• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 3 |OT| BROTHERS TO THE END

Status
Not open for further replies.

D23

why am i having a hard time joining any game? and when i do i ended up playing with bots and 2 ppl..

i need to play with gaf :

gt: D23isME

zlatko

Banned
dmg04 said:
I wonder how long a TDM game would take with Execution rules

Speaking of Execution, I totally forgot one thing to bring up that others have in my giant post above: Change Execution back to 5 rounds.

I'm somewhat glad it's 3 right now since you don't have to endure one person's host going ape shit on your team, or be in a game with all SOS users for too long. :p

Edit: Oh and the proposed extra playlist.

I was going to say just make a hardcore team deathmatch. TDM with 20 kills as the goal, execution rules, no SOS, and everything else is fair game. Decent idea?

SeigO

Banned
MidnightCowboy said:
I didn't know guns could have sexual preferences.
Maybe I missed the memo when I joined, since when is using gay as an adjective a problem? "That's gay" is different from "This boring skill-less gun is incredibly cheap/gay/lame and ruins 80% of what I enjoyed about Gears 1 MP"

I'd be happy if they just added TDM-Execution or made it the default TDM style instead of fixing the KS'ing issue.

Edit: ~ I don't want to derail the thread, but not really "that's gay" which I saw listed as a bannable example offers no context or real criticism.

Teknoman

MidnightCowboy said:
I didn't know guns could have sexual preferences.
Edit: But for real, fuck kill stealing. If you down someone, they should be immune to anyone but you, unless you die before you can kill them.

An MMO style claim system might work to alleviate people getting their kills stolen.

SeigO said:
Maybe I missed the memo when I joined, since when is using gay as an adjective a problem? "That's gay" is different from "This cheap skill-less gun is incredibly cheap/gay/lame and ruins 80% of what I enjoyed about Gears 1 MP"

Isnt that about the same thing? Either way just to be on the safe side, dont use the word in that fashion, just go by the dictionary definition.

reggie

Banned
Instead of having someone get an assist or kill depending on whether they downed or finished someone off, why not instead have BOTH players get the kill? Simple.

For example, player 1 downs someone, player 2 finishes them off, both players get the kill, instead of player 1 getting just an assist.

This satisfies both players.

I vowed that I wouldn't take Gears 3 out of my 360 for at least six months after it has released and I've already put it away because of the sawed off. It just ruined the game for me. I don't even really have an urge to play anymore which sucks because I was waiting so long for this game.

Teknoman

HawksWinStanley said:
I vowed that I wouldn't take Gears 3 out of my 360 for at least six months after it has released and I've already put it away because of the sawed off. It just ruined the game for me. I don't even really have an urge to play anymore which sucks because I was waiting so long for this game.

Play horde or other modes if SOS is getting you down. Either that or try to devise a way that works for you to defend against it.

reggie said:
And spotting.

That would be cool. I bet people would still complain about who got the down shot if multiple people were shooting at the same guy...but that would be less of a problem than the way things are. Not that i'm complaining.

tsigo

rCIZZLE said:
Anybody want to team up for some TDM? Just looking for people with mics who preferably don't use SOS. :p

Yeah I'll be on for a bit longer tonight, GT's in my profile.

Goes for anyone else as well. This is the first Gears I've played competitively and I'm finally at the point where I feel like the random teammates are a liability to me instead of the other way around.

rCIZZLE

I think when they are downed whoever did the most damage should get the kill. I don't feel any shame taking a kill that I need 95% of the work for.

Teknoman said:
Play horde or other modes if SOS is getting you down. Either that or try to devise a way that works for you to defend against it.

How do you defend against it? It has the range of a gnasher and one shot gibs you from farther out than the gnasher can. It's a joke.

And everybody says how easy it is to counter, "Just stay away from corners and shoot them from far out." Yeah ok, if I'm skirting around a corner to watch for a sawed off user then I'm opening myself up to attacks from out in the open. And trying to keep them at bay with a rifle just ends up getting you shot in the back by a sawed off from someone else on the team.

It's just lame.

zlatko

Banned
HawksWinStanley said:
How do you defend against it? It has the range of a gnasher and one shot gibs you from farther out than the gnasher can. It's a joke.

And everybody says how easy it is to counter, "Just stay away from corners and shoot them from far out." Yeah ok, if I'm skirting around a corner to watch for a sawed off user then I'm opening myself up to attacks from out in the open. And trying to keep them at bay with a rifle just ends up getting you shot in the back by a sawed off from someone else on the team.

It's just lame.

My one thing that lets me stay toe to toe with them in close range situations is the chainsaw. At worst you trade and both die, and at best you beat them out/force them to run away so you can shoot them in their asses. If the connection is dildos though then tough cookies, and this is only for sawed off people who are specifically around a corner that this will be effective against.

rCIZZLE

HawksWinStanley said:

It's just lame.

You really have to just look for what shotgun they're carrying. I take corners wide and if I know they have sos I stay out of their kill range and wear them down. It's a lot worse of a gun than I thought but it is annoying when the classic shotgun battles are definitely rarer in gears 3.

Reclaimer

Played more Horde at lunch at work today; sooooo good. THIS is the game for me so far. Not campaign, not multi. Horde. Bravo Epic.

Praying for the next Halo firefight mode to have a bit of base building / resource management.

JambiBum

SeigO said:
Maybe I missed the memo when I joined, since when is using gay as an adjective a problem? "That's gay" is different from "This boring skill-less gun is incredibly cheap/gay/lame and ruins 80% of what I enjoyed about Gears 1 MP"

I'd be happy if they just added TDM-Execution or made it the default TDM style instead of fixing the KS'ing issue.

Edit: ~ I don't want to derail the thread, but not really "that's gay" which I saw listed as a bannable example offers no context or real criticism.
Just so you know saying that's gay about anything on gaf will lead to a ban. Since you are a junior it will be a permanent ban.

I played some private matches tonight against some old acquaintances. The host was in cali. It was the first time that I've played off servers. I don't know if it was because the host lives in cali or his connection was just junk but it had at least a second lag at times. Was annoying. Still went 20-4 though.

dmg04

#DEADWRONG
What the fuck is wrong with insane mode?

For some reason, no other enemies spawned during the final boss fight.
Hell, during act 5, we died from the final gunker and then it didn't respawn

zlatko

Banned
So either today (in 20 mins) or later today(when it's 9PMish in the USA), would anyone like to join me for a 4 player co-op run? It'll be all casual and straight up run through with cut scenes skipped just for the sake of completion. Arcade version.

Expecting around 3-5 hours needed. Let me know if you are up for it.

dmg04

#DEADWRONG
Welp, yeah. Just beat the campaign on insane, 4 player arcade

What a ride

1. Lambent Zerker was a breeze. Final Boss was a Breeze. I don't know why, but it feels like the difficulty went DOWN as we progressed to different portions of the game. We'd die 100 times on what should have been easy-as-hell parts... but then at the boss fights- which should be hard -we just stand there and shoot one thing till it's dead

Two palace guards spawned during the last boss fight. one wave of shriekers. that's it...
I remember playing solo on hardcore, at least 10 guards and a shit ton of shiekers pooped on me.

2. The spawn system is shit. Countless times i was spawned in the open and killed almost instantly. Example;
Brumak
. it kept spawning me on top of a god damn cargo box. That's REALLY awesome. Or when i'd spawn in front of a Gunker and get uttlerly fucked by it's massive loogie landing on my head. Or being spawned next to someone taking cover, so if i tried to slide i'd just flop around and die.

3. My third person camera kept glitching out. End of act four and halfway through five, the camera would become static. My player could move but i couldn't see where the fuck i was going/my controls were inverted.

Aside from that;
WHAT A FREAKING BLAST. Haven't had that much fun in so long playing co op... really.

Epic did an AMAZING job on this game. I will be playing it for years to come. <333333

vodka-bull said:
Have you considered that it's not a bug but a feature?
Honestly, no. Why? We died X amount of times on X parts that NEVER got any easier. For example; the part where you're
down in the flood bay 'protecting the sub'

We screwed up at least 10 times... or more on that
Never got any easier.

Not to mention, that would be a terrible feature to add to a game, in terms of 'hardcore gamers'. When i put the game on insane mode, i'd turn on modifiers if i wanted it to be easier. I want the challenge to be persistent. I want the game to challenge me until i figure shit out, not pat me on the back and say 'okayyyy i'll take it down a notch just for youuuu'

If it is a feature... oh well. Good fucking game none the less

dmg04 said:
What the fuck is wrong with insane mode?

For some reason, no other enemies spawned during the final boss fight.
Hell, during act 5, we died from the final gunker and then it didn't respawn
Have you considered that it's not a bug but a feature?

About the SOS discussion, don't get your hopes up...

EbvAN.png

And this is an interesting paragraph from the Epic Edition artbook. Lee basically corroborated on Twitter what he said earlier in this book...

v5OHx.png

So I don't think the SOS is going anywhere/getting changed. It's what it was meant to be. :(

Argh dammit, this always happens. For the new page:

About the SOS discussion, don't get your hopes up...

EbvAN.png

And this is an interesting paragraph from the Epic Edition artbook. Lee basically corroborated on Twitter what he said earlier in this book...

v5OHx.png

So I don't think the SOS is going anywhere/getting changed. It's what it was meant to be. :(

Robot Pants

Rock on, Perry!
You made Gears the popular sensation it is today. While the rest of the team is trying to ruin it with stopping power, heavy weapons, terrible gun sounds, and the SOS.
DON'T LET THEM RUIN THE LEGACY, PERRY!

zlatko, your post is pretty perfect.
also if this board had sigs mine would be this:
zlatko said:
you've already gone up and above the call of duty to appease newcomers and casuals, so can you start helping the hardcore out too thanks?

Fallacy

Neo Member
Seth Balmore said:
Argh dammit, this always happens. For the new page:

So sad, so very very sad. :'[

-PXG-

It's official, the freaks come out late at night. We're coming across some truly ridiculous, hard ass crazy people who are insanely good and on point with their game. God damn.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
"...Meant to be anti-shotgun" I don't understand :(

BTW, Playing Gears while sick is not a good decision. Going 6 and 9 and then 5 and 7... I just slept for 14 hours and I'm about to play some Gears because it's addicting anyway. Fuck stats.

DeVeAn

-PXG- said:
It's official, the freaks come out late at night. We're coming across some truly ridiculous, hard ass crazy people who are insanely good and on point with their game. God damn.
oh yeah, was feelin good couple days ago. Tonight OMG, 20 yd gnasher deaths... I am at the point where if the game turns into a Shotty fest game is sold. I have no patience.

Stat Flow said:
"...Meant to be anti-shotgun" I don't understand :(

BTW, Playing Gears while sick is not a good decision. Going 6 and 9 and then 5 and 7... I just slept for 14 hours and I'm about to play some Gears because it's addicting anyway. Fuck stats.
Stat Flow
He gonna cry in the car
(Today, 03:19 AM)
Reply | Quote

What.

snack

DeVeAn said:
oh yeah, was feelin good couple days ago. Tonight OMG, 20 yd gnasher deaths... I am at the point where if the game turns into a Shotty fest game is sold. I have no patience.
Sounds like great laggy fun to me or some really magical gnahers.

i don't understand. did the gnasher need a counter? i don't think so... it defined the close quarters combat. i guess if it really needed a counter, the retro covers that. why put something in that has a greater gib range than the gnasher? sigh...

remz

Retro IMO is definitely a Gnasher counter, just try getting close to someone with a shotty under Retro fire.

Loving the game so far anyway, Played gears 1 in coop and lvoed it buy kind of slept on gears 2. This game is utterly fantastic. People calling it polished and a complete package are totally on point, so freaking good! The gameplay is rock solid too, love everything about it.

Hella GGs tonight PXG, Melo, and...wasn't there another Gaffer? Sorry if I got intense near the end of that last match, those guys were trash and I just didn't want to lose. Went up about 7 levels in one session, I said God DAYUM

Oh, and shoutouts to Belfry, the greatest Boltok user ofall-time. Put him on a team with Chinchilla98 and Immacullate? Its a done deal, GGPO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom