• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 3 |OT| BROTHERS TO THE END

Status
Not open for further replies.
see5harp said:
I will join Gaffers if I see them on and it is fun to win but it's sorta ridiculous how one sided matches can be with a full party. If you go ranked it seems less people will leave but quick match will clear out a damn room after one game if you are just skunking teams left and right. Hell, most of my ranked matches with just one or two in the party end up being skunks. I do sorta like a good back and forth.

This is true, and that's why Quickmatch is usually boring. Either you roll solo and get your ass whooped by a team, causing you to ragequit, or you're the one on the team and cause them to rage quit.

I'd be cool with social matchmaking, hell that's all I played in Halo, but those games at least started with a full team to face off against. You can go entire games in Quickmatch fighting bots, which is dull.

mernst23

Was playing a TDM last night on trenches and was last one left against 5 COG's, 4 rushed me when I was at the one-shot and I hammerbursted two down, gnashered another dead and as I was trying to roll to the downed guys to meatshield one I got SOS'd by guy number 4; totally lame.

Edit: Also 313 Kantus Heals in Beast Mode away from Onyx medal #5.

nel e nel

mernst23 said:
Was playing a TDM last night on trenches and was last one left against 5 COG's, 4 rushed me when I was at the one-shot and I hammerbursted two down, gnashered another dead and as I was trying to roll to the downed guys to meatshield one I got SOS'd by guy number 4; totally lame..

Yeah, I really hate it when I can't consistently win a 5-on-1 face off as well.

see5harp

LeonSKennedy90 said:
This is true, and that's why Quickmatch is usually boring. Either you roll solo and get your ass whooped by a team, causing you to ragequit, or you're the one on the team and cause them to rage quit.

I'd be cool with social matchmaking, hell that's all I played in Halo, but those games at least started with a full team to face off against. You can go entire games in Quickmatch fighting bots, which is dull.

I'm not sure whether it's the game design or just balance with all of the weapons but I LOVE how close Halo matches can be. I don't wanna sound like I've gotten no close games in KOTH but I think the majority of the time they are landslides victories or losses for me.

REV 09

RSTEIN said:
Yeah, if you were stunned a bit it would cut down on the number of guys who run up to you, shoot, and then run away and hide. If they're stunned for a second or two after shooting, or if their movement speed is temporarily reduced, then your teammates would have a better chance to kill them before they run away. If they miss then they are very vulnerable to the person they're trying to kill.
your kdr would go from SOS to SOL.

mernst23

nel e nel said:
Yeah, I really hate it when I can't consistently win a 5-on-1 face off as well.

Except, that's what made Gears 1 great, sure most of the time you'll get owned in that situation; but that one time when you take out the entire opposing team that rushed 2 or 3 at you and you prevailed. That got taken away from me because of a gun you don't even have to aim. The guy was like 6-7, all he did the entire game was rush at people with that thing out; and the only reason he got me is because 3 other people were distracting me. If he gnashered me I would've said fine, but even my friend i was playing with said he wasn't even close to putting that shot on me directly because i was wallbouncing out of there.

nel e nel

mernst23 said:
Except, that's what made Gears 1 great, sure most of the time you'll get owned in that situation; but that one time when you take out the entire opposing team that rushed 2 or 3 at you and you prevailed. That got taken away from me because of a gun you don't even have to aim. The guy was like 6-7, all he did the entire game was rush at people with that thing out; and the only reason he got me is because 3 other people were distracting me. If he gnashered me I would've said fine, but even my friend i was playing with said he wasn't even close to putting that shot on me directly because i was wallbouncing out of there.

I've seen plenty of come-from-behind victories in Gears 3. Heck I've been in 1 or 2 myself. The SOS doesn't break the game, it only breaks what the self-appointed 'veterans' turned Gears into. I watched that analysis video that's been floating around, and I agree that the SOS should be tweaked to match the description of the weapon, but it's not a game breaker.

If you want to wall bounce and gnasher your way to feeling good about yourself there are 2 other Gears of War games out there with healthy communities still playing them.

REV 09

nel e nel said:
I've seen plenty of come-from-behind victories in Gears 3. Heck I've been in 1 or 2 myself. The SOS doesn't break the game, it only breaks what the self-appointed 'veterans' turned Gears into. I watched that analysis video that's been floating around, and I agree that the SOS should be tweaked to match the description of the weapon, but it's not a game breaker.

If you want to wall bounce and gnasher your way to feeling good about yourself there are 2 other Gears of War games out there with healthy communities still playing them.
. YES!!! YES!!!! NOW YOU BEGIN TO UNDERSTAND!!! -myrrah

if the SOS is tweaked then it should be very, very minor.

-PXG-

nel e nel said:

I hate it when people say this. It's incredibly ignorant.

Yeah, too bad Gears 1 and 2 don't have dedicated servers, title updates DLC or any support from Epic anymore. Oh, and let's not forget how utterly broken they are.

Anyway, I do agree that the SOS isn't game breaking. It's just really annoying and a pain in the ass to deal with. I shouldn't have to put as much effort, as I do, to counter it while SOS users barely have to do anything to get the mindless kills they get.

Epic just needs to either lower the range and spread of the SOS or create a Classic playlist . The solution is simple. The results will be glorious.

K' Dash

Raxus said:
Sorry about last night K Dash. I was playing with my friends and they forgot to set the party to private.

Don't worry, I'm sorry I didn't understand what you were trying to do at first, I was killing everybody when downed :(

nel e nel

-PXG- said:
I hate it when people say this. It's incredibly ignorant.

Yeah, too bad Gears 1 and 2 don't have dedicated servers, title updates DLC or any support from Epic anymore. Oh, and let's not forget how utterly broken they are.

Anyway, I do agree that the SOS isn't game breaking. It's just really annoying and a pain in the ass to deal with. I shouldn't have to put as much effort, as I do, to counter it while SOS users barely have to do anything to get the mindless kills they get.

Epic just needs to either lower the range and spread of the SOS or create a Classic playlist . The solution is simple. The results will be glorious.

Hey I agree with you on all the points about dedicated servers, host advantage all of that. I'd be willing to bet that the crazy wall bouncing gnashers who are complaining about the SOS are in the minority. Hell, on the epic forums they have a whopping 400+ people complaining about it on polls. 400+ in the face of 3 million isn't even a drop in the bucket. It's more like 1 molecule in the olympic sized swimming pool. I mean, for me and the folks I play with regularly, we'd complain about the wall bouncers just as much as folks are complaining about the SOS. My point is that it's really a situation of perception.

Is it annoying because it's overpowered, or because you just aren't used to getting killed as much? (and I mean the royal YOU, not you personally). I mean, fuck, no one is complaining about the longshot, and I HATE that fucker.

dmg04

#DEADWRONG
nel e nel said:
Is it annoying because it's overpowered, or because you just aren't used to getting killed as much? (and I mean the royal YOU, not you personally). I mean, fuck, no one is complaining about the longshot, and I HATE that fucker.
Eh, people are people. People complain about things that kill them.
If the thing that killed them isn't dubbed 'skillful', then fuck it all this game is shit and needs a patch.

"What the fuck, terrorists! That AK47 is so OP stop using it so much"

-PXG-

nel e nel said:
Hey I agree with you on all the points about dedicated servers, host advantage all of that. I'd be willing to bet that the crazy wall bouncing gnashers who are complaining about the SOS are in the minority. Hell, on the epic forums they have a whopping 400+ people complaining about it on polls. 400+ in the face of 3 million isn't even a drop in the bucket. It's more like 1 molecule in the olympic sized swimming pool. I mean, for me and the folks I play with regularly, we'd complain about the wall bouncers just as much as folks are complaining about the SOS. My point is that it's really a situation of perception.

The Longshot is precision weapon, with a nasty reticle bloom if you move or get shot. The SOS can kill you from three character lengths and has a 120 (maybe more) degree spread. One takes a lot of skill to use, the other doesn't.

It's not fair to use the Epic forums as the sole source for grievances. Just look on GAF or any forum with a solid Gears following. Go on XBL and ask people what they think about the SOS.

It's easy to die from the SOS, but hard to counter, since users tend to run away, hide and effortlessly kill you if you're anywhere close to them. Grenades and power weapons are often occupied by those wielding the SOS. The SOS gives players more map control than you think. Most of the time, if I'm against several SOS users, I'm too afraid to approach them up close. This isn't fun, since the highlight of Gears for myself and many others, is the CQC. Now it has been undermined and almost ruined because of an overpowered weapon that kills you instantly. If I wanted to camp and use rifles, I'd play another game. I play Gears for it's fast paced, intimate combat. No other game offers such an experience.

Rifles are only useful is someone is out in the open. They can't and won't do anything against someone hiding behind cover all day. Mantle kicks, at least for me, are horrendously inconsistent, and even when they do work, are still risky.

Diablohead said:
I'd be up for shooting the SOS stops you doing melee attacks for 2 seconds, I hate people who go for the gib, miss then somehow land two melees on you, feels cheap as shit, why should I have to run away if he misses when using a different gun? or make the melee power from the SOS 3 hits to down instead of 2.

Yeah, the missing -> beating to death combo is so cheap. I think the game would be better if they removed the melee entirely.

But hey, at least the FINALLY removed the melee autoaim, one of my main complaints. That's partially why there's not as much two-piece as before. It's still very annoying and exploitable though :/

nel e nel

-PXG- said:
It's not fair to use the Epic forums as the sole source for grievances. Just look on GAF or any forum with a solid Gears following. Go on XBL and ask people what they think about the SOS.

Oh yeah, I'm sure there is more than that, I was just using it as a reference point. I'm sure there are more than 400 folks registered on the Epic forums, and I have seen a lot of discussion about it on other message boards I frequent, but the discussion seems to be more evenly balanced on those boards than on the Epic forums.

Carnby

Normaly I am a huge Gears fan, but I'm in act 4 and I am very under whelmed. This game offers nothing on par with part 1 and 2.

Who the hell thought having an English female 50 Cent was a good idea?

Maybe I'm disappointed because since part 2 I have played better 3rd person shooters (Vanquish and Uncharted 2.)

nel e nel said:
Oh yeah, I'm sure there is more than that, I was just using it as a reference point. I'm sure there are more than 400 folks registered on the Epic forums, and I have seen a lot of discussion about it on other message boards I frequent, but the discussion seems to be more evenly balanced on those boards than on the Epic forums.

The only thing people talk about is "WTF THE SOS IS OP" and "ARE THE SERVERS DOWN?!??!?", dude.

You hate the longshot? Haha, I'd love to play against you then :)

dmg04

#DEADWRONG
Plasmid said:
Using the Epic forums as a point of Reference is useless.
Using any online forum as a point of reference is useless.

Random fact; Big Head mode is fun, but i doubt i'll play more than a few games.

nel e nel

Risk Breaker said:
The only thing people talk about is "WTF THE SOS IS OP" and "ARE THE SERVERS DOWN?!??!?", dude.

You hate the longshot? Haha, I'd love to play against you then :)

Well, exactly my point. If the one forum that is primarily discussing the SOS as being overpowered only numbers in the hundreds, then what is the FULL community of 3million actually saying about it?

I checked the XBL forums for kicks, and I found 2 threads in the first 2 pages, and one of them was started by a guy who claims to have never experienced lag in GoW2. :/

And I don't really hate the longshot, was just making a joke about complaining about weapons you get killed by. It's more about hating getting killed by the same thing over and over and over again, and instead of switching up my strategy I just keep doing the same thing.

nel e nel

jaekwon15 said:
Normaly I am a huge Gears fan, but I'm in act 4 and I am very under whelmed. This game offers nothing on par with part 1 and 2.

Maybe I'm disappointed because since part 2 I have played better 3rd person shooters (Vanquish and Uncharted 2.)

I'm disappointed that you can't tell the difference between English and Australian accents.

-PXG-

nel e nel said:

Most people who play Gears on GAF are casual (not meant as an insult) players who only play the game for campaign and Horde. Among those who play Versus, I bet most have an issue with the SOS. Now, of course there are varying degrees of complaints, some claiming it as a minor annoyance and others who hate it with a burning a passion

Ramirez

jaekwon15 said:

I'm sorry, but lol. Uncharted's gunplay is so bad compared to Gears...

nel e nel

-PXG- said:
Most people who play Gears on GAF are casual (not meant as an insult) players who only play the game for campaign and Horde. Among those who play Versus, I bet most have an issue with the SOS. Now, of course there are varying degrees of complaints, some claiming it as a minor annoyance and others who hate it with a burning a passion

Yeah, fair enough. I tend to fall in the latter camp, and I treat it like taxi cabs in NY: I hate the way they drive when I'm not in them, but goddamn if I don't love it when they get me to my destination with the quickness.

dmg04

#DEADWRONG
-PXG- said:
I don't want to say you're in the minority; but obviously a ton of people love using the damn thing.

X amount of players still have the Gnasher as their TOD. Hell, you've already gotten Onyx! I still don't see the SOS being too big of a problem. If it really was, i think we'd see a lot less people playing matchmaking.

question; do points shown during a match include ribbons?
Last night in a KOTH match i had 12K points, but in the after game breakdown i only had like 9K and a shitload of ribbons...

unomas

Banned
dmg04 said:
I don't want to say you're in the minority; but obviously a ton of people love using the damn thing.

X amount of players still have the Gnasher as their TOD. Hell, you've already gotten Onyx! I still don't see the SOS being too big of a problem. If it really was, i think we'd see a lot less people playing matchmaking.

question; do points shown during a match include ribbons?
Last night in a KOTH match i had 12K points, but in the after game breakdown i only had like 9K and a shitload of ribbons...

It might be past the point of going back now, all the bitching isn't going to change a thing, and in that scenario I'll definitely use the SOS over the Gnasher. No going back now, Retro and SOS all the way.

I love GoW3, but there are so many crazy hardcore players out there that I'm losing more and more each night, to where I'm lucky to even get a single win in. I'm usually always first on my team too, which makes it frustrating. If I had one wish, it would be for either a classic Gears playlist----only weapons from the original Gears OR a playlist where maps have no weapon drops. I hate that every single Team Deathmatch or Execution game turns into "Who can get to XXX gun the fastest".

Oh...and Gnasher for me. I loved SOS, then tried out Gnasher, and my Gnasher kills compared make the SOS look like a plastic toy.

nel e nel

dmg04 said:

Not to mention that all of the data that Rod and Cliff are citing from the beta shows that there are still more gnasher kills than SOS by a ratio of something like 4:1

Miggytronz

jaekwon15 said:

GAis7.gif

Veelk

Banned
nel e nel said:
Not to mention that all of the data that Rod and Cliff are citing from the beta shows that there are still more gnasher kills than SOS by a ratio of something like 4:1
That means nothing. If a giant bomb exploded once every 50 matches that killed all the players, it'd still be a bullshit death even if it doesn't happen frequently.

nel e nel said:

False. The are 6.022 x 10^23 molecules of water in 18 mL. (Now imagine a whole Olympic swimming pool.)

400/3,000,000 is 1.33333 x 10^-4

Your analogy is so far off its like comparing a spiders footprint to the largest star.

On topic, I wish the SOS has less range. If my enemy can't melee me, they shouldn't be able to gib me with one SOS shot.

Why is Insane locked at the start? For fucks sake. I wanted to do it co-op first time on Insane but no.

SHIT game design.

Can I run through on normal and unlock it or does it have to be hardcore?

nel e nel said:
I'm disappointed that you can't tell the difference between English and Australian accents.
I'm disappointed because he's implying that Act 3 isn't godly.
"Maybe I'm disappointed because since part 2 I have played better 3rd person shooters.."

WUT

TRios Zen

-PXG- said:

I totally agree with this; in versus it sucks, period. It's the range that makes me rage. The RANGE!!

If it really was "within melee range" only, I could live with it.

Jhoan

-PXG- said:

Yup, I'm one of them and I do hate the SOS. I haven't played Horde that much however because I need a solid team to do it with. I'm not feeling it that much until I learn all the tricks and tips to do it. I just hate people who either camp, or rush into people to get a kill with it.

That said, I think it comes down to preference because in the end of the day, it's either you use it or you don't. Either way, it's fair game unless Epic makes an Old School playlist.

I just had few good games with GT's FREIGHT TRAIN68, Lovikar, and Our Plagues so shout out to them. You guys are good. I hope my friend wasn't a burden because he didn't talk. Otherwise, great matches. After using the Retro Lancer, I realized I don't like it that much despite the power. Once I reverted back to using the HB, I was on a roll so I'm gonna stick with the HB/Gnasher combo but I'll switch it up to the SOS once in a while or switch rifles once in a while to spice it up.

mernst23

To be fair I don't think the idea of the SOS is game breaking, i think the ridiculous horizontal spread is. At best it should be hip-fire instagib for a hit box about 2.5 players wide in width, right now it seems like the horizontal spread kills people at about 4-5 player hit boxes wide with an active. I've definitely killed somebody with the SOS who was like 2/3rds of the distance from my reticule to the edge of the tv, and that's ludicrous.

I almost want to convince a couple of my friends to stand side by side and see what's the most people i can kill with a single active SOS shot, because my money is on 4 if not 5.

unomas

Banned
nel e nel said:

I'm wondering if this is skewed by game mode though, in TDM I'm seeing a rather large number of SOS users so the stat doesn't seem quite, maybe the Gnasher is more useful in KOTH? Either way, if those are the stats the SOS is here to stay just the way it is.

I like others would like to see a classic playlist though, take out most if not all of the power weapons and let people go at it. Take a cue from Halo Cliffy, give us more options bruh ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom