• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 3 |OT| BROTHERS TO THE END

Status
Not open for further replies.

h3ro

I'd like to take a shot at Beast on Insane as well. Anyone else down? I can get on now if we can get a crew of 5 together.

For those that beat it and wouldn't mind jumping in either since it doesn't take too long apparently, it'd be appreciated. :)

Korosenai

dmg04 said:
Honestly, i'm hoping for this to get some sort of 'special mention'. The story was solid, the features in general are solid.... When playing this game for the first few days i was overcome with this feeling of 'oldschool' gaming... like Halo 2 style where i could sit for hours on end without getting bored
It reminded me of gow1 and how much fun that game was for me. I could play gow1 for hours at a time, and thats how this game is for me.

h3ro

LeonSKennedy90 said:
Try to join PXG party, connection keeps failing. Feelsbadman.jpg

Shoto, you down to do some Beast mode to kill time before PXG is done playing with Ice T, Cliffy, Coco and Joe Graf?

I have bought all 3 Gears games for the campaign, and co-op. With the first two games I gave the multi a shot, and left it at that. It never really appealed to me.

Well, after spending some time playing Team Deathmatch with this game it suddenly clicked. I think the casual playlist is a godsend for noobs like me. It alows you to play in it til level 20, and now I really feel capable of hanging with veterans of the multi.

What I love is that I actually feel like I can compete as a Lancer guy. I've never been a shotgun fan in most games, nor a sniper. I'm an assault rifle guy. This game just strikes a nice balance with all the weapons, and no, I don't think the SOS is unbalanced. It's range is ridiculously short, and it's reload time is terrible.

There are just a lot of little touches that make this game great. I'm glad I finally gave this multi a real shot. I'm even tempted to buy map packs when they arrive.

-PXG-

Laughlin...nothing person. I sent Xamdou an invite first. Plus he has a mic. I will send an invite later.

Also, for remember, I spam invites to people on my FL and the GAF tags. If I kick you, it's only because we're full. Again, nothing personal.

Lima said:
Mutators: Instant gib melee, super reload and infinite ammo.

Map: Trenches

Stick to the top where the mulcher/oneshot is.

Damn, I'm grinding in Horde for the past few days to just level up some of the fortifications.

Each Mutators seems like they take a shit load more time to unlock then even them.

Untracked

So I'm roadie running along, minding my own business, when all of a sudden one of those Siege Beast cannon balls enters the screen and proceeds to hit Marcus straight in the face.
I wish I'd been recording, shit was so funny.

Nothing but bits! :D

BruiserBear said:
I have bought all 3 Gears games for the campaign, and co-op. With the first two games I gave the multi a shot, and left it at that. It never really appealed to me.

Well, after spending some time playing Team Deathmatch with this game it suddenly clicked. I think the casual playlist is a godsend for noobs like me. It alows you to play in it til level 20, and now I really feel capable of hanging with veterans of the multi.

What I love is that I actually feel like I can compete as a Lancer guy. I've never been a shotgun fan in most games, nor a sniper. I'm an assault rifle guy. This game just strikes a nice balance with all the weapons, and no, I don't think the SOS is unbalanced. It's range is ridiculously short, and it's reload time is terrible.

There are just a lot of little touches that make this game great. I'm glad I finally gave this multi a real shot. I'm even tempted to buy map packs when they arrive.

The Retro Lancer feels like it was made for my playstyle. IMO, the Gears games have always been about mastering close-in or long-range combat, with mid-range combat always feeling like it was a bit useless, but the addition of a hard-hitting yet inaccurate rifle hit a sweet-spot. It also makes the classic Gears tactic of rolling around and sprinting through fire until you're in shotgun range less viable.

Also, dedicated servers are bitchin'. Gears 1 was ruined for me because of lag/host issues, and Gears 2, while an improvement, still had a few rage-inducing moments, especially as Gears MP is all about split second timing.

Hey, my 20gb 360 crapped out days before GOW3 came out, and I cancelled my pre-order for this, thinking I could get by without a 360 and use my PS3 until the next gen consoles come out. However, I'm a weak man and decided I need to play this fucking game. Since this is the last exclusive I care about, I was thinking about saving some cash and just getting a 4gb arcade rather than one with a hard drive and using a flash drive for extra space. However, I was doing some reading and it seems Halo Reach required an official Xbox hard drive for online co-op. My question for you is whether GOW3 requires an official hard drive for anything?
If it does, I may as well just splurge and pickup the limited edition console bundle. Thanks!

h3ro

Amazing Insane Beast mode run with a few GAFers just now!

Downed the last COG on Wave 12 with one second to go! What a rush! Unlocks were popping up for close to fifteen seconds after we finished.

Centipede is such a beast. I can't wait to see what they do with Beast Mode, I'd love to see it expanded to include Reavers and Brumaks. :lol

Dreaver

Meh, my flaming (animating) skin (dunno how I even ever got it at all) just got 'locked' again. Weird, because I did unlock some other ones.

snack

abracadaver said:
Wow so it takes 3800000 xp for level 100
Thats 3 million less than in gears 2. You get a lot more xp in gears 3 than you did in gears 2 too

Is there a prestige mode when you reach rank 100 ?
Don't think there's a prestige mode.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
TheOddOne said:
This has happend to me twice.

:|
Happened to me at wave 34. Feels fucking bad man :|

When I get the time, I want to do a 1-50 or 31/34-50 run with GAFers who I (hope) won't bail on me. Assuming people are still playing horde in a week, which I bet they are.

abracadaver said:
Wow so it takes 3800000 xp for level 100
Thats 3 million less than in gears 2. You get a lot more xp in gears 3 than you did in gears 2 too

Is there a prestige mode when you reach rank 100 ?

Yeah, easy as hell to level up in this game. Some guy earlier was talking about he had 2,200+ matches played and he was level 77. I have 340 matches played an I'm level 71

Genesis Knight said:
What map did you end up using? I'm just bummed I had to leave...missed out on a good run it sounds like. :(
Checkout. Our strategy was having a few people use Wild Tickers and destroy fortifications while others use regular tickers to kill Stranded. We'd leave one hero behind and keep downing them until all the fortifications were destroyed for maximum cash. About half way through it became a cake walk since we had so much cash saved up. Really fun.

h3ro

enzo_gt said:

When I get the time, I want to do a 1-50 or 31/34-50 run with GAFers who I (hope) won't bail on me. Assuming people are still playing horde in a week, which I bet they are.

Let me know when/if you do. I'm definitely down to play more Horde, especially on a map other than Overpass or Sandbar. Sick of those two for Horde.

I am glad to see gears 3 is easier to level, for someone like me who has only just hit 50 it will be a good month+ before I hit 100 if not longer, maybe they should add in a "pristiege" thing for the longer players so they can unlock a new badge or something.

-PXG-

Diablohead said:
I am glad to see gears 3 is easier to level, for someone like me who has only just hit 50 it will be a good month+ before I hit 100 if not longer, maybe they should add in a "pristiege" thing for the longer players so they can unlock a new badge or something.

The Onyx medals give you something to do after you hit 100.

tsigo

enzo_gt said:

I've done 1-30 with pubs and I joined a friend's game randomly to help his group finish 40-50, so I just need the 30s but I'm up for either.

enzo_gt said:

Count me in.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
I'll tell you what, super reload makes things extremely easy to kill. It'll probably be the way I end up beating Horde on Insane. You know a mutator is powerful when all you want to do is keep your lancer on active reload.

JB1981

J. M. Romeo said:
This may or may have not been said already, but I didn't like the new way the Locust came out of the ground.

Every single time, I just saw Michael Jackson dancers.
I love the new geyser effect

h3ro

JB1981 said:
I love the new geyser effect
Same here. I think it's a sick way to make an entrance.

Cliffy, what if you implemented these entrances into Beast Mode! Pick a Savage Grenadier or Drone and you get to pick your spawn point!

Fallacy

Neo Member
It's funny cuz I played gears 2 for a year and only hit 100 because of xp bonuses and now I'm gonna get 100 in gears 3 in a month? crazy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom