• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 3 |OT| BROTHERS TO THE END

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheExodu5

Banned
perineumlick said:
Maybe you need to adjust some settings? Turn sharpness down to 0 for instance? High sharpness settings can amplify jaggies sometimes.
Otherwise, no, I don't agree about the graphics. The lighting is godly at times.

My TV is properly calibrated. There's nothing to be done about the fact that this is a 720p game with no anti-aliasing. I sit about 2.5' away from a 32" 1080p screen, which makes the issue quite obvious.

leng jai said:
Theres your problem. Act 1 is pretty underwhelming and quite brown. Its not indicative of the rest of the campaign.

Haven't you been playing multiplayer? Sandbar looks nuts.

Alright, well glad to know it gets better.

Haven't had a chance to play multiplayer...no Gold atm.

Proelite

TheExodu5 said:
Yeah, well I guess I should have prefaced that I'm still in Act 1. Played through all of Act 1 on the weekend with a friend, and forgot that my save was on his machine and had to start over tonight.

It doesn't help that the firefights have been incredibly shallow and boring so far. I don't have much drive to keep playing, though I'm sure things must improve as the game progresses.

gears-of-war-3-20110915092242233.jpg

uncharted-2-whoa-51.png

(still nasty aliasing in both)

Beat the game first before you complain about colors.

TheExodu5

Banned
Proelite said:
Beat the game first before you complain about colors.

I didn't realize that was a prerequisite.

Fine, then. Act 1 looks like shit, and is a terrible introduction to the game.

For the record, I'm being overly harsh because this title is being praised as a graphical showpiece on the 360. I'm not seeing it yet.

The lighting is the biggest improvement to the visuals IMO; Gears 2 looks flat in comparison. The motion blur and particle effects have been buffed up too. Textures are so so for the most part.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
TheExodu5 said:
http://xbox360media.ign.com/xbox360/image/article/119/1194638/gears-of-war-3-20110915092242233.jpg
[img]http://gamerpoop.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/uncharted-2-whoa-51.png

(still nasty aliasing in both)[/QUOTE]

Strong selection bias.

TheExodu5 said:
I didn't realize that was a prerequisite.

Fine, then. Act 1 looks like shit, and is a terrible introduction to the game.

For the record, I'm being overly harsh because this title is being praised as a graphical showpiece on the 360. I'm not seeing it yet.

First off, the lighting is fucking nuts. I can stand on the top area of Overpass and have my shadow cast halfway across the map onto the truck to the right of HoD/Mortar spawn. And that's in multiplayer. Ridiculous.

Second, color seems to be a big issue for you. I think act 1's muted palette is appropriate, as the act is establishing how fucked and desperate humanity is. Having everything all bright and cheery would be counter-intuitive. Also the game never looked jaggy to me while in motion...how close are you to your display?

Disagree abut the quality of act 1 as well. Thought the variety and pacing was spot-on with some nice combat bowls to mess around in. The flanks Epic incorporated into the various encounters are very fun to utilize.

I thought the mission where they are out in the desert going to hijack a balloon-raft thing was one of the best looking parts of any 360 game.
Just amazing

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
TheExodu5 said:
http://xbox360media.ign.com/xbox360/image/article/119/1194638/gears-of-war-3-20110915092242233.jpg[img]

[img]http://gamerpoop.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/uncharted-2-whoa-51.png[img]

(still nasty aliasing in both)[/QUOTE]
Way to be selective as fuck when it comes to screenshots.

Also, echoing Kajiba here, anyone have a link to a complete list of improvements/fortifications in Gears and what each upgrade does?

TheExodu5

Banned
enzo_gt said:
Way to be selective as fuck when it comes to screenshots.

Also, echoing Kajiba here, anyone have a link to a complete list of improvements/fortifications in Gears and what each upgrade does?

All the Gears 3 screens I can find are 95% brown.

Please, provide a screenshot (not a bullshot) that you think is more indicative of the visual prowess on display. I could use some motivation to keep playing.

Rimfya

Banned
Act V looks like it's straight out of Bioshock Infinite.

Hey what's the current tactic for best Horde tactic/hacks/map selection. Want to go 1-50 soon.

Kajiba

TheExodu5 said:

Please, provide a screenshot (not a bullshot) that you think is more indicative of the visual prowess on display. I could use some motivation to keep playing.

You sound like want reason not to play it anymore. Do you find the gameplay fun?

Edit: Didn't see You said the gunfights are boring. So shit I don't know what to say to keep you playing. =/

Moaradin

TheExodu5 said:

Get to Act V.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
TheExodu5 said:

Everything in Act V and Act IV. Can't find proper screenshots because they're obviously spoilerish and no one takes screens of those but in Act V
Azura
is beautiful by any measure, and not brown.

Plus Gears 3 and Uncharted 2 do indeed have the same colours and almost amount of colour on display, with Uncharted's later bits edging it out slightly. I've played through both and it's pretty close to the same palette even. If you even played through half of Act 1 you'd know Gears 3 is more colourful than it's predecessors.

Proelite

TheExodu5 said:

Maybe you can should play the game or trade the game in, or shit on the disc, instead of shitting up the thread.

snack

I have to rank Gears of War 3 as the most graphically pleasing game on the 360. No other game really comes close to it.

Seriously, why are we trying to convince him to keep playing the game? Motivate your fucking self or go back to playing colorful games like Super Mario Galaxy or something. I mean, really now.

FateBreaker said:
Act I first scenes
Act II first scenes
Act IV Scene 6
Act V Scene 1

Why do I even contribute to this? Such a stupid statement "no color wahh"
Seriously, it doesn't matter. Even after he finishes the entire game he's still going to complain about something.

vitaminwateryum

corporate swill
I can't help but feel Exodu5 is trolling. The game is fucking gorgeous. Anyone saying, "AIN'T NOTHIN' BUT BROWN AS FAR AS THE I CAN SEE, AND ON TOP OF THAT THE GAME LOOKS AWFUL" clearly already has their mind made up.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
FateBreaker said:
Act I first scenes
Act II first scenes
Act IV Scene 6
Act V Scene 1

Why do I even contribute to this? Such a stupid statement "no color wahh"
I really don't understand how you could even begin to say the game has no colour or the majority of it is brown if you played the first act. Hell, the first chapter. THE FIRST ENCOUNTER.

SPLODING YELLOW LAMBENT ERRYWHERR

Proelite

Blasting people away at close range with the gnasher feels so good. It's the equivalent of the 3 shot kill in Halo. I really want a gnasher only playlist since everything else is just the shell to the creamy inside that is gnasher cqc.

2th

Banned
So was doing some TDM with some friends... in about 4 matches in a row i died to something OTHER than the DBS less than 5 times. Christ there really needs to be something to limit usage of that gun. Honestly.

enzo_gt said:
I really don't understand how you could even begin to say the game has no colour or the majority of it is brown if you played the first act. Hell, the first chapter. THE FIRST ENCOUNTER.

SPLODING YELLOW LAMBENT ERRYWHERR

SERIOUSLY! YELLOW EVERYWHERE!

It's funny to see people complain that Gears still isn't colorful enough when I wish it was LESS colorful like Gears 1. One of the few areas where it really felt like classic Gears to me was HERE WARNING ACT 5 SPOILERS. I wanted more of that. Way too many bright locals in Gears 3 IMO.

We need more night, more rain, more grime, more Kryll, more shadows, more razorhail, etc. TOO MUCH COLOR IN MAH GEARS DAMMIT

Proelite

DM_Uselink said:
I wanted to share a drawing I just finished for a Gears of War 3 contest. Hope you guys like it.
If you want to see a larger image go here bigger
That looks awesome, although the artwork would have been better if Marcus had a SOS.

*runs*

So, I finally got into a match with some Gaffers only to have PXG leave us to join Ballistik. :( Our team ended up losing the first match, and the second match the party was split.

I hope I can get some decent games with you Gaffers in the future :lol.

clav

malfcn said:
How are servers tonight?
Very bad.

Some games are just one-sided as the host gets all the kills. In other games, sometimes a guy fires his gnasher and then my character gets killed three seconds later even though he didn't aim right on my screen.

malfcn

claviertekky said:
Very bad.

I'm thinking of selling Gears now if dedicated servers aren't in my game all the time.

Some games are just one-sided as the host gets all the kills. In other games, sometimes a guy fires his gnasher and then my character gets killed three seconds later even though he didn't aim right on my screen.

First week was awesome. This week is not looking good.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I hope they just add a message saying if the servers are up or not so I know if I should even bother. There's some Gears 2 shit when they're down, and it's UNBEARABLE with the sawn off in action.

whitehawk

Banned
FUUUUUUUUUUUUCK

I was playing an awesome awesome ranked KOTH match. My team sucked, but I was doing so well it didn't matter. second round, and I'm already at 10+ captures and 30 kills. I even started using the gnasher again and I was owning it. It was so intense because I was playing against a good team. Then all of a sudden as I'm about to respawn.

"Disconnected from XBox Live"

NOOOO. I missed my fun match, AND I'll have a ranked disconnect now :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom