• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 3 |OT| BROTHERS TO THE END

Status
Not open for further replies.

-PXG-

Adam Blade said:
Anyone want to try Horde on Insane sometime soon?

I'd like to do 1-50 on Insane if possible. :x

149429_o.gif

Adam Blade said:
I'd settle for normal then. I think one my friends got pretty far on Insane on Overpass, though.

Edit: PXG... :(
I'd settle for hardcore. I'm leveling up everything to beat hardcore or insane someday. Again it may be a lost cause though. =(

CitizenCope said:
I'd settle for hardcore. I'm leveling up everything to beat hardcore or insane someday. Again it may be a lost cause though. =(

Well, talking to my friend now, he did it on Trenches with a couple people with only 1 mutator (active reload).

zlatko

Banned
Raxus said:
Horde on normal is a test of patience. Horde on insane is a test of godliness.

I think the GAF peeps I rolled with and I made it to wave 40 on normal? Wasn't anything hard, but a bit of recklessness on our part let gunkers get the best of us if I remember right. All in all normal and casual are pretty even in difficulty on overpass anyway.

CitizenCope said:

Yea good luck finding a group like that. Normal is tough enough, though I always play with randoms and 99% of them suck so that doesn't help.

Fantasmo

See You Next Wednesday said:
Christ, that was the 3rd time I got to level 40 in Horde mode with a group of decent randoms & we couldn't pass it.

Just like the other two times I got there, 3 Berserks & 2-3 armored Kantus. They are a game breaker. You just can't keep them at bay or kill them fast enough, even with incendiary grenades & Scorchers, without them making you run & crossing into the gunfire of a Grinder or Boomer.

Dying 3 times & restarting & having the 3 Berserkers all respawn as the bosses in those rounds :(
After that, host quit.

Thrashball, Overpass, and Trenches are all awful maps for Berzerkers. Old Town and Hotel are great. you have so much room to dodge.

Also, you're better off with no defenses because the Berzerkers will destroy them anyway, and you need money for Scorchers and ammo. Turrets help with Brumaks, Reavers and Gunkers but it's a bad gamble. Barriers are usually a total waste of money for most boss battles.

Annihilator said:
Yea good luck finding a group like that. Normal is tough enough, though I always play with randoms and 99% of them suck so that doesn't help.
Well I was hoping for Gaf Horders not randoms. I have sentrys, turrets and barriers leveled all the way up. Would need 4 more close to that.

I've got a small problem with the game.. when playing split screen horde with a friend, the black box in the upper left corner covers a good portion of both of the views. Is there any way to change this? Fantastic game otherwise.

CitizenCope said:
Well I was hoping for Gaf Horders not randoms. I have sentrys, turrets and barriers leveled all the way up. Would need 4 more close to that.

Well if you manage to get 3 other good people. I'm down for hardcore/insane horde. Horde is really the only reason I even play online gears. Gamertag is AnnihiIator.

zlatko

Banned
LeonSKennedy90 said:
zlatko, just join that FSU clan. Then you can beat up on everybody for free

Oh, here's the GoW3 level chart. Level 75 is indeed the halfway mark

http://www.gow3exp.com/gears-of-war/level/all

I'm guessing FSU is the top of the top? Like I said I'm above average at best here in Gears of War 3. I'm good at destroying the online fodder, but odds are when it comes to equal competition I'd be the lowest on my team. :p

I was asking PXG if he was going to go serious with the game, since during the time I couldn't post I read a few of his posts with delicious bragging. Seems sort of a shame to sit on real talent like he was saying he and the crew he rolls with have, but I understand that real life responsibilities get in the way of fun activities like that.

My friend and I wouldn't mind doing Beast on Insane right now...

Insane on Horde can wait for later... hopefully with people who have mutators... :x

2th

Banned
LeonSKennedy90 said:
zlatko, just join that FSU clan. Then you can beat up on everybody for free

Oh, here's the GoW3 level chart. Level 75 is indeed the halfway mark

http://www.gow3exp.com/gears-of-war/level/all

That isnt correct.
that or my sources are incorrect but i tend to trust people who make the game

Also remember that things can change. Epic have stated they can adjust the XP levels and will be doing so.

-PXG-

Adam Blade said:
My friend and I wouldn't mind doing Beast on Insane right now...

Insane on Horde can wait for later... hopefully with people who have mutators... :x

I'm bored, send me an invite.

Finished the campaign last night. I don't remember the last time I powered through a game like that in one sitting. Might end up being my GOTY but gotta wait for those big releases in November.

zlatko

Banned
The Int3rsect said:
Finished the campaign last night. I don't remember the last time I powered through a game like that in one sitting. Might end up being my GOTY but gotta wait for those big releases in November.

The only game that slightly edges it out for me this year so far was Witcher 2. My hats off to CD Red, because they delivered EVERYTHING I've been wanting out of a RPG in forever. Gears 3 is a close second.

It'll be interesting to see if anything left this year can topple what Gears 3 has done on consoles.

bumpkin

See You Next Wednesday said:
Christ, that was the 3rd time I got to level 40 in Horde mode with a group of decent randoms & we couldn't pass it.

Just like the other two times I got there, 3 Berserks & 2-3 armored Kantus. They are a game breaker. You just can't keep them at bay or kill them fast enough, even with incendiary grenades & Scorchers, without them making you run & crossing into the gunfire of a Grinder or Boomer.

Dying 3 times & restarting & having the 3 Berserkers all respawn as the bosses in those rounds :(
After that, host quit.
I played with a group of randoms last night - no mics - and much to my amazement, we got all the way up to wave 35. It sucks that whoever was the host called it quits after we lost the round. We weren't even really doing that bad, but the problem was they all get killed and I was left by myself with multiple boomers and kantus' bearing down on me. It wasn't pretty.

dmg04

#DEADWRONG
The Int3rsect said:
Honestly, i'm hoping for this to get some sort of 'special mention'. The story was solid, the features in general are solid.... When playing this game for the first few days i was overcome with this feeling of 'oldschool' gaming... like Halo 2 style where i could sit for hours on end without getting bored

Proelite

I beat Horde with 4 randoms last night. It helped when 3 of the randoms were a party.

I think starting horde at around 1-2 AM is the best time because the randoms are most likely to to see it through, since there are more events in the day that can cause them to quit.

We couldn't beat some of the boss rounds, so we retried until we got Reavers as bosses.

Proelite said:
I beat Horde with 4 randoms last night. It helped when 3 of the randoms were a party.

I think starting horde at around 1-2 AM is the best time because the randoms are most likely to to see it through, since there are more events in the day that can cause them to quit.
I always start at around that time and have quitters

timezones, how do they work?

JB1981

dmg04 said:
hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.......

I suck and probably always will suck with the gnasher but those who are good at it are good because of their skill. I firmly believe that to be the case.

zlatko

Banned
JB1981 said:
I suck and probably always will suck with the gnasher but those who are good at it are good because of their skill. I firmly believe that to be the case.

It's not impossible to get good with it by any means. I hopped into Gears 1 much later than most, and did nothing but go like 1 and 5 for probably a good 2 months. Gears is just a whole different beast altogether when it comes to online.

Gears 3 players are lucky because they have TDM now to hone their skills faster, because in Gears 1 it was warzone/execution 24/7. If I fucked up on my 1 life I would sit there and watch others, which wasn't so bad because it allowed me to see first hand what is this person doing that I'm not. It also created this sense of trying my best every time I spawned, because I didn't want to be out of the fight.

Like anything that is a skill it just takes some time and effort to become good at it. Don't be afraid to take a big dump to your k/d to find what works. I was constantly switching my sensitivities back in Gears 1 until I landed on what worked for me on using the Gnasher. I also had to learn the maps, which power weapons I should rush for because I were to get a hold of it it would benefit my team (I don't go for snipers, because I suck with them), and learning proper evasion techniques which in Gears 1 were a god send to have when snipers could just active shot down you.

Take an entire play session to use nothing but Gnasher. When can you win an engagement, when should you run, when is wall bouncing the right thing to do, when should you tap left trigger or not, etc.

Practice,practice,practice. The games enjoyment shoots up 100X fold when you can master the flow of Gears, and a Gnasher plays a large role in that.

Horde mode is so amazing.
Played split-screen all day yesterday and got up to 20 before we got our asses collectively destroyed.

One minor pet peeve I have with games is when they take away a feeling of progress. I hate when I can pick the wave I want to be on for instance. I want a clear feeling of progression. They should force you to start with Wave 1 and work your way up and let you only start on Wave's you have already completed.

Anyway minor pet peeve. Game is amazing.

dmg04

#DEADWRONG
X-Frame said:
Is there any way to easily/quickly tell if an enemy is holding a SOS as opposed to a Gnasher?
The gnasher is a larger gun, you can usually see the gun peaking out around the corner and all that. Not to mention the play style, if you notice some dude hanging around corners the entire effing time, he's usually being a pansy ass

Dug

Banned
BruceLeeRoy said:
One minor pet peeve I have with games is when they take away a feeling of progress. I hate when I can pick the wave I want to be on for instance. I want a clear feeling of progression. They should force you to start with Wave 1 and work your way up and let you only start on Wave's you have already completed.
I think Gears 2 did that...

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Just started playing this a few days ago. Damn is the campaign good! Beginning of Act 3 so far and its mindblowingly good. Will hop on MP soon. :p!

Dug said:
I think Gears 2 did that...

Yeah your right it did. Still Gears and Uncharted for me are the best new franchises of this generation. When you have a group of friends together playing co-op Gears is the most fun that can be had with any game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom