• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 3 |OT| BROTHERS TO THE END

Status
Not open for further replies.

-PXG-

Lima said:
So you know all of the 10 maps in and out? I don't and I play them a shit ton.

I do :p

Good

Checkout
Dry Dock
Hotel
Oldtown

Average

Thrashball
Trenches
Mercy
Gridlock

Bad

Overpass
Sandbar

dmg04

#DEADWRONG
-PXG- said:
I do :p
Average

Thrashball
Trenches
Mercy
Gridlock
How is Gridlock Average?

Also, i find Hotel boring. I don't think i've spent more than 20 minutes total outside [comparing to a few hours played on that map alone]

Detox

maxcer0081 said:
this whole DLC map thing is hilarious. they want to sell us DLC but they don't want to split the userbase

..and they actually found a way to do it.
All this and with no bandwidth cost either bravo EPIC

LOL @ dedicated server excuse. They had the foresight for on disc DLC but not how to make it work in public games?

-PXG-

dmg04 said:
How is Gridlock Average?

Also, i find Hotel boring. I don't think i've spent more than 20 minutes total outside [comparing to a few hours played on that map alone]

It's campy as fuck. People sit in the towers and poundyou with Lancer/HB fire all day. Hell, I do...It's cheesy as hell. Plus, I'm tired of it.

Hotel is pretty much the new Mansion. Can't hate that.

Willeth

-PXG- said:
From Rod:

So ummm...get on that shit.
I'm kind of impressed that they couldn't get the infrastructure in place to make sure that the maps were in rotation when they were released, but they could make sure all the skin packs and the season pass were up day one.

This is just a big pattern with Epic. They just fumble around with DLC and hope it works and don't have a proper PR force to deal with the fallout (or better yet, advise them ahead of time how the community will respond).

Right now I don't have any incentive to buy the maps, which is an odd position they've put me in. They're not going to be in matchmaking, so I don't 'need' to buy them to keep up with the community. I still haven't exhausted Horde with the shipped maps, and when I want to play the new maps in it, I can just join someone who has.

So now I'm going to wait and see what campaign DLC they drop and how substantial it'll be, and maybe drop back in then. But then I'll be losing out if I don't buy the Season Pass, so that'll stay my hand a little. By that point, I'll be really likely to have moved on, likely to something like MW3, to play with my friends. And then the fewer people I have to play with, the less likely I am to buy a pack that's 2400 MSP, no matter how much content there is.

And that's even ignoring the fact that they're dropping this pack on November 1st, a week and a half after Batman launches when everyone will still have their teeth in that, and the exact day that Uncharted 3 drops. I thought (hoped) Gears would stick itself in my drive for a long time, but right now there's just so much more stuff that I'd rather spend my time with. Maybe I'll do a Gears 2 and grab the Season Pass when they do a deal on it, because right now there would have to be some serious shit coming in the pack to push me back in after being away for a while.

-PXG- said:
So ummm...get on that shit.
27 days to "fix" whatever "issues" they have with the servers and announce they maps will be available for MP rotation November 1st.

They won't lift a finger. :(

Who are they trying to kid, the bloody maps are on everyone's game code. They're on our game discs. I just can't believe the servers are running special game code that for some reason doesn't have those 3 maps available for MP rotation from the get-go.

-PXG-

maxcer0081 said:
I know everyone likes to shit on gears2 but as it stands right now it did have the better map selection at launch

No it didn't.

Every single map at launch was/ still is terrible. The only ones that were half decent were the Flashback maps, which you can't even count since they're remakes.
Seth Balmore said:
27 days to fix whatever issue they have with the servers and announce they'll be available for MP rotation November 1st.

They won't lift a finger. :(

I have a feeling it will be a for a few days, a week tops. I wouldn't worry too much.

Alright, confession time...I don't really like Gridlock, and never have. It's a combination of NEVER doing good on the map + very predictable routines after people playing on it since 2006. It looks great, and the Madworld instrumental Easter egg is cool, but I cringe every time it pops up, or gets voted for. Automatic 1.0 K/D for me.

dmg04

#DEADWRONG
-PXG- said:
It's campy as fuck. People sit in the towers and poundyou with Lancer/HB fire all day. Hell, I do...It's cheesy as hell. Plus, I'm tired of it.

Hotel is pretty much the new Mansion. Can't hate that.
Clocktower will triumph all.

BrokenBox

dmg04 said:
I'll hit up Jack again later tonight.

What's really pissing me off, though, is the fact that they use one soda nozzle for all sodas

all of my cokes taste like fucking fanta and sprite. gross.

If you find it in your heart to hook me up, that would be amazing.

-PXG-

dmg04 said:
Clocktower will triumph all.

Clocktower better come back. Yeah, it's rumored to be in development according to several "leaks". I hope they're true though. That, Mausoleum and Raven Down need to make a return. Maybe throw in Canals and Old Bones. Hotel is pretty much Mansion 2.0, so no need to remake it.

Unless they've received the same treatment as the new Blood Drive, Gears 2 maps can stay the hell away from Gears 3. I don't want them. I wish for them to remain a distant memory.

dmg04

#DEADWRONG
BrokenBox said:
Also, I'd love for Epic to directly respond as to why we're paying for on-disc content.
It's pretty obvious; Microsoft.

They govern game prices.
They govern DLC packs.

Willeth said:
I thought (hoped) Gears would stick itself in my drive for a long time, but right now there's just so much more stuff that I'd rather spend my time with.

Battlefield 3 was looking to be my part-time Gears dethroner, but I'm not too sure if that's going to eventuate. Dat Beta, man. It's maybe the worst gaming product I've ever played.

Between that and this DLC debacle, GAMES ARE FALLING APART, LISA!

BrokenBox

dmg04 said:
It's pretty obvious; Microsoft.

They govern game prices.
They govern DLC packs.

Of course, but Epic are usually pretty good with their fans. I'm surprised they agreed to things like $45 weapon skin packs and withholding maps. It sucks for gamers.

2th

Banned
-PXG- said:
Clocktower better come back. Yeah, it's rumored to be in development according to several "leaks". I hope they're true though. That, Mausoleum and Raven Down need to make a return. Maybe throw in Canals and Old Bones. Hotel is pretty much Mansion 2.0, so no need to remake it.

Unless they've received the same treatment as the new Blood Drive, Gears 2 maps can stay the hell away from Gears 3. I don't want them. I wish for them to remain a distant memory.
Bullet Marsh will come back. I'm calling it now.

-PXG-

Ballistik said:
Sitting in a joinable public party by myself. Anyone want to play some Koth right now?

About to go eat, but I'm down to tear people apart later. Gonna try and get 98 tonight. Slim chance I can get Gnasher Master. If not, easily getting it tomorrow.

Ballistik

Wtf the weirdest glitch just happened. I started horde matchmaking but canceled it right away. Then I casually went over to campaign to look at what I needed on insane. All of a sudden, loading screen out of nowhere. Bam, in a horde lobby, picking a map.

Lima

Ballistik said:
Sitting in a joinable public party by myself. Anyone want to play some Koth right now?

I would love to play with you but this fucking game won't let me. My NAT is open, my connection perfectly fine, yet gears is just fucking dumb. Always get the stupid connection to the host failed message.

No problems in the beta too. They changed something in the retail game. Quick check on the epic forums and there are many people with this problem. So fix this shit epic.

zlatko

Banned
So glad I didn't get the Season Pass. I just had this gut feeling it wasn't going to be worth it for me. Blindly putting money up front in a group of developers who have been doing a lot of letting down over the years.... just not a wise move with my dollars.

Had some truly shittastic games today. Mantel over cover, teleport back. Get someone to do a mantel over cover as I'm 300 feet away from it and still get hit, proceed to watch them miss 2 bullets, and then finally get me on the third.... fucking stun lasts waaaaaay too long. You should only get 1 free shot and if you fuck up then it's fair game I get a chance to blast your ass for having piss aim.

Games where host drops you with 2 gnasher bullets from one end of the electronics store to the next in Checkout. Games with host using sawed off and retro camped up in the church in Mercy. Good luck breaking him. He'll kill all 5 of you before you'll get him. :/

Fantastic moments like watching Diggers explode on someones ass who is not moving on cover and they don't die. Terrific times on Hotel with an entire team camping inside around corners with sawed offs and smokes on walls.

About the only game I had no be a stinky piece of shit was my last one where I went 22 and 1 on Old town. Shout outs to teams who don't even come to digger/boom and just let me wreck shit up the entire game.

TL;DR-----I want dedicated servers 24/7 before I even consider fucking ponying up a damn cent to any DLC. Fuck SOS.

REV 09

enzo_gt said:
Why are people still complaining then?

Where is the source?
it's still bullshit. A mp map pack has never done this. Fans trusted epic on dlc by forking out for the season pass and then they do something out of left field with the first batch of content. It's poor planning. Why can't they at least have a dlc server with a mix of modes until the maps are added to the regular rotation? There are solutions.

Dug

Banned
dmg04 said:
lololol
i have the season pass and i'm not too worried
this is only the first of four or so DLC packs

#worthit
SdAw2.gif

Korosenai

Epic is really starting to piss me off. Why in the fuck would they not be in map rotation? Seriously?

I understand it's a horde pack, but these are mp maps also.

zlatko

Banned
Lima said:
I would love to play with you but this fucking game won't let me. My NAT is open, my connection perfectly fine, yet gears is just fucking dumb. Always get the stupid connection to the host failed message.

No problems in the beta too. They changed something in the retail game. Quick check on the epic forums and there are many people with this problem. So fix this shit epic.

Did you try just connecting your ethernet cord right into your modem instead of the router?

XxCGSxX

wait wait, I don't get it. New MP maps aren't going to be in Public or Ranked matches?, only in Private matches? AND they are on the disc already?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
REV 09 said:
it's still bullshit. A mp map pack has never done this. Fans trusted epic on dlc by forking out for the season pass and then they do something out of left field with the first batch of content. It's poor planning. Why can't they at least have a dlc server with a mix of modes until the maps are added to the regular rotation? There are solutions.
I would say paying for something before you even have a taste at what you are getting is very, very poor planning.

You made a bad investment, in your opinion. Deal with it. It's not out of this world for DLC to make it into general rotation a bit later, plus only the host needs it to play. Jesus the backlash in this thread is incredible, combination of being ill informed and jumping to conclusions. ztlako has legitimate conplaints.. But none of them are exactly related to this DLC.

Lothars

enzo_gt said:
I would say paying for something before you even have a taste at what you are getting is very, very poor planning.

You made a bad investment, in your opinion. Deal with it. It's not out of this world for DLC to make it into general rotation a bit later, plus only the host needs it to play. Jesus the backlash in this thread is incredible, combination of being ill informed and jumping to conclusions. ztlako has legitimate conplaints.. But none of them are exactly related to this DLC.
I paid for the Season Pass and Don't regret it at all, The maps will be in versus sometime and I will still get all the DLC anyway.

zlatko

Banned
dmg04 said:
AND we'll be saving money!

What if one of the free things you get is awful? What if TWO things are awful? It could happen.

I wouldn't be surprised though for those of us who didn't get a Season Pass, that when the second batch of DLC hits, when they will add those maps and these first ones to a playlist or into current playlists, that they might do a dual pack thing where I can pay like 1200 points and get these 6 maps, but no skins or anything else. Which if it were to happen is a much better investment for someone like myself who only wants MP maps I can play against others in ranked online.

I just hope when they make this playlist for these new maps they don't go the Gears 2 route of "DLC map playlist" so it's just the 6 in rotation. I'd like to see a TDM with the 10 maps we have now and the 6 new ones, and as more DLC maps get added they get tossed into this playlist, so you can only keep playing it if you have all the map packs.

Any word on when the first title update for this game is going to come? Will be weird if the DLC launches November 1st before they address some of the issues with the game. I don't even mean nerfing SOS either.(Would be great if they did) I mean things like Beast mode matchmaking actually working, dedicated servers up 24/7, fixing some of the maps that have serious issues(overpass,sandbar).

KaYotiX

Banned
So when they stop selling the season pass and then release maps ppl want will they all still complain becasue they cost more?

quickwhips

zlatko said:
What if one of the free things you get is awful? What if TWO things are awful? It could happen.

I wouldn't be surprised though for those of us who didn't get a Season Pass, that when the second batch of DLC hits, when they will add those maps and these first ones to a playlist or into current playlists, that they might do a dual pack thing where I can pay like 1200 points and get these 6 maps, but no skins or anything else. Which if it were to happen is a much better investment for someone like myself who only wants MP maps I can play against others in ranked online.

I just hope when they make this playlist for these new maps they don't go the Gears 2 route of "DLC map playlist" so it's just the 6 in rotation. I'd like to see a TDM with the 10 maps we have now and the 6 new ones, and as more DLC maps get added they get tossed into this playlist, so you can only keep playing it if you have all the map packs.

Any word on when the first title update for this game is going to come? Will be weird if the DLC launches November 1st before they address some of the issues with the game. I don't even mean nerfing SOS either.(Would be great if they did) I mean things like Beast mode matchmaking actually working, dedicated servers up 24/7, fixing some of the maps that have serious issues(overpass,sandbar).

I dont like overpass but what is the issue you are talking about on sandbar?

see5harp

I don't know I figure we pay for a lot of stuff in advance without really knowing whether something will be good. I'll pay $60 for a Floyd Mayweather fight knowing full well shit is going to suck. I haven't paid for the season pass yet but once I get my cheapo points from Buy.com, I won't have any problem paying the $35. I figure the points were already bought at 30% off so buying the season pass seems like a no brainer to me.

dmg04

#DEADWRONG
zlatko said:
It could, but i'm taking that gamble. I've never "hated" a DLC map that gears has gotten. Sure, i've liked certain ones over others... but eh. I see it as a good investment for a game that i'll be playing for years to come. 90 bucks for the game and all DLC is still less than getting the Insane Edition. Hell, it's only 10 over the limited and i'm getting more game content, rather than a statue that i'd put on a bookshelf and never look at again.

zlatko

Banned
quickwhips said:
I dont like overpass but what is the issue you are talking about on sandbar?

Camp the top = free win. Same as overpass. Super easy to lock the other team down below as you rain sniper bullets into their face, diggers up their asses, spray them down with rifles, boomshot them to pieces, and if they dare be stupid enough to rush just pop around a corner with a sawed off for lulz.

The power weapons on the beach are useless if the sniper on the team holding the top is on the grass area and just pops the dome of someone who would be idiotic enough to try to oneshot which needs time to charge up, and a hammer with the same issue.

The map could simply use another means up there, or fixing the power weapons and where they spawn. I would make the grenade area spawn 1 sniper rifle, I would make the digger/boom be the grenades, and the two sniper spots could just be scorchers.

see5harp

I like Sandbar. At least there is a sniper per side so that one guy can play countersniper down below to try and provide cover for the guys on the boat. That and even guys below can get actives and hurt a lone sniper on the grassy cliff. I don't find the top on sandbar to be that advantageous aside from rounds with the Boomshot.

-PXG-

see5harp said:
I like Sandbar. At least there is a sniper per side so that one guy can play countersniper down below to try and provide cover for the guys on the boat. That and even guys below can get actives and hurt a lone sniper on the grassy cliff. I don't find the top on sandbar to be that advantageous aside from rounds with the Boomshot.

Please. Someone. Save this poor child.

B3ASTMODE

So yesterday I went to Jack in the box with my brother and we ended up with 4 of the green liquid metal skins. so if anyone has anything to trade just pm me. after keeping one for myself and one for a friend I have 2 available.

dmg04

#DEADWRONG
Sandbar would be better if there were two entries on both rides, rather than the 100% lopsided nature around the power weapon spawn.

on one side, you have two entrances. one going to the middle, the other around back of the power weapon
on the other, you have the central entrance. Rather than a second entrance, you have a fucking wall that people can shoot/snipe/blow your sorry ass up from.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom