• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 3 |OT| BROTHERS TO THE END

Status
Not open for further replies.
see5harp said:
I got through Act 4 on insane last night in Arcade mode with zero modifiers. That was pretty tough at times.
True story: the very first polyp in killed all four of us in the first time I played Insane with my 3 buddies.

zlatko

Banned
Willeth said:
I actually might be. I was going to save this Grenadier for trade for a green skin but it looks like I might be able to get one somewhere else. Watch this space.

Awesome. Watching that space like a hawk. PM me. :)

LosDaddie

Banned
_dementia said:
True story: the very first polyp in killed all four of us in the first time I played Insane with my 3 buddies.

That is why I'm only going to do Insane with mutators on. I like a challenge, but I don't want hours & hours of frustration.

see5harp

_dementia said:

It wasn't that bad for us until the sequence in front of the building with the shitloads of lambent. By the end of that sequence our entire 4 person party had retreated back so far that we couldn't move back any farther. The main issue in arcade mode for me is that you just don't have enough ammo but I do like the scoring and multiplier stuff. Actually the sequence where you fight the 4 armorered Kantus and the 2 cerapedes was also pretty insane. Cerapedes are a lot tougher on Insane.

MjFrancis

LosDaddie said:
This weekend will be different though. My ladies are out of town and I have the whole house to myself. It's going to be a Gears3
and football
Weekend.
That's how you do it... dedicate an entire day to Gears! Perfect rainy day game.

I wish I could be on for the rest of your campaign run, but it just hasn't been working out for me. Hearing that other folk are having trouble on Insane doesn't surprise me with what I have experienced. Doing an Insane run on 1) Arcade mode and 2) with as many mutators as possible seem like the easiest way to go about it. Wouldn't hurt to have one person on Normal as point man, but that may be overkill with points one and two.

For me, it's always the high-blast radius projectiles that get me in Insane. Almost no exceptions.

Miggytronz

LosDaddie said:
Thanks for joining me last night. Seeing how easily Mikas was dying last night only confirms that I'm not even attempting my Insane campaign run without mutators. :lol

No problem. I was just getting really annoyed by 1-2 hit wreches coming in 2-3 right at me. Shit sucked.

Gonna grind out versus to get my Super Reload Mutator.

DRE Fei

Some of these onyx medal requirements are insane. This seriously 3.0 achievement is the craziest thing ever. I'm not expecting another gears game for a while, so I guess it makes sense in a weird way.

btw, I have a green skin code if anyone wants to trade.

KaYotiX

Banned
DRE Fei said:
Some of these onyx medal requirements are insane. This seriously 3.0 achievement is the craziest thing ever. I'm not expecting another gears game for a while, so I guess it makes sense in a weird way.

btw, I have a green skin code if anyone wants to trade.
I'm expecting nobody to get it for awhile....a few of those medal challenges are just plain stupid and then to get onyx? Eeeeesh

see5harp

I was thinking about heading to Jack in the Box and trying one more time. Probably won't buy anymore food but I won a Sour Dough Jack and some Churros in the last attempt. I really want to help people out with the green skin but a large drink is nearly $2.50 and if I get another Ass Creed theme that'll be it.

Grisby

_dementia said:
I think you have an addiction :(

I'm feeling that way. I've got Dark Souls and the UC3 Mp on my triple and all I'm thinking about is Gears, Gears, Gears.

Of course, it helps that in the first area of DS some skeletons killed me in about two hits therefore inducing some pouting which lead to more Gears.

zlatko

Banned
Oh I almost forgot for those wanting to trade skins and stuff:

I have Team Fortress 2 items I'd be willing to trade for a Savage Grenadier MP skin.

Of course like I mentioned I have the L.A. Noire Consul's Car traffic case DLC code for trade too.

PM if interested. :)

LowParry

see5harp said:
I was thinking about heading to Jack in the Box and trying one more time. Probably won't buy anymore food but I won a Sour Dough Jack and some Churros in the last attempt. I really want to help people out with the green skin but a large drink is nearly $2.50 and if I get another Ass Creed theme that'll be it.

Psh, I'd paypal that 2.50 right on back for a skin. lol

dagZ

I'm willing to trade adam fenix code for green liquid skin pack! Pm me! willing to pay with paypal for it too!

or if anyone is generous, and has an extra, that would be awesome!

see5harp

CyReN said:

I don't agree with him here. He doesn't seem to touch either Horde, Beast or Multiplayer and while I do agree with him in some way about the campaign narrative (I don't think Resistance 3 is any better in that respect though), I'm having more fun playing Gears 3 than any game for a good while. How can you call Gears 3 a brown game?

Grisby said:
I'm feeling that way. I've got Dark Souls and the UC3 Mp on my triple and all I'm thinking about is Gears, Gears, Gears.

Of course, it helps that in the first area of DS some skeletons killed me in about two hits therefore inducing some pouting which lead to more Gears.

Despite having a blast with the game, I quit Dead Island about 30 hours in to play Gears and haven't gone back since. I also picked up Dark Souls and not even that can tear me away from Gears which is insane considering how much I loved Demons Souls and how much I have been looking forward to its spiritual successor. I'll probably play for a few hours this weekend but Gears will definitely drag me back in. I'm sure of it.

I don't know what's going to happen when Skyrim comes out but it's not looking good for my backlog....

Red

Started playing this last night and pulled a five hour session to get halfway through chapter four. What a brilliant game.

I never liked Gears 1, but really enjoyed 2, and am really happy to see 3 continues that upward trend in quality. As an aside, I've been playing through Gears 1 on PC recently and was blown away by how much UE3 has improved since then. It's quite literally like a full generation of difference, and I can't think of any other series which has improved so much visually across a single console. Even 60fps and AA can't save Gears 1.

DRE Fei

Honestly, most of the skins in the game aren't really that cool to begin with. IMO, the majority of that stuff should be unlockable for free in some way. The amount of content that's locked away is ridiculous, but whatever.

K' Dash

LosDaddie said:
Thanks for joining me last night. Seeing how easily Mikas was dying last night only confirms that I'm not even attempting my Insane campaign run without mutators. :lol

Welcome to the club. I'm still trying to finish the campaign for the first time. I'm able to get in ~1.5hrs each night

This weekend will be different though. My ladies are out of town and I have the whole house to myself. It's going to be a Gears3
and football
Weekend.

Gears Weeeeekeeeeeend, my GF will be visiting her aunts, I'll have all the weekend to myself, I'm gonna play Gears till my eyes bleeeed!

Shame I won't be getting Dark Souls till monday, it'd have been Gears/Souls Weekend.

MjFrancis said:
This constantly gets stuck in my head. Much more than "LOOK AT ALL DAT JUICE."

Hey Francis, haven't seen you in a while, I hope you can join us, last night I had to play horde with random quitters and fuck me it is a waste of time.

Crunched said:
Started playing this last night and pulled a five hour session to get halfway through chapter four. What a brilliant game.

I never liked Gears 1, but really enjoyed 2, and am really happy to see 3 continues that upward trend in quality. As an aside, I've been playing through Gears 1 on PC recently and was blown away by how much UE3 has improved since then. It's quite literally like a full generation of difference, and I can't think of any other series which has improved so much visually across a single console. Even 60fps and AA can't save Gears 1.
I felt visually, Gears 1 -> Gears 2 was a bigger leap in engine tech, but it sure is amazing to see how much UE3 has improved.

-PXG-

see5harp said:
I don't agree with him here. He doesn't seem to touch either Horde, Beast or Multiplayer and while I do agree with him in some way about the campaign narrative (I don't think Resistance 3 is any better in that respect though), I'm having more fun playing Gears 3 than any game for a good while. How can you call Gears 3 a brown game?

You actually take Yahtzee seriously?

Ballistik

I need the last act on campaign on insane, haven't used any mutators so far. Thanks see5sharp for the help yesterday on Act 4. I don't think it's REALLY hard, I just die a lot because I get impatient!

Red

_dementia said:
I felt visually, Gears 1 -> Gears 2 was a bigger leap in engine tech, but it sure is amazing to see how much UE3 has improved.
The lighting and use of color elevate it higher imo. Sure 1 > 2 was a big technical jump, but Gears 3 is where they finally nail it.

Seems to have learned a bit from Bulletstorm as well.

see5harp

Ballistik said:
I need the last act on campaign on insane, haven't used any mutators so far. Thanks see5sharp for the help yesterday on Act 4. I don't think it's REALLY hard, I just die a lot because I get impatient!

No prob. I picked up some collectibles and random stuff that helped me along too. I don't think it's hard if everyone is on the same page, but that room with the cerapedes and armored kantuses was sorta getting to me. I don't like the way you just respawn in harm's way.

K' Dash

Ballistik said:

I saw See5harp playing with you yesterday, but i really wanted to play Horde, I can help you get thru act 5 after I help LosDaddie with his campaign if you want, around 10:30-11pm EST

OrangeOak

Crunched said:
The lighting and use of color elevate it higher imo. Sure 1 > 2 was a big technical jump, but Gears 3 is where they finally nail it.

Seems to have learned a bit from Bulletstorm as well.

I agree,there is pretty big jump in character models,animations and details,lighting is also much better not to mention great object and camera motion blur.
Gears 2 introduced ssao which was really poor,and some imroved lighting but it was really flat.

Ballistik

K' Dash said:
I saw See5harp playing with you yesterday, but i really wanted to play Horde, I can help you get thru act 5 after I help LosDaddie with his campaign if you want, around 10:30-11pm EST
I doubt I'll be on by then, I have some stuff to do. Probably get on 10 PST if I do. I can postpone it until Sunday afternoon if you really want to help (Or if I don't get anybody to help me) . I'll have plenty of time then.

K' Dash

Ballistik said:
I doubt I'll be on by then, I have some stuff to do. Probably get on 10 PST if I do. I can postpone it until Sunday afternoon if you really want to help (Or if I don't get anybody to help me) . I'll have plenty of time then.

This weekend will be all Gears 3, unless I get Dark Souls on friday, wich seems unlikely at this point, so, I'll join you if I see you.

MjFrancis

K' Dash said:
Hey Francis, haven't seen you in a while, I hope you can join us, last night I had to play horde with random quitters and fuck me it is a waste of time.
If I'm on at all tonight it will be before 6:00pm PST or after 8:00pm PST. It's not looking too likely, unfortunately. I'm not playing any other video game right now, but when I do, it's Gears. :)

I can't wait for a good horde match, either, hoping to go from 1-50 this weekend maybe. I've only played ten waves so far, lol. Beast mode or campaign has been 90% of my playtime so far.

K' Dash

MjFrancis said:
If I'm on at all tonight it will be before 6:00pm PST or after 8:00pm PST. It's not looking too likely, unfortunately. I'm not playing any other video game right now, but when I do, it's Gears. :)

I can't wait for a good horde match, either, hoping to go from 1-50 this weekend maybe. I've only played ten waves so far, lol. Beast mode or campaign has been 90% of my playtime so far.

Dude, Horde is the best, so much fun with friends, Join me if you get on tonight!

I'd be playing horde tonight. Unfortunately I have a huge certification exam coming up on the 29th. Friday night is my "quick break" time during the week after work. Thus why I am scheduling out for Friday.

After that test, I have no problem helping other GAFers with horde mode random nights.

TRios Zen

The Fast Food gods must have recognized my devotion to them by rewarding me with the Green Liquid Metal skins on the first large drink I bought. Cool.

Not at home though, anyone know what they look like?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom