• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 3 |OT| BROTHERS TO THE END

Status
Not open for further replies.
Finished campaign with a friend today.

I have to say, compared to Gears of War 2, I think the campaign is shit. 90% of GoW3 campaign was simply clearing an area of enemies, and then moving onto the next area. The environments were also incredibly dull.

Gears of War 2 had really varied environments (inside a giant worm, snowy mountains, an underground cavern that still managed to be quite colourful), and shitloads of awesome setpieces (riding a Brumak, driving a vehicle over ice, fighting a boss while on a tiny raft on water, the aerial fight with Scorch, carrying a bomb with a partner and only being able to use pistols, etc).

I don't think I ever want to play through GoW3's campaign ever again, yet it's made me want to replay GoW2's.

Oh, by the way, the friend I played with didn't get the achievement for beating the game on Hardcore, despite the fact that we played through the whole game together. Anybody else have that problem? I was the host.

CoryCubed

Shotgun Kiss said:
Oh, by the way, the friend I played with didn't get the achievement for beating the game on Hardcore, despite the fact that we played through the whole game together. Anybody else have that problem? I was the host.

Had the same thing happen, happened release day, it was weird it was like the first act was never completed even though both my friend and I just got our game. We started the game from scratch. It didn't count the collectibles we got or anything, but all the others were there from the latter acts.

Maddog

Shotgun Kiss said:
Finished campaign with a friend today.

I have to say, compared to Gears of War 2, I think the campaign is shit. 90% of GoW3 campaign was simply clearing an area of enemies, and then moving onto the next area. The environments were also incredibly dull.

Gears of War 2 had really varied environments (inside a giant worm, snowy mountains, an underground cavern that still managed to be quite colourful), and shitloads of awesome setpieces (riding a Brumak, driving a vehicle over ice, fighting a boss while on a tiny raft on water, the aerial fight with Scorch, carrying a bomb with a partner and only being able to use pistols, etc).

I don't think I ever want to play through GoW3's campaign ever again, yet it's made me want to replay GoW2's.

Tell him to go check which chapters show as completed. I beat the game on hardcore solo and after beating it one of the chapters didn't say I had beaten it at all so I finished it again and got the achievement for beating the game.

Lima

zlatko said:
Did you try just connecting your ethernet cord right into your modem instead of the router?

No need for that. Modem and router are both in one device.

Thing is I could play with them during the beta, I can connect to alienshogun and pretty much everyone else, but always get this stupid message when trying to join pxg.

Now something is fucked up here and because all other games are perfectly fine and considering that there are many other people having this issue, I blame gears.

Kadey said:
Guys. Can you still get the collectibles in arcade mode?

Yes

zlatko

Banned
vaelic said:
I don't get it... i can never find a BEAST game but have no trouble finding horde mode games. I have yet to play beast :(

I don't know anyone who has had the matchmaking for Beast work at all. So you aren't alone.

@Lima

Hmmm well I would still try to troubleshoot on your end, because it isn't like EPIC is going to fix it since it seems to be a rare one. Maybe try hitting up the EPIC forums and seeing what you can muster up there. If you can't get any resolutions from there, then I would just suggest trying the usual stuff like resetting your mode/router machine you got, opening the ports, etc. Definitely though make sure to go to their technical forums and note your issue so they are aware of it. ;)

tsigo

Just checking to see if PXG has me (saigoh) muted or something. I keep hearing one-sided conversations when I'm in games with him.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
I'm not going to bitch about the maps because it makes no sense to purposely hold back maps from being in matchmaking rotation when they've done this since Gears 1, and even have DLC-only playlists in Gears 2. If they say it's a dedicated server problem, then that's that I guess. I'm not going to pretend to be a developer and say it's bullshit.

All I want is for the maps to be added into rotation pronto.

see5harp

I just failed at my attempt to get skins. I bought 4 drinks and two were complete duds. I only got one set of skins but on the bright side I got an order of churros and free sour dough jack. Basically I paid about $5 for the skins and 3 customers behind me got free drinks. Sorry guys :(

REV 09

enzo_gt said:
I would say paying for something before you even have a taste at what you are getting is very, very poor planning.

You made a bad investment, in your opinion. Deal with it. It's not out of this world for DLC to make it into general rotation a bit later, plus only the host needs it to play. Jesus the backlash in this thread is incredible, combination of being ill informed and jumping to conclusions. ztlako has legitimate conplaints.. But none of them are exactly related to this DLC.
I think the consumer response shows that this was poor planning. And saving 33% is certainly not a poor investment overall. Oh and lol at defending this with a personal attack.

KaYotiX

Banned
zlatko said:
I don't know anyone who has had the matchmaking for Beast work at all. So you aren't alone.

@Lima

Hmmm well I would still try to troubleshoot on your end, because it isn't like EPIC is going to fix it since it seems to be a rare one. Maybe try hitting up the EPIC forums and seeing what you can muster up there. If you can't get any resolutions from there, then I would just suggest trying the usual stuff like resetting your mode/router machine you got, opening the ports, etc. Definitely though make sure to go to their technical forums and note your issue so they are aware of it. ;)

Beast Matchmaking is all i do sometimes, just takes a few mins is all.

zlatko

Banned
KaYotiX said:
Beast Matchmaking is all i do sometimes, just takes a few mins is all.

The two times I tried I wasted over 10 minutes trying before I gave up each time. Compared to the 10-20 seconds it takes to put me in a Ranked match of TDM or a Horde match it is basically broken on my end.

There can't possibly be no one wanting to play Beast everytime I'm up for it, and the two times I tried were within the first week of the games release where I KNOW people were looking.

It needs a boost in speed. :/

h3ro

Adam Blade said:
Holy crap, instagib mutator can down Berserkers on Horde?

If so, Horde is ridiculously easy with that + super reload + infinite ammo.
You got all the mutators already?!?

see5harp

-PXG- said:
Please. Someone. Save this poor child.

I do think there's a little unbalance there with the asymmetrical design but that aside I guess I just like the way the map looks. I do wish other parts of the map were occupied more often because there's a lot of space that goes unused on that map.

dmg04

#DEADWRONG
Bah nevermind.

Tomorrow i --might-- have some green weapon codes. Depends on whether or not i get any more when i go to jack.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
REV 09 said:
I think the consumer response shows that this was poor planning. And saving 33% is certainly not a poor investment overall. Oh and lol at defending this with a personal attack.
Where's the personal attack? Im calling out your judgment of them for YOUR bad decision, according to yourself. How many investments do you make at 30$+ without knowing exactly what your getting, especially to the degree of the Gears pass? No movie trailers, pre-orders for cheap games or anything give you that little info. You pulled the trigger early. The season pass was not going anywhere. From this date forward you still had a month to decide. It's your fault, don't blame the devs for poor planning when they told you you'd get Horde DLC and you got Horde DLC that also will eventually also work in versus. Your expectations did not line up with the final product, well sorry you created expectations from next to zilch info and bet $30 on those expectations. I don't care how many people bought it, that just means more people made uninformed purchasing decisions.

And even still, they're ending up in matchmaking anyways, so they'll probably be integrated into Versus matchmaking by the time you figure out what the last mystery gift is in your Season Pass.

Lima

zlatko said:
The two times I tried I wasted over 10 minutes trying before I gave up each time. Compared to the 10-20 seconds it takes to put me in a Ranked match of TDM or a Horde match it is basically broken on my end.

There can't possibly be no one wanting to play Beast everytime I'm up for it, and the two times I tried were within the first week of the games release where I KNOW people were looking.

It needs a boost in speed. :/

Beast matchmaking is super fast for me too.

Basically all gametypes are fast for me. That makes me wonder why I can't connect to pxg even more.

h3ro said:
You got all the mutators already?!?

Naw, I beat Horde on Insane with a couple peeps who had infinite ammo + super reload.

I was just checking a Gamefaqs thread and it said instagib can down Berserkers on Horde (normal variant)...

I only have super reload unlocked right now. Cheesing my way for instagib...

Infinite ammo can be cheesed pretty quickly with 2 peeps.

Xevren

Vincent Alexander said:
Which mutator makes Insane the easiest? I just got my first one (Explosions are larger) and it is kinda underwhelming.

Super reload would probably be the best one, that with infinite ammo will probably be the best 2 to get.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
enzo_gt said:
well sorry you created expectations from next to zilch info and bet $30 on those expectations. I don't care how many people bought it, that just means more people made uninformed purchasing decisions.
You know where the expectations come from? From playing Epic games for over 11 years. From playing Unreal, Unreal Tournament, UT2K4, Gears 1, and Gears 2. So you make the purchase with the trust that has been stored up based on how they've supported their previous games (which is fucking awesome). If Epic says, "hey, buy this pass because you're going to get our awesome content at a 33% discount" then you can trust they have exciting content coming down the pipe.

But their first DLC is a disappointment. I don't know how one can see it any other way.

Xevren said:
Super reload would probably be the best one, that with infinite ammo will probably be the best 2 to get.
Awesome. I'm not too incredibly far off on getting super reload. I have 1900 active reloads. Might still take a good while though.

Vincent Alexander said:
Awesome. I'm not too incredibly far off on getting super reload. I have 1900 active reloads. Might still take a good while though.

...to get Super Reload, you have to get 100 kills with each of the 5 starting weapons.

I think you're confusing that with Must Active Reload.

dmg04 said:
How do you unlock infinite ammo? I think i already have it

100 Combat Engineer ribbons.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
RSTEIN said:
You know where the expectations come from? From playing Epic games for over 11 years. From playing Unreal, Unreal Tournament, UT2K4, Gears 1, and Gears 2. So you make the purchase with the trust that has been stored up based on how they've supported their previous games (which is fucking awesome). If Epic says, "hey, buy this pass because you're going to get our awesome content at a 33% discount" then you can trust they have exciting content coming down the pipe.

But their first DLC is a disappointment. I don't know how one can see it any other way.
I'm just saying you know you had plenty of time to buffer your purchase, so why WOULDN'T you even if your a hardcore fan? I think Epics one of the best studios around but I really don't have points to burn to make blind loyalty purchases because shit like this is inevitable.

Just beat Horde on insane with 4 friends and with instagib and super reload and I have to admit, it was almost too easy. Too easy as in we were all kinda disappointed about how easy it really gets with the mutatorsturned on.

I think if you stun them at any time during their current life you'll incur a penalty when they end up dying. Pretty stupid if you ask me.

Of course, this wouldn't be the weirdest thing that happened in this game. My teammate once threw a frag at digger on Checkout when the other team was picking up digger and I was killed. I was at the sniper perch with no enemies around me. No enemies were killed even though the frag was right on top of two of them.

Which reminds me...I'm annoyed that you can't detonate both frags simultaneously.

Robot Pants

dmg04 said:
Did they nerf the fucking gas grenades?
I pegged someone IN THE FACE - no kill. :|

I threw an ink at a guy running at me with the sawed-off and it stunned ME, and he ran right through it and killed me.
Good game.

quickwhips

Just got done playing some private games with Team Kills on and CTL. This shit is amazing to see you save the leader and then your friend rushes with sos and blast them and downs their own leader. LOL. I encourage anyone to try this.

another note i wish private games would randomize teams. :(

malfcn

Q: Why are they not playable in public Versus multiplayer?
A: It is a dedicated server issue.
Q: If entering a public Horde match, will we be able to pick DLC maps if the host has the maps but not all players do?
A: Yes, they are playable because they are not on dedicated servers,

Eh?

quickwhips

mickcenary said:
Mantle kicks are sketchy as, bro. We used to be coo de la, but now we ain't coo de la.

i don't know I downed two guys tonight on checkout and bam mantle kicked both like a bad ass. Feels Good or something like that. Like a double rainbow but better.

malfcn

Mantling is weird. Sometimes my dude will just ring around the mantle instead of going over it. Then there is the issue of it not kicking, or you successfully kick and *you* get downed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom