• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 3 |OT| BROTHERS TO THE END

Status
Not open for further replies.

Loam

All of the multiplayer characters share the same hitbox right? Griffin, Anya, and Myrrah just seem so much smaller than the rest of the cast.

Addnan said:
Some do it to work towards to 1000 matches needed as female characters for Onyx.

For fuck's sake. Is it too much to ask for some REASONABLE goals to unlock shit?! This is where I'm totally for paid content, even if the pricing is somewhat ludicrous; at least I'd have a fucking chance of getting it then.

We're not 15 year olds anymore, Epic. We don't divvy up our waking hours between Gears of War and Masturbations of War, even thought we'd very much like to; it just can't be done. And as good as this game is, it's not the ONLY FUCKING GAME ON THE CONSOLE. WE'VE OTHER SHIT TO SHOOT - OTHER PERSPECTIVES TO ENTER INTO, LIKE 'FIRST'.

Gawsh.

JambiBum

malfcn said:
Turning this game off again -- my connection hasn't found a server all night. And the matches have all been - "your team has 1 life left in the match, btw you're dead, enjoy your loss" - type of games.
Play ranked. Problem solved.

DoomGyver

Just went 1 and 6, I'm not playing multi if the servers are down, ever.
edit: quit and joined a new match and I think i'm on a dedi.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Wren said:
All of the multiplayer characters share the same hitbox right? Griffin, Anya, and Myrrah just seem so much smaller than the rest of the cast.

Yeah, it's just a placebo effect. I feel like I move faster with Griffin but it's all the same. I do actually tend to do better as COG though.

And yeah, playing when you can clearly tell dedis are down SUCKS. The retro becomes pretty much shit, and the SOS is 10x more annoying. I actually swap to it when I can tell there's lag to counter the bullshit with even more bullshit.

Ballistik

Full Recovery said:
Cogs just won a TDM round but the Locust got the point.
Happened to me on Gridlock. They got the point but after we won the second round, the score was still screwed up but said we won the match. So it's just like a visual error I suppose.

Jacob4815

FateBreaker said:
Yeah for some reason this actually feels shorter than the other two games. There is no way the Gears 3 campaign is longer than the Gears 2 campaign.

I'm at the beginning of act 4.
In GOW3 the lenght of chapters in every act is substantially much shorter than the GOW2 ones.

Just dropped the $30 on the season pass. Fully committed to this game now. With its meta-achievement system, this game scratches that same itch that kept me playing Halo Reach for hundreds and hundreds of hours. Love this.

Kajiba

I want play more hotel in these matchmaking games but barely get the shit sometimes. I get more beta maps than anything else. = (

and yeah, fuck overpass. Shitty map when its not horde.

KaYotiX

Banned
Going to buy the season pass, I'm loving this more than gears 2!! Also thinking of buying some wpn skins....damn it all :p

Edit:agree overpass is the shittiest map if ur not playing horde

Man, I'm shooting people in the face with the Gnasher and I still feel like I'm doing it wrong. I know how to wallbounce, roll, pop in and out of hard shots and do mix ups, etc - yet when I hit a guy 3 times in the torso/head I still manage getting gibbed or downed in 1/2 shots. It can't be the active reloads that make the difference, because I'm doing the same damn thing.

Is the Gnasher really as random as they say? It's frustrating to think that I can do all I can as a player to down/kill a guy and it not be enough, to be quite honest. I don't think it comes down to a player being simply 'better', either.

Reikon

AcciDante said:
Any tips for beating the absolutely terrible last boss on insane? (2 players)

Have one player play on easy and the other on insane. :D

Seriously, that's how we ended up doing it, and we were only playing with one of us on insane and the other on hardcore. We spent about an hour trying to do it legitimately and got too frustrated.

Ballistik said:
66 here. Trying to keep up, but I'm juggling Gears and school now. :(

You two are going to completely take off..

Fuck, you guys finally caught me, I'm level 66 as well, well done! </Prescott>

Also, to Amir0x

If you made a ratio of kills, shotguns are going to be so massively ahead of the pack that it'll insane. And I bet if you compared it to the ratio in Gears 1 and 2, Gears 3 will be markedly ahead by a few months.

Yeah, right. First I'll post this logarithmic chart of Kills per hour per player from Gears 2:

5bv7kx.jpg

And now, the linear version just in case you don't realize the huge difference:

osa8sz.jpg

These images were posted by Lee Perry, so no rebuttal allowed. As you can see the Lancer (and only the Lancer) got a boost in use after an update a full year after release (and then another update buffed the gnasher even more so...) and still there was a HUGE difference.

Now I'll tell you how many kills I have with every weapon type on Gears 3:

Rifle: 950
Shotgun: 2164
Pistol: 268
Picked-up: 934
Heavy weapons: 107
Grenades: 239

Even more balanced than ever in Gears 2. Gears 3 is a more rifle/less shotgun oriented game than 2 and obviously 1.

Stop complaining about that. It's like going into the BF3 beta thread and complaining that too many kills are made by rifles :(!

Zezboob

I am surprised by the complains about the lack of power of the rifles.
The Lanzor is lovely, I easily punish anyone who tries to run at me with a shotgun.

And if you have a good teamwork of players using rifles, it's really deadly.

krakov

KorrZ said:
Is it just me or is the map rotation in this game terrible! I've played nothing but Mercy, Sandbar and Gridlock all day today. It's the same thing everyday. Rotates between 2 or 3 maps over and over it seems like :/

Yeah, it doesn't work at all. Played for well over five hours yesterday and didn't see Hotel once. Makes you look forward to spending cash on dlc maps that may or may not show up every once in a blue moon.

mocoworm

krakov said:
Yeah, it doesn't work at all. Played for well over five hours yesterday and didn't see Hotel once. Makes you look forward to spending cash on dlc maps that may or may not show up every once in a blue moon.

Every time I see an elusive map it never gets voted for. I think this is because everyone is used to the maps that usually pop up for the very reason that they appear more frequently.

JimiNutz

Banned
I love this game, but I just dont have the time (or skill) to get really good to the point where I can play the game on my own.
If im in a team I do well, but by myself with randoms its usually really frustrating. Since launch I've had a solid party of 3 or 4 who have been playing regularly and its been really fun but now they say they're all going to move onto either Battlefield or COD when they come out :(

Maybe I should play with more Gaffers!
Got Thursday and Friday off so will be on all day if anyone wants to play with me - NutJobJim

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
I had some great days tonight. Some of the funniest deaths and kills all around. The highlight of my night was being one kill away from 20 and 0 and then blowing myself up with the digger.

So I beat Beast mode on insane yesterday without retrying any wave, why didn't I unlock the Savage Theron guard? Do I have to get through hardcore and normal as well?

-PXG-

Why does it take so long to get into matches. I get them in them in a matter of seconds. Also, I don't ever get any lag or any connection issues.

The netcode and online stability for this game is best I've ever experienced.

vodka-bull said:
So I beat Beast mode on insane yesterday without retrying any wave, why didn't I unlock the Savage Theron guard? Do I have to get through hardcore and normal as well?

No.

And you should have unlocked it. That's very odd.

i understand that they don't want to answer everything, but the whole thing with the HUMAN queen, i mean COME ON!! then again maybe they're saving it for a prequel.

2San

Risk Breaker said:
Even more balanced than ever in Gears 2. Gears 3 is a more rifle/less shotgun oriented game than 2 and obviously 1.

Stop complaining about that. It's like going into the BF3 beta thread and complaining that too many kills are made by rifles :(!
Well the major problem with Gears is that the rifles are boring as fuck to use compared to the Gnasher. I force myself to use the Gnasher even though I'm way better with the lancer. Making it more balanced means making the game more boring. Gears 2 was more fun and had way more tension online, it's just that the lag breaks the game. Dedi's is imo one of the saving graces of Gears 3(which sadly becomes painfully apparent when you aren't playing on one.

-PXG-

Holy shit at the Cluck Shot. HAHAHAHAHAHA. I'm so doing that.

Make that a MP mutator for Private games please. PLEASE.

Zezboob

vodka-bull said:
The game definitely have problems with the unlocks.

I played during the first week and I didn't get the Gold Hammerburst :|

Played a little more yesterday, now up to a measly level 11.

Really digging it, netcode is fantastic. Im not great, but my K/D is 1.1 and Im usually in the top 3 (which makes this the best at Gears Ive ever been, sadly enough). Although I will say people whine and bitch in this game more than any other multiplayer game Ive played. Every game, it seems someone goes 4-11, runs out of lives, and then talks about how horrible the team is. Almost... every... game. Pubs are horrible.

Bought the pass though, really enjoying it and will be spending more time with it as time becomes available.

2San said:
Well the major problem with Gears is that the rifles are boring as fuck to use compared to the Gnasher. I force myself to use the Gnasher even though I'm way better with the lancer. Making it more balanced means making the game more boring. Gears 2 was more fun and had way more tension online, it's just that the lag breaks the game. Dedi's is imo one of the saving graces of Gears 3(which sadly becomes painfully apparent when you aren't playing on one.

Yeah, I completely agree.

JMizzlin

Any idea on how to host public Horde games? I want to start from wave 45 on my map of choice and want randoms to play with.

EDIT: nvm, pressed select to choose the lobby type.

New question: can people join mid-game or do they have to start in the lobby with us?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Eye Drop said:
Any idea on how to host public Horde games? I want to start from wave 45 on my map of choice and want randoms to play with.

EDIT: nvm, pressed select to choose the lobby type.

New question: can people join mid-game or do they have to start in the lobby with us?
You cant.

RIP Halo 2's searchable private lobbies.

Apparently Epic increased spawn protection from 2 seconds to 6. Can anyone check?

Why would they change that, anyway?

EDIT: Yup, Jim Brown (level designer) confirmed they changed it for TDM only. That's more understandable.

Seth Balmore said:
Apparently Epic increased spawn protection from 2 seconds to 5. Can anyone check?

EDIT: Yup, Jim Brown (level designer) confirmed they changed it for TDM only. That's more understandable.

I don't think that is an unreasonable change at all. I've had spawns in TDM where I spawn and there are 2-3 of the enemy team at the 'entrance' to the spawn zone. Since there's generally no cover in the spawn zones you are hosed if that happens.

BlueScrote said:
I don't think that is an unreasonable change at all. I've had spawns in TDM where I spawn and there are 2-3 of the enemy team at the 'entrance' to the spawn zone. Since there's generally no cover in the spawn zones you are hosed if that happens.
Yes, I agree it's reasonable in TDM. I hope they keep it away from KOTH though (it's what I mainly play) since many ring locations are usually right next to spawn zones; you can imagine how that would be problematic.

Acidote

Seth Balmore said:
Apparently Epic increased spawn protection from 2 seconds to 6. Can anyone check?

Yesterday half of the other team spawned all around me. Spawn protection saved them from me, but not me from them.

sajj316

MarshMellow96 said:
Gnasher. Active reload. Guy runs at me with chainsaw. Two actives. Headshots. Close range. Chainsawed. Dead.

This was happening most of the night for me. I don't know if it was lag or host advantage or what but this happened too many times to be normal. It's like a damn tornado that sucks you in. Nothing annoys me more than shooting a few rounds into someone and hearing that stupid "sponge suck" sound. Turn around and get lancered or SOS to the face.

Last night games on TDM where average for me. Changed my approach with SOS players and maintained a K/D ratio of 1.0-1.25. I did not use Retro Lancer, just the normal one. I no longer peak corners looking for an active blind fire with gnasher. It's obvious it just doesn't work. I didn't get as many kills or deaths so I wasn't too happy with the point tally at the end. This defensive approach is rather boring but I understand the need to approach it in a defensive way.

sajj316 said:
This was happening most of the night for me. I don't know if it was lag or host advantage or what but this happened too many times to be normal. It's like a damn tornado that sucks you in. Nothing annoys me more than shooting a few rounds into someone and hearing that stupid "sponge suck" sound. Turn around and get lancered or SOS to the face.

Fucker didn't even suck me in..

DMeisterJ

Banned
Full Recovery said:
Why do so many people play as that bitch locust queen.

I was asking myself this when I was playing last night. I took great pleasure in not reviving her, because she doesn't ask nicely.

Edit

Some of you guys are over level 60? o_O I'm still 17 or 18

h3ro

Would anyone like to try Beast mode tonight? (EST)

I haven't played it yet and understand that there is a skin/medal unlocked by beating it on Insane. Who's down?

HooCares

Neo Member
When you aim with the gnasher what happens re: spread and range? Are either increased or decreased?

Seems like not aiming results in more 1-shot kills than aiming.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom