• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 3 |OT| BROTHERS TO THE END

Status
Not open for further replies.

njean777

Untracked said:
Yeah I know... but they just wait around corners forever until you cross their path.

There's no counter to that shit :(

It pays to be patient, just wait them out, eventually they will make a mistake.

Apoc29

BlueScrote said:
Does anyone think that having a 'quick horde' mode would be a good idea? Maybe something more along the lines of 12 waves like Beast? I love horde, but I can't dedicate several hours to a horde run.
It'd make more sense for them to put in Social Mode like in Gears 2 so you can jump in/out guilt-free. Kind of surprised this mode isn't there in the first place.

Untracked said:
Yeah I know... but they just wait around corners forever until you cross their path.

There's no counter to that shit :(
Tell a friend he should get him from behind. Totally doable since there aren't many dead ends in Gears of War maps anyway. Or wait until he makes his first move. Or concentrate on another enemy.

JB1981

solid connection and good games with Rev today. I seem to only play well during the day (when all the pros are asleep lol).

Apoc29 said:
It'd make more sense for them to put in Social Mode like in Gears 2 so you can jump in/out guilt-free. Kind of surprised this mode isn't there in the first place.

That's true. Might be an easier solution than a whole new playlist type.

Untracked

vodka-bull said:
Tell a friend he should get him from behind. Totally doable since there aren't many dead ends in Gears of War maps anyway. Or wait until he makes his first move. Or concentrate on another enemy.
Yeah, we're trying to do that but we were playing on Overpass, it seems to be spawn, die, spawn, die. My god that map is dogshit for TDM. Whoever gets to the high ground 1st wins.

Untracked said:
Yeah, we're trying to do that but we were playing on Overpass, it seems to be spawn, die, spawn, die. My god that map is dogshit for TDM. Whoever gets to the high ground 1st wins.
So why did you constantly run towards the high ground area where apparently all the enemies were camping?

Remember, this game is adapt or die.

K' Dash

You know what sucks? Me, Zyzomis and 3 randoms were up to wave 42 on Horde mode, the game glitched and kicked everybody out.

LLShC.gif

2th

Banned
Risk Breaker said:
I wonder what is Joe Graf IMPROVING this time. ;D

The world may never know!!!

Actually i am sure he is doing a lot. And banning people. He does love banning people.
from the forums like AlienShogun lol

Untracked

vodka-bull said:
So why did you constantly run towards the high ground area where apparently all the enemies were camping?
Because if I don't move out of the spawn I hear "Enemy Reinforcements" and three of the other team spawn behind me?
Don't get me wrong, I love the game and I don't wanna be the whining twat, but that sawed-off is really ruining the fun for me.
Yeah I should adapt, but I don't seem to be able to without camping and that just ain't Gears for me :(

-PXG-

Koolaid, Unreal, Ballistik, Jambi and you others who tear shit up, join me later for Ranked. I want to win and fuck people up.

malfcn

Played a decent bit..*many* hours and only went from 55 to 58 or 59. I wasn't dominating as I had in the past. Am I at the point where levels slow down? And does KOTH and COTL level fast?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
malfcn said:
Played a decent bit..*many* hours and only went from 55 to 58 or 59. I wasn't dominating as I had in the past. Am I at the point where levels slow down? And does KOTH and COTL level fast?
They can also tweak how much XP it takes to go from one individual level to the next, and Epic explicitly said as well that the XP required would not be the same the second week, or the third and so on.

Ramirez

Barrow Roll said:
Yeah, good games. Literally played until my hands were aching. Only 1 loss all night, not bad!

Sorry for not joining last night, we tried BF3 instead (which didn't work), we'll have to play together at some point, I only have like 3-4 active people playing this on my FL.

Good fuck.

Finally managed to get the Sawed-off Shotgun execution.

I have over 200 SOS kills in MP, but the execution would not unlock there, so I had to find a way to do it in campaign. After a shitload of experimentation, what I did was search for Act 5 games on Casual. If you enter enough, you will eventually pop into the game as Aya, who has the SOS equipped. Down the nearest locust and pop the execution.

Still only at 475/1000 cheavos though. Long road.

GloveSlap

Just a quick bit of advice for any developers out there. When you put stuff like the Sawed Off or Armor Lock in your game to attract casuals or new players it doesn't work. Those people will move on to the next game that comes out and all you accomplished is ruining the longevity of the game for the people that would have kept on playing it.

J-Roderton

GloveSlap said:
Just a quick bit of advice for any developers out there. When you put stuff like the Sawed Off or Armor Lock in your game to attract casuals or new players it doesn't work. Those people will move on to the next game that comes out and all you accomplished is ruining the longevity of the game for the people that would have kept on playing it.

I kinda felt the same way, but damn, that SOS is growing on me. I usually always roll Gnasher but I like having the option. Yet Armor Lock, among other things, is one of the reasons I quit playing Reach, though.

On a side-note, is anyone else having trouble with being able to change loadouts after deaths when split-screening with someone in multiplayer? It's proving to be a pain in the ass being stuck with just one weapon set.

Single player is a blast but feels like it's so short. Maybe playing co-op makes the game breeze by. I think length-wise, it's on par with the previous two.

Gears 3 multiplayer is excellent and worth the price of admission alone.

Overall, it's a awesome package. I never got into the previous Gears multiplayer other than hordes, but in my opinion, Gears 3's team deathmatch and other modes are just as fun and good as Uncharted 2 or Black Ops.

Epic did a great job!

Ramirez said:
Sorry for not joining last night, we tried BF3 instead (which didn't work), we'll have to play together at some point, I only have like 3-4 active people playing this on my FL.
No worries. I'll probably be on later today.

Tsukumo

I really don't get the hate for the sawed off.
It doesn't do anything different from a classic shotgun when fired on zero distance, and spells death against any player who doesn't keep shooting while he moves towards you (dummies!).
I do use the SO myself and I see it as a good mean to level the playing field. I consistently get splurched by level 40 and up players with a shotgun.
IMO people that hate this gun so much fit into the subsequent categories:
-people who play Gears 3 like it's Gears 2. It's a sequel, not an expansion pack. Try figure out some new strategy, try the sawed off and learn its shortcomings by yourself and not just by watching other people play. Don't just rush in head first 'cause the Update 6 had you pull some awesome shit by means of uneven connection.
-people who chat constantly and don't listen to footsteps. This, plus using smoke grenades and pushing that damn RB button makes figuring out where (almost) everyone is an easy feat. Stop playing like Bullseye and start playing like Daredevil
-people who go constantly solo. I usually start SO and lancer, and I discard the lancer as soon as I find a gnasher on the floor. 90% of my kill with SO are teammates reviving other teammates, teammates fighiting over a boomshot elbow-ing each other while I approach, and guys that keep trying to smoke me out from vantage points in maps like Trashball and Trenches.
If I look at my friends list and watch their stats and such I don't see that big of a difference: people who are good are still good. The ones you hear complaining are the ones who don't get their precious 40-1 K/D ratio each match and cannot exploit the lag-fest Gears 2 was (at least here in Eu). Try to sponge bullets from a sawed off blast, my little host.
This game SHOWS it's been tested, and the tweak they gave to each weapon and mine-type feels thought out. I mean, don't you just love the new sound effect they gave to the boomshot?

kamspy

Bought this game used a couple days ago (PC gamers ARE pirates Epic, see?).

So far it's freaking amazing. Graphics are really good for a console. The art lends itself to a platform with no AA. There isn't a ton of telephone wires or railing to remind you of jaggies. The chest high cover isn't as flagrantly apparent as it was in the past Gears game. It's still the best feeling shooter on an analog stick. Really enjoying the campaign, gonna try some Horde mode once I get through it. Maybe even some MP.

Good job Epic. Now stop being douchebags.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
Tsukumo said:
It doesn't do anything different from a classic shotgun when fired on zero distance, and spells death against any player who doesn't keep shooting while he moves towards you (dummies!).
I do use the SO myself and I see it as a good mean to level the playing field. I consistently get splurched by level 40 and up players with a shotgun.
-people who play Gears 3 like it's Gears 2. It's a sequel, not an expansion pack. Try figure out some new strategy, try the sawed off and learn its shortcomings by yourself and not just by watching other people play. Don't just rush in head first 'cause the Update 6 had you pull some awesome shit by means of uneven connection.
-people who chat constantly and don't listen to footsteps. This, plus using smoke grenades and pushing that damn RB button makes figuring out where (almost) everyone is an easy feat. Stop playing like Bullseye and start playing like Daredevil
-people who go constantly solo. I usually start SO and lancer, and I discard the lancer as soon as I find a gnasher on the floor. 90% of my kill with SO are teammates reviving other teammates, teammates fighiting over a boomshot elbow-ing each other while I approach, and guys that keep trying to smoke me out from vantage points in maps like Trashball and Trenches.
If I look at my friends list and watch their stats and such I don't see that big of a difference: people who are good are still good. The ones you hear complaining are the ones who don't get their precious 40-1 K/D ratio each match and cannot exploit the lag-fest Gears 2 was (at least here in Eu). Try to sponge bullets from a sawed off blast, my little host.
This game SHOWS it's been tested, and the tweak they gave to each weapon and mine-type feels thought out. I mean, don't you just love the new sound effect they gave to the boomshot?

Yep well said. Everyone complaining is basically saying "you shouldn't be allowed to kill me like that!" Well, why not? Sure its annoying, but a guy gibbing me with a gnasher or chainsawing me or spearing me is annoying, it generally means I've made an error or my team mates have failed me. But those are the rules of the game world.

It pales in comparison to the original grenade stun when gears 2 first came out, that was a piece of shit!

Boomshield rendering someone invincible to scorcher flames is ridiculous. I wasted an entire scorcher 'clip' into a shield guy, went all around him and everything and he just didn't flinch.

unomas

Banned
Can't beat the sawed off? Join it, I've switched to Retro Lancer and Sawed off as my starting combo, and I'm seeing more and more of it in TDM. My K/D has been pathetic, but now that I've switched away from my orignal Lancer/Hammerburst/Gnasher setup I'm having way more success. I'm seeing so many SOS guys online in ranked matches it's not even funny, if you can't beat em join em, but it's a completely BS weapon.

-PXG-

Tsukumo said:

Wrong.

There are many times where the Gnasher doesn't gib at close range, even after three consecutive shots. It's very inconsistent. At close range the SOS will ALWAYS, 100%, kill you. Oh, and lets not forget that you don't even need to look at your opponent while holding the SOS. You can be beside someone and still get bodied. If you're in someone's general direction, you're dead.

SOS slows down a what would/should be a fast paced game. I won't dare rush with my Gnasher, since at the very best, all I can hope for is that they miss or we trade kills. Rifles don't do shit unless I can hit someone. But of course, the SOS user will just sit in cover or hide behind in corner.

It's a bullshit weapon for pussies. Real talk. I've only lose because I have wreckless teammates or up against SOS users or stacked MLG/BG teams.

Also, I hate this trend where devs confuse features that allow scrubs to kill experienced players as necessary means to "level the playing field". My ass it does. It dumbs it down and undermines people's skill and hard work. Now any idiot can get a kill without any effort at all. It's stupid.

I have to put way too much effort to kill a SOS user, while they barely have to do anything. There is more risk on my end. I have to worry about getting blasted in one shot from two character lengths away. All they have to do is hide or sneak behind me.

unomas said:
Can't beat the sawed off? Join it, I've not switched to Retro Lancer and Sawed off as my starting combo, and I'm seeing more and more of it in TDM. My K/D has been pathetic, but now that I've switched away from my orignal Lancer/Hammerburst/Gnasher setup I'm having way more success. I'm seeing so many SOS guys online in ranked matches it's not even funny, if you can't beat em join em, but it's a completely BS weapon.

I have way too much self respect to use such a corny ass weapon.

My overall K/D is 2.0 mainly because of my Gnasher. Most of the time, the SOS isn't a problem. It's only when 3+ people use it on a team, especially in KoTH.

Basically if you use the SOS, you're telling me you're too scared to use your Gnasher. You're not good enough to aim and time your shots. Instead, you have to rely on camping, hiding, sneaking to get kills with a weapon that has too much range than it should, with a ridiculous spread.

I love killing SOS users, especially with Oscar Mike or Supers. Feels so damn good.

I think I hate super Lancer/HB usage more then SOS usage. Those campy ass games on Gridlock and Mercy were so boring. I think I liked the first half of our EPIC session better then the second half; less serious business and more Grimey/Chinchilla98/Deltaforce and shit.

Has anyone had problems attempting a match in Beast mode? I hate the fact that I've been trying to play with random people because I want to unlock savage theron guard and get the Welcome to Beast Mode achievement.

Grisby

bigdaddygamebot said:
So what am I missing here?

How can I love Space Marine multiplayer as much as I do and yet HATE Gears 3 multi?

It's just so...not-fun to play.

I dunno man. I haven't played SM yet. I don't see how it could be like Gears really, I mean it has no cover right? And there's jet packs?

dmg04

#DEADWRONG
"Multiplayer is a lot more than just running out, meleeing and shotgunning. Gears 3 is so much better than the first two"

-My friends first reaction to gears 3

:)

*Joins match*
*Instantly loses match*
*Entire enemy team quits*

"Byeeeee!!"

Fuck those pussies :mad:

Damn you guys are funny btw, you sound like a Gears character AlienShogun my man. You could do a young Baird haha.

Fallacy

Neo Member
Well said PXG. I spent so long getting good at gears 2 and now in three I have to play completely different because they decide bad people should be able to win? And now I have to do badly because every time I try to have a little bit of fun with the game I get instantly bodied by some guy hiding behind a corner. I'm not going to use the sawed off, I don't like the sawed off and I'm definitely not spending half the game sitting around a corner. I don't understand how anyone can defend a gun that makes the game so boring.

unomas

Banned
I have way too much self respect to use such a corny ass weapon.

My overall K/D is 2.0 mainly because of my Gnasher. Most of the time, the SOS isn't a problem. It's only when 3+ people use it on a team, especially in KoTH.

Basically if you use the SOS, you're telling me you're too scared to use your Gnasher. You're not good enough to aim and time your shots. Instead, you have to rely on camping, hiding, sneaking to get kills with a weapon that has too much range than it should, with a ridiculous spread.

I love killing SOS users, especially with Oscar Mike or Supers. Feels so damn good.

And I would love to use my Gnasher, but I don't play anything but TDM, and when you run up against level 60+ ranked guys using the SOS and other power weapons, its pretty tough to battle it out with them. If I can't get the digger, boom, or snipe I've gotta do what I need to for my kills. I wish it wasn't this way, I hate the SOS and Retro, but you're gonna see much more of it.

Has anybody else been running into those rapid fire controllers more than normal? My friends and I have the past few days and it's quite frustrating, especially when the dude using it is usually a level 8 noob. They are killable, but it sucks when they nail you with a pistol that is firing bullets as fast as a lancer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom