• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 3 |OT| BROTHERS TO THE END

Status
Not open for further replies.
Volimar said:
Anyone else just basically use the barriers to let you know where enemies are? "Oh, that barrier is being damaged, let's go take a look"

Also, they get tore up too easy.
Yeah, I never really got the point of barriers. I guess it's just to slow enemies down. They don't really hurt upper level enemies.

Vire

There's a pretty simple solution to the whole Sawed Off nonsense.

Personally, I don't mind it all that much - but for the people that do, just make a separate TDM playlist with no Sawed off. Problem solved...

Then everyone is happy and no one can bitch anymore. GAME OF THE FOREVER CONFIRMED.

Quick question: (I'm sure its just so obvious that I can't see it)

In Act IV Chapter: Hang em High, how do you cut the safety cable?

Vire

Steelyuhas said:

It's okay, I was confused at that part also! Head across the transport to the barbed wire on the other side. It's on the same floor.

ShaneB

Steelyuhas said:

You ask how to cut it, now where it is... if that's the case, you use your lancer chainsaw.

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
That creepy ass
centipede
gives me the most grief on Horde mode. I roll away from it strait into a sprint, create distance, cut left, cut right, roll to cover, pan the camera around real fast and OMFG it's standing directly behind me. Like fucking Jason Vorhees or something.

And another noob question. The
armored boss that charges you... berserker I think...
is the flame thrower the only thing that hurts it? I played a match the other night where everyone was dead except one guy, and I watched him attack this thing for probably 15 minutes with all kinds of guns before finally everyone just started started leaving.

K' Dash

Mattdaddy said:
That creepy ass
centipede
gives me the most grief on Horde mode. I roll away from it strait into a sprint, create distance, cut left, cut right, roll to cover, pan the camera around real fast and OMFG it's standing directly behind me. Like fucking Jason Vorhees or something.

Teamwork dude, you make the bait, someone else get the fucker from behind as he follows you.

Seth Balmore said:
A couple players abusing the SOS is no big deal, but if matchmaking doesn't treat you well, at the end of the day you'll be swearing a blue streak every time you get killed by it. Nobody likes suffering cheap death after cheap death.

Yeah, that's what I'm trying to avoid, I'll be doing some competitive tonight and see how it goes.

Volimar

backflip10019 said:
Yeah, I never really got the point of barriers. I guess it's just to slow enemies down. They don't really hurt upper level enemies.

Yeah, I don't even bother repairing/buying barriers at the start of wave 10 because whatever the boss is will just piss all over them. Especially zerkers. Your fortifications are a zerker's bitch.

Grisby

Mattdaddy said:
is the flame thrower the only thing that hurts it? I played a match the other night where everyone was dead except one guy, and I watched him attack this thing for probably 15 minutes with all kinds of guns before finally everyone just started started leaving.

No, its just damn hard. You gotta shoot it
in the chest when its glowy.

Draft

Mattdaddy said:
That Horde boss is very annoying. What is the trick to killing them? At least with the Lambent Berserker the single player explains clearly how they should be defeated. The only thing I remember about Berserker's is old Gears SP and they were invulnerable to everything except the HoD.

The only thing I've seen hurt the Berserker is close up shotgun blasts. There's got to be a better way.

BobDylan

No more classes for the rest of the week which means gears on gears on gears. Played 2 ranked tdm games like the second day and sucked ass. Hopefully now after playing a little more ill be able to perform.

B1gg_Randall said:
I got headshotted by a boom lol..Also in gears 2 I got headshotted by the train in Tyro Station..

Yup, headshots from the boom and possibly others we haven't seen yet. I also remember getting a headshot with nades in gears2, we can probably get them in gear3 too.

LowParry

Bolt pistol (revolver) > Sniper

I forgot how powerful this pistol can be with active shots. And getting the head shot is delicious.

Volimar

Draft said:
That Horde boss is very annoying. What is the trick to killing them? At least with the Lambent Berserker the single player explains clearly how they should be defeated. The only thing I remember about Berserker's is old Gears SP and they were invulnerable to everything except the HoD.

The only thing I've seen hurt the Berserker is close up shotgun blasts. There's got to be a better way.

Since this isn't the spoiler thread, I'll use tags. Now, I'm not an incredible player, but here's what I did.

I was playing on thrashball, so it was easy to do this, your mileage may vary. As soon as we saw it was a zerker or lambent zerker, my brother and I would just go along the outskirts of the map, killing everything and avoiding the zerker(s). Once we had everything else killed (not easy in its own right) we'd turn our attention to the zerkers. My brother would pick up a mulcher from a dead grinder, and I'd scorch the zerker and he'd lay into them with the mulcher from behind cover. When one of us ran out of ammo, we'd take off, get what we need and set up somewhere and repeat. Lambents are harder in a lot of ways. We only beat one once.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
bumpkin said:
I'm not sure I remember which part you guys are talking about, but me and my buddy were stuck for two hours on the part where you're at the top of a tower holding off enemies while a gas barge is circling and taking rocket pot-shots all the while. It was damn infuriating!
When you get off of the zipline in Act 1 and a Gunker is there and you have approximately a second to move to the correct place or else your fucked and instakilled.

Apoc87 said:
Even on hardcore, i had a hell of a lot of trouble with this part. Anyone know a sweet spot to where the rockets wont hit you?
You have to keep moving. Move around the perimeter cover slowly, staying at or slightly behind the middle of the
Barge
as it circles around your position. Alternatively, one of the best spots to stay is behind the 4 little circular reels, the rockets don't seem to aim there effectively. The trick is you need to keep moving.

Here's a pro-tip: take out your grenades and attach them (using B) to the ground where the enemies will zip down at. They will always zip down at the same two locations on opposite sides of the circular area you are in. When going up the
elevator
look at the handle. When you get up, place a grenade in the location in the direction of the handle where they will drop and then another on the opposite side. Those are the two places they will come down from. If you have incendiary grenades it will potentially even burn them to their death before they even get down.

I had problems there, but only on insane really.

DR3AM

Dreams of a world where inflated review scores save studios
Vire said:
There's a pretty simple solution to the whole Sawed Off nonsense.

Personally, I don't mind it all that much - but for the people that do, just make a separate TDM playlist with no Sawed off. Problem solved...

Then everyone is happy and no one can bitch anymore. GAME OF THE FOREVER CONFIRMED.

they wont do that.

razu

Totally feeling Gears 3 now.

Felt the campaign was too long after first play through on Hardcore. Restarted on Insane...

Felt the MP was just off. Had first round where I took out 4 out of 5 in Warzone with the Gnasher...

Didn't really even have a problem with the SOS, but when dead today, watched someone take the piss out of a SOS handler, using Hammerburst...

Playing Gears 3 is all I want to do. And as much as the campaign isn't perfect, it is the closest I've come to playing an action movie, (or "film", as I'd say, being all English and things).

I don't know if this is the end of Gears or not, but whatever they make next, I want one. They're in the Street Fighter, Mario, Gran Turismo, Metal Gear and ICO Team auto-purchase club for sure.

JambiBum

LeonSKennedy90 said:
I never got my ass kicked like that before

God DAMN
That was pretty bad. I kind of assumed that would happen when they all picked checkout. That map is always a blowout no matter what the game type is.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
Adam Blade said:
So, I have a little over 400 CTL matches already...

360 on autopilot for almost a day. I hate these things taking forever to unlock.
... you are just joining matches and idling the whole time?

K2Valor said:
... you are just joining matches and idling the whole time?

Not quite.

I just set up a private match of CTL, setting time to capture as 10, and adding a few bots.

Then. I let my 360 idle and let the game play itself. Heck, I even leveled up 3 levels in the past day without lifting a finger to touch the controller.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
Adam Blade said:
Not quite.

I just set up a private match of CTL, setting time to capture as 10, and adding a few bots.

Then. I let my 360 idle and let the game play itself. Heck, I even leveled up 3 levels in the past day without lifting a finger to touch the controller.
Gotcha. I was thinking real people were suffering.

Kydd BlaZe

After recently finishing Gears 3's campaign, I still think that Gears 2 is the best in the series. I thought the writing and voice acting in Gears 3 was painfully bad (not that it was ever any good in the previous iterations, but I found myself cringing after nearly every line of dialogue in Gears 3). Gears 2 also has a tighter narrative and was paced much better imo.

With that said though, I still had a blast with Gears 3's campaign, and I truly hope to see a Gears of War 4 appear on the next round of consoles.

FStop7

Banned
More Horde fun...

Got to the mid 20's before everyone on my team quit except for one guy. We were on Overpass - I was on the turret in the center of the overpass and he was roving in the Silverback. We were doing really well. Then we drew a lambent Berserker on wave 30 and everything went to shit. I hit it with the Hammer of Dawn 3 times and it didn't do crap other than make the berserker angrier.

Fallacy

Neo Member
FStop7 said:
More Horde fun...

Got to the mid 20's before everyone on my team quit except for one guy. We were on Overpass - I was on the turret in the center of the overpass and he was roving in the Silverback. We were doing really well. Then we drew a lambent Berserker on wave 30 and everything went to shit. I hit it with the Hammer of Dawn 3 times and it didn't do crap other than make the berserker angrier.
Yeah, I just fail lamb zerkers til it changes.

FStop7

Banned
Fallacy said:
Yeah, I just fail lamb zerkers til it changes.

I hate to abuse the word 'epic' but when they die between the burst of light from their heads and the gigantic explosion it is pretty epic.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
i hate how the last two acts of this game just contain complete bullshit of the most hard enimies being spammed at you.

bomers arent nothing like they were in the first game they had a challenge in this they are just regular monsters who arent all that, but the other stuff is just shit and i really cant see myself getting another gears game now.

Lima

That last bitch on insane. WTF is wrong with those fucking guards. I'm raging and yelling at my tv.

And before some smart ass tells me to cheat my way through with buddies that play on casual. Yeah no chance to do that in arcade mode where the host sets the difficulty for all.

That is all.

Robot Pants

Lima said:
That last bitch on insane. WTF is wrong with those fucking douche bag guards. I'm raging and yelling at my tv.

And before some smart ass tells me to cheat my way through with buddies that play on casual. Yeah no chance to do that in arcade mode where the host sets the difficulty for all.

That is all.

No the whole battle is a joke.
I need some peeps to help me finish it, because by yourself with the CPU teammates....its just not gonna happen.

Lima

Robot Pants said:
No the whole battle is a joke.
I need some peeps to help me finish it, because by yourself with the CPU teammates....its just not gonna happen.

Oh yes it does happen.

I raged enough and beat the fight just this second. Oh yeah.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Man, four-player co-op is a true battle - this is the difficulty I wanted all along Epic, good stuff.

Final battle is a little beyond insane, but everything else really puts you to the proper test - every big set piece battle is an all-out war of patience, team-work and good shooting.

Robot Pants said:
Ha. Yea, the final battle on Insane by yourself. GJ, Epic.

I did it solo myself last night in one try after me and four friends couldn't do it in co-op - we almost had it on our fourth try or something, then it all went to hell after that. Just decided it to solo it afterwards.

Lima

_dementia said:
Whoa Lima, I wasn't aware you were such a tough guy.

Yeah sorry. That comment wasn't very well thought. You know it was because of the mood I was in couple minutes ago. That boss fight seriously raped me.

Skilotonn said:
I did it solo myself last night in one try after me and four friends couldn't do it in co-op - we almost had it on our fourth try or something, then it all went to hell after that. Just decided it to solo it afterwards.

This

We tried it for almost one hour and just couldn't do it. It is SOOOO much easier with the AI because they can take more damage and really handle the guards while you can just kill the tempest.

Robot Pants

Lima said:
Yeah sorry. That comment wasn't very well thought. You know it was because of the mood I was in couple minutes ago. That boss fight seriously raped me.

This

We tried it for almost one hour and just couldn't do it. It is SOOOO much easier with the AI because they can take more damage and really handle the guards while you can just kill the tempest.

On my game, they aren't killing anything. They don't shoot the guards or the screechers. I spot em, but they don't do anything. I'm getting hammerbursted down from across the map.

CliffyB said:
Proper update is being propped for this, minor bump, should be everywhere soon. Back to regular times for KOTH, longer for TDM. (where spawn camping is a bigger issue)
Is the flawed map rotation something you can fix on the server side, or do you have to roll out a TU for that?

Neki

I just don't like the last battle
because it basically throws out everything you've lived through the first four acts of the game. Constant spawn of enemies on the ground and the air, you're basically forced to use the Lancer to bring the Tempest down because of the constantly spawning ammo doesn't refill my Torque Bow, and short range weapons are ineffective against her. And cover is almost nigh useless when there is so many spawning enemies from all sides and from the sky. It's a frustrating experience. Though challenging, it seemed way too unfair at times. The only reason I could get through it was because I was playing with my brother, and because the AI is much tougher then you, basically allowing you infinite lives to do it as long as you fight near them. I basically had to ignore the enemies, hoping my team mates would revive me to get her off the tower.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom