• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 3 |OT| BROTHERS TO THE END

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robot Pants

junkster said:
God. Game companies need to test shit before release. Hanging by a thread is impossible on Insane. Drudge throws a Lava ball immediately.

Don't tie your fucking achievements without playtesting. I bet they played it once on 4 player mode and called it a day.

CHECK YOUR WORK DEVS.

Yea that one is terrible. I had to rapidly tap A until I got into a roadie run and run as far to the right as I possibly could, then hope and pray to God i didn't get hit by the fireball. Then also pray for my CPU teammates to do something (lol fat chance).
There are SO many encounters on Insane that are just horribly designed. I posted it earlier in this thread, but when you are highjacking the barge on top of the tower is so infuriating. Random missiles that kill you in one shot and no real strategy to avoid them. Even if you keep the canopy and the barge between you, the splash damage still can get through. Just have to keep trying and get lucky.
There are a few throughout the game just as bad.
I just hit Act 5 - 3 and I'm REALLY not looking forward to the final boss fight.

bumpkin

enzo_gt said:
Yes holy fuck was that annoying. You pretty much have milliseconds to react. Was stuck there for like half an hour.

Once you figure it out, it's not so bad, but its just bullshit as a whole encounter because if you don't guess right it's instagib. :/
I'm not sure I remember which part you guys are talking about, but me and my buddy were stuck for two hours on the part where you're at the top of a tower holding off enemies while a gas barge is circling and taking rocket pot-shots all the while. It was damn infuriating!

CitizenCope said:
In Horde whats the trick to beating the armored Berzerkers?
You're talking about the regular Berserkers, not the Lambent ones, right?

If so, use the Scorcher. It stuns them continuously, you just have to worry about dodging her charges from time to time.

EDIT: Annnnnd ninja'd again thanks to my penchant for long responses.

Lothars

Darklord said:
I still haven't seen why people hate it so much. Most people use the gnasher anyway.
It's because it counters the gnasher so by some people it's not liked but I don't have an issue with it and think it's fine the way it is even though I use the gnasher more.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
snack said:
The problem with the SOS is it has too much range.

and the fact it doesn't matter if you're stood right in front of it or way off to the side.

If you're in its way you're dead. It's like a solid wall of death.

Volimar

_dementia said:
Is it possible to score headshots with the Boomshot? I could have sworn a friend of mine managed this in Horde.

I may be mistaken, but I think I did get one in horde....against a boomer of all things. I'll keep an eye out.

Darklord

Banned
D4Danger said:
Did you put Gears 2 in by mistake?

Nope. Been playing it since launch and like 8/10 use the gnasher and the people who do use the SOS I beat easily. Dodgy, they fire, you jump towards them while they reload, dead.

Helveck

Neo Member
I'm pretty sure I'm near the end of the game... So far it's been a pretty awesome ride. But why is everyone bitching about skins? Over at B.net, it seems to be all the rage... I had to explain to people that ten years ago when you bought a game like Halo: CE, you got a Campaign, a Multiplayer experience, and the ability to change some colors of your player models for Multiplayer, and you paid sixty bucks.

Now, here we are with the same sort of experience set up for the same price... But just because they have to pay a bit extra for things that are outside the realm of what is "needed" in a core gaming experience, that makes Epic bad? I'm all for DLC, but I just don't want to see companies go nuts with it... But this isn't anything "bad". I wouldn't think at least. Well, mind you I think 320 MS points or something to that price for a skin is a tad overpriced. Maybe if they were around 80 MS points, I'd be sold. ;)

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
Helveck said:
I'm pretty sure I'm near the end of the game... So far it's been a pretty awesome ride. But why is everyone bitching about skins? Over at B.net, it seems to be all the rage... I had to explain to people that ten years ago when you bought a game like Halo: CE, you got a Campaign, a Multiplayer experience, and the ability to change some colors of your player models for Multiplayer, and you paid sixty bucks.

Now, here we are with the same sort of experience set up for the same price... But just because they have to pay a bit extra for things that are outside the realm of what is "needed" in a core gaming experience, that makes Epic bad? I'm all for DLC, but I just don't want to see companies go nuts with it... But this isn't anything "bad". I wouldn't think at least. Well, mind you I think 320 MS points or something to that price for a skin is a tad overpriced. Maybe if they were around 80 MS points, I'd be sold. ;)
The first map pack DLC is for maps already on the disc. That's fucking bullshit. All the skins are already on the disc. Also bullshit, but I don't really care. It's the maps that is fucking ridiculous.(As far as I know they are charging for them)

pr0cs

K2Valor said:
The first map pack DLC is for maps already on the disc. That's fucking bullshit. All the skins are already on the disc. Also bullshit, but I don't really care. It's the maps that is fucking ridiculous.(As far as I know they are charging for them)
complaining about price is one thing.
Feeling better about having to download them is silly (as opposed to saving me from doing that by putting them on the disc).

K2Valor said:
skins and characters need to be on the disc so that everybody (those who didn't buy the skins/characters too) can see them during gameplay.
maps are a different story though...

LosDaddie

Banned
MjFrancis said:
I'll try to get on tonight! I'm splitting wood this afternoon, so showing up at 6:00pm PST depends on how fast I get those rounds squared away. Yesterday I was swamped. Today I'm more hopeful.

Cool, man. Hope you can join us.

Garryk

Why does Newegg's free shipping suck now? I ordered Gears last week to get the $20 GC so I could get the Triple Pack for free, but I'm still waiting. I live 5 hours away from a Newegg warehouse but not all of the warehouses support Egg Saver shipping so it shipped from the other side of the country..... :(

Fantasmo

Robot Pants said:
Yea that one is terrible. I had to rapidly tap A until I got into a roadie run and run as far to the right as I possibly could, then hope and pray to God i didn't get hit by the fireball. Then also pray for my CPU teammates to do something (lol fat chance).
There are SO many encounters on Insane that are just horribly designed. I posted it earlier in this thread, but when you are highjacking the barge on top of the tower is so infuriating. Random missiles that kill you in one shot and no real strategy to avoid them. Even if you keep the canopy and the barge between you, the splash damage still can get through. Just have to keep trying and get lucky.
There are a few throughout the game just as bad.
I just hit Act 5 - 3 and I'm REALLY not looking forward to the final boss fight.
If any of you that quoted me want teammates or need help for it add me FantasticBuns. I have super reload.

Plasmid

Going through some of the achievements today, already got
respect for the dead

Need a wild ticker kill and a mauler kill for the beast one.

Kusagari

i nerini del buio said:
skins and characters need to be on the disc so that everybody (those who didn't buy the skins/characters too) can see them during gameplay.

No they don't? Epic could just make everyone have to download a free update to see them like Capcom did with SF.

_dementia said:
Is it possible to score headshots with the Boomshot? I could have sworn a friend of mine managed this in Horde.
I got headshotted by a boom lol..Also in gears 2 I got headshotted by the train in Tyro Station..

ant_

i nerini del buio said:
I'm sorry but any attempt to justify the amount of DLC Gears 3 has on launch is ridiculous, I do not care if it's a skin or a map. There is supporting your community, and then there is using your community as a cash grab. Of course, all this being said, I bought some skins. Doesn't make the practice any less ridiculous.

Apoc87

Banned
bumpkin said:
the part where you're at the top of a tower holding off enemies while a gas barge is circling and taking rocket pot-shots all the while.

Even on hardcore, i had a hell of a lot of trouble with this part. Anyone know a sweet spot to where the rockets wont hit you?

K' Dash

Seth Balmore said:
Thank you based Cliff. Now how's about either making the SOS ineffective beyond melee range OR fixing the weapon's description? :p

I have to say that I'm mainly playing Co-op Campaign and horde because of this bitching about the SOS, I don't want to be put off the game for this, until the gun is fixed, no competitive for me.

JambiBum

K2Valor said:
I'm sorry but any attempt to justify the amount of DLC Gears 3 has on launch is ridiculous, I do not care if it's a skin or a map. There is supporting your community, and then there is using your community as a cash grab. Of course, all this being said, I bought some skins. Doesn't make the practice any less ridiculous.
Complains about skins and maps. Buys skins anyway.

Lothars

K' Dash said:
I have to say that I'm mainly playing Co-op Campaign and horde because of this bitching about the SOS, I don't want to be put off the game for this, until the gun is fixed, no competitive for me.
Have you played competitive at all or are you just listening to the bitching and haven't tried it? If you haven't played than I think your missing out because the bitching about the SOS should be taken with a grain of salt.

K2Valor said:

Company makes thing with value. sells that thing. finds way to extract more value from that product. sells that thing as well.

as long as people buy the things they are selling, CAPITALISM, BABY!

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
This is the first time I have played horde mode in GoW, oh my god I'm hooked. I've only played twice, I think the highest I got was to wave 44 or 45 with a random group before people left. Is there a certain strategy that works best with the base building? Is it better to beef up one location or get several locations? Are decoys worth it? Whats the key to success on these.

tsigo

K2Valor said:

You sent them a message, and that message was "Please sell me more overpriced crap! I might be complain but I'll still give you money." Well done.

ant_

tsigo said:
You sent them a message, and that message was "Please sell me more overpriced crap! I might be complain but I'll still give you money." Well done.
I acknowledge the stupidity of my skin purchase, just so you know

K' Dash

Lothars said:
Have you played competitive at all or are you just listening to the bitching and haven't tried it? If you haven't played than I think your missing out because the bitching about the SOS should be taken with a grain of salt.

I'll play some competitive later tonight, but hearing 4 out of 5 carry a SOS isn't very enticing.

JambiBum

Mattdaddy said:
This is the first time I have played horde mode in GoW, oh my god I'm hooked. I've only played twice, I think the highest I got was to wave 44 or 45 with a random group before people left. Is there a certain strategy that works best with the base building? Is it better to beef up one location or get several locations? Are decoys worth it? Whats the key to success on these.
That depends on the map. The smaller maps are better for using multiple command posts because they are more condensed and more accessible. The decoys are worth it because they eventually allow you to buy sentry guns which are necessary to survive at the higher difficulties.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
K2Valor said:

"Why would I grind my muddy shoes in Eddie's couch, you'd think I'd have a little more sense than that."

"yeah I remember grinding my shoes in his couch."

I'm happy with all the free ones I unlocked, plus the Infected Omen skins I traded for.

JambiBum said:
That depends on the map. The smaller maps are better for using multiple command posts because they are more condensed and more accessible. The decoys are worth it because they eventually allow you to buy sentry guns which are necessary to survive at the higher difficulties.
Are the sentries that effective, Jambi? I've only played a few (albeit very long) sessions of horde 2.0 and I am close to writing off the sentries. Their damage output seems really low and they don't appear to help out much. Am I missing something?

K' Dash said:
I'll play some competitive later tonight, but hearing 4 out of 5 carry a SOS isn't very enticing.
To be fair it's a matter of luck. You can just as easily get pitted against an all SOS team as an all Gnasher team. In most games there's a healthy balance between the two... most of them.

And again to be fair, the SOS is only really a problem when you run into one of those organized all SOS teams. A couple players abusing the SOS is no big deal, but if matchmaking doesn't treat you well, at the end of the day you'll be swearing a blue streak every time you get killed by it. Nobody likes suffering cheap death after cheap death.

Volimar

Anyone else just basically use the barriers to let you know where enemies are? "Oh, that barrier is being damaged, let's go take a look"

Also, they get tore up too easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom