• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 3 |OT| BROTHERS TO THE END

Status
Not open for further replies.

timkunedo

Just finished wave 50 with a good group of folks. WOW is all i can say. I went in blind pretty much only having played horde on gears 2. My hats off to Epic on a job WELL done!

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
reggie said:
I've said multiple times in this thread that the SOS is not broken. I still stand by this, however, my opinion changes completely when you play Execution rules. In a gametype that encourages quick close quarter kills you encourage players to use the SOS exclusively. It is here, and only here, that the SOS is broken.

Conclusion? If you play Execution exclusively and complain about the SOS, you're doing it wrong. Try TDM or Warzone. It's a shame Wingman is execution rules.
Gonna join you on the unpopular train. Got my 100 for the SOS and can't see it as broken as people say. Then again people like to throw the word around very lightly.

The gnasher is pretty much superior in a hundred ways. If your letting them get that close, your doing it wrong or you were caught off guard and would probably die anyways regardless of what weapon theyre using. I can see Gears vets having more of a problem with it though, as they might have a tendency to place themselves in the same situations that are now dominated by the SOS, but anyone who knows how to manipulate spacing and range isn't going to be raging at the SOS. Unfortunately the crazy overpoweredness of shotguns that Gears fosters just makes the SOS that extra level of bullshit.

dmg04

#DEADWRONG
Note to self; Never kick a ticker while in cover.

I'm currently stuck in fidgety-land, where i crabwalk all over the place and can't aim. this is pretty bullshitty.

also; OMG LOL! Azura, Blood drive and Rust Lung are in the leaderboards section??!?!

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

rCIZZLE

REV 09 said:
This thread shows that the SOS is doing it's job, keeping the gnasher rushers at bay. The game would be another shottyfest if it wasn't for the SOS.

Ya because what the shooter community needs is less "shottyfests". The whole series was built around shotgun battles. If you didn't like shotguns you could play halo, cod, bf, counter-strike, killzone, resistance, or a number of other shooters available on all consoles. Making this game anti-gnasher is a huge step in the wrong direction and makes me wish Epic would toss a few dedi's towards Gears 2 so I could play a superior MP game.

tsigo

Fuck Horde with randoms. Two people leave randomly before wave 10, fine, whatever. The three of us make it to 31 without failing, and a guy goes down surrounded by 5 Grenadiers. I'm close enough to run out and get him, but instead I choose to thin the herd a bit and just as I down one guy, another comes up and executes him. These were the last two or three guys on the wave and he leaves. Of course he was the host, and the game ends. Fuck off.

-PXG-

We played against the FSU clain in KoTH and got worked hard. Then we did what was done to us in the next match. lol

enzo_gt said:
Gonna join you on the unpopular train. Got my 100 for the SOS and can't see it as broken as people say. Then again people like to throw the word around very lightly.

The gnasher is pretty much superior in a hundred ways. If your letting them get that close, your doing it wrong or you were caught off guard and would probably die anyways regardless of what weapon theyre using. I can see Gears vets having more of a problem with it though, as they might have a tendency to place themselves in the same situations that are now dominated by the SOS, but anyone who knows how to manipulate spacing and range isn't going to be raging at the SOS. Unfortunately the crazy overpoweredness of shotguns that Gears fosters just makes the SOS that extra level of bullshit.
I'll jump in also. I was a pretty big Sawed-off user until just a few nights ago when I thought I'd give gnasher a try. Holy mother of God, I've already nearly hit my sawed-off kills. Step into any battle with a gnasher (active reload) and you're golden. Makes the sawed-off look like a toy gun.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
HawksWinStanley said:
So because you're not good at using it it's not overpowered. Got it.

so if I'm dominating to ridiculous levels with other guns but not this one, and I'm not getting killed by the SOS more often than other guns, how is it the standout, overpowered, unbalanced weapon that is destroying the MP game?

serious question. the numbers just don't add up.

"gnasher is a man's weapon cos it takes skill and courage to use!" - yeah right. Bouncing around firing in the general direction of your enemy hoping to kill them first is neither skillful nor playing the game well. It's buying a ticket to the lottery and hoping your connection/reflexes are better this time round.

"Gears is all about the gnasher shotgun fests!" - a game is many things to many people! Gears has always primarily been about the maps, teamwork and using cover to your advantage. Thats why we have the most sophisticated cover system, that's why we have strict squad based play lists, no free for all here.

In theory you could get away with never using the shotguns if you played the perfect gears of war match. Was interested to hear that originally a lot of the EPIC devs didn't want the gnasher to be in the game! If anything in previous games the gnasher was what was broken. The previous gnasher was often unstoppable, a team of guys could rush me time after time and I'd be defenseless. I never feel defenseless against the SOS. When I die to it I know what I could have done differently.

aDDiKt24

Banned
reggie said:
I've said multiple times in this thread that the SOS is not broken. I still stand by this, however, my opinion changes completely when you play Execution rules. In a gametype that encourages quick close quarter kills you encourage players to use the SOS exclusively. It is here, and only here, that the SOS is broken.

Conclusion? If you play Execution exclusively and complain about the SOS, you're doing it wrong. Try TDM or Warzone. It's a shame Wingman is execution rules.

Thank you for summarizing the points I would have made except I wouldn't have made them as eloquently as you. This is the truth. Wingman sucks with execution rules.

kaizoku said:
"gnasher is a man's weapon cos it takes skill and courage to use!" - yeah right. Bouncing around firing in the general direction of your enemy hoping to kill them first is neither skillful nor playing the game well. It's buying a ticket to the lottery and hoping your connection/reflexes are better this time round.

LOL

kaizoku said:

Is this guy for real

I thought Epic had taken down the Gears 2 webstats but they're still there, heh.

This should be interesting... I was level 77 in Gears 2 with 2,277 games played (608 hours of playtime... christ). I want to compare the numbers when I reach 77 in Gears 3.

On topic... it's amazing how the Gnasher is still getting hate in this day and age where Epic has given players so many ways to effortlessly destroy Gnasher users.

Robot Pants

I'm gonna bring up something that no one ever seems to mention (besides me) on the Epic forums, or here, or anywhere really.
Why the HELL do the cog and locust glow blue and red from across the map? That annoyed the hell out of me in 2, and it's back and 3 and no one seems to care about it?
I assume it's a way to stop camping so people can't hide and prolong the match forever, but come on. Gone are the days of being stealthy and getting those headshots from across the map with the sniper, or any other stealth tactic; like seeing your enemy but they don't see you and flanking them.
I dunno, it's something that's bothered me for a while but is never brought up. Anyone agree?

I love the blue/red colors from across the map. I never have to mistake any of my teammates for somebody else, its great visual to see where people are, I think its one of the best additions in Gears 2. You wanna be sneaky, you got try a little harder now.

Or just use the SOS

kaizoku

LeonSKennedy90 said:
Is this guy for real
Damn right I am, even the pros know that the gnasher is a flaky piece of shit. Coupled with previous gears dodgy netcode how was gnasher dancing ever considered a core skill in this game?

I assume the main complaint about the SOS is that these kind of dance offs are gone? I think I've lost track of the complaints now.

kaizoku

Is there a way to take my party with me when I leave a game or join someone else's game? Part of the reason I've been ignoring GAF invites was because I was hosting a party and didn't want to lose them when I left.

Robot Pants

kaizoku said:
Damn right I am, even the pros know that the gnasher is a flaky piece of shit. Coupled with previous gears dodgy netcode how was gnasher dancing ever considered a core skill in this game?

I assume the main complaint about the SOS is that these kind of dance offs are gone? I think I've lost track of the complaints now.

?????????????

kaizoku said:
so if I'm dominating to ridiculous levels with other guns but not this one, and I'm not getting killed by the SOS more often than other guns, how is it the standout, overpowered, unbalanced weapon that is destroying the MP game?

serious question. the numbers just don't add up.

"Gears is all about the gnasher shotgun fests!" - a game is many things to many people! Gears has always primarily been about the maps, teamwork and using cover to your advantage. Thats why we have the most sophisticated cover system, that's why we have strict squad based play lists, no free for all here.

In theory you could get away with never using the shotguns if you played the perfect gears of war match. Was interested to hear that originally a lot of the EPIC devs didn't want the gnasher to be in the game! If anything in previous games the gnasher was what was broken. The previous gnasher was often unstoppable, a team of guys could rush me time after time and I'd be defenseless. I never feel defenseless against the SOS. When I die to it I know what I could have done differently.
thanks for this post. perfect.

Acidote

Hey guys I have a question. I joined Kadey's game and while everybody else whas being downed, I always insta-died.

?

Feindflug

kaizoku said:

You talk shit about the Gnasher "dancing" even though you defend a POS weapon that all you do is hide behind some corner, come out, press RT and then run like a bitch? yep that's some core skill right there. :lol

kaizoku said:

I played a game with PXG and Ballistik the other night, as well as some other players above my skill level. I can attest to the fact that the gnasher takes skill to use. They weren't just rolling and wall-bouncing randomly. They were moving into positions that gave them an advantage over me. It was kinda neat seeing them do it, inspired me to emulate it. Now I don't panic in a gnasher stand-off, and actually think about where I'm going. I'm doing a little better because of it too.

LEGGZZZZ

tsigo said:
Fuck Horde with randoms. Two people leave randomly before wave 10, fine, whatever. The three of us make it to 31 without failing, and a guy goes down surrounded by 5 Grenadiers. I'm close enough to run out and get him, but instead I choose to thin the herd a bit and just as I down one guy, another comes up and executes him. These were the last two or three guys on the wave and he leaves. Of course he was the host, and the game ends. Fuck off.

More like Fuck Epic for taking out Social Matchmaking.

abracadaver

There should be a server browser for open horde games. It just needs to show the current wave, number of players, difficulty and connection speed. Probably not gonna happen though.

Also I would like to play versus with the laugh track mutator

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood
Everytime I try to get to 50 in Horde mode, people quit at around level 17 everytime! So annoying! Damn my lack of friends...

zlatko

Banned
Played for 9 hours straight tonight with friends of a friend. Turns out they work well together and there was one of them who is good and myself, so we were able to just maul. I think we went like 30+ wins and only 2 losses? It was awesome.

Dedicated servers were definitely up tonight for me in my 9 hour session. It found matches spit fast, and only a few times did we notice someone on the other team was a host because of 3 hburst bullet downs. Love when the game is firing on all cylinders like it was tonight.

Just wish it was always like this. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom