• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 3 |OT| BROTHERS TO THE END

Status
Not open for further replies.

MinionBE

Seriously, is there no way to continue your progress in Horde mode when playing splitscreen (and by that, keeping your earned cash and continuing on the wave you were last on )? I can't believe that option wouldn't be available

Lima

MinionBE said:
Seriously, is there no way to continue your progress in Horde mode when playing splitscreen (and by that, keeping your earned cash and continuing on the wave you were last on )? I can't believe that option wouldn't be available

This so much.

It is so much bullshit when you are playing up to like wave 30 and your friends or you have to quit.

Next day you continue but your awesome fortifications are gone and you start over. This is so annoying in the later waves if you are playing hardcore or insane.

sajj316

Wonder if there ever will be server notifications because p2p is still an option. Epic is probably having a hard time getting the dedicated servers up with the amount of traffic this game is producing ...

I haz a noo toy:

16bd5sh.jpg

2q83n6h.jpg

thing is fucking huge! lol

INFINITE AMMO (Easier)
Earn the Combat Engineer pin 100 times (worked on 5 fortifications in one deployment in Horde)
Infinite ammo for all weapons.
Yeah, about that, does anybody know the exact requirements for the ribbon? Sometimes I get it, sometimes I don't even though I work on 7-10 fortifications.

Lima

I'm still thinking about buying the retro lancer replica.

I would then go on and swap the fake knife in the front for a real one.

Then go to the mall and do a retro charge. I wonder how fast you would need to run to get the same outcome you get in the game.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
K' Dash said:
VAMPIRE (Harder)
Earn the Executioner pin 100 times (for having the most executions in a match)
Your health does not regenerate automatically, but you do earn health for dealing damage.

Hey should call this mutation Space Marine.

Flo

vodka-bull said:
Fuck it, from now on, I'm gonna join the sawed-off club. Unless Epic fixes this POS I'm gonna abuse this beast just as everbody else does. Sick of dieing without getting one kill.l If I equip the SOS, at least I'm even.
Hey, I thought the same thing after last night.

_dementia said:
Are you going to dress as a Gear for Halloween or something?
Earlier this year I completely redesigned my room and removed a lot of old shit, leaving behind lovely empty clean flat walls, this going will be going on one :p

Lima said:
Oh yeah.

Just watched yesterdays Q&A stream from rod and he said that they will change the vengeful medal.

No specifics to what they will change but they look into it.

Thank you Epic!
I hope they set the requirement to get a nemesis to get killed 3 times and the amount of nemesis you have to execute to 250 max.

kaizoku said:
Still lots of SOS debate going on *sigh*

Yes SOS means lots of your kills now come from Lancers since you're not charging in with gnashers so much, but really the key behind this is the rifles are more powerful.

This means that eventually, when people wise up, they'll stay in cover more so rifles are less useful. Cover is the key element of this game that often gets ignored.

The skill is how you move around and control the map vs the other team. That's staying hidden, flanking, defending and attacking PROPERLY.

When people stop rushing like idiots, you will get less rifle kills. Thats how its supposed to work. You could take out the SOS and the lancer will still probably be the best weapon if people stick to the rush and shotgun playstyle.

Really? The one thing that jumped out to me is how much weaker the rifles are compared to the hammerburst in Gears 2. Granted, my time with the game is limited, but rifles seem pretty useless even when you catch someone in the open.

Has the Gears of War universe ever explained why when COGs touch a weapon it lights up in blue and when a Locust does the same it turns red? Are there some RFID shenanigans going on or something? If so, it would probably be wise for the Coalition of Organized Governments (C.O.G.) to utilize that tech and just make it so guns can't work when in red mode.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
_dementia said:
Has the Gears of War universe ever explained why when COGs touch a weapon it lights up in blue and when a Locust does the same it turns red? Are there some RFID shenanigans going on or something? If so, it would probably be wise for the Coalition of Organized Governments (C.O.G.) to utilize that tech and just make it so guns can't work when in red mode.
Probably according to some Sera Geneva convention shit. Best believe when the humans get into a heated war with another species, and we all become stranded, I'll make sure no Lite-Brite goes underused in the name of salvation.

Lima

vodka-bull said:
I hope they set the requirement to get a nemesis to get killed 3 times and the amount of nemesis you have to execute to 250 max.

It was like that in the beta and I think that this would be an appropriate amount.

ZeroCoin

vodka-bull said:
Yeah, about that, does anybody know the exact requirements for the ribbon? Sometimes I get it, sometimes I don't even though I work on 7-10 fortifications.

I think it can only be awarded once per round, not per wave.

I still think active gnasher has too much damage over range, that thing can snipe like gears 2 when you have an active.

Also I am rather annoyed at SOS users who miss but then manage to land two melees on me to down me, why should I run away if he misses, it's what it feels like if they do land one hit on you.

ZeroCoin

vodka-bull said:
So I have to build on 5 fortifications, then die, then build up another 5 to achieve 2 ribbons?

If you are looking to grind this one out, easiest way to do it is to do a private horde mode with a second controller. You need at least 2 players to get ribbons in horde apparently. Build a turret, fire some rounds, exit the turret, buy ammo for the turret....and repeat that until you get the ribbon. Then die and start all over again.

TRios Zen

ZeroCoin said:
If you are looking to grind this one out, easiest way to do it is to do a private horde mode with a second controller. You need at least 2 players to get ribbons in horde apparently. Build a turret, fire some rounds, exit the turret, buy ammo for the turret....and repeat that until you get the ribbon. Then die and start all over again.

Hmmm, I thought you had to work on 5 fortifications/upgrades within a single round (between 2 waves). In that case, simply purchasing rounds for a turret wouldn't work. I've played I don't know, maybe 80 waves of horde and only received this medal twice. Not easy to come by I guess, without actively trying.

h3ro

For the Super Reload mutator requiring 100 kills with each of the 5 starting weapons:

Do the kills all have to be in a specific game type (all in MP or campaign, etc) or can the span the different modes combined?

Lima

h3ro said:
For the Super Reload mutator requiring 100 kills with each of the 5 starting weapons:

Do the kills all have to be in a specific game type (all in MP or campaign, etc) or can the span the different modes combined?

All kills must be done in versus.

see5harp

akskiller said:
Man when this game is broken its fucking broken.

Seriously. Last night I played a total of 3 games and each one of them felt exactly like Gears 2 with the super sluggish movement and shooting. Anybody know when the servers are coming back?

Untracked

I completed all Acts in Arcade, on Insane but the Onyx Warmonger Medal (Complete all Arcade chapters on Insane) didn't unlock.
When I look at the Leaderboards I only have a score for Acts 3 and 4.
Anyone know what's going on here?
I'm confused :(

Edit: nevermind, I was missing the Prologue, derp.

_dementia said:

I always wondered how Locusts had COG weapons and some seemingly advanced technology to begin with. It LOOKS like Reavers and Brumacks are under some kind of electronic mind control piloting system when they're driven by locusts. How did they build that stuff?

ZeroCoin

TRios Zen said:
Hmmm, I thought you had to work on 5 fortifications/upgrades within a single round (between 2 waves). In that case, simply purchasing rounds for a turret wouldn't work. I've played I don't know, maybe 80 waves of horde and only received this medal twice. Not easy to come by I guess, without actively trying.

Reloading the turret will work, I've done it plenty of times. Anything that you purchase counts as a fortification / upgrade. In the method I listed you have to use some turret rounds up during the build period. So you are basically doing a cheap 'repair' on the same turret multiple times during the build phase.

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood
TRios Zen said:

If you are fast enough you can fire the turret one or two bullets, reload it and then rinse and repeat.

ZeroGravity

MrCompletely said:
I always wondered how Locusts had COG weapons and some seemingly advanced technology to begin with. It LOOKS like Reavers and Brumacks are under some kind of electronic mind control piloting system when they're driven by locusts. How did they build that stuff?
They scavenged a lot of human weapons and technology that had been dumped and discarded at various points of time before E-Day.

TRios Zen

ZeroCoin said:
Reloading the turret will work, I've done it plenty of times. Anything that you purchase counts as a fortification / upgrade. In the method I listed you have to use some turret rounds up during the build period. So you are basically doing a cheap 'repair' on the same turret multiple times during the build phase.

Sorry - my mistake, I thought you meant you ONLY had to do that, but you meant using that as a cheap repair along with 4 other items. Makes sense!

edit: @Label, @ZeroCoin: I'm a moron! I get it now, thanks!

does the sentry gun get any stronger / better range as I level it? right now I just have 11% off repairs but the thing is so weak especially from wave 11+ when the horde get 2.0 health, makes the thing pointless.

Hyunkel6

see5harp said:
Seriously. Last night I played a total of 3 games and each one of them felt exactly like Gears 2 with the super sluggish movement and shooting. Anybody know when the servers are coming back?
I wonder why Epic is being so secretive about the servers. Can't they just announce when the servers are down and when they are back up?

TRios Zen

Hyunkel6 said:
I wonder why Epic is being so secretive about the servers. Can't they just announce when the servers are down and when they are back up?

I hope for even more clarity - put server notification up during matchmaking.

I can dream, right?

sajj316 said:
Wonder if there ever will be server notifications because p2p is still an option. Epic is probably having a hard time getting the dedicated servers up with the amount of traffic this game is producing ...
Huh? There are usually around 100k people playing Versus at one time. That's not a lot. Black Ops probably has over 1 million people playing.

It's sad to see how few people in Europe are playing this game. Last night it was less than 10k. I can't see Epic being satisfied with such low numbers.

moai

AndyMoogle said:
Huh? There are usually around 100k people playing Versus at one time. That's not a lot. Black Ops probably has over 1 million people playing.

It's sad to see how few people in Europe are playing this game. Last night it was less than 10k. I can't see Epic being satisfied with such low numbers.

that can't be, my region yesterday showed 34.000 people playing quick team deathmatch and 6.000 ranked (southamerica). and we don't even get dedicated servers. i think i never played on one. surely europe has a lot more 360 sales than our little market.

I just finished all 50 waves of Horde without using any continues.
It was in the Stadium map.
I had a really good team (of randoms), got lucky with bosses (no Bezerkers of any kind and only one armored Kantus, at least that I saw) and NOBODY left the game prematurely!
I bought the Silverback at level 15 or so but only used it in the higher level sets (18, 19, 20, 28, 29, 30, 38 etc) to stop it getting consistantly damaged.

Diablohead said:
does the sentry gun get any stronger / better range as I level it? right now I just have 11% off repairs but the thing is so weak especially from wave 11+ when the horde get 2.0 health, makes the thing pointless.
It gets stronger and has a higher rate of fire once you unlock the upgrade, yeah

Raxus

vodka-bull said:
The easiest way to get this is to build a turret and reload it 5 times in between rounds. You get 1 CE ribbon per round. If you want to do this and get the founder ribbons at the same time just go in with 2 controllers, have the second player give you all his cash and then found a base and build a turret. Fire the turret a bit, reload (x3) and you earn a ribbon. Wait for the wave to start up, get killed (helps if you play insane), choose the start from the beginning option and not the start from the current wave, repeat.

K' Dash

Hoya Destroyer said:
I had a really good team (of randoms), got lucky with bosses (no Bezerkers of any kind and only one armored Kantus, at least that I saw) and NOBODY left the game prematurely!
I bought the Silverback at level 15 or so but only used it in the higher level sets (18, 19, 20, 28, 29, 30, 38 etc) to stop it getting consistantly damaged.

We got really lucky on the boss waves yesterday too, only reavers, armored kantus and a couple of berzerkers, on wave 50 we were prepared the muherfucking lambent zerker, but it was an armored kantus overload.

Hoya Destroyer said:

Almost made to to level 50 last night with a bunch of randoms as well, but on the 49th wave, a few Armored Kantus fucked us up really bad.
What sucked was that there were no incendiary grenade or scorchers anywhere on the map to buy.

We had a fully healed Silverback & two turrets in the Stadium upper part, but when those fuckers got to use, all those bullets just bounced off them & they killed us before we could make a dent in them.

Just finished the game.

As par with a few other games — Dead Space 2, Mass Effect 2, Bioshock 2 — game progression is very good, no sudden spike difficulties when playing solo on Hardcore.
I appreciated a lot not dying even when hit by torque bows, even if it felt like cheat.

Some might cry and take refuge in Dark Souls, but I really appreciate the course gaming is taking; I'm 22 years old and I don't have anymore the time nor the will to repeat a million times — just because of a checkpoint misplaced i.e. — the same actions.

I'm not gonna spoil anything and I'll just say that the writing and the story keeps on sucking hard. Very, very hard. Nylund is even listed in the credits as a writer, what the hell went wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom