• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 3 |OT| BROTHERS TO THE END

Status
Not open for further replies.

K' Dash

LosDaddie said:
Yeah, it's back to normal for me during the week. I got too drunk watching football this weekend and passed out early.

Campaign at the same time? 9pm EST?

Yup, campaign at the same time.

Yesterday I played with some randoms and we applied a strategy on sandbar that was working great, then 2 people left and we lost at wave 40 :( I'm sure that if we do it with gaffers we can reach wave 50 easy on that map
3AQmK.gif

Grisby

LosDaddie said:
The guide says the Super Reload mutator takes about an hour to unlock. That's not too bad.

Yeah, that sounds good. It seems like some of the others ones are. I got the insta gib which took a couple of days in beats. I'm working on the vampire one now, getting the executioner medal in versus games.

zlatko

Banned
maxcer0081 said:
i'll do that. im on the gears1gaf GT:Goodacre

signing in now. plus i don't mind waiting to fill spots with gaf members that wont quit 3 chapters in

Got any friends that might be up for it?

Anyone on GAF here posting want to join us? ; ;

TRios Zen

I would guess servers were down or not all available last night as most of my games saw one player with 90% of the kills with the remaining 10% split between 9 others.

Not Gears 2 frustration, but some questionable stuff for sure.

I guess I am just reiterating the need for server notification in the menus or better yet - per game. Would help mitigate your expectations of the game if you know you are playing P2P vs hosted servers.

sajj316

After playing quite a bit this weekend, it's quite evident that in order to win, your team needs to get to high ground. It's "King of the Hill" so to speak. Take Overpass and Sandbar as an example. The team that controls the higher position has a distinct advantage. This coupled with power weapons like boomshot on Sandbar and the turret at the top of Overpass. I don't mind fighting to the top/high ground but when you don't have that many points of entry, it's quite frustrating.

On Sandbar, the weapon layout could use some work. Snipers are good, if you have good snipers. The one shot and hammer of dawn are useless when the team huddles toward the boomshot/digger section. Good teams will wait it out and pick their spots. Good teams are few and far in between matches so the strategy to pick spots needs to be communicated. Kind of tough without a mic :( Only three points of entry for the center. Two of which are in the same section.

Overpass is pure frustration. Only one path to the top of the hill. Take control of the top and make sure your team has hammerburst or active lancers (original). Game over for the other team. If you're looking to take the top, good luck. Another game of picking your spots. Useless mortar and hammer of dawn if all are huddled with protection over them. Nades would be nice.

EDIT: This is for TDM btw

zlatko said:

im down. need arcade/insane/4players taken off my list. i got super reload and instagib mutators.

i can do a solid run til 2pm, then i have to get my daughter from school. takes six minutes(no lie), then im good to go for another 2 hours.

GT: panama chief

REV 09

sajj316 said:
After playing quite a bit this weekend, it's quite evident that in order to win, your team needs to get to high ground. It's "King of the Hill" so to speak. Take Overpass and Sandbar as an example. The team that controls the higher position has a distinct advantage. This coupled with power weapons like boomshot on Sandbar and the turret at the top of Overpass. I don't mind fighting to the top/high ground but when you don't have that many points of entry, it's quite frustrating.

On Sandbar, the weapon layout could use some work. Snipers are good, if you have good snipers. The one shot and hammer of dawn are useless when the team huddles toward the boomshot/digger section. Good teams will wait it out and pick their spots. Good teams are few and far in between matches so the strategy to pick spots needs to be communicated. Kind of tough without a mic :( Only three points of entry for the center. Two of which are in the same section.

Overpass is pure frustration. Only one path to the top of the hill. Take control of the top and make sure your team has hammerburst or active lancers (original). Game over for the other team. If you're looking to take the top, good luck. Another game of picking your spots. Useless mortar and hammer of dawn if all are huddled with protection over them. Nades would be nice.

if you're by yourself, play ranked. You'll generally be matched with a team of like minded individuals who wont' just quit at the sign of losing. You also won't hop into a game mid-match where the other team was dominating and has everything on lockdown.

sajj316

REV 09 said:
if you're by yourself, play ranked. You'll generally be matched with a team of like minded individuals who wont' just quit at the sign of losing. You also won't hop into a game mid-match where the other team was dominating and has everything on lockdown.

True. I haven't touched rank yet. I didn't in the first game. I like a quick game or two usually so I figured ranked is more of a time investment. Unfortunately, my win/loss ratio is terribly skewed due to joining games with 2-3 bots against a stacked side. Also kills my k/d ratio.

Is there anyway to know if you are against a team that's currently in a party? I'd like to leave those games :) Usually filled with SOS/Retro Lancer squads.

zlatko said:

looks like we only need one more if panama joins

Is there anyway to know if you are against a team that's currently in a party? I'd like to leave those games :) Usually filled with SOS/Retro Lancer squads.

when you start up a ranked game players will have icons next to their names. the crown means they're the party leaders and the icon with the three heads means they're in a party.

zlatko

Banned
panama chief said:
im down. need arcade/insane/4players taken off my list. i got super reload and instagib mutators.

i can do a solid run til 2pm, then i have to get my daughter from school. takes six minutes(no lie), then im good to go for another 2 hours.

GT: panama chief

Since you have those mutators would you mind being the one to create it? Private arcade from scratch on casual difficulty so we can bum rush through it?

My GT is Outlaw Slevin

Also send an invite to Goodacre

We need 1 more GAF! Anyones? :O

see5harp

I actually find much better and fair games in ranked actually. I usually only see one rage quit a match at most and it gives you the chance to switch character and vote on map choice. Quick match is fine but when you find yourself beating teams badly or getting beat badly yourself, I usually don't want to stick around. It's more fun when it's a fresh team of 5 every match.

njean777

sajj316 said:

My strategy for overpass is to run straight to the back, The team may seem to have the advantage on the high ground, but I pick up the hammer/mortar and rain fire all over them. Usually they will eventually come down and I just pick them off one by one. Now what my team does is beyond my control. But sandbar is extremely annoying. Whoever gets to the boom/digger controls the map most of the time. I agree though that the high ground is extremely important, on Thrashball if you get to concessions, and you have other teammates, you can win easily by luring them up the stairs.

see5harp

zlatko said:
Since you have those mutators would you mind being the one to create it? Private arcade from scratch on casual difficulty so we can bum rush through it?

My GT is Outlaw Slevin

When are you doing it now? I'm at work for the next 8 hours.

zlatko

Banned
see5harp said:
When are you doing it now? I'm at work for the next 8 hours.

Yeah trying to set it up now. :(

Edit: Maxer or Panama, do either of you have an extra XBL Gold account? Or maybe have a 48 hour trial laying around? You could make an extra dummy account and just sign that in, and play in co-op. Since it'll be on casual that extra fourth can just sit back and not be needed while we run through just us 3.

I would offer doing it, but I have no 48 hour codes, and when I tried to make a dummy account XBL no longer offers a free 48 hours on new account creation now for whatever reason. :/

sajj316

njean777 said:
My strategy for overpass is to run straight to the back, The team may seem to have the advantage on the high ground, but I pick up the hammer/mortar and rain fire all over them. Usually they will eventually come down and I just pick them off one by one. Now what my team does is beyond my control. But sandbar is extremely annoying. Whoever gets to the boom/digger controls the map most of the time. I agree though that the high ground is extremely important, on Thrashball if you get to concessions, and you have other teammates, you can win easily by luring them up the stairs.

Agreed on Thrashball. Smoke nades on bothsides. Position a player or two on each side to lance the crap out of enemies. Clean-up player with Gnasher for whoever gets through the barrage of lancer bullets. Strategy works a majority of the time. Five like minded individuals are extremely dangerous in this game :)

I have my gripes with Mercy but I think it's a pretty playable map. I do wish there was a sniper on the board (sniper bias of course). I might be the minority here but I think the mortar kills the fun of the map.

Thank God for Gridlock!

zlatko said:

My GT is Outlaw Slevin

trying to add you on live and i keep getting an error. give me a minute

zlatko

Banned
panama chief said:
trying to add you on live and i keep getting an error. give me a minute

It worked on my end I added you. I probably should have pointed out it's a capital O on outlaw, and S on Slevin, as well as a space between the two since GT's are case sensitive and all that. :p

dmg04

#DEADWRONG
njean777 said:
But sandbar is extremely annoying. Whoever gets to the boom/digger controls the map most of the time. I agree though that the high ground is extremely important, on Thrashball if you get to concessions, and you have other teammates, you can win easily by luring them up the stairs.
If you can get a competent sniper, head down to the hammer spawn and choose either side to turtle at. It REALLY is easy to 'lure' the opposing team from the high ground and poop on them.

zlatko

Banned
panama chief said:
ok. ill check my messages. had to reset my modem.

Oh hm weird. I meant that your FR came through and I accepted it. It was showing you online doing wave 10 of horde.

Edit: Hm something weird just happened with my xbox live as well. Since I was sitting there waiting I was just clearing people on my friends list I didn't know at all anymore, and it was chugging forever, then signed me out of XBL.

Gears still works fine though, but I have to launch the game first, then sign in into XBL.

sajj316

dmg04 said:
If you can get a competent sniper, head down to the hammer spawn and choose either side to turtle at. It REALLY is easy to 'lure' the opposing team from the high ground and poop on them.

This happened last night. I'm no god-tier with the sniper but with me, 3 bots, and 1 human player on one side, I was able to get a decent amount of head shots last night. The bots ended up taking the boom/digger spawn and trapped the enemy while I pick them off one by one. I ended up with 24 kills and 6 deaths in total. This is the only saving grace of Sandbar.

zlatko said:
Oh hm weird. I meant that your FR came through and I accepted it. It was showing you online doing wave 10 of horde.

im not sure whatts going on with my live right now. i cant even sign in but connection tests say live is up. my account is good til 2014. did you guys find a fourth?

zlatko

Banned
panama chief said:
im not sure whatts going on with my live right now. i cant even sign in but connection tests say live is up. my account is good til 2014. did you guys find a fourth?

No fourth yet, but look up at my post for your answer. It isn't just you. This same issue happened the day right after Gears 3 launched. Just insert the disk without signing into XBL, then once you are in the screen that says "press start" sign into XBL. That should resolve it, but don't try party chat. You'll have to use in game chat. :(

Edit: Ugh. Won't even sign me in doing the method I just described. Looks like XBL is down. Thanks Msoft for telling us when this shit is going to happen so we can plan accordingly. :/

There have been many times where I felt like I was not on dedicated servers (lag, freezing, skipping around, point blank gnasher shots ineffective, etc.), but I have not once seen a single "Host Migration" message since launch. Did they remove the host migration message?

Ultimately I just want the server status to return so I know with certainty if I am going to be on an even playing field (mostly) or not.

Also, I had a strange matchmaking glitch happen on Saturday. I was in a party with friends and after playing several matches together I got a message saying I could not connect to host when we joined a match. We tried different game types and matches. I then noticed that it was showing "0 people playing worldwide" and "0 people playing in your region" on the matchmaking screen. I reset the modem, router, Xbox 360, changed parties around, released and renewed all DHCP leases, etc. Eventually, it let me into a match but it still showed the "0 people playing..." thing. I didn't have any other issues joining games for the rest of the night (despite it still showing the 0 people playing message) and everything was back to normal on Sunday. This happen to anyone else?

zlatko said:
No fourth yet, but look up at my post for your answer. It isn't just you. This same issue happened the day right after Gears 3 launched. Just insert the disk without signing into XBL, then once you are in the screen that says "press start" sign into XBL. That should resolve it, but don't try party chat. You'll have to use in game chat. :(

Edit: Ugh. Won't even sign me in doing the method I just described. Looks like XBL is down. Thanks Msoft for telling us when this shit is going to happen so we can plan accordingly. :/

sad moment but im sighing in relief. my box locked up on me and ive been trying to get back on. i was worried it was just me. ill keep my eyes on this topic. i still have a few hours to run through it. gonna go back and see if i can get those 200 fortification ribbons in horde, make our playthru even easier with unlimited ammo.

-PXG- said:
I was wondering why I got booted out and why it took forever to get passed the title screen...

completely unrelated, but thanks for the thread PXG. naysayers and 56k'ers be damned, that OP is nice and i used a few of those covers. props.

Matll

MCXC Pioneer said:
Anyone else unable to sign into XBL? I think the service may be down...

Yeah. We were playing 4 player co-op on insane and suddenly host drops. I tried to send messages but everything seemed to work really slow. Then I decided to reboot my Xbox and now I can't even sign in to Live.

Scarecrow said:
If you guys still need a fourth guy, and if Live is working, I can join in 10-15 minutes so I can eat some lunch.

yup, we're just waiting for xbl now. oh well, my team was about to lose that CTL match anyway

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
MCXC Pioneer said:
Anyone else unable to sign into XBL? I think the service may be down...
PXG used up the total amount of Gears the Microsoft gods allowed us to play for the week already.

We may have to sacrifice someone to appease them.

zlatko

Banned
Scarecrow said:
If you guys still need a fourth guy, and if Live is working, I can join in 10-15 minutes so I can eat some lunch.

We do, and it's all a matter of Xbox Live.

I'm just puzzled how Msoft can have a planned downtime and not let people know on their forums or through twitter. If it isn't planned downtime then... ruh roh h4x0rz. :p

Scarecrow

zlatko said:
We do, and it's all a matter of Xbox Live.

I'm just puzzled how Msoft can have a planned downtime and not let people know on their forums or through twitter. If it isn't planned downtime then... ruh roh h4x0rz. :p
Great. Though, I'm only available for the next 4.5 hours.

zlatko

Banned
Scarecrow said:
Great. Though, I'm only available for the next 4.5 hours.

Plenty of time to destroy through it on casual skipping all the cut scenes. If only Xbox Live would be so kind as to accommodate our schedules into its planned operation hours we help fund. :(

Xevren

LosDaddie said:
The Instagib Melee one I might unlock before doing my Insane run, too. The Infinite Ammo one would take me forever.

You're on my friends list, if you wanted I could host an Insane playthrough maybe at some point. I have both infinite ammo and super reload unlocked.

Miggytronz

Users may experience difficulties with the following services:
Signing into Games for Windows – LIVE on a PC
Signing into Xbox LIVE from an Xbox console
Signing into Xbox LIVE from Xbox.com
We are aware of the problem and are working to resolve the issue. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause and thank you for your patience

Miggytronz

Xevren said:
You're on my friends list, if you wanted I could host an Insane playthrough maybe at some point. I have both infinite ammo and super reload unlocked.

Id be down for this sometime.

Miguelangelos

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom