• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 3 |OT| BROTHERS TO THE END

Status
Not open for further replies.

h3ro

Raxus said:
I had Warzone running all night. I have to be close to getting a few more Onyx's. I have 4 so far. Just AFKing other gametypes will earn me several more and I am on the cusp to getting onyx on all my beast mode medals (except for here comes the heavies, gonna have to boost for that sadly).
Whats the setup for this?

dankir

Raxus said:
I had Warzone running all night. I have to be close to getting a few more Onyx's. I have 4 so far. Just AFKing other gametypes will earn me several more and I am on the cusp to getting onyx on all my beast mode medals (except for here comes the heavies, gonna have to boost for that sadly).

Seriously?

It's just a 100G play the game instead!?@!?

Plasmid

Raxus said:

I wanna do this for warzone, execution etc (types i'll never play) but i'm worried keeping an xbox on for 20-40 hours will kill my electricity bill lmao.

zlatko

Banned
Plasmid said:
I wanna do this for warzone, execution etc (types i'll never play) but i'm worried keeping an xbox on for 20-40 hours will kill my electricity bill lmao.

More like kill you 360 if it isn't a Slim. That's usually a quick ticket to RROD city.

dmg04

#DEADWRONG
Plasmid said:
I'm not going to lie; I really want to do this for Wingman. I honestly can't stand that gametype.

Raxus

Plasmid said:
Yeah, I just leave my controller plugged in and turn my TV off and take cover at the start of the first match (might as well work towards the buttoned up medal). If you play as a female you earn the femme fatale medal, last man standing medal (game MUST be filled with bots), matches played, matches won, warzone, execution, wingman, koth, and TDM medals, are all easier because of it. If you play for the one man up rule you can set the timer to one minute and avoid the hit to your K/D ratio (but miss out on a lot of easy last man standing ribbons). The only mode you ACTUALLY have to play is CTL because you need to earn the annoying untouchable ribbons as well as the pistol/hostage kills as well (and headshots if you have good aim).

Raxus

h3ro said:
Match setup.

Onyxes.
Private
Bots: Insane (or casual if you want to play and start earning weapon ribbons so you don't have to use the retro or SOS online)
Time limit 1 minute ideally, if you want the Last Man Out medal then 3 minutes should do.
Rounds: 1 (5 for CTL otherwise you will never be the leader)

I haven't tried AFK'ing CTL but I assume it is next to impossible to earn the Untouchable ribbon medal that way so it is the only game mode you have to play (at first) to earn the medals for.

Raxus

I would like to add at 3 minute rounds (one round per match) you can complete 300-400 matches in ~6 hours. If you set it to 1 minute I am sure you can complete MUCH more than that. So if you are worried it will tax your 360 just leave it on overnight and then turn it off during the day.

zlatko

Banned
Gears of War 3 |OT| Raxus Talking To Himself God Damn!

:p Just edit out posts man. Triple posting is crazy. CRAAAAAAAAAZY! Only a person willingly going for Seriously 3.0 would be crazy enough to triple post though, so it all makes sense now. :O

dmg04

#DEADWRONG
zlatko said:
Gears of War 3 |OT| Raxus Talking To Himself God Damn!

:p Just edit out posts man. Triple posting is crazy. CRAAAAAAAAAZY! Only a person willingly boosting for Seriously 3.0 would be crazy enough to triple post though, so it all makes sense now. :O
Fixed that for you ;)

zlatko

Banned
dmg04 said:
Fixed that for you ;)

I suppose going for it over the years as you just play and have fun is whatever, but yeah right from the get go boosting for virtual internet points is a concept lost on me.

No offense at Raxus, but if I saw someone with 3.0 within the first year of this games release I'm not going to be "impressed," but just feel like WOW this guy has no life... or at least shit priorities in their life to carve out that much time and focus on 100G.

Different strokes for different folks and all that, but grinding anything has always been lost on me in games. You're no longer playing the game at that point I feel. :/

Rod told us what the new achievements tied to DLC 1 will be. For a total of 250G:

- Host a Horde game on one of the new maps with a full party of five (25G)
- Host a Beast game on one of the new maps with a full party of five (25G)
- Upgrade the Silverback and use rockets (50G)
- Upgrade your Command Center and use the Hammer of Dawn support strike (50G)
- Defeat any Horde boss wave on Hardcore difficulty playing as a party of 5 Onyx Guards (100G)

Pushing the social aspect of Horde it seems, and securing that you nag your 4 Horde buddies to buy the DLC so they can get the 100G achievement. Heh.

Korosenai

Since the four of those achievements are obtainable without actually knowing four people, anyone up for getting the onyx guard achievement?

K' Dash

Doctor West said:
Where is the fun in leaving your 360 running all night though?

Glad I don't give a shit about achievements, but I do give a shit about enjoyment, and this game is very enjoyable under the right circunstamces.

-PXG-

zlatko said:
Nice! Got pics of the Gnasher with Gold Omen? I think that's the skin I'll use on mine over my Chrome once I get it.

Uc0Hd.jpg

Gold Omen Hammerburst and Onyx Gnasher.

Congrats PXG, you beat the multiplayer portion of this year's most anticipated game in less than a month. :p

How many points did you need to reach 100?

-PXG-

Seth Balmore said:
Congrats PXG, you beat the multiplayer portion of this year's most anticipated game. :p

How many points did you need to reach 100?

From 99-100 it was 93,500 points. I didn't keep track as to how many you needed at every interval. I do remember the it increasing by increments of 1,500, though I don't know when that starts.

It's very easy to level up in this game. KoTH and TDM is where the points are at, even more so in Ranked. Add in ribbons and medals and you'll go up fast, especially 1-50.

Epic should make it harder. It's too damn easy. Gears 2 was a challenge and getting 100 (without bonuses) was a feat.

zlatko said:
Oh is the Gold Omen only for rifles and not for Gnasher/SOS?

You get the Gold Omen for all five weapons. I prefer Onyx for my Gnasher, since I worked hard to get it. Gears 3, not nearly as difficult. Gold Omen won't be so special. Onyx skins, maybe, but you can grind that shit out in Private matches against bots, which I didn't do. I got mine the hard way...

Dug said:
Is that...animated?

Onyx is, Gold Omen is static.

zlatko

Banned
Ah okay. Any chance you'd do me the little favor of snapping a pic of Gnasher with the Gold Omen? Looks sort of like someone smeared south west sauce on the hammerburst, so I wanted to see if it looks better on the shotty.

Korosenai

How many total matches have you played?

I'm a 68 and I think i've played around 350-380. Just wondering how much longer it's going to take me.

-PXG-

zlatko said:
Ah okay. Any chance you'd do me the little favor of snapping a pic of Gnasher with the Gold Omen? Looks sort of like someone smeared south west sauce on the hammerburst, so I wanted to see if it looks better on the shotty.

I will later tonight. About to cook me some homemade tacos :)

tsigo

I need 3 people to do just the final boss on Insane with Super Reload and Infinite Ammo so I can close out those achievements/medals. Who's up?

Untracked

TDM Spawn Protection needs knocking down a bit IMO. I'd say 3 seconds max.
Had a few games tonight on Checkout where dudes spawn behind team-mates and fuck them up due to being invincible for just a wee bit too long.

ZROCOOL

aka II VerTigo II
COD players shitting up gears today. Hell I'm thinking about dropping the game for good.

And yes I mean camping,retro lancer,and sos.

-PXG-

ZROCOOL said:
COD players shitting up gears today. Hell I'm thinking about dropping the game for good.

Holy shit man :(

SOS users and campers are really starting to get on my nerves. Epic really needs to do something about it.

We REALLY need a Classic playlist. Something that gets rid of the SOS altogether. It's such a bummy, scrubby lame as weapon. I feel robbed whenever I get killed, which is either from behind or from a distance where I know I shouldn't be killed from. It's just plain stupid. There is no other way to describe it.

Even worse are those who talk shit and think they're good when all they do is camp with it. I want to see them graduate from their shotgun with training wheels and step up to a big boy's gun and see them get utterly destroyed. That's how it should be. Vets from 2006 shouldn't be outplayed by someone who just picked up the game two weeks ago with a weapon a five year old could use. It doesn't make any sense. `

I'd rather get chainsawed and two pieced a thousand times than ever get killed by a SOS.

zlatko

Banned
-PXG- said:

SOS users and campers are really starting to get on my nerves. Epic really needs to do something about it.

We REALLY need a Classic playlist. Something that gets rid of the SOS altogether. It's such a bummy, scrubby lame as weapon. I feel robbed whenever I get killed, which is either from behind or from a distance where I know I shouldn't be killed from. It's just plain stupid. There is no other way to describe it.

Even worse are those who talk shit and think they're good when all they do is camp with it.

As much as I hate the current state of that weapon in the game, and I want a classic playlist too, I think my first and foremost thing to be begging EPIC for is constant dedicated servers. Everything else is just fluff, because fixing SOS/classic playlist means diddly to me if 9/10 games I pop on one guy host stomps another team and I get traumatic flashbacks to Gears of War 2. :(

OrangeOak

-PXG- said:

Even worse are those who talk shit and think they're good when all they do is camp with it. I want to see them graduate from their shotgun with training wheels and step up to a big boy's gun and see them get utterly destroyed. That's how it should be. Vets from 2006 shouldn't be outplayed by someone who just picked up the game two weeks ago with a weapon a five year old could use. It doesn't make any sense. `

I'd rather get chainsawed and two pieced a thousand times than ever get killed by a SOS.

Imagine playing on Blood drive ,they will be waiting for you behind every corner :D !

zlatko

Banned
OrangeOak said:
Imagine playing on Blood drive ,they will be waiting for you behind every corner :D !

As well as frag grenades, and an army of hammerbursts await you on their steps to down you in 3 shots. :/ That map is going to blow chunks in Gears 3.

-PXG-

Ezenzer said:
What's wrong with the retro?

Active Retro up close is beastly. It downs you in a split second. You have absolutely no time to react to it. Any other weapon (besides the SOS) gives you some time to counter.

Robot Pants

I'm with you guys on the SOS. I hadn't had much of a problem with it in the first week or so, but now it's getting really absurd. They need to fix the range on that thing immediately.
I would prefer they just got rid of it all together, but that's not gonna happen. Epic has proven to be extremely stubborn with their "great ideas". I think the most we can hope for is a Classic Playlist. But between that, the DLCs, and all the regular modes, the community is gonna be split big time.

-PXG- said:
Active Retro up close is beastly. It downs you in a split second. You have absolutely no time to react to it. Any other weapon (besides the SOS) gives you some time to counter.
Sounds like I have found my new rifle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom