• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 3 |OT| BROTHERS TO THE END

Status
Not open for further replies.
zlatko said:
and make a spotting icon appear on anyone who is not moving from a spot for more than 5-7 seconds

Say that shit again, I dare you

Themostbadasspictureonwookieepedia.jpg

dmg04

#DEADWRONG
zlatko said:
Active reload has stopping power on Gnasher? I thought it was just extra damage?
Why need stopping power if 1 blast from a gnasher gives a full ring of damage or completely destroys the competition?
Yes. Reduce it's range. There's no reason you should have a weapon with that big of a spread, insta kill, and let it kill you from that far. An active reload on it should give you this range, but normal shots should have to be much closer.
I HATE playing the 'IRL' card, but it is a sawed off shotgun. It has 0 range, so use range against the damn thing. Don't get within melee range! :D

No it isn't a fucking joke. Camping is stupid in all games, and it's even more frustrating in a game with a SOS. I'm not saying it should just work for SOS players, but anyone. So this would eliminate Gnasher campers you are experiencing too.

That ways Gears 1 and 2. I'm dealing with issues with 3. I can safely attest to only a handful of deaths coming from someone around a corner with a Gnasher, and the fact is when that happens he had to be CLOSER for a kill AND have better aim than a SOS for it to be an instant kill.
I dunno, man. I think taking a breather behind a wall for 7 seconds is pretty good in a few cases

1. watching the boomshot on Gridlock after the game starts, waiting for the fool to rush without throwing a smoke or having a team mate cover

2. sniping - in any case

3. being the last dude in using any and all tactics to survive

Always knowing where your enemy is can be pretty lame at times. Also; having someone always know where you are can be EXTREMELY frustrating when trying to outsmart a team/create a trap/have some fucking fun

Cool MS does pricing, did I mention pricing? No.
Lol k, my bad. I'm just tired of people saying 'EPIC Y U TAKE ALL ME MONII?!' When in reality they weren't the ones who had the idea of 45 dollars for weapon stickers. <3

zlatko

Banned
LeonSKennedy90 said:
Say that shit again, I dare you

Themostbadasspictureonwookieepedia.jpg

and make a spotting icon appear on anyone who is not moving from a spot for more than 5-7 seconds

tumblr_lgbjamtiVV1qf8yek.gif

I don't like camping in any game. I'm not saying you shouldn't have a careful approach going from cover to cover, but if you are some asshole who on Hotel goes to sniper with a SOS, puts a smoke on one archway entrance, and sits at the bottom of the other waiting for a guy to come around a corner, then you are a piece of shit and mucking up the game.

unomas

Banned
It's amazing how everyone is so anti SOS now, even the good players who were gnasher for life are getting pissed. All I know is that since I've gone Retro/SOS my kd has gotten much better. I realized during the beta the SOS was bullshit, and now that I know how to use it I don't feel cheated as I get blasted. If you can't beat em join em.

dmg04

#DEADWRONG
zlatko said:
I don't like camping in any game. I'm not saying you shouldn't have a careful approach going from cover to cover, but if you are some asshole who on Hotel goes to sniper with a SOS, puts a smoke on one archway entrance, and sits at the bottom of the other waiting for a guy to come around a corner, then you are a piece of shit and mucking up the game.
COUNTERS TO SOMEONE PULLING THAT SILLY SHIT
1. team mates
2. smoke grenades
3. Digger/boomer
4. grenades in general [burn his sorry ass, or plant a frag at either side so when he tries to ebb out because he's bored of camping, he gets pooped on

RSTEIN said:
Newsflash: it's not 2006, it's 2011. The game you're paying is not gears 2, it's gears 3.

We have a whole new set of weapons to use: oneshot, digger, poison nades, and the SOS. If you don't like em don't play the game.

If your name is REV 09 and you're all like "RSTEIN has a higher kdr than me just because he uses the SOS" then you need to look in the mirror and ask yourself if you have the skills to compete with the new generation of Gears players. They're here to stay, the SOS ain't going away. People like REV 09 hate others instead of looking within...where the real problems are.

So we should just blindly accept changes to a gameplay formula that are clearly negative, purely in the name of 'evolution'?

Idiotic.

Should we have accepted the shitty lag and glitches in Gears of War 2 as well and badmouthed anybody who had a problem with them? Adapt or Die?

"And hey, if you don't like it, you can go back to playing GoW1 you noob!"

Laughable.

Broken gameplay is broken gameplay, whether you choose to take advantage of it or not.

zlatko

Banned
dmg04 said:
Why need stopping power if 1 blast from a gnasher gives a full ring of damage or completely destroys the competition?I HATE playing the 'IRL' card, but it is a sawed off shotgun. It has 0 range, so use range against the damn thing. Don't get within melee range! :D

I dunno, man. I think taking a breather behind a wall for 7 seconds is pretty good in a few cases

1. watching the boomshot on Gridlock after the game starts, waiting for the fool to rush without throwing a smoke or having a team mate cover

2. sniping - in any case

3. being the last dude in using any and all tactics to survive

Always knowing where your enemy is can be pretty lame at times. Also; having someone always know where you are can be EXTREMELY frustrating when trying to outsmart a team/create a trap/have some fucking fun

Lol k, my bad. I'm just tired of people saying 'EPIC Y U TAKE ALL ME MONII?!' When in reality they weren't the ones who had the idea of 45 dollars for weapon stickers. <3

Are you even playing the same game as me? The Gnasher doesn't even DO that shit anymore, and then for your second comment about SOS melee range... take a look at this video man.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLzJNkM6CLM

You make it sound like if I see a SOS dude coming at me like I move towards him, or want to engage close up, or I'm not backing up or calling for help or some other stupid shit. The fact is I shoot, roll back, he rolls forward, and WHAMO BLAMO I'm dead because of the video above illustrating the bull shit range. I'm sitting at a comfy 2.0 K/D, and the majority of my kills are from the Lancer, not my Gnasher, so I'm not stuck in some unable to adapt mindset. I'm in the gun clearly should not be fucking shooting me from that far with a fucking 1 shot kill camp. It's bull shit and anyone who wants to defend the range in THAT video I have nothing to debate with you about.

As for my idea about spotting campers it isn't even a necessary one if they just reduce the SOS range. As it is now going towards the corner with its long range = death. With reduced range it would alleviate it a great deal.

zlatko said:

1.Detonate his smoke grenade with your own
2.Move in with retro/gnasher
3.Fuck his day up?

Suck less.

dmg04

#DEADWRONG
zlatko said:
You make it sound like if I see a SOS dude coming at me like I move towards him, or want to engage close up, or I'm not backing up or calling for help or some other stupid shit. The fact is I shoot, roll back, he rolls forward, and WHAMO BLAMO I'm dead because of the video above illustrating the bull shit range. I'm sitting at a comfy 2.0 K/D, and the majority of my kills are from the Lancer, not my Gnasher, so I'm not stuck in some unable to adapt mindset. I'm in the gun clearly should not be fucking shooting me from that far with a fucking 1 shot kill camp. It's bull shit and anyone who wants to defend the range in THAT video I have nothing to debate with you about.
As for my idea about spotting campers it isn't even a necessary one if they just reduce the SOS range. As it is now going towards the corner with its long range = death. With reduced range it would alleviate it a great deal.
I'm not making it sound like that; I'm making it sound like you aren't changing your playstyle or trying to predict this shit, and that's why you're mad bro.

Don't get me wrong - Really - I fucking HATE dying by the SOS. But at the same time, i love scrambling his guts with my lancer chainsaw.

Go back like 30 pages, you will more than likely see me saying 'OMG SOS BULLSHIT'

since then i've been "adapting", so to speak, and fucking people up if they even try to SOS me.

Korosenai

I hate it when me and my buddy are using lancers and gnashers, trying to use skill, trying to get downs and win in every game. But then you have these lame sos users who top the leaderboards because they camp behind cover and use nothing but it. I feel cheated when i'm using the gnasher and barely going positive, and then you have these sos users going 9-0.

zlatko

Banned
dmg04 said:
COUNTERS TO SOMEONE PULLING THAT SILLY SHIT
1. team mates
2. smoke grenades
3. Digger/boomer
4. grenades in general [burn his sorry ass, or plant a frag at either side so when he tries to ebb out because he's bored of camping, he gets pooped on

Give me your perfect edition of the game. It's not like I'm unaware of these, but let's go over each one.

1. team mates. He has them too. What if each side has a SOS dude? What if you and your team mate go on same side against this 1 SOS guy? Oh yeah his gun can GIB TWO FUCKS AT ONCE CUZ OF THE GIANT SPREAD.

2. Smoke nades. He can roll back. He can rush if he see's you pull it out. Smoke is an advantage to him. Why? When the smoke is up I can't see him and guess what a SOS player doesn't need? Vision of you. He can just let the trigger rock and run off.

3. Digger/boomer. Of course power weapons should beat out starting weapons, no one argues that. The issue is getting them in the first place. Anyone with half a brain who's been around the block with Gears knows to win is to control power weapons.

4. Burn grenades require aim/precision. Fucked up tosses = rushed and dead. Planted frags require him to move, and you'd be surprised as hell to experience some of the fucks I run into who are tree's about going anywhere.

Dismantled all of that. Sometimes what you suggest it works, but it never feels like options 1, 2, and 4 are 50-50... it's like 30-70 in favor of SOS peeps. The only saving grace is power weapons, and it's the reason I have a 2.0 K/D is because they go to their camping spots so I can flush and crush them with digger/boom. Some maps though, the camp spot is the power weapons for these guys. Gridlock especially. :/

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
The Antitype said:
So we should just blindly accept changes to a gameplay formula that are clearly negative, purely in the name of 'evolution'?

Idiotic.

Should we have accepted the shitty lag and glitches in Gears of War 2 as well and badmouthed anybody who had a problem with them? Adapt or Die?

"And hey, if you don't like it, you can go back to playing GoW1 you noob!"

Laughable.

Broken gameplay is broken gameplay, whether you choose to take advantage of it or not.
You're equating broken net code with the addition of a new weapon? Huh?

There are so many ways to defeat the SOS. Its hardly game breaking. A couple people here claim SOS users have kdrs less than 1. If that's the case then it's clearly not game breaking. In fact, it's giving everyone else more kills!

RSTEIN said:
You're equating broken net code with the addition of a new weapon? Huh?

There are so many ways to defeat the SOS. Its hardly game breaking. A couple people here claim SOS users have kdrs less than 1. If that's the case then it's clearly not game breaking. In fact, it's giving everyone else more kills!

Doesn't matter if it's net-code or weapon balance.

Broken is broken.

As for the whole 'SOS users have a KD less than 1' we've seen anecdotal evidence to the contrary too.

In my personal experience, there are a lot of terrible players that use the SOS and they are easy to counter.

There are a lot of GREAT players that use the SOS, not because they need to, but because it's an easy means to accrue tons of kills. ESPECIALLY in KOTH.

zlatko

Banned
dmg04 said:
I'm not making it sound like that; I'm making it sound like you aren't changing your playstyle or trying to predict this shit, and that's why you're mad bro.

Don't get me wrong - Really - I fucking HATE dying by the SOS. But at the same time, i love scrambling his guts with my lancer chainsaw.

Go back like 30 pages, you will more than likely see me saying 'OMG SOS BULLSHIT'

since then i've been "adapting", so to speak, and fucking people up if they even try to SOS me.

My play style in Gears 2 was Gnasher right out of spawn to a power weapon. No p.weapon = Gnasher 24/7.

My play style in beta of Gears 3 = SOS/Retro and only going for certain power weapons.

My play style in retail = Lancer/Gnasher, with Lancer being the weapon I have the most of my kills with. Going after the power weapons that are the most lethal for the map, even if I'm NOT the best with it, at least the other team won't have a hold of it to do more damage to us.

Oh and to the guy who told me to suck less. Thanks for your awesome input and lovely pearls of wisdom. Seeing as how you frequent this thread never, maybe type when you have all the facts instead of just slinging shit around.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=444622&page=218

Check my post at the top of this page. Link to my praise/love to the game for a blogpost I did, and then my complaints.

If it sounds like I'm raging about the SOS, I think I have been the least vocal about it in this thread compared to the rest, and my only major complaint right now for the 100th time with this game is the fact dedicated servers aren't up 24/7. The other shit needing tweaks/fixes can come after I'm always playing on dedi's. SOS is annoying, but no dedi's is game breaking for me. :/

dmg04

#DEADWRONG
zlatko said:
My play style in Gears 2 was Gnasher right out of spawn to a power weapon. No p.weapon = Gnasher 24/7.
This is a pretty good quote in responce to 'Broken Gameplay is Broken Gameplay'. The gnasher in Gears 2 was basically a power weapon that everyone had.
SOS is annoying, but no dedi's is game breaking for me. :/
This quote, however, is exactly how i feel about the game. Dedicated servers make this game playable. Lack of dedicated servers causes the SOS to be crazy. You may think you're far enough away for the SOS to be ineffective, but on his screen you're more than close enough. Same shit happens with the gnasher, too. hell, even the boom is inconsistent as hell without dedis.

Much love, fellow gaffer. <3

Raxus

I don't see why people complain about the gnasher. If it is going to be nerfed it will only be the active power since it gets RIDICULOUSLY strong and range from the active. Otherwise it is at a nice balance from the (non host) shotgun from gears 2 and the OP shotgun from Gears 1. It is difficult to gib a man without active and you have to rely on pop shots a lot more than hip fire. Even at melee range it is not a guaranteed gib (assuming the person is at 100% health).

SOS is annoying but punishable. PXG and others get annoyed because it really is a lame way to end an epic battle between shotgunners. 1 on 1 though the SOS will be crushed. Even KotH is becoming less and less SOS heavy.

Grisby

Had some nice matches tonight. KOH equals XP.

But for the love of Christ, go for the cap people, the cap! I don't care if the fountain looks pretty on Hotel you go for the mother fracking cap.

The game is perfect as it is right now. If you communicate with teammates then sawed offs are no problem. If you're going solo... Deal with it.

REV 09

RSTEIN said:
Newsflash: it's not 2006, it's 2011. The game you're paying is not gears 2, it's gears 3.

We have a whole new set of weapons to use: oneshot, digger, poison nades, and the SOS. If you don't like em don't play the game.

If your name is REV 09 and you're all like "RSTEIN has a higher kdr than me just because he uses the SOS" then you need to look in the mirror and ask yourself if you have the skills to compete with the new generation of Gears players. They're here to stay, the SOS ain't going away. People like REV 09 hate others instead of looking within...where the real problems are.
Well said...wait what?!

-PXG-

Dark FaZe said:
The game is perfect as it is right now. If you communicate with teammates then sawed offs are no problem. If you're going solo... Deal with it.
Having eyes around the map helps but they can't be everywhere. The range is still too big. Camping is lame no matter what.

Honestly, no self respecting competitive Gears fan can say the SOS has changed Gears for the better. It has dumbed the game down and has given new players an undeserved edge. It's beatable and avoidable, but takes far more effort than it should. Gnasher users have to put in a lot of work while the SOS user can just hide or go nuts, pull the right trigger and have a blast.

New players are given an easy weapon with brainless tactics, so powerful that even skilled players have trouble against it. That's not skill, thats called imbalance.

aDDiKt24

Banned
Honestly, if someone wants to camp with an SOS in a corner. Go and get a power weapon while he camps. When I see my team mates rush in to kill one last guy and he is camping in a corner (Always think the worst and think he has an SOS or he is a really good gnasher user) I am the guy going to get the power weapon so when or If my team mates lose the battle I clean him up with boomshot/digger/sniper/grenades.

Honestly people complaining about camping need to get a life. Its a cover based shooter. If someone chooses to camp, its showing that your the stronger player. So think strong and go for the weapons.

Play smart, not stupid. Dont rush in to a camping player.

EdgecrusherLSU

Neo Member
All this SOS hate continues to baffle me. I think this game is far better the last two gears multiplayer-wise.

Gears 1 and 2 was gnasher only and fuck you if you dare decide to touch any other weapon. Also fuck you if you happen to be on the non-host team.

Gears 3 is more stable and more balanced. I get kills with pretty much any weapon so long as I change up my tactics appropriately and the only time I get waxed by the SOS is when I make hasty decisions. I probably get killed more by retro lancer/lancers than I do by SOS.

Played in a match with somebody that was using the Onyx guard. Apparently there are programs out there that will let you unlock everything on the disk - characters, medals, weapons skins, etc.

On one hand, I'm kinda irked because I played the hell out of the game to unlock A. Carmine.

On the other hand, these people paid for the game (or most of them), so maybe they're entitled to the content on it?

I'm not risking an account ban for fucking character models though.

EdgecrusherLSU said:
All this SOS hate continues to baffle me. I think this game is far better the last two gears multiplayer-wise.

Gears 1 and 2 was gnasher only and fuck you if you dare decide to touch any other weapon. Also fuck you if you happen to be on the non-host team.

Gears 3 is more stable and more balanced. I get kills with pretty much any weapon so long as I change up my tactics appropriately and the only time I get waxed by the SOS is when I make hasty decisions. I probably get killed more by retro lancer/lancers than I do by SOS.

That's part of the reason it irritates me so much. Aside from the SOS, the weapon balance is pretty much spot on. Sure, you still get the inconsistency that seems part-and-parcel of the Gears of War formula, but aside from that and the SOS, everything is gravy.

Just had the most satisfying, balanced and fun session of GoW3 to date. It was ridiculous: super smooth, good teams, good maps and I actually don't think I died due to some bollocks SOS shenanigans once.

It was so fucking great. I was playing out of my skin, too. Twitchy, un-scoped Longshot headshots, fast movement... YouTube nerd montage shit, bro.

Fuck. When this game is good, it's amazing.

mickcenary said:
Just had the most satisfying, balanced and fun session of GoW3 to date. It was ridiculous: super smooth, good teams, good maps and I actually don't think I died due to some bollocks SOS shenanigans once.

It was so fucking great. I was playing out of my skin, too. Twitchy, un-scoped Longshot headshots, fast movement... YouTube nerd montage shit, bro.

Were you host?

mickcenary said:

I've been there, bruh. For like 3 hours a couple of nights ago I was the sickest player in the world. Gnasher beasting, wallbouncing like a pro, no scoped Longshot headshots, mutliple clutch 1 v 4 endings, etc. etc. Probably won't ever have a stretch like that again.

T'was a fine night.

JambiBum

Just had a great come back on sandbar. We were down 9 spawns to no spawns with only 3 guys left. We killed enough to take over the hill while losing a guy in the process. Ended up killing them when they would try to rush the hill. Stole their sniper and picked them off. I love this game for moments like that.

JambiBum

Just played a game with someone who was playing as Bernie and was using the invisible epic weapon skins. Don't know if it was an epic employee or a modder. Friend sent him a message and the guy just replied back with lol. Gamertag was x whyumad

Yeah. Was having weird lag tonight. Went to throw a smoke grenade, guy made the animation but I saw no grenade. Then I heard it explode, then it was suddenly at my feet like I could pick it up (I had clicked the button to pick up ink grenades right after I pushed the toss button). Also had guys just eating the shit out of my shotgunwithout taking damage, even if I switched to the SOS. My favorite is shooting my shotgun, seeing it fire and everything but the person not taking damage, then noticing it still says it's loaded. Only happened twice so far. Pretty shitty when it happens though.

_dementia said:
Were you host?

I'm pretty sure we were running on dedis. Shot registration was spot on and I was getting fucked on if I didn't land my shots first. I honestly haven't experienced lag more than a couple of times. I feel like I'm cheating the system the way you guys are complaining; 95% of my playtime with this game has been as smooth as it was in this session. I'm in Australia, by the way.

Net_Wrecker said:
Probably won't ever have a stretch like that again.

T'was a fine night.

That's the thing, mang. I bet you that I will completely suck balls the next time I jump on, but I will always keep going back; it's some addictive shit.

Arjen

Man, i was on fire last night, 6 mvp's in a row. When this game shines, it really shines.
I agree on the SOS sentiments though, i would pay money to have it removed from the game. I know how to counter it, it's just annoying and not fun to play against.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom