• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 3 |OT| BROTHERS TO THE END

Status
Not open for further replies.
Generic said:
What is it with the servers going down? Is there a timeframe for when it happens or what?
I hear the evening is a poor time to get on, especially weekends. Playing during the daytime seems to be more consistent.

ShaneB

JambiBum said:
Also I love running people over alllll day.

This would bore to me tears. Winning all the time just gets so monotonous, isn't the real thrill when it's a close game, going right down to the very last kill, win or lose?

dmg04

#DEADWRONG
I think the biggest issue with Gears right now is the whole 'I'm going to spawn your team mates in the middle of fucking nowhere' in Arcade.

I think i've been killed 15 times [today] from being spawned in front of an enemy with an UberInsane shotgun

Lima

It really makes me sad when I look at the amount of people playing TDM and king of the fucking hill.

No love for warzone and execution guys?

Dosia

How lame. I got to wave 40 of horde and went to take a piss and when I got back it kicked me out of the game for being innactive.

ShaneB

Lima said:
It really makes me sad when I look at the amount of people playing TDM and king of the fucking hill.

I was just about to post the same thing. 50k people playing TDM vs 3k for warzone.

LosDaddie

Banned
K Dash & I are about to get some co-op Campaign going, if anybody wants to join. We will probably play that for about 1hr, then get some Horde mode going.

My GT is the same as here. Send me a message on XBL.

Dosia said:
How lame. I got to wave 40 of horde and went to take a piss and when I got back it kicked me out of the game for being innactive.

I had a similar experience. Epic needs to loosen that rule up--just a little.

LosDaddie

Banned
Lima said:

Better gametypes, IMO. Yeah, I understand those are the classic Gears gametypes, but, eh, I like the new ones more.

Lima said:

Warzone and Execution aren't modes that appeal to the masses. "One and done" is a hardcore way to play, and will continue to be for the rest of forever. Gears 3 TDM is a nice middle ground of still being TDM but adding a Gears twist to it.

dmg04

#DEADWRONG
HawksWinStanley said:
There's word on the official forums that Epic might've nerfed the sawed off's range.

Anybody notice anything?
Wouldn't there have to be a TU for that sort of thing?

Maybe people are finally adapting

Apdiddy

I tried to do Horde mode again but kept having people leaving and could get to only wave 20 before 'connection was lost.' I don't know if that's the remaining players all disconnecting or something else. It happened to me at least twice now.

I would say that there should be a Gears 3 Warzone/Execution/TDM tournament. That would be excellent.

hitmon

I still can't get into Beast mode match type. I've only gotten into one once and haven't since. Why don't they just spawn bots like in the versus mode so I can play a damn beast game?

Bossniak

Is it me or does anyone else warp randomly? Like when I am roadie running or walking I will warp forward and then back to my original spot. I am getting decent internet speeds and I don't know why this is happening cause it never happened or rarely happened in gears2.

akskiller said:
Is it me or does anyone else warp randomly? Like when I am roadie running or walking I will warp forward and then back to my original spot. I am getting decent internet speeds and I don't know why this is happening cause it never happened or rarely happened in gears2.

All the time. Which is weird because it didn't happen at in the beta. The same thing happened in gears 2 as I recall. Only time I really played that pile of marshmellow shotgun shooting game though was around launch time.

Fallacy

Neo Member
-PXG- said:
Checkout, Dry Dock, Sandbar and Gridlock. Spawn camped the teams...these maps are insanely unbalanced lol.
I wouldn't say spawn camping = imbalanced. I would say spawn camping = less forgiving.
That's not to say sandbar is balanced though.

-PXG-

HawksWinStanley said:
There's word on the official forums that Epic might've nerfed the sawed off's range.

Anybody notice anything?

I'm not getting my hopes up until I get an official statement.

Link?

bengraven

Borrowed my brother in law's Xbox since my RRoDed a couple months back and he left Gears of War 3 in the disc tray.

Now I'm confused: I loved Gears of War 1, even bought it day 1. But I got very busy with life between Gears 1 and 3, so I never got to play Gears 2. I beat Gears 1 two or three times, I really loved it, but now I have access to Gears 3 and really would like to try it.

Am I missing a lot, or should I just play?

goldensun

If you ever need someone for tdm wingman koth or horde add me. GT: g0lden 5un (the o is a zero and s is a 5) I've been on a lot lately.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
bengraven said:
Borrowed my brother in law's Xbox since my RRoDed a couple months back and he left Gears of War 3 in the disc tray.

Now I'm confused: I loved Gears of War 1, even bought it day 1. But I got very busy with life between Gears 1 and 3, so I never got to play Gears 2. I beat Gears 1 two or three times, I really loved it, but now I have access to Gears 3 and really would like to try it.

Am I missing a lot, or should I just play?

There's a decent enough recap on the menu you can watch, I'd just jump in.

Veelk

Banned
Papercuts said:
There's a decent enough recap on the menu you can watch, I'd just jump in.
This, but I think the Gears 2 campaign is good enough to warrant a play through anyway. I say go for it and play Gears 3 MP when you feel like it.

zlatko

Banned
Longest ban ever. :( Think it was just a day before release, and all I wanted to do was post in this thread. ; ;

I followed damn near every page though from release to here, and LOL @ so much of what has been being said and certain peoples epic trolling. :p

With that said, prepare for a bit of a long post on my thoughts on the current game, but first I'll link to the thoughts I wrote up during my downtime:

http://gamegambits.blogspot.com/2011/09/gears-of-war-3-review.html

I'm not the best writer, but it's basically a good sum up of the thoughts of this game in my head as an entire package for 60 bucks.

Now for everyone's favorite part: bitching. :)

*Let's start off with what I think is THE biggest thing they need to fix, and no it isn't the SOS----it's having dedicated servers up 24/7. For me after the first 48 hours of this game I haven't had more than a handful of dedi server games. It has taken a giant dump, and I called this back in the previous threads that at launch they would not have enough to support how many people would buy the game. Hell I'm even skeptical they'll add anymore and are just waiting for the casual players to go to the next big hype game.

In short: Give me dedis's 24/7, AND/OR give me a fucking news blip on the main menu telling me if the servers are up or down. I do not want to play your guessing game.

* Next of course is the SOS. I saw all the videos, I've read the ideas for tweaks, and the only one that makes any lick of sense is to tone down it's range. Why in the fuck they increased it to begin with is idiotic. Personally I don't want the gone to become shit, but at the same time I'm tired of what the gun has done to the flow of this game. I CANNOT check EVERY fucking corner all the time in a round, and the fact a Gnasher user has nothing to combat a sawed off guy who wants to run right at him is idiotic.

So here's what I'm suggesting----give Gnasher stopping power. Sure if you have a lancer/burst/retro in hand you can stop them dead in their tracks from bull smashing you, but if you are holding a gnasher, given the SOS current distance, given bull shit with dedi's down, you will lose 9/10 times trying to just back up and pop him. If Gnasher had some stopping power than a sawed off user couldn't just run at you, roll, pull trigger into a herp derp.

* Blast radius of grenades still wasn't fixed from beta. Da fuck ? I'll try to roll away when I see them launched at me, can be on the other side of a piece of cover, and I'll still blow up. Come on now...

*Overall stopping power on rifles. As is I've run into too many games where the entire other team thinks it's cute to just sit behind cover at the top of X hill with lancers/bursts and lock you from ever reaching them. On Old town if you spawn and make it to boom shot first on boom shot round, and the other team is at the top of the hill you can't rush them even with team members. Is there a way to make it so stopping power on rifles doesn't actually click until they are 10 feet or closer? I am having a shit luck time moving cover to cover towards someone and too often am forced to just throw my hands up in the air and say fuck it and run away to find a different engagement. Something is obviously off if a team with a boom shot is afraid of just a pack of guys with starting rifles...

* Spawns. Seriously? Did EPIC fall asleep during their feedback from beta? Sure you changed a few maps around so you have more than 1 way out of spawn, but you didn't fix SPAWNS. There should be 4 on a map, and not 2. It's super freaking easy now to keep locking a group into their spawn areas since you have an audio cue when they swap. Maps like checkout I have had several instances of TDM where I pop, and so do 4 of the other team right next to me. This shit is unacceptable.

* Overpass should have another way up to the top area. Sandbar too. It's FAR too easy to get up to the top and lock it down for an easy win. I've done my best on Overpass to use the mortar/hammer to flush them out/kill them, but at the end of the day it's either camp at the top or be camped on from the top. Sandbar is a cool map, but has the same issue of just taking a sniper rifle and your whole team up top so you also hold the digger/boom. The one shot seems like a good idea on paper for that map, but by the time I crank it up my head will get popped. Maybe make it a torque bow/hammer spawn if you can't change the actual design of the map to allow for another way up top.

* I saw someone else mention it, but the Digger has some problems on detonating right as it goes inches by someone. I've personally launched it into a group of 3 people(1 team mate, 2 enemies) and watched it neither harm nor kill them. Is my team mate absorbing the blow or something? It's a bit of a rare thing to occur, but it might need to be looked into.

*Check out still has the same issue it always did. There is little to incentive to go to the Mulcher side. Sure I've had my few games where I can kick some butt with it as they are coming out of their spawn(yay bad spawns), but it would be better off if this weapon was a torque.

*Snub Pistol was improved from beta, I can tell since I've gotten downs/kills with it, but the Gorgon still feels like a waste of my time to pick up. It could use a boost in DPS.

*Matchmaking is pretty on the ball and speedy with a few moments of it taking long, but I'm still baffled beyond reason what it matches me up with. It's almost always either people waaaaaaaaaay too good or waaaaaaaaaaay too shitty. I've had 2 matches that were close that stick out in my head. I'm floating around 1.9K/D and generally play with randoms or a buddy with 2.4K/D, and the matches we get are people in 1.3 and below to .4k/d. It's barely any fun when you completely wipe people who I know just aren't acclimated to the game since they won't even rush to power weapons.

*Kill stealing. Are you listening yet guys at EPIC? NO ONE LIKES HAVING THEIR WORK TAKEN AWAY FROM THEM. It does NOT encourage team work or make me feel cheery to have worked my teeth into the ground to down the last guy on their team by myself while the rest of my team couldn't take a hint with me marking him over and over and asking for help on my headset, so that when I go walking up for my execution my "team mate" shoots him from the other side of the map. This pisses me off to no end. I'm tired of having my work, my input into a team, and carrying people to a win be taken away with k/ds that look like 9/12 when I have 15+ downs thanks to little shits who can't get their own. If you want this to work like ACTUAL assists and ACTUAL team work, then give the fuck who steals my downs the assist and reward me with my kill since I put him on all fours to begin with. Stop catering to the lowest common denominator of mouth breathers online... you've already gone up and above the call of duty to appease newcomers and casuals, so can you start helping the hardcore out too thanks?

That's probably all the stuff I can think of for right now that was burning into my head. I hope some people feel the same way, and again sorry for how long the post was, but a 10+ day ban builds up a lot of feedback. ;)

SeigO

Banned
zlatko said:
I CANNOT check EVERY fucking corner all the time in a round, and the fact a Gnasher user has nothing to combat a sawed off guy who wants to run right at him is idiotic.
This. I don't think think the gun is broken or OP it's just cheap as hell and annoying. I'd rather counter it directly with my own SOS, rather than getting 1 shotted after 3 of my gnasher shots fail to down the guy charging me with his SOS out.

Edited for PC approval.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Good post, zlakto. I agree with pretty much all of it, ESPECIALLY the first point. I was getting a lot of laggy games so I just stopped playing for a few hours, the game is so damn good when the servers are up that I refuse to play it in shittier conditions. I actually caved in and bought RE4 HD to hold myself over to not keep playing laggy games and raging.

cool_dude_2049 said:
I know how to play Capture the Leader. Stop showing me that stupid message when I am the leader.

I think they do that so even the shittiest leaders are intentionally stopped and are running behind their team.

zlatko

Banned
SeigO said:
This. I don't think think the gun is broken or OP it's just gay as hell and annoying. I'd rather counter the gayness with my own SOS, rather than getting 1 shotted after 3 of my gnasher shots fail to down the guy charging me with his SOS out.

:/ I hope you enjoyed your stay at GAF.

SeigO said:
This. I don't think think the gun is broken or OP it's just gay as hell and annoying. I'd rather counter the gayness with my own SOS, rather than getting 1 shotted after 3 of my gnasher shots fail to down the guy charging me with his SOS out.
I didn't know guns could have sexual preferences.
Edit: But for real, fuck kill stealing. If you down someone, they should be immune to anyone but you, unless you die before you can kill them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom