• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 3 |OT| BROTHERS TO THE END

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arnie

kaizoku said:
Damn right I am, even the pros know that the gnasher is a flaky piece of shit. Coupled with previous gears dodgy netcode how was gnasher dancing ever considered a core skill in this game?

I assume the main complaint about the SOS is that these kind of dance offs are gone? I think I've lost track of the complaints now.
Gnasher is a test of skill, not luck, which is probably why you're so frustrated by it.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Acidote said:
Hey guys I have a question. I joined Kadey's game and while everybody else whas being downed, I always insta-died.

?

That's exactly because your other three teammates were down. Since there is no self-revive, if you go down, everyone's gonna die anyways.

zlatko

Banned
Here's a complaint I haven't heard from anyone and it became super apparent to myself and the others I played with tonight and it's that you need to be inside of someone's colon to revive them.

I had so many instances of being right next to my buddy, touching them with my feet, I'm mashing X, and it won't pick them up. Anyone wtf is up with this?

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
zlatko said:
Here's a complaint I haven't heard from anyone and it became super apparent to myself and the others I played with tonight and it's that you need to be inside of someone's colon to revive them.

I had so many instances of being right next to my buddy, touching them with my feet, I'm mashing X, and it won't pick them up. Anyone wtf is up with this?

This has gotten me killed more than a few times as well. It seems like the spot to actually revive is super small for some reason.

Acidote

Skilotonn said:
That's exactly because your other three teammates were down. Since there is no self-revive, if you go down, everyone's gonna die anyways.

That's the thing, they were not :-/

Apdiddy

Label said:
Everytime I try to get to 50 in Horde mode, people quit at around level 17 everytime! So annoying! Damn my lack of friends...

I'm not very good at Horde mode (be prepared to bail my ass out more than once), but I would be willing to help you on Horde. GT is POENSis.

ShaneB

Full Recovery said:
Complain that there is not enough levels.

I really don't get this either. Is there a race to 100 I'm not aware of? Is it bragging rights? I mentioned before how the leveling in this is second rate to the numerous levels of something like a CoD game with essentially 750+ levels or whatever, but yeah.

Yeah yeah e-peen and all that stuff, but just wondering why it's such a big deal to people. Sure I want to get to 75 to unlock A. Carmine, but it's not what I'm rushing for.

Whenever I play with randoms, nobody is talking with me. Either it's because they haven't plugged their headset in or it's because they're in private xbox live parties. That's really annoying in a game in which teamplay is everything. I hope they add something that forces you to leave your xbox live party, like MW2 did, for public games.

ShaneB

vodka-bull said:
Whenever I play with randoms, nobody is talking with me. Either it's because they haven't plugged their headset in or it's because they're in private xbox live parties. That's really annoying in a game in which teamplay is everything. I hope they add something that forces you to leave your xbox live party, like MW2 did, for public games.

It's a widely opinionated topic, but I agree for the most part. I hate party chat for the reasons you've mentioned, just turns every game into a ghost town. Sure you can group up with friends and gaffers and get in your own party chat, but it's still missing the banter back and forth between teams making for a rivalry.

zlatko

Banned
ShaneB said:
It's a widely opinionated topic, but I agree for the most part. I hate party chat for the reasons you've mentioned, just turns every game into a ghost town. Sure you can group up with friends and gaffers and get in your own party chat, but it's still missing the banter back and forth between teams making for a rivalry.

Sadly developers don't get it.

One of the prolific reasons Gears of War 1 will always have a sweet spot in my heart was the epic amounts of shit talking to be had in between rounds. It's simple to mute someone who is pissing you off too, so I don't get why developers don't think a little bit of shit talking doesn't help foster fun for hardcore players.

Most of my online buddies on XBL I met thanks to Gears of War 1, and ever since party chat hit I've made no real additions to my buddy list aside from some Gaffers here and there. For all the good party chat brings, it also helped stop fostering growth within the XBL community. :/

zlatko said:
Most of my online buddies on XBL I met thanks to Gears of War 1, and ever since party chat hit I've made no real additions to my buddy list aside from some Gaffers here and there. For all the good party chat brings, it also helped stop fostering growth within the XBL community. :/
That's another point. My friendslist stopped growing significantly since party chat was introduced, and I remember the times when I had like 20 people at the same time online playing the same game and I don't think we've ever had any problems to group up with each other for ranked games though there was only a 1 to 1 chat available. And I know my english ain't the best and I know some guys pissed all of us off by playing their music in the background or by calling us nazis due to our german accent, but still, trash talk with randoms was so amusing sometimes.

Arjen

If party chat is restricted i stop playing the game, seriously.
I play games for fun, and people spewing hatefull things at me is not my idea of fun.
Just mute them you say? Wel that's a bit of work when you're playing quik match and people drop in and out al the time.
I fuckin hated it in MW2 and it was the main reason i stopped playing that

Tawpgun

kaizoku said:
Damn right I am, even the pros know that the gnasher is a flaky piece of shit. Coupled with previous gears dodgy netcode how was gnasher dancing ever considered a core skill in this game?

I assume the main complaint about the SOS is that these kind of dance offs are gone? I think I've lost track of the complaints now.

kaizoku
I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
(Today, 06:12 AM)
Reply | Quote

I would disagree.

ShaneB

It's not even the trash talk, I just enjoy a good game and talking to others and letting them know I had fun and to say good games and all that. Just builds a sense of competition instead of facing voiceless opponents. Might as well just play bots all day.

Party chat is great in most situations sure, but I'm all for restricting it in multiplayer games. For those who hate that idea, why not just set your Xbox settings to only hear people on your friends list? It's essentially the mute all you are all asking for.

zlatko

Banned
Arjen said:
I play games for fun, and people spewing hatefull things at me is not my idea of fun.
Just mute them you say? Wel that's a bit of work when you're playing quik match and people drop in and out al the time.

How about it's only for ranked games then and you can stay in your little pool of fighting bots and casual players? Win-win for everyone? The game could just use a mute all button in ranked you can hit if you bring up the scoreboard, and bingo bango everyone gets what they want. You can not have to hear/talk to anyone, and the rest of us can enjoy the social aspect of online gaming.

Arjen said:
Privacy settings, chat only allowed for friends and you can't hear any stranger at all.
The game could just use a mute all button in ranked you can hit if you bring up the scoreboard, and bingo bango everyone gets what they want.
There's an option for that, afair it was Start -> X -> RB to mute everyone who's not on your friendslist.

zlatko

Banned
vodka-bull said:
Privacy settings, chat only allowed for friends and you can't hear any stranger at all.There's an option for that, afair it was Start -> X -> RB to mute everyone who's not on your friendslist.

Ah okay so they did think of that. Awesome.

I still want a hardcore TDM playlist:

TDM. First to 2 rounds. Instead of 15 kills per round, 20 kills per round. No SOS allowed. No party chat allowed. No map voting. :)

Seriously. If you are of the opinion that the Gnasher requires no skill or less skill than the SOS to use, you either have a very tiny grasp on what this game is and how it functions, or have been seriously butt-hurt by someone steam-rollin' you with this glorious weapon at some point.

Sure, some people can fluke "dancing" and ultimately end up gibbin' you; and to them I say, "eat my doodle", but most people who have danced circles around me have proven that they know what they're doing. In my eyes, it is one of the few - and also one of the strongest - forms of video game artistry and mastery of game mechanics (as lame as that may sound).

Arjen

zlatko said:
How about it's only for ranked games then and you can stay in your little pool of fighting bots and casual players? Win-win for everyone? The game could just use a mute all button in ranked you can hit if you bring up the scoreboard, and bingo bango everyone gets what they want. You can not have to hear/talk to anyone, and the rest of us can enjoy the social aspect of online gaming.

Don't get me wrong, i met most of my online friends by playing gears to. But i also have a lot of real life friends who play gears. So we tend to talk about other stuff to in our native language. It gets a bit old hearing and getting messages like, shut the fuck up foreigner al the time.
But to restrict it in ranked sounds like a good idea.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
I'm struggling to keep up with the SOS argument because your arguments are all over the place.

These guys are good gears players, I agree with this video about the gnasher:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wY6VCHZxhO8

Yes it takes skill, you can have a player who doesn't know what he's doing and someone who is awesome with it. I'm not saying it doesn't take skill.

But you also get shots which you think should have killed but didn't register. Rule number one in the video, its basic common Gears of War knowledge, the gnasher is not some kind of surgical weapon of death, its a blunt hammer. So everytime you purposely choose the gnasher on gnasher route you're effectively signing a waiver: "Yes I understand and acknowledge that the next few seconds may include some amount of bullshit and I may or may not come out on top".

But we're going off track. That was just me arguing about the "gnasher battles are where the real skill is" - I think the real skill is not signing that waiver whatsoever. Again like the video says top players will use the gnasher as surprise attacks 80% of the time, not as some kind of mano a mano head to head.

But let's backtrack, remember I'm the guy who thinks the game balance is just fine! That means I find all the weapons to be acceptable and useable and you will get people who use each weapon skillfully and unskillfully - including the SOS.

Acidote

I'm having some trouble on my insane playthrough right after Act 1 Chapter 5? or was it 6?

When you jump right from the stadium to the bridge.

Any advice?

JB1981

kaizoku said:
I'm struggling to keep up with the SOS argument because your arguments are all over the place.

These guys are good gears players, I agree with this video about the gnasher:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wY6VCHZxhO8

Yes it takes skill, you can have a player who doesn't know what he's doing and someone who is awesome with it. I'm not saying it doesn't take skill.

But you also get shots which you think should have killed but didn't register. Rule number one in the video, its basic common Gears of War knowledge, the gnasher is not some kind of surgical weapon of death, its a blunt hammer. So everytime you purposely choose the gnasher on gnasher route you're effectively signing a waiver: "Yes I understand and acknowledge that the next few seconds may include some amount of bullshit and I may or may not come out on top".

But we're going off track. That was just me arguing about the "gnasher battles are where the real skill is" - I think the real skill is not signing that waiver whatsoever. Again like the video says top players will use the gnasher as surprise attacks 80% of the time, not as some kind of mano a mano head to head.

But let's backtrack, remember I'm the guy who thinks the game balance is just fine! That means I find all the weapons to be acceptable and useable and you will get people who use each weapon skillfully and unskillfully - including the SOS.
Jesus Christ that guy is insane

zlatko

Banned
JB1981 said:
Jesus Christ that guy is insane

In the video? That's your average Gears player. Nothing special. The people he is pounding on in those videos are below average Gears players. A game of 5 v 5 players above his skill level is where the game shines. I imagine the dude in the video is sitting around a 2.0-2.5k/d. When you see the 3.0+ monsters is when things get awesome. ;)

Christ, that was the 3rd time I got to level 40 in Horde mode with a group of decent randoms & we couldn't pass it.

Just like the other two times I got there, 3 Berserks & 2-3 armored Kantus. They are a game breaker. You just can't keep them at bay or kill them fast enough, even with incendiary grenades & Scorchers, without them making you run & crossing into the gunfire of a Grinder or Boomer.

Dying 3 times & restarting & having the 3 Berserkers all respawn as the bosses in those rounds :(
After that, host quit.

kaizoku said:
"gnasher is a man's weapon cos it takes skill and courage to use!" - yeah right. Bouncing around firing in the general direction of your enemy hoping to kill them first is neither skillful nor playing the game well. It's buying a ticket to the lottery and hoping your connection/reflexes are better this time round.
yeah, ok. Working both sticks simultaneously, a button and a trigger IN CONCERT for a weapon where you have to get the enemy in an exact part of the screen to down or gib is so unskillful.

zlatko

Banned
PXG you going for that gamebattles/MLG money? :p

I'd totally be interested in proving my mettle against players at the top skill level as I find I'm no slouch and carry my weight and then some. Unfortunately there aren't enough greasy nerds like myself out there. :(

Lima

One thing I just noticed while looking at some of the old beta vids is that the requirement to become a nemesis has been upped for the retail game.

It was 3 kills in the same game to become a nemesis not 5.

JB1981

zlatko said:
In the video? That's your average Gears player. Nothing special. The people he is pounding on in those videos are below average Gears players. A game of 5 v 5 players above his skill level is where the game shines. I imagine the dude in the video is sitting around a 2.0-2.5k/d. When you see the 3.0+ monsters is when things get awesome. ;)

If that guy is average than I must have been matched up with "average" players since day one. He's not average in the slightest.

zlatko

Banned
JB1981 said:
If that guy is average than I must have been matched up with "average" players since day one. He's not average in the slightest.

... He's average. That's what 2.0-2.5K/D play looks like man. It's what my play looks like. The last 9 hours where I played non stop was a total of 2 or 3 games lost in that entire time with the people I played, and me gaining a plethora of MVP ribbons. Games of me going 15 and 1 were the norm.

JB1981

zlatko said:
... He's average. That's what 2.0-2.5K/D play looks like man. It's what my play looks like. The last 9 hours where I played non stop was a total of 2 or 3 games lost in that entire time with the people I played, and me gaining a plethora of MVP ribbons. Games of me going 15 and 1 were the norm.

2.0-2.5k/d is not average imo. It's at least above average. Average play is a k/d above 1.0.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Yo, fuck playing with randoms
KuGsj.gif
. I mean, I only turn my mic on when I'm playing with my two gears friends, but don't you hate when the first round ends like this?:

PFtvJl.jpg
LLShC.gif

Fortunately, we ended up winning :D

zlatko

Banned
JB1981 said:
2.0-2.5k/d is not average imo. It's at least above average. Average play is a k/d above 1.0.

Alright, then he's slightly above average. His video is mostly him picking off idiots though. His guides are solid, but he should try to capture footage of him taking on equally skilled opponents to showcase what happens when you clash with someone accustomed to how Gears plays.

Stat Flow said:
Yo, fuck playing with randoms
KuGsj.gif
. I mean, I only turn my mic on when I'm playing with my two gears friends, but don't you hate when the first round ends like this?:

Fortunately, we ended up winning :D
It pains me to see bad players not realize that if they're not doing very good, they need to change their tact or start playing a support role.

...or, I don't know...stick with the dude who isn't sucking?

zlatko

Banned
shichishito said:
It pains me to see bad players not realize that if they're not doing very good, they need to change their tact or start playing a support role.

...or, I don't know...stick with the dude who isn't sucking?

And thus, a kill stealer is born.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
zlatko said:
And thus, a kill stealer is born.

the only time this pisses me off is when it's the last person. There's no excuse for stealing that.

usually it's the worst player who turns up 10 seconds after the person goes down and just blasts them with a shotgun.

Haha, true enough.

Although I'm just happy to win a few matches with randoms. I guess I'd prefer some kill stealing to a guy getting killed by a planted frag 5 times in a row in the same spot. Or the guy who takes Boltok and charges 3 enemies with it. Or the guy who tries to shoot boom through a fence. Or the guy who discharges his SOS a mile away from anyone...

...yeah, ok. fuck randoms, period, lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom