• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 3 |OT| BROTHERS TO THE END

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cronox said:
What's with Gears multiplayer being the most inconsistent thing ever? Sometimes I own people so badly, taking out entire teams, other times I'll have a 1:3 or worse K/D ratio. I understand that the skill of my team fluctuates, but shouldn't I have some consistency here? I've never had such fluctuating performance in Halo or CoD.

Feelin this.

zlatko

Banned
Cronox said:
If I may quickly insert some bitching:

What's with Gears multiplayer being the most inconsistent thing ever? Sometimes I own people so badly, taking out entire teams, other times I'll have a 1:3 or worse K/D ratio. I understand that the skill of my team fluctuates, but shouldn't I have some consistency here? I've never had such fluctuating performance in Halo or CoD.

And has anyone brought up the cognitive dissonance of hearing the screams of someone you just blew into bloody chunks with a shotgun? I mean, where is the sound coming from? I know there's a voice box in there somewhere, but I doubt its ability to make sounds once separated into a slab of meat.

Gears of War 2 was definitely the most inconsistent thing ever, but this game I am consistently going positive and either placing first or second within the games overall scores and kills at the end of a match.

If you are not a seasoned veteran you will not being seeing consistency, because you are ill equipped in comparison to others who may have Gears 1 and 2 mastery over you. To add to this, there are even Gears 2 players who are struggling simply because they think all they need is a Gnasher 24/7 and are stuck in the mindset of swapping to it the second they spawn, pop a few shots, and then active it up once they are near a starting hot spot. I had a group of people calling the Gnasher shit in this game and saying they wanted to go play Gears of War 2 instead of 3. I laughed long and hard over that.

As much as EPIC has done for more casual players or newcomers to the series here with Gears of War 3, it isn't going to be enough to even up the new with the old. Older players can adapt far more quickly.

You'll just have to see what others are doing at the end of a game that got them to first place. Odds are they rushed a key power weapon on the map, got kills with all its ammo asap, and then returned for a fresh batch of ammo because the repop time for a power weapon is insanely fast here and feels like 30 seconds.

Learn map layouts, learn which power weapons cause more havoc in your hands, and try your best to use these tools while staying close to at least 1 team mate. You'll start seeing more results when you are the guy who always has the boom shot. ;)

Cronox

Banned
exYle said:
Played a KOTH game against a team that didn't use the SOS. I've never cursed less in a Gears game.

I'm beginning to wonder if I should apologise to the neighbors for the loud cursing I've been doing all weekend.

JambiBum

zlatko said:
Gears of War 2 was definitely the most inconsistent thing ever, but this game I am consistently going positive and either placing first or second within the games overall scores and kills at the end of a match.

If you are not a seasoned veteran you will not being seeing consistency, because you are ill equipped in comparison to others who may have Gears 1 and 2 mastery over you. To add to this, there are even Gears 2 players who are struggling simply because they think all they need is a Gnasher 24/7 and are stuck in the mindset of swapping to it the second they spawn, pop a few shots, and then active it up once they are near a starting hot spot. I had a group of people calling the Gnasher shit in this game and saying they wanted to go play Gears of War 2 instead of 3. I laughed long and hard over that.

As much as EPIC has done for more casual players or newcomers to the series here with Gears of War 3, it isn't going to be enough to even up the new with the old. Older players can adapt far more quickly.

You'll just have to see what others are doing at the end of a game that got them to first place. Odds are they rushed a key power weapon on the map, got kills with all its ammo asap, and then returned for a fresh batch of ammo because the repop time for a power weapon is insanely fast here and feels like 30 seconds.

Learn map layouts, learn which power weapons cause more havoc in your hands, and try your best to use these tools while staying close to at least 1 team mate. You'll start seeing more results when you are the guy who always has the boom shot. ;)
It feels like 30 seconds because it is 30 seconds. Next time you use all of the ammo look at the clock when you empty it. Wait for 30 seconds to pass. Respawn. Every time.

Also you are completely correct with people not being able to adapt. There are a couple of guys in my usual group who just can't get gears 3.

This is way more important than what I was just talking about. I just joined a game with a Crimson omen medal with the tag of I Made This! Anyone know what it is?

Ballistik

Level 77 and only 270 matches played! What are we going to do once we hit 100 :/

"I made this! " is literally just that, an EPIC employee. I figured it out because PXG invited some dude who worked on Gears 3 and that was his medal too.

zlatko

Banned
JambiBum said:
It feels like 30 seconds because it is 30 seconds. Next time you use all of the ammo look at the clock when you empty it. Wait for 30 seconds to pass. Respawn. Every time.

Also you are completely correct with people not being able to adapt. There are a couple of guys in my usual group who just can't get gears 3.

This is way more important than what I was just talking about. I just joined a game with a Crimson omen medal with the tag of I Made This! Anyone know what it is?

I figured it was 30 on the dot. I have an internal clock that always gets me back to the weapon spawn area right as it pops back up. If I'm too far across the map I'll tell team mates X weapon will be back in Y seconds, so that they can have it instead of the other team getting a hold of it.

zlatko

Banned
exYle said:
I swear it doesn't work sometimes, which irks me to no end.

If a SOS user is camping around a corner, I just rev up my chainsaw and go at the right angle that if they try to shoot me, it either trades or I come out on top. If they try to rush me, the regular lancer has 90000 bullets to stop them from getting anywhere near you, and unlike the retro has enough ammo to down up to 3 people who want to rush you. :D Throw in active bullets and it's curtains for dem fools.

abracadaver

Some onyx medals are ridiculous. Like play 2000 matches in every gametype. Execute 500 nemesis and so on. No thanks

Unless you spend months with boosting you will never get the seriously achievement.

I've been improving on my approach to a gun fight. I'm not rushing like a goof anymore, and now I'm actually taking some Gaffer's advice and taking corners wide. I switch my weapons around a lot too, instead of instantly switching to my Gnasher. This definitely isn't Gears 1 or 2 anymore.

As a result, I'm enjoying Versus a lot more. I come out positive pretty often now, and my encounters are actually fun. But yes, there are those pesky SOS users that piss me off, and I still think it needs a fix.

zlatko

Banned
biosnake20 said:
Does anyone think the gnasher is still too inconsistent or is it just me?

Just you. On dedicated servers it is consistent within it's kill area. If you are coming off Gears 2 you may be used to the Gnasher being able to down in 3 shots from a fairly ridiculous/long range, and your mileage would vary if you threw in active bullets.

It has great consistency in that close range area, but if an opponent starts to create open space and pull away, then trying to empty Gnasher bullets into them as they move back isn't necessarily the best choice anymore. You either have to close a big gap if you want to keep gnashering, or quick swap to a pistol/rifle to finish them off.

If dedi's are down though, this all goes out the window and ridiculous shit will fly. :/

Arjen

biosnake20 said:
Does anyone think the gnasher is still too inconsistent or is it just me?

I definitly had some moments were it should have been a gib, but the fucker kept an walking. But i gues that was when the servers were down.

Cronox

Banned
Stat Flow said:
Overpass is a horrible map.

This and drydock are my least favorite.

Love how the ranked mode map voting system works too, using the good ol' Halo model. Oh waaaat?! There's a tie in the voting?! Ok, we'll make you play a map no one wanted!Probably drydock. Sweet...

zlatko

Banned
Cronox said:

Love how the ranked mode map voting system works too, using the good ol' Halo model. Oh waaaat?! There's a tie in the voting?! Ok, we'll make you play a map no one wanted!Probably drydock. Sweet...

SINNER! Drydock is a great map. You can go left, right, or center. Flank paths are open so a better team can get a quick advantage over those who aren't checking their six. The power weapons made available are perfect for the size of the map.

Overpass on the other hand is definitely a turd. Herp derp camp the top to win. :/

leng jai

abracadaver said:
Some onyx medals are ridiculous. Like play 2000 matches in every gametype. Execute 500 nemesis and so on. No thanks

Unless you spend months with boosting you will never get the seriously achievement.

Nobody with any semblance of a life could get Seriously 3.0

reggie

Banned
Cronox said:

Overpass fucking sucks, but Drydock is the best map in the game.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I like dry dock but it has potential for spawn camping. Overpass is pretty indefensible, that map needs another path to the top. I also really dislike sandbar, but I'm not as sure how to fix this one.

Mercy is the best map in the game. Undeniable fact.

All the maps from the beta play the best because epic added in new paths and routes to it, you can really see a difference to the maps not from the beta which all have 1-2 exits at the most and lots of choke points, drydock spawn camping on the cog side is terrible.

Cronox said:
If I may quickly insert some bitching:

I find it's mostly down to lag, if you get in a solid pinged server or become the host you get a huge advantage in shotgun duels aka you shoot first before the other person, but when it's the other way around you end up being downed from what feels like a mile away but on their screen they were standing in front of you, not 5 feet away.

Lag really makes or breaks gears, back in the gears 1 days I found that playing over a LAN was the best thing ever for that game, everyone has 2-3ms lag which is more or less nothing. Online we have to put up with either 40ms for someone local or 200+ if playing an oversea host.

Papercuts said:

idk, church is REALLY powerful with only two entrances and a powerful weapon within. Get all 5 guys in there and it's a beating.

My vote would go to Checkout or Old Town.

Cronox

Banned
Diablohead said:
All the maps from the beta play the best because epic added in new paths and routes to it, you can really see a difference to the maps not from the beta which all have 1-2 exits at the most and lots of choke points, drydock spawn camping on the cog side is terrible.

I find it's mostly down to lag, if you get in a solid pinged server or become the host you get a huge advantage in shotgun duels aka you shoot first before the other person, but when it's the other way around you end up being downed from what feels like a mile away but on their screen they were standing in front of you, not 5 feet away.

Lag really makes or breaks gears, back in the gears 1 days I found that playing over a LAN was the best thing ever for that game, everyone has 2-3ms lag which is more or less nothing. Online we have to put up with either 40ms for someone local or 200+ if playing an oversea host.
There are times where I wish I had people from the dev team watching so I could turn around upon dying in some ridiculous way and say "now guys, tell me exactly why that just happened."

Meh, I don't really give a damn about the leveling system (stopped at 77 in Gears 2), but I vaguely recall someone from Epic saying rank 100 would take much longer to attain in Gears 3 compared to Gears 2.

Now I'm seeing all these rank 100s running around thinking it strange. But the same dudes that figured out the level progression numbers in Gears 2 have done it with Gears 3, and it turns out rank 100 in Gears 3 requires 3 million points whereas Gears 2 required 6 million. Add ribbons and medals to the mix and it's not really surprising that so many people have hit 100 already.

So... much longer to attain = half the points? Is my understanding of the English language getting worse? :|

Papercuts

The Xtortionist said:
idk, church is REALLY powerful with only two entrances and a powerful weapon within. Get all 5 guys in there and it's a beating.

My vote would go to Checkout or Old Town.

For some reason I'm one of the only people on my team that ever use the church, so that's probably a good point.

Trenches is one of my favorite maps now despite hating it in the beta. The change makes it all flow well.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
Seth Balmore said:
Meh, I don't really give a damn about the leveling system (stopped at 77 in Gears 2), but I vaguely recall someone from Epic saying rank 100 would take much longer to attain in Gears 3 compared to Gears 2.

Now I'm seeing all these rank 100s running around thinking it strange. But the same dudes that figured out the level progression numbers in Gears 2 have done it with Gears 3, and it turns out rank 100 in Gears 3 requires 3 million points whereas Gears 2 required 6 million. Add ribbons and medals to the mix and it's not really surprising that so many people have hit 100 already.

So... much longer to attain = half the points? Is my understanding of the English language getting worse? :|

feels a lot quicker to me, at least at the early levels. I'm already level 34 and it took me ages to get there in Gears 2, and I've not even been trying to level up in gears 3.

Shame the stuff you unlock isn't that cool for levelling up. Feels almost pointless. If there were some cool weapon skins then it'd be more worth it.

Arjen

I really like
Mercy
Checkout
Gridlock
Hotel
Oldtown

Kinda like
Drydock (it is to easy to lock down the spawns though)
Trashball (hate it when a team decides to go camping upstairs)
Trenches

Hate
Sandbar
Overpass.

Map count is just to low, i already played the shit out of 5 of them.
And of the other 5 i hate 2 of them.

Papercuts

Arjen said:
I really like
Mercy
Checkout
Gridlock
Hotel
Oldtown

Kinda like
Drydock (it is to easy to lock down the spawns though)
Trashball (hate it when a team decides to go camping upstairs)
Trenches

Hate
Sandbar
Overpass.

Map count is just to low, i already played the shit out of 5 of them.
And of the other 5 i hate 2 of them.

Swap Trenches for Gridlock and this is basically my list. I never was a fan of that map.

Cronox

Banned
On Drydock, I suppose my problem is that the map is too open. There is very little cover that can't be compromised by someone having an angle on you, and because of the different vertical levels, this can happen simply based on height. And the main bottlenecks, which I'll call shotgun square and lancer alley, don't have many tactics besides using power weapons from the other side of the map and using SOS around corners in the shotgun square.

Then again this map usually means that my team will get massacred, so maybe I'm just bitter.

zlatko

Banned
Papercuts said:
I like dry dock but it has potential for spawn camping. Overpass is pretty indefensible, that map needs another path to the top. I also really dislike sandbar, but I'm not as sure how to fix this one.

This is true about drydock, and it's usually the case for the Locust team spawn side that they can't get out and are forced to camp back into the containers. Team work can get you out of there, but it is near impossible if it's a better team who is holding you in, because they won't cross that invisible line to swap the spawns. I'm not sure what a good fix to this problem would be, other than to open up the area next to that house where the scorcher spawns, so you can go left of the house and try to make your way up to torque from another exiting spot that would be covered up better than what is currently there now.

Sandbar being fixed is a lot to do with power weapons. The hammer of dawn is a good idea on paper to make it so people can't just camp the top, but if a team brings a sniper rifle up there, then you are shit outta luck ever using the hammer or the one shot against people up there.

My proposed Sandbar fixes(not all necessary, but just some ideas):

1) Change a lot of power weapons. Boomshot is too good on that map. Make it digger 24/7 in that spot. The sniper rifles should become frags for both sides. The frag spawn should become 1 sniper rifle. The One shot I'm still iffy on but, maybe make it a torque, and leave hammer as is.

2) If changing weapon spawns doesn't work, there's always creating paths from the snipers that connect to the top area. I'd also create a direct path to the sniper for both sides from spawn, so that if your whole team is put into spawn loop, you don't have to run out into the open where people from the hill can see you going for a new sniper rifle. This, along with a path from the snipers to the top, would create enough wiggle room to allow for people to push up.

3) Another area a spot could be created if it's too much geometry to fuck with for #2, is to cut open a path on each side of where the grenades spawn. A ramp that leads up to that green field area on both sides, and place 2 tall walls on this ramp, so if you try to push and someone camps the top, you can still have cover to make an approach.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
I actually prettymuch hate most of the maps..Old town to me is droll and redundant as hell. New thrashball is awesome. Dry docks i like a whole lot..but it really is almost as unbalanced as overpass. Overpass is pretty but it fuckign sucks. Mercy is my favorite map. This game really really needs some new maps. Thank god for gridlock.

2San

Check out is the only map I really love. Pure unadulterated cqc. Old town takes 2nd and is a map that I really like. The rest ranges from "ok" to "god not this map".
Seth Balmore said:

Bah we need true skill rating back. The 3 stripes where good players and 4 where absolute beasts. The 5 stars where kinda hit and miss, since a lot of people exploited to get that rating. Having wings atm means absolutely nothing. Since my first encounter with 2 winged people, meant them getting rocked and we didn't even coordinate our attacks(we like to Rambo and only switch to teamwork when the opposition demands it)...

My thoughts on maps/gametypes

Checkout: Good for everything
Drydock: -TDM, +objective
Old Town: Good for everything
Thrashball: Good for everything
Mercy: -TDM, +Objective
Trenches: Good for everything
Overpass: Shit for everything
Sandbar: Shit for everything
Gridlock: -TDM, +Objective
Hotel: Good for everything

zlatko

Banned
The Xtortionist said:

Here's my thoughts, and it's all based off of TDM----

Checkout: Needs 2 more spawns. Each team could pop also at the electronics store at their doorway. The map needs a better weapon than the mulcher on that side. Digger/Sniper > Mulcher.

Drydock: See my post above about the map. The simple fix would be yet another set of spawns, perhaps at the bottom ramp over by the torque/sniper side.

Old Town: God like map. Don't change a thing.

Thrashball: Still easy as all hell to camp the top and control the map. I wish the paths that lead towards the stairs would have led all the way to the top so you exit by the top of the steps, and not the bottom.

Overpass: Feces. Grindyard 2.0. Needs more paths to the top.

Mercy: Ace map, but can also have spawn issues. Could use another set of spawns that pop you where the boltoks spawn, or in those archway knooks by the steps of the mortar/oneshot.

Trenches: Super easy to change the spawns constantly with a path that leads right into the other teams spawn. Could also use another spawn area by the blocks near the mortar.

Sandbar: See my post above for possible fixes.

Gridlock: Don't you dare speak ill of the map that started it all. It's even more refined than previous iterations.

Hotel: Campers paradise. Every fucking corner is a SOS waiting to blast you. Nothing wrong with the map honestly, but the general flow of combat thanks to SOS camping sort of ruins it for me.

I'll also toss in a 2 cents on BloodDrive making a comeback. I hope to God that the grenade spawns are just inks everytime. What ruined this map in Gears 2 was the camping you can do with the grenades and constantly tagging walls. Matches took FOREVER on here, and people would just sit like bitches on their steps staring each other down too scared to make an approach due to a grenade being there.

Now take that map and toss in how powerful rifles are, AND SOS campers around corners, and you have a recipe for dog shit. This is my least anticipated map for Gears 3. :/

Feindflug

The Xtortionist said:

Completely agree, worst map by far is Sandbar - the biggest problem with the map is that it has two sniper rifles, this seriously turns it into a sniper camping paradise and discourages movement in the map especially if there is someone with a sniper in the high spot of the map - it's almost not worth it to go get the oneshot or the hammer, if you can grab a sniper, capture the high spot and also grab a boomshot or a digger you're most likely gonna win..if this map didn't have sniper rifles at all or at least have one at the oneshot spot it would've been a much better map IMO.

A fairly simple solution but it seems that Epic isn't exactly open to suggestions or potential changes from the community so I don't see the map getting any better.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
I honestly welcome the influx of old maps. Lots of folks loved and hated maps for different reasons..but i really would love to see most of them come back. If for nothing else than nostalgia. Fuel depot would make me cry.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
Can someone explain the difference between Arcade and Standard for the campaign?

Me and some friends are playing it through for the first time, how do we choose which mode to play? Does Arcade have instant deaths, no revives or something like that?

Arjen

Feindflug said:
Completely agree, worst map by far is Sandbar - the biggest problem with the map is that it has two sniper rifles, this seriously turns it into a sniper camping paradise and discourages movement in the map especially if there is someone with a sniper in the high spot of the map - it's almost not worth it to go get the oneshot or the hammer, if you can grab a sniper, capture the high spot and also grab a boomshot or a digger you're most likely gonna win..if this map didn't have sniper rifles at all or at least have one at the oneshot spot it would've been a much better map IMO.

A fairly simple solution but it seems that Epic isn't exactly open to suggestions or potential changes from the community so I don't see the map getting any better.

That's not true, EPIC does listen to the community, they changed a bunch of stuf after and during the beta.

kaizoku said:
Can someone explain the difference between Arcade and Standard for the campaign?

Me and some friends are playing it through for the first time, how do we choose which mode to play? Does Arcade have instant deaths, no revives or something like that?
arcade has respawns as long as one player is still standing, it also adds a score and multiplier counter to the hud and you get a result screen after each area.

Gattsu25

Banned
kaizoku said:

Arcade has a visible scoring system. No instant deaths and it allows revives.

edit: ahh, the respawning system is Arcade only?

Feindflug said:

I don't get your problem with Sandbar. It's fairly easy to get the person camping on the cliff if you go in for it. I like that Sandbar offers a more open and larger apporach to TDM and for example King of the Hill. I'm an average Gears player and I hardly ever get sniped.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom