• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 3 |OT| BROTHERS TO THE END

Status
Not open for further replies.
REV 09 said:
something that hasn't been discussed much,

the Gorgon sucks. i hate what they've done with it. It was kinda neat seeing the Kantus' dual wield them, but it sucks when the player is using it. I see absolutely no reason to use it, i wouldn't even drop my Snub for it.

Really? I love that fucker. I earned the execution for that before the boltok, cause I always picked it up and perforated people with it. Hammer the trigger, reduce recoil, it's like a mini-assault rifle with a quicker melee.

Ballistik

The Antitype said:
Really? I love that fucker. I earned the execution for that before the boltok, cause I always picked it up and perforated people with it. Hammer the trigger, reduce recoil, it's like a mini-assault rifle with a quicker melee.
Gorgon is OK, and it can outgun people if you have a good accuracy.

Boltok is still the superior one though. I get headshots left and right with it.

quickwhips said:
I think they should make the gnasher range what the SOS is right now. Then make the SOS only melee range. I'm sure that would fix all this complaining we have about the gnasher and the SOS.

No please, no buffing the gnasher just because the SOS has too much range. We already had a ubergnasher after Gears 2 TU6 :p

Ballistik said:

Boltok is still the superior one though. I get headshots left and right with it.

I am the worst sniper in the history of mankind, so that might be part of my preference. :D

Ballistik said:

I approve of this post. Boltok (hipfire!) headshoting is the best thing in Gears.

Coldphire

Neo Member
Ballistik said:

How many shots does it take to down with the Boltok? I haven't used it in Multiplayer yet.

Coldphire said:
How many shots does it take to down with the Boltok? I haven't used it in Multiplayer yet.

3 to the body. But it's better to aim for the head and if he's already hurt most times you just pop their heads. Otherwise, it's two shots and one to the head = headshot, 3 to the body = down. One more shot and you kill him.

Risk Breaker said:
3 to the body. But it's better to aim for the head and if he's already hurt most times you just pop their heads. Otherwise, it's two shots and one to the head = headshot, 3 to the body = down. One more shot and you kill him.
Two (head)shots, one drop. Fun weapon.

I always get beaten to it though :/

Ballistik

Risk Breaker said:
I approve of this post. Boltok (hipfire!) headshoting is the best thing in Gears.
Hipfire is risky though! He'll be in front of me trying to shotgun me while I'm shooting/trying to center the screen on him and, "I'm going to die I'm going to die" running through my head.

Nothing beats that feeling of satisfaction when you do get the kill though.

Coldphire said:

Three body shots for the down. As Risk Breaker said, after you land the first shot, just go for the head because it pops with the second shot.

Robot Pants

dmg04 said:
"skill gap" is a fictitious thing, really.
It's something for people to say and point out when they get killed by a gun that they don't approve of.

SOS takes skill in the sense that you have to get someone close enough to use it on them. If you get within melee range of someone [in the open, especially] it's your own fucking fault that someone 'less skilled' than you killed you.

Man, this is taking me back to the BR spread days of Halo 3
ZOMG SKILL GAP

I know this was a few pages ago, but is this guy for real?

exYle

jaekwon15 said:
In Gears of War 3, I can take cover on Hardcore difficulty, and hide the entire battle. The outcome will be my team mates killing the entire opposing army for me. So if I go searching for ammo too long, by time I return, the battle is won. When a game plays itself for you, it has shitty gun play.
People complain when the AI is shitty
People complain when the AI is competent
People complain when there is no AI
This is why we can't have nice things.

-PXG-

Robot Pants said:
I know this was a few pages ago, but is this guy for real?

He is ignoring the fact that SOS is easily and more likely to gib you at a further range than the Gnasher. That and it only takes ONE shot to do it.

see5harp

I must agree. Hip fire/blind fire boltok head pops are probably the most satisfying shots in the game for me. I think I've only done it once, but it was at a distance greater than 20 ft. Just complete luck.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
The Antitype said:

I loved the Gears 2 gorgon. Not sure what the new one is supposed to do that assault rifles dont.

dmg04

#DEADWRONG
-PXG- said:
He is ignoring the fact that SOS is easily and more likely to gib you at a further range than the Gnasher. That and it only takes ONE shot to do it.
Gibbing someone with an SOS is the ONLY WAY TO GET A KILL WITH IT. <--- this statement is a slight lie, as i was downed by the SOS last night for the first time... but whatever.

Gnashers can down at range.
Gnashers can gib 4 people in a row.
Gnashers have so many more possibilities, but we have to complain about the gun that can really only do 1 thing because it's different than what we've had since 2006

It's a pointless debate. lol-ololol-olololololol.

dmg04 said:
Gibbing someone with an SOS is the ONLY WAY TO GET A KILL WITH IT. <--- this statement is a slight lie, as i was downed by the SOS last night for the first time... but whatever.

Gnashers can down at range.
Gnashers can gib 4 people in a row.
Gnashers have so many more possibilities, but we have to complain about the gun that can really only do 1 thing because it's different than what we've had since 2006

It's a pointless debate. lol-ololol-olololololol.

The fundamental lack of understanding for game balance in this post is just... wow.

Carnby

exYle said:
People complain when the AI is shitty
People complain when the AI is competent
People complain when there is no AI
This is why we can't have nice things.

Retorting to concepts that I did not write about. Good job junior.

Ballistik

Just make a playlist for us old folks from 2006 that hate adapting, and dmg04 and everyone else on that side can be happy.

On a related note, I learned to predict how much fun you'll have in a game if when you join Koth quick matches, the only thing you hear are SOS shots in your speakers going off like fireworks.

dmg04

#DEADWRONG
Ballistik said:
Just make a playlist for us old folks from 2006 that hate adapting, and dmg04 and everyone else on that side can be happy.
While that'd be awesome and tons of people would be happy [including myself], Refer to Halo Reach. They set up a 'Classic' playlist with weapons/gametypes/mechanics that reflected CE and Halo 2, but the classic only had between 300 and 600 people online at any given time.

Lingitiz

dmg04 said:
While that'd be awesome and tons of people would be happy [including myself], Refer to Halo Reach. They set up a 'Classic' playlist with weapons/gametypes/mechanics that reflected CE and Halo 2, but the classic only had between 300 and 600 people online at any given time.
Its not the same situation. There were alot of fixes in Reach that just weren't possible with the in game tools at the time. Also, the classic maps made in forge weren't great remakes, and were paired with the boring colors of forge world.

It'd be alot more analogous to what is going on in Reach now, where the TU fixes are in beta. About 8000 people are playing that now. A classic Gears playlist could potentially garner a much larger audience because the SOS is so polarizing. Even if the population never passes 2000, it would still be a nice gesture from Epic to accommodate players who have been waiting to play classic Gears with no lag (hopefully).

Robot Pants

What I don't understand is Epic. They've been doing everything they can to fight the Gnasher since the inception of Gears. Then they go and create the SOS??!?!?!?!?

dmg04

#DEADWRONG
True. I wonder if the Gear 1 settings would work with Gears 3 maps [like Drydock]. Not to mention we'll be getting a steady stream of remakes with each map pack... hmmmm

If you guys had the choice, would you want Gears 1 settings or Gears 2 in a 'flashback' playlist?

Ballistik

Robot Pants said:
What I don't understand is Epic. They've been doing everything they can to fight the Gnasher since the inception of Gears. Then they go and create the SOS??!?!?!?!?
They learned that all the Gnasher nerfing in Gears 2 turned off the hardcore people. They did the opposite for this and made a gun more powerful to counter it.

Robot Pants

Ballistik said:
They learned that all the Gnasher nerfing in Gears 2 turned off the hardcore people. They did the opposite for this and made a gun more powerful to counter it.

Suppose stopping power and buffed rilfes wasn't enough...

The other day I was gibbed by a SOS and downed my enemy with my gnasher.

To be perfectly clear:

I had a gnasher pointed at my enemy.
My enemy had a SOS pointed at me.
We were out of melee range from each other.
We both fired at the same time.
I was gibbed.
He was downed.

The SOS should only gib if within melee range, if a gnasher is within melee range it should gib as well.

If they fix the range on the SOS I'll be happy. That's the only thing I can legitimately complain about.

see5harp

I do get somewhat emotional when I play this game, even if I'm more understanding than most in regards to SOS power. Last night some asshole after the match was saying "I Play...We win." Being the MVP on the losing side, I retorted "yea you play with the sawed off." He got on the offensive immediately saying "it's in the game, if you don't like the SOS, go play COD." I was incredibly mad but didn't say anything else because I'm too old to be getting worked up over something silly like shittalking in a video game.

tsigo

I just played a few games and didn't see any Big Head mode, but I did get a hidden ribbon for playing in the "Columbus Day Event" (bonus: the permanent exclamation mark over Ribbons is back!).

Grisby

tsigo said:
I just played a few games and didn't see any Big Head mode, but I did get a hidden ribbon for playing in the "Columbus Day Event" (bonus: the permanent exclamation mark over Ribbons is back!).

Should be the top playlist choice in Versus. If you play TDM or anything else you won't see it.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Big head mode is great. It's impossible to stay mad at this game when everyone sounds like they're on helium

It has made the game more challenging now your head takes up half the screen when you're aiming. I've been blindsided so many times.

tsigo

I just realized the other day that the scoreboard on Thrashball actually works. "Home" score is the total COG kills, and Away is the total Locust kills. Pretty awesome little detail.

Grisby

tsigo said:
I just realized the other day that the scoreboard on Thrashball actually works. "Home" score is the total COG kills, and Away is the total Locust kills. Pretty awesome little detail.

I also noticed that if you don't shoot it down it plays a little sports diddy. Oh, and I got killed by it for the first time the other day and visa vi killed another player with it.

Ballistik

tsigo said:
I find it neat too, especially in Koth playlist where you can tell who's dominating each round when you see something like 24 and 5.

I know it buzzes for every kill, but anyone figure out why it plays the little tune sometimes? Seems random to me, but I'm sure it isn't..

Anybody up for some KOTH quickmatches later tonight?

I have to head to synagogue to pacify the parents, but I'm definitely spending the night in tonight after getting blitz at the Canucks game (and afterward) last night.

Let me know.

2San

Sigh there's something wrong with this game. Playing on hardcore the game is piss easy and then you're at act 5 spoiler:
Pretty sure it last chapter when you are on top of that tower and fighting Myrrah. I understand how to kill her, but are there any tips how to do this(exploits are welcome). We either get killed by the locust guards on the ground or the oversized bug manages to destroy the tower along with adam fenix.

edit Playing 3 man co-op.

Oh snap son! my live expired today, good thing I have a 2 day code to use once I finish this weekends worth of overtime at work.

Need to go out and buy some live, it's been like 2.5 years since I last did lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom