• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 3 |OT| BROTHERS TO THE END

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fantasmo

Apoc87 said:
And the fact that the game resets all players loadouts. This really sucks, and hopefully it gets enough complaints to where it is patched. It is very annoying having to trade weapons at the beginning every chapter.

Anyone got a concrete explanation why they do this? Why can't I keep my loadout from the previous chapter?
Would be nice if they threw a few Arcade mode specific weapons at the beginning of the harder chapters. Either you're waiting for respawn or using mutators on Insane.

CliffyB said:
It's done so that each section is its own contained area for the leaderboards and comparison.
If that's the case, shouldn't all players be put on an even playing field? I mean, Jace and Sam always spawn with a Longshot.

Tawpgun

Wait, people who have played the previous Gears games... are complaining about Shotgun imbalance in this one? Rifles are finally powerful, are you serious?

Fantasmo

CliffyB said:
It's done so that each section is its own contained area for the leaderboards and comparison.
Great game Cliff! Loved the campaign too.

Quick q. Can we eventually get public custom unranked Horde/Beast, with Guest?

K' Dash

LosDaddie said:
I'll definitely be playing a lot of MP and Horde/Beast mode this weekend. I was planning on focusing just on the Campaign during the week.

Great, see you tonight then, same hour, right?

We should get two other people to play the campaign and then do it on insane to get the achievements
3AQmK.gif

Amir0x said:
This is incorrect and I don't even know how you've begin to make that argument.

This is the first Gears game I've ever played where almost every round every kill came from shotgun; even the first didn't achieve that feat.

The shotgun balance is absurd, sorry. Shitty players must use it to cover their shitty skills, and all most follow their shittiness to stand ground

This must be your first gears then.

This game is going to make Epic a lot of money. Not just from disc sales but really from all the DLC content I already see being purchased when in MP modes and playing with friends. It's crazy to come across the number of people who bought skins and season passes already. These are the numbers that don't show up in NPD.

I'm likely going to buy the season pass also. Initially, I was going to play Gears 3 for a month or two and then trade it in. However, the MP is so smooth and seemingly balanced that i can't stop playing it. This is in addition to the plethora of content available, all of which is well done (campaign/horde/beats/arcade). With BF3 as my only other shooter and being vastly different, I see myself playing Gears 3 for a long time. Nice work Clifford and team. I think you converted a lot of people in your favor. Now please just make sure that the DLC is as impressive as the boxed product.

sajj316

CliffyB said:

Thanks for posting.

I'm sure all the brothas from different mothas on GAF will agree that you must have Canals and Mansion as retro maps.

I did the most stupidest thing last night.

So I was tearing it up with randoms, MVP each match for 11 matches. Going 24-3, 16-2, 14-0, ect. Literally carried my team more than half of the time. Finally we're on Overpass, or whatever the fuck that map is where you win if you control the top. It's tied 1-1 and the kids on my team were like 7-8, 2-10, etc...just real bad. Enemy team controls the top and I somehow rambo my way up there and take out 3 with my hammy and lancer. Eventually its 3 vs me and since I have the high ground I take out 2 with the lancer and its 1v1. I down him with the lancer as he fails to SOS me and, being the complete retard I am, went to quickly get the Scorcher to execute him.

...I forgot you can revive yourself in TDM. Needless to say I met a SOS to my face that scared the shit out of me. -_- lmao

Ramirez

Anyone else hate the spawn protection? I wouldn't have a problem with it, but the game just loves spawning people 5 feet from you, such an awesome feeling to get killed while all you hear is beeping.

In KOTH, I can't count the number of times when the hill is at Frags on Checkout, and it will spawn the other team repeatedly in the Mulcher area.

I love doing 10k+ points in KOTH, haha.

I'm gonna try fixing my headset so we can comment on how noobish are the SOS whores, PXG. I'll scream some spanish bullshit synonyms from time to time though :'D

BTW we can play some TDM too some time if you want.

LowParry

Risk Breaker said:
I love doing 10k+ points in KOTH, haha.

I'm gonna try fixing my headset so we can comment on how noobish are the SOS whores, PXG. I'll scream some spanish bullshit synonyms from time to time though :'D

BTW we can play some TDM too some time if you want.

It wasn't that bad to begin with though over time, people started rolling out the SOS guns. Meh. KOTH is pretty fun and was fun to play with some GAFers. Too bad I just started charging my headset. Maybe next time :D

And the Griff lines are the best in the game. Best thing out of Gears 3 MP.

CcrooK said:
It wasn't that bad to begin with though over time, people started rolling out the SOS guns. Meh. KOTH is pretty fun and was fun to play with some GAFers. Too bad I just started charging my headset. Maybe next time :D

And the Griff lines are the best in the game. Best thing out of Gears 3 MP.

Yeah :p Imma kill you with this shit right here muthafucka!

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
Routinely finish TDM games with much more downs than kills (kill 'steals' usually). Last game, for example, 10 kills 17 downs. Doesn't really bother me.

I try not to steal peoples kills, but I did once today. The guy was seriously cussing at me for the entire game. One kill. LOL

backflip10019 said:
Is there any benefit to purchasing the season pass now as opposed to right before the first DLC is released in November?
Not really... as far as I know Season Pass isn't going away, you'll be able to purchase it even after the first DLC hits the store.

Ramirez said:
Anyone else hate the spawn protection? I wouldn't have a problem with it, but the game just loves spawning people 5 feet from you, such an awesome feeling to get killed while all you hear is beeping.

In KOTH, I can't count the number of times when the hill is at Frags on Checkout, and it will spawn the other team repeatedly in the Mulcher area.
It seems like it lasts an inconsistently long time sometimes too. I shot a guy who was running out of the main exit of the spawn on Thrashball and for a full two seconds after he was out he still had spawn protection. Does it really last that long?

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
sajj316 said:
Thanks for posting.

I'm sure all the brothas from different mothas on GAF will agree that you must have Canals and Mansion as retro maps.
Yeah. Those two are the definitive Gears maps to me.

Gridlock, on the other hand, I've always kinda hated, don't understand why that map gets all the love it does.
backflip10019 said:
Is there any benefit to purchasing the season pass now as opposed to right before the first DLC is released in November?
Liquid metal weapon skins should unlock right away when you buy it, I've seen a few people rolling around with 'em. Otherwise, nah.

Seth Balmore said:
Not really... as far as I know Season Pass isn't going away, you'll be able to purchase it even after the first DLC hits the store.
Yeah, that's what I was thinking of doing. Just dropped $60 on the game and another $40 on a year of live. Don't really need to spend another $30 right now. Though I'll probably be spending even more in November with all the games coming out, so now actually might be better.

And yeah I guess liquid metal skins would be cool. Maybe I'll splurge.

REV 09

MarshMellow96 said:
You do realise that was purely, facetious, right? I actually do pretty decent each game/round. I've played enough Gears to know what's bullshit and what amounts to me screwing up. I'm fine with that.

I swear, Gears fans give fighting game fans a run for their money with the 'stay free/get better noob' bullshit. Your favourite game in the whole wide world can have flaws, you know.
sarcasm and text do not mix, so no, calling Gears 3 mp a "beta" was and is bullshit. i can't see your stats, and i don't know how long you've played. Calling it a beta would make me question those things though. if you want your comments not be taken seriously then you should somehow specify that.

Gears 3 mp is one of the most polished 360 mp experiences out of the gate that i've found. I personally don't think that there are many issues with it...at all. Some people are just better, some groups work and move as a "team", and sometimes you're getting shot with actives that you don't realize, so there are plenty of variables that could come into play that seem like "bullshit". The game is good.

Jrmint

So I couldn't find this in the OP.

I've been thinking of getting the LE Controller since the stick on my black one is sticking. Is there any weapon skins or characters that come with the controller?

Jrmint said:
So I couldn't find this in the OP.

I've been thinking of getting the LE Controller since the stick on my black one is sticking. Is there any weapon skins or characters that come with the controller?
Infected Omen weapon skin set. It used to unlock Adam Fenix too, but it was a mistake and was fixed some time ago.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Plasmid said:
Why does no one want a process remake? It was such a great map :((.
Haha, I was actually going to add a line in my post about really digging Process. Yeah, I'd love to see that one come back.

Jrmint

Seth Balmore said:
Infected Omen weapon skin set. It used to unlock Adam Fenix too, but it was a mistake and was fixed some time ago.
Oh badass! I love that skin! Will get.

Thanks for the quick reply.

2th

Banned
Shig said:
Haha, I was actually going to add a line in my post about really digging Process. Yeah, I'd love to see that one come back.

there are lines on the disc about it. it was found like the day the retail disc leaked.

REV 09

Ramirez said:

Listen for "Enemy Reinforcements". When the announcer says that then the spawns have swapped, which means that your enemy is spawning where you just spawned. Normally isn't a problem, but they can spawn on top of you if you're camping your own spawn, and your teammates are in theirs.

Fantasmo

God. Game companies need to test shit before release. Hanging by a thread is impossible on Insane. Drudge throws a Lava ball immediately.

Don't tie your fucking achievements without playtesting. I bet they played it once on 4 player mode and called it a day.

CHECK YOUR WORK DEVS.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
junkster said:
God. Game companies need to test shit before release. Hanging by a thread is impossible on Insane. Drudge throws a Lava ball immediately.

Don't tie your fucking achievements without playtesting. I bet they played it once on 4 player mode and called it a day.

CHECK YOUR WORK DEVS.
Yes holy fuck was that annoying. You pretty much have milliseconds to react. Was stuck there for like half an hour.

Once you figure it out, it's not so bad, but its just bullshit as a whole encounter because if you don't guess right it's instagib. :/

pr0cs

Jrmint said:
Oh badass! I love that skin! Will get.

Thanks for the quick reply.
I bought one, I've been using the OG controller (yes, the controller from my launch 360) and the new one is so much better, it's only slightly lighter (feels this way anyway) but the DPad is all kinds of awesome. The controller surface is more smooth but that doesn't have much impact on handling the device, just different.

AcciDante

junkster said:

CHECK YOUR WORK DEVS.
Just wait until you get to the end of it. My friend and I have been unable to finish it for 2 days. It is seriously one of the worst designed battles I have ever played.

REV 09 said:
sarcasm and text do not mix, so no, calling Gears 3 mp a "beta" was and is bullshit. i can't see your stats, and i don't know how long you've played. Calling it a beta would make me question those things though. if you want your comments not be taken seriously then you should somehow specify that.

Gears 3 mp is one of the most polished 360 mp experiences out of the gate that i've found. I personally don't think that there are many issues with it...at all. Some people are just better, some groups work and move as a "team", and sometimes you're getting shot with actives that you don't realize, so there are plenty of variables that could come into play that seem like "bullshit". The game is good.

Fair enough, just finding the good deal of p2p irritating.

Oh, 'out of the gate' (i.e. the first few days) it was great; in the last few it seems to have hit a few server problems or something. So many migrations and host shottys. Playing Wingman you can just tell who you have to avoid. Nothing has changed in my connection since launch, either. I don't mind losing or getting killed, that's absolutely fine - hell, if a team is playing well together that's great, and I'll happy send them a gg or something afterwards. It's the 1v1 game that irritates me - the 'shoot a guy 4 times, get downed in one' gameplay situations (irrespective of active reloads as I'm also using them) that are exacerbating as I really can't do anything about them. Try unloading two active reloaded Gnasher shots into a guy at close range while he's running at you with his chainsaw and losing - it fucking sucks and it's not because I'm 'not good enough' or anything like that.

The sad thing is, at the end of the day, I think the game is actually pretty fucking awesome. It's just that after 5 years or so of it, the 'bullshit' side of it getting pretty tiring. It's just a shame - the gameplay is so good but it can be absolutely unplayable at times. I can't believe I'm saying this, but, I actually miss having a physical representation of lag a la Gears of War 1. You know, when you'd fire the Gnasher and you could time when you would have to shoot to connect if it was laggy? At least that way you combat it, rather than just standing there with a red screen, totally nonplussed.

I'm going to stick with it because it's not even a week old, but there will definitely be a time where I'll just end the whole love/hate thing. It's just not worth it.

Ballistik

They need to fix that spawn protection in Koth!!!

6 seconds is TOOOO much for that playlist.

Practically in the circle and still hear the noise. Especially an issue on Drydock where they can spawn directly across the circle.

2th

Banned
Majanew said:
Any word yet on how this game did in the first 24 hours and where the sales are a week later?

i thought i read somewhere that they had 3 million sold. or near that amount.

i cannot remember where i read that or if it was reliable. sorry :(

LosDaddie

Banned
K' Dash said:
Great, see you tonight then, same hour, right?

Yup!

K' Dash said:
We should get two other people to play the campaign and then do it on insane to get the achievements
3AQmK.gif

I'll make a post here about 15min or so before we start tonight. Hopefully we can get 1 or 2 more GAFers to join. And yes, I'll want to play the campaign again on Insane...have to do an Insane run :p

CliffyB

Playah
Ballistik said:
They need to fix that spawn protection in Koth!!!

6 seconds is TOOOO much for that playlist.

Practically in the circle and still hear the noise. Especially an issue on Drydock where they can spawn directly across the circle.

Proper update is being propped for this, minor bump, should be everywhere soon. Back to regular times for KOTH, longer for TDM. (where spawn camping is a bigger issue)

Whoever handles the Gears gamer profiles should accept my request on number three. Says it hasn't been logged in to since the 21st. I'm going to suck since I haven't gotten to play really. Need some good people to prop myself up on. Thanks.

LowParry

CliffyB said:
Proper update is being propped for this, minor bump, should be everywhere soon. Back to regular times for KOTH, longer for TDM. (where spawn camping is a bigger issue)

You still got some SOS tweaking to do mister.

MjFrancis

LosDaddie said:
I'll make a post here about 15min or so before we start tonight. Hopefully we can get 1 or 2 more GAFers to join. And yes, I'll want to play the campaign again on Insane...have to do an Insane run :p
I'll try to get on tonight! I'm splitting wood this afternoon, so showing up at 6:00pm PST depends on how fast I get those rounds squared away. Yesterday I was swamped. Today I'm more hopeful.

TRios Zen

CliffyB said:

This game is fantastic, can't be said enough. I will spend many, many hours playing this game, my honest thanks to you and your team. <- Truth

NOW that I've buttered you up though
send a brother a Mech Baird code? Please!?

When you've got nothing left - beg. HAHA

Ballistik

CliffyB said:
Playing right now, yep it's fixed.

Plasmid

CliffyB said:

Every time i go to the epic forums it just makes me sad how much people complain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom