also, to Amir0x

Yeah, right. First I'll post this logarithmic chart of Kills per hour per player from Gears 2:

5bv7kx.jpg

And now, the linear version just in case you don't realize the huge difference:

osa8sz.jpg

Even more balanced than ever in Gears 2. Gears 3 is a more rifle/less shotgun oriented game than 2 and obviously 1.

Stop complaining about that. It's like going into the BF3 beta thread and complaining that too many kills are made by rifles :(!

wow @ this graph.

LosDaddie

Banned
K' Dash said:
No problem, campaign is dem good with company, we should gather a team and play horde, I reached wave 30 with randoms but hey were really bad and I was the only one with a mic :/

I'll definitely be playing a lot of MP and Horde/Beast mode this weekend. I was planning on focusing just on the Campaign during the week.

Most of my kills come from the Lancer. There are so many noobs running around who almost exclusively use shotguns. I know i'm not good with them, and tend to keep my distance, so it works. I usually finish matches with a K/D ratio of about 2.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
_dementia said:
Insane is easier in Arcade mode due to respawns right? Do you still get the Insane difficulty achievement at the end?
I believe so. If not, do one act and then check your in-game achievements to see if you have made progress. Cliff said the only incentive not to do arcade was immersion.

My coop buddy wants the revives though, so we went back to regular. It's definitely a huge part of the coop experience, and you don't realize it until your looking at the respawn screen for 30 seconds.

I wanna get 4 player online insane coop done with GAFers eventually though.

2th

Banned
Seth Balmore said:
I share that sentiment, but I'm afraid something didn't go as planned. I'm playing some KOTH and getting 5 seconds of spawn protection. It's not just in TDM. :/

really? Guess i need to check that and might have an email to send.

_dementia said:
Insane is easier in Arcade mode due to respawns right? Do you still get the Insane difficulty achievement at the end?
there is liek a 20 second respawn timer. and if all 4 people die you fail. It isnt really THAT much easier. Hell the last time i did it with some people we couldnt get past the leviathan.

Apoc87

Banned
enzo_gt said:
Cliff said the only incentive not to do arcade was immersion.

And the fact that the game resets all players loadouts. This really sucks, and hopefully it gets enough complaints to where it is patched. It is very annoying having to trade weapons at the beginning every chapter.

Anyone got a concrete explanation why they do this? Why can't I keep my loadout from the previous chapter?

CliffyB

Playah
Apoc87 said:
And the fact that the game resets all players loadouts. This really sucks, and hopefully it gets enough complaints to where it is patched. It is very annoying having to trade weapons at the beginning every chapter.

Anyone got a concrete explanation why they do this? Why can't I keep my loadout from the previous chapter?

It's done so that each section is its own contained area for the leaderboards and comparison.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom