• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 3 |OT| BROTHERS TO THE END

Status
Not open for further replies.
reggie said:
Uh, welcome to Gears of War? A third person COVER BASED shooter.
haha, this. people were playing gears 1 (and 2, to a certain extent) wrong. it was never meant to be shotguns 'n rolls. it's a cover-based shooter. man up, crybabies. finally gears actually takes some tactics.

JambiBum

Arjen said:
Damn, that's even super easy to do.
We ran into at least 5 people who were doing it tonight. Now that it's on the Internet a lot of people are going to do it. Lots of people are going to end up getting banned too.

JambiBum said:
We ran into at least 5 people who were doing it tonight. Now that it's on the Internet a lot of people are going to do it. Lots of people are going to end up getting banned too.

Its been out since gears launch, the thing is with Horizon (and its competitor "Modio") is that their paid programs that require a monthly subscription. It also the laziest form of hacking iv ever seen, scrubs and skiddies everywhere.

Label said:
I want to do it, but I am too scared of getting banned!
You will, and paying for the program to do it monthly isnt worth it. Just leave it the skins will all be dlc and a few weapons skins wont make a difference to how you play. In fact they look kinda stupid i wish gears had kept them "in theme" with the universe.

Robot Pants

StalkerUKCG said:
You will, and paying for the program to do it monthly isnt worth it. Just leave it the skins will all be dlc and a few weapons skins wont make a difference to how you play. In fact they look kinda stupid i wish gears had kept them "in theme" with the universe.

I agree. I think 99% of the skins look awful. I have the chrome and gold, and those are fine for me. No interest in the rest.

razu

scar tissue said:
haha, this. people were playing gears 1 (and 2, to a certain extent) wrong. it was never meant to be shotguns 'n rolls. it's a cover-based shooter. man up, crybabies. finally gears actually takes some tactics.

I use the cover to get close with my Gnasher. Then I roll around.

I play Gears for entertainment and enjoyment. I'm playing it right!

JambiBum

dk_ said:
Wait, you can detonate other equipped grenades with a thrown smoke grenade? Even frag grenades?
Yes. You can detonate frags with your smokes too. Any plant can be blown up with any type of grenade.

Daigoro

never tried the multi in Gears 2, just ran through the campaign a few times with a friend.

im a Gears noob. liking Gears 3 a lot though. im surprised how much im enjoying the multiplayer. still learning the ropes though.

its been a good purchase for me. i find horde a bit boring, but other than that i like all of the other game modes a lot.

moai

Ajemsuhgao said:
I have a green skin code if anyone is willing to trade for something. Preferably an infected omen code, but I'm up for offers.
Did you trade it already? I have an extra io skin.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
Still lots of SOS debate going on *sigh*

Yes SOS means lots of your kills now come from Lancers since you're not charging in with gnashers so much, but really the key behind this is the rifles are more powerful.

This means that eventually, when people wise up, they'll stay in cover more so rifles are less useful. Cover is the key element of this game that often gets ignored.

The skill is how you move around and control the map vs the other team. That's staying hidden, flanking, defending and attacking PROPERLY.

When people stop rushing like idiots, you will get less rifle kills. Thats how its supposed to work. You could take out the SOS and the lancer will still probably be the best weapon if people stick to the rush and shotgun playstyle.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
Just wanna say again that people who leave Horde early because a wave didn't go their way should get a good ball kickin'.

K' Dash

Vilix said:
Just wanna say again that people who leave Horde early because a wave didn't go their way should get a good ball kickin'.

Play with us.

GT: K DashCR

Yesterday we did all 50 waves on Normal on Sandbar with the super reload mutator, we got lucky with the bosses (mostly reavers) and was a walk in the park, we're looking to do it on insane over the weekend.

h3ro

K' Dash said:
Play with us.

Yesterday we did all 50 waves on Normal on Sandbar wuth the super reload mutator, we got lucky with the bosses (mostly reavers) and was a walk in the park, we're looking to do it on insane over the weekend.
I'd like to play in that run as well if you have space! I'm on the GAF Gears 3 list.

Raxus

K' Dash said:
Play with us.

Yesterday we did all 50 waves on Normal on Sandbar with the super reload mutator, we got lucky with the bosses (mostly reavers) and was a walk in the park, we're looking to do it on insane over the weekend.
If you have room I will join you.

K' Dash

h3ro said:
I'd like to play in that run as well if you have space! I'm on the GAF Gears 3 list.

I sent a friend request to Gears 3 numerous times and got ignored or it was full, we play horde everyday, mostly gaffers, send me a friend request and I'll hook you up.

LowParry

K' Dash said:
Play with us.

Do ya play during the day? My evenings are usually booked with either school or helping a buddy out with his COD Elite objectives for free swag.

U2NUMB

I would just like to say one day I will smack Cliff for the last boss 4 player co op insane. Seriously.. the game is broken at that point. Up until then it is all tough but doable.. but that last boss on insane WITH 3+ people is perhaps the worst designed boss I have ever seen.

Now we are forced to try and figure out what combo (less than 3) players we need to run in order for us to all get through.

Very annoying.. the ONLY part of this game I have not enjoyed.

Lima

Oh yeah.

Just watched yesterdays Q&A stream from rod and he said that they will change the vengeful medal.

No specifics to what they will change but they look into it.

Thank you Epic!

TRios Zen

Played last night from 10-12PM (CST) and dedi's HAD to have been down (or limited).

Lost AT least 4 or 5 matches because I spawned into a game as the last of 1 or 2 on my team against a team with 10 plus re-spawns available (down 0-1 in the match).

Bullet-sponges were EVERYWHERE. Some kids were near impossible to kill; took 2 or 3 firing at them at once to get them down. Ridiculous.

Spawned once with zero spawn protection. Spawned, saw Cog in front of me with SOS, died, looked right in death cam and my buddy spawned and had the same thing happen to him by another on that team. WTF?

When this game works (and I don't mean, ONLY when I win); it's a joy to behold. But I lost 3 of my team of 5 to the BF Demo over the course of the night as the BS piled up.

This game needs server notification - let us set our expectations correctly!

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
K' Dash said:
Play with us.

I'm at the office, but I sent you a FR. Hopefully, we can get a good crew together. Would love to get to 50.

K' Dash

CcrooK said:
Do ya play during the day? My evenings are usually booked with either school or helping a buddy out with his COD Elite objectives for free swag.

I work during the day, saturday and sunday mornings are free, tho, this weekend my GF is out of town so I'll be playing gears 24/7 lol, unless I get Dark Souls from mail, in that case I'll split my time between both.

Still, theres the other gaffers whi I play with, very good players.

TRios Zen said:
Played last night from 10-12PM (CST) and dedi's HAD to have been down (or limited).

Yep, they were down last night.... a few pages back in this here thread, PXG cites a tweet from Rod Fergusson where he mentions that dedi's were taken down for them to add more servers.

zlatko

Banned
U2NUMB said:
I would just like to say one day I will smack Cliff for the last boss 4 player co op insane. Seriously.. the game is broken at that point. Up until then it is all tough but doable.. but that last boss on insane WITH 3+ people is perhaps the worst designed boss I have ever seen.

Now we are forced to try and figure out what combo (less than 3) players we need to run in order for us to all get through.

Very annoying.. the ONLY part of this game I have not enjoyed.

I've heard these things help complete it:

Solo it on insane.

If you 4 player it, then have 1 on insane, the other 3 on casual. Insane guy can do his best to hide while the other 3 don't have to give a shit.

IGNORE THE THERONS. This is how I beat it on insane co-op is we finally said fuck trying to kill them, and we did it.

K' Dash

Here's a list I posted earlier of all the mutators, what they do and how to unlock them

COMET (Easier)
Earn the gold Shock Trooper medal (for earning a certain number of First Blood ribbons)
As you roadie run, you'll build up energy, letting you ram into enemies.

INSTAGIB MELEE (Easier)
200 Wretch kills
Melee attacks explode enemies

SUPER RELOAD (Easier)
Earn the bronze Master-At-Arms medal (100 kills with each of the starting 5 weapons)
More damage and clip size for an active reload.

INFINITE AMMO (Easier)
Earn the Combat Engineer pin 100 times (worked on 5 fortifications in one deployment in Horde)
Infinite ammo for all weapons.

BIG EXPLOSIONS (Easier)
Earn the Hail Mary pin 100 times (Boomshot kill from over 200 yards away)
Bigger explosions, natch.

ENEMY REGEN (Harder)
Earn the silver Aficionado medal (for playing a certain number of chapters in Arcade mode)
Enemies will regain health over time if you don't kill them.

VAMPIRE (Harder)
Earn the Executioner pin 100 times (for having the most executions in a match)
Your health does not regenerate automatically, but you do earn health for dealing damage.

MUST ACTIVE RELOAD (Harder)
Earn the silver Active Reloader medal (for actively reloading a certain number of times)
The only way to reload is to perform an active reload.

FRIENDLY FIRE (Harder)
Complete the campaign in 4-player co-op
Teammates can cause damage to each other.

BIG HEAD (Fun)
Earn the gold Horder medal (for playing a certain number of waves in Horde)
Giant heads, "NBA Jam" style.

PINATA (Fun)
Earn the gold Investor medal (for repairing and upgrading a certain number of defenses in Horde)
Tokens drop from every kill. Picking them up earns you points.

FLOWER BLOOD (Fun)
Earn the silver King of COG medal (for earning a certain number of total points in Arcade)
All blood effects are replaced by pretty flowers.

HEADLESS CHICKEN (Fun)
Unlocked from the start
Enemies attack each other for several seconds after they lose their heads.

LAUGH TRACK (Fun)
Earn the bronze medals for Tour of Duty (Finish Campaign on Casual), For the Horde (Finish Horde on Casual), I'm A Beast (Finish Beast on Casual) and Warmonger (Finish Arcade on Casual)
Adds an audible laugh track to the game.

Lima

It is still stupid.

Also it is totally RANDOM.

Sometimes it takes 6 hammer shots to get the theron guard cutscene. Sometimes you don't get the cutscene at all.

When I did it alone I got the cutscene after just 3 hammer shots.

If the bossfight would play exactly the same every time you play it, you at least could change your play-style accordingly.

zlatko

Banned
Lima said:
It is still stupid.

Also it is totally RANDOM.

Sometimes it takes 6 hammer shots to get the theron guard cutscene. Sometimes you don't get the cutscene at all.

When I did it alone I got the cutscene after just 3 hammer shots.

If the bossfight would play exactly the same every time you play it, you at least could change your play-style accordingly.

I too have always hated random factor in videogames. It shows an inability to properly design something that challenges and rewards the player without being cheap.

When I was doing it on insane I probably had 12 deaths in a row at one point, but I think on the 18th or so attempt is when we focused on the boss in its final segment and said fuck the therons. The focus firing on the boss helped us drop her much faster.

Kajiba

K' Dash said:
Here's a list I posted earlier of all the mutators, what they do and how to unlock them

COMET (Easier)
Earn the gold Shock Trooper medal (for earning a certain number of First Blood ribbons)
As you roadie run, you'll build up energy, letting you ram into enemies.

This sounds hilarious lol. Is it instant gib?

LosDaddie

Banned
It's kinda funny how if you're playing co-op Campaign with someone on a higher difficulty than you, the AI targets them first. :lol

Happened 2 night ago with Mikas and last night with Zyz. They were both on Insane and I (and K Dash) on Hardcore and damn, the AI went after them with the quickness. I'm going spend time unlocking the mutators this weekend.

Thanks for joining me last night, K Dash & Zyz! :)

Lima

Kajiba said:
This sounds hilarious lol. Is it instant gib?

Yes but just like the instant gib melee it only works on certain enemies.

You can just run through every basic enemy and grinders/boomers etc.

You can't kill a drudge with it however. I think it is because the enemies catch fire if you run through them and since the drudge is using fire it evens out.

I wish epic would patch in a way to see if we are playing in a peer2peer or server match, getting a little frustrated now with lag again, some matches are fine and some are teleporting me behind cover or just not doing anything right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom