• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 3 |OT| BROTHERS TO THE END

Status
Not open for further replies.

-PXG-

Lancer and Gnasher

SYA8y.jpg

zlatko

Banned
_dementia said:
Looks alright on the Gnasher.

My thoughts exactly. Still feeling chrome, and ultimately wishing that EPIC puts up Ivory for sale one day.

Still weird that the only skin color I would gladly pay for is one that is only available to EPIC to use. :(

Thanks again PXG for taking the time to snap those up. :)

Fuck it, from now on, I'm gonna join the sawed-off club. Unless Epic fixes this POS I'm gonna abuse this beast just as everbody else does. Sick of dieing without getting one kill.l If I equip the SOS, at least I'm even.

Swanky PXG. Kinda looks like a gold sticker on the gun instead of paint. Maybe that's just me though.

I don't mind the Retro, for the simple reason that if you're not up close, it's incredibly difficult to deal damage with it. So my selecting it, you're basically limiting yourself to two short-range weapons, and leaving yourself vulnerable at long-range. Seems like a fair trade-off to me.

And unlike the SOS, you actually have to aim the fucker, even if it's in a general direction.

Unlocked the Onyx Lancer. It just looks black to me?

I run with the Team Insignia Lancer, and the Red Omen Gnasher.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Yeah, Rod tweeted that dedicated servers will be down to add even more of them.

Also what you can't see in the Golden Omen skins is that the tips of the guns are gold-plated as well...

Still love my sexy Liquid Green Metal skins though - some bastard that killed me from behind was actually looking at my gun on the ground as I was waiting to respawn, I ran back to the same spot and blasted him away. Haven't ran into anyone else with them so far yet either.

Bazhard

Banned
How is horde/coop? i picked up the epic edition for $50 today because of stacked up reward points and im wondering if i should keep it and play it or return it.

Haven't turn on the ol' xbox in about a year so i have nobody play with, can you do public coop searches? like halo 3 did?

quickwhips

P2P sucks god I'm still winning but to much crap that shouldn't. I just want a message stating when dedicated servers are down and I'll think this is perfect game.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
-PXG- said:
Vets from 2006 shouldn't be outplayed by someone who just picked up the game two weeks ago with a weapon a five year old could use.
Newsflash: it's not 2006, it's 2011. The game you're paying is not gears 2, it's gears 3.

We have a whole new set of weapons to use: oneshot, digger, poison nades, and the SOS. If you don't like em don't play the game.

If your name is REV 09 and you're all like "RSTEIN has a higher kdr than me just because he uses the SOS" then you need to look in the mirror and ask yourself if you have the skills to compete with the new generation of Gears players. They're here to stay, the SOS ain't going away. People like REV 09 hate others instead of looking within...where the real problems are.

Bazhard said:
How is horde/coop? i picked up the epic edition for $50 today because of stacked up reward points and im wondering if i should keep it and play it or return it.

Haven't turn on the ol' xbox in about a year so i have nobody play with, can you do public coop searches? like halo 3 did?
Co-op is even better than Halo. It has drop-in play at any time.

-PXG-

RSTEIN said:
Newsflash: it's not 2006, it's 2011. The game you're paying is not gears 2, it's gears 3.

We have a whole new set of weapons to use: oneshot, digger, poison nades, and the SOS. If you don't like em don't play the game.

If your name is REV 09 and you're all like "RSTEIN has a higher kdr than me just because he uses the SOS" then you need to look in the mirror and ask yourself if you have the skills to compete with the new generation of Gears players. They're here to stay, the SOS ain't going away. People like REV 09 hate others instead of looking within...where the real problems are.

Is it so much to ask for a Classic Playlist then? That's all I really want. Epic can leave the SOS as is for all I care. Just give me a mode without it.

Also, most SOS users have TERRIBLE (anything below a 1.0) K/Ds for two reasons

1) They're just bad at the game
2) They rush in blindly, kamikaze style, therefore, they die...A LOT

You're meaning to tell me that the 13 year olds and the droves of Call of Duty numbskulls are actually better than me at this game? Give me a break. They're better because they camp, hide, and blast me with a gun with a misleadingly massive range...Yeah...okay.

Every single person in this thread and anyone who has played the game can attest to being bullshitted by SOS multiple times a day. It's not just me. It's not just a few people. It's A LOT.

Come on man.

dmg04

#DEADWRONG
If SOS players have less than a 1.0 K/D, then what's the big issue? They're obviously dying more than killing ;)

WENT TO JACK IN THE BOX AGAIN
and

no
fucking
win.

Got a 5% off gamestop used game.

And now i'm done eating Jackinthebox for every meal of the day. Sorry i couldn't get more codes out to you folks. Hope the 2 that did get them enjoy them :)

Jaguar

PXG what happened to your mic just now? Couldn't hear you for two matches.

Anyways, the sawed-off is a complete pain in the ass to deal with. I know if SOS users were forced to use Gnashers, matches wouldn't even be close. Real Gears players can't shine right now because the sawed-off just destroys anything in close range, without having to aim.

Something needs to be done to the SOS. Either reduce the spread, the range, or lock the weapon from people after they pass level 30/40. I'll settle for a classic playlist too.

Xamdou

Skilotonn said:
Yeah, Rod tweeted that dedicated servers will be down to add even more of them.

Also what you can't see in the Golden Omen skins is that the tips of the guns are gold-plated as well...

Still love my sexy Liquid Green Metal skins though - some bastard that killed me from behind was actually looking at my gun on the ground as I was waiting to respawn, I ran back to the same spot and blasted him away. Haven't ran into anyone else with them so far yet either.

I couldn't stop boasting about how awesome my Liquid Metal skins looked, it looks amazing!

-PXG-

Jaguar said:
PXG what happened to your mic just now? Couldn't hear you for two matches.

Anyways, the sawed-off is a complete pain in the ass to deal with. I know if SOS users were forced to use Gnashers, matches wouldn't even be close. Real Gears players can't shine right now because the sawed-off just destroys anything in close range, without having to aim.

Something needs to be done to the SOS. Either reduce the spread, the range, or lock the weapon from people after they pass level 30/40. I'll settle for a classic playlist too.

I wasn't talking :p

-PXG-

Ballistik said:
I don't care what year it is! No SOS playlist? I'd be on it 24/7.

Word.

I mean, Gears 3 is great, but the SOS is holding it back from being amazing. I was hoping that this game would allow truly skilled players to show off their stuff, but the SOS really holds people back. That range is nothing to mess with. Every corner and every nook is a potential place to get blasted. It's irritating as hell. It's like wall tagging and two piecing combined and multiplied by a thousand. At least the game actually works this time, even on P2P.

Oh, and Epic needs to stop making maps that involve high grounds. The first team to get up their with their Lancers pretty much wins. Epic should hire pro players and griefers for their QA staff to do some proper testing. They clearly didn't test them enough. You can spawn trap people so easily in this game, it's not even funny..or is it fair.

Anyway, I still manage to win a vast majority of my games and have a solid K/D, but I still hate the SOS. I'd win a lot more and die a lot less if it weren't for the SOS and the pussy ass campy style it encourages.

-PXG- said:
Active Retro up close is beastly. It downs you in a split second. You have absolutely no time to react to it. Any other weapon (besides the SOS) gives you some time to counter.
Yup, it's ridiculous.

I've never liked the idea of getting more powerful shots because of a perfect active reload. Reloading quicker is reward enough, but that's obviously not going to change now.

dmg04

#DEADWRONG
AndyMoogle said:
Yup, it's ridiculous.

I've never liked the idea of getting more powerful shots because of a perfect active reload. Reloading quicker is reward enough, but that's obviously not going to change now.
Not to mention the extra ammo after doing the perfect reload

Ramirez

Throw me in the SOS haters club, but I've been there since the beta...

Barring a classic playlist, I'll be putting Gears 3 down once BF3/CEA hit, and mostly because of that one weapon, I really enjoy the game aside from it, a shame really.

zlatko

Banned
Ramirez said:
Throw me in the SOS haters club, but I've been there since the beta...

Barring a classic playlist, I'll be putting Gears 3 down once BF3/CEA hit, and mostly because of that one weapon, I really enjoy the game aside from it, a shame really.

The weapon is probably 40% of the reason I'll put it down once BF3 hits, but the other 60% is the dedicated servers basically having like 72 hours total of run time since its release, and the rest has been peer to peer.

It's the usual EPIC/Cliff B mentality of being stubborn fucks that fucks up Gears games until it's sort of too late. We complain about active reloads in Gears 1, and don't get a fix until Gears 2. We complain about lack of beta/dedi's for Gears 2, and don't get them till Gears 3. We bitch about SOS, and the dedi's not being up all the time.... see you in Gears of War 4. :/

Red

Just finished it.

What the hell are they trying to pull with the
Myrrha tease

But who am I kidding, the story and storytelling in Gears has been laughably bad since day one. The presentation is always great, and the artists behind Sera should be paid dividends for the world they created. But the writers... my god, where do they find these people.

Great game though. Lots of fun.

-PXG-

Crunched said:
Just finished it.

What the hell are they trying to pull with the
Myrrha tease

But who am I kidding, the story and storytelling in Gears has been laughably bad since day one. The presentation is always great, and the artists behind Sera should be paid dividends for the world they created. But the writers... my god, where do they find these people.

Great game though. Lots of fun.

Karen Traviss wrote the story for Gears 3.

Now that I've reached 100 and have received my Onyx Gnasher, part of me wants to take a break from the game. I'm by no means bored of tired of the game, I'm just sick the SOS. It's just so disheartening getting killed by it. Even when I'm very cautious, I still get killed. Not that often, but enough to make me feel cheated.

Red

-PXG- said:
Karen Traviss wrote the story for Gears 3.

Now that I've reached 100 and have received my Onyx Gnasher, part of me wants to take a break from the game. I'm by no means bored of tired of the game, I'm just sick the SOS. It's just so disheartening getting killed by it. Even when I'm very cautious, I still get killed. Not that often, but enough to make me feel cheated.
I saw Eric Nylund as writer during the end credits, and thought "no wonder."

Not heard of Karen Traviss, and if she's the one responsible for what I just played through I don't think I'll be looking into her in the future.

What's the SOS you guys keep talking about?

Nevermind, sawed off? Haven't played multi and only used it for one kill during the campaign.

The SOS has pretty much single-handedly ensured that I spend 90% of battles in Gears shooting at range from behind cover with a Lancer.

Why would I run past ANY corner with the knowledge that there's a one-hit-no-aim-kill possibly lurking behind it?

Why would I engage with ANY enemy at close range knowing that there is a good chance they hold a weapon that could annihilate me in a single shot, with no possible counter save MAYBE backrolling (and even that is 50/50 at best)?

If somebody wants to kill me, then can charge ME with the fucking SOS, and chances are I'll be playing so fucking cautiously, I'll see them coming from hundreds of feet away and put them down with a Lancer by then.

Wizman23

Banned
RSTEIN said:

Great fucking post!! So sick and tired of the SOS crybabies. You are right if they don't like it go back to Gears 1 and 2. SOS 4 LIFE.

Xamdou

Wizman23 said:
Great fucking post!! So sick and tired of the SOS crybabies. You are right if they don't like it go back to Gears 1 and 2. SOS 4 LIFE.

I hate the SOS, (instant close range kills) but I love the retro so I can't go back to Gears 1 and 2.

B3ASTMODE

Can someone clarify this for me?

to unlock the savage theron guard, do I need to go through beast mode on all difficulties or do I just need to beat it on insane?

bs000

Diablohead said:
I like how the gold omen is rather obvious, nice and big and golden :)

grats!

I wish more skins had that kind of coverage. I'd like the infected omen and rainbow skins alot more if they didn't cover just the very front of the guns.

reggie

Banned
The Antitype said:
The SOS has pretty much single-handedly ensured that I spend 90% of battles in Gears shooting at range from behind cover with a Lancer.
Uh, welcome to Gears of War? A third person COVER BASED shooter.

bs000 said:
I wish more skins had that kind of coverage. I'd like the infected omen and rainbow skins alot more if they didn't cover just the very front of the guns.
I bought team metal and so far it's a fave of mine, makes the guns look nice and metal plated plus it changes colour depending.

Infected omen is nice but too small, the pulse is extremely hard to see unless you spectate and standing player.

reggie said:
Uh, welcome to Gears of War? A third person pop out, press the R trigger in someone's general direction, then run away if you miss so you can hide behind another corner and try again shooter

Fixed for accuracy.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Shit, I wouldn't say SOS for life around here bruh. I even defended the SOS for being less bullshit than people make it out to be but c'mon son it's as big of a problem as the Gnasher was in previous gears games. Just like the Gnasher, the SOS is the new emergent go-to overpowered weapon. It just hasn't sank in for the time the Gnasher has and now people are split on the utility of the shotgun now that the shotgun isn't standardized. It still does interrupt the flow of combat like people have more descriptively stated in this thread and is therefore still an issue.

Nerf the Gnasher. Nerf the SOS even more. Boom, balanced AND universally enjoyable multiplayer game!

dmg04

#DEADWRONG
The Antitype said:
...And the Gnasher hasn't contributed to this at all?

I can't tell you how many Gnasher rushes i've stopped with my handy dandy lancer. [I'd say 50% gnasher, 50% SOS.]

Ballistik

enzo_gt said:
Shit, I wouldn't say SOS for life around here bruh. I even defended the SOS for being less bullshit than people make it out to be but c'mon son it's as big of a problem as the Gnasher was in previous gears games. Just like the Gnasher, the SOS is the new emergent go-to overpowered weapon. It just hasn't sank in for the time the Gnasher has and now people are split on the utility of the shotgun now that the shotgun isn't standardized. It still does interrupt the flow of combat like people have more descriptively stated in this thread and is therefore still an issue.

Nerf the Gnasher. Nerf the SOS even more. Boom, balanced AND universally enjoyable multiplayer game!
I think I see where this is going. Gears 4 will drop the Gnasher and make the SOS the new standard shotgun. Thus having a new generation of wall bouncers.

To counter it, they'll introduce a new gun that has a 360 degree firing range and twice the power of the current SOS.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
B3ASTMODE said:
Can someone clarify this for me?

to unlock the savage theron guard, do I need to go through beast mode on all difficulties or do I just need to beat it on insane?

do it on checkout, it's the easiest map in the game for beast.

I've done it twice now on Insane using mostly tickers.

zlatko

Banned
enzo_gt said:

Give the Gnasher stopping power, reduce the range on SOS, and make a spotting icon appear on anyone who is not moving from a spot for more than 5-7 seconds. This way we eliminate SOS dog bum rushes that kill you from so far, and if this guy CAN get that close through stopping power, then he earned it IMO. Now if they want to do their usual camp around corner idiocy, and not move at least 5+ feet for the 7 seconds they chill in one spot, then they give up their position for being a camping shit head.

:( I wish anyway. EPIC isn't listening and is too busy counting skin money and what kind of expensive cars they can purchase with the first DLC/season pass money.

dmg04

#DEADWRONG
zlatko said:
Give the Gnasher stopping power,
Do an active reload
reduce the range on SOS,
No
and make a spotting icon appear on anyone who is not moving from a spot for more than 5-7 seconds.
Is this a fucking joke?

This way we eliminate SOS dog bum rushes that kill you from so far, and if this guy CAN get that close through stopping power, then he earned it IMO. Now if they want to do their usual camp around corner idiocy, and not move at least 5+ feet for the 7 seconds they chill in one spot, then they give up their position for being a camping shit head.
I don't know about you guys, but i've had just as many 'omg bullshit' deaths from some guy camping with a gnasher in gears 1 and 2. This is getting fucking ridiculous. Think about it for a few seconds. How many times on say, Fuel Station, did you get blasted away because someone was hiding behind a box or next to a door with a gnasher? How many times have you been chasing someone and one of their team mates gibbed you with a gnasher? How many times have you personally stood behind a wall only to pop out and blow someone to bits with a gnasher?

Jesus christ people, it sounds like you've never played gears before! [<----joke]

:( I wish anyway. EPIC isn't listening and is too busy counting skin money and what kind of expensive cars they can purchase with the first DLC/season pass money.
I've said it before and i'll say it again- MS does pricing.

zlatko

Banned
dmg04 said:
Do an active reload
No
Is this a fucking joke?

I don't know about you guys, but i've had just as many 'omg bullshit' deaths from some guy camping with a gnasher in gears 1 and 2. This is getting fucking ridiculous. Think about it for a few seconds. How many times on say, Fuel Station, did you get blasted away because someone was hiding behind a box or next to a door with a gnasher? How many times have you been chasing someone and one of their team mates gibbed you with a gnasher? How many times have you personally stood behind a wall only to pop out and blow someone to bits with a gnasher?

Jesus christ people, it sounds like you've never played gears before! [<----joke]

I've said it before and i'll say it again- MS does pricing.

Active reload has stopping power on Gnasher? I thought it was just extra damage?

Yes. Reduce it's range. There's no reason you should have a weapon with that big of a spread, insta kill, and let it kill you from that far. An active reload on it should give you this range, but normal shots should have to be much closer.

No it isn't a fucking joke. Camping is stupid in all games, and it's even more frustrating in a game with a SOS. I'm not saying it should just work for SOS players, but anyone. So this would eliminate Gnasher campers you are experiencing too.

That was Gears 1 and 2. I'm dealing with issues with 3. I can safely attest to only a handful of deaths coming from someone around a corner with a Gnasher, and the fact is when that happens he had to be CLOSER for a kill AND have better aim than a SOS for it to be an instant kill. (Side note I think you mean Fuel Depot---not station)

Cool MS does pricing, did I mention pricing? No. I mentioned who is benefiting from money, and clearly I was meaning it in a sarcastic way. It was more of a poke to how Cliff basically bailed out of any more comments in these threads, because he can't handle criticism worth a shit, but loves getting pats on the back as well as praise.

How about he steps up, on here, twitter, or some other public outlet, and just write up his reasoning for why the SOS isn't getting a nerf, his feeling on the new flow of combat thanks to SOS campers around corners, why dedi's haven't been working damn near enough, his voice on the new maps not being in MP right away for public ranked games, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom