• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 3 |OT| BROTHERS TO THE END

Status
Not open for further replies.

REV 09

-PXG- said:
Most people who play Gears on GAF are casual (not meant as an insult) players who only play the game for campaign and Horde. Among those who play Versus, I bet most have an issue with the SOS. Now, of course there are varying degrees of complaints, some claiming it as a minor annoyance and others who hate it with a burning a passion
i disagree with this. the SOS can allow anyone to get a kill, which is why the hardcore hate it so much...not why the casuals would hate it. A casual who struggled to get any kill at all would find the game much less enjoyable than being able to at least trade a few SOS kills. I think the SOS and Team DM make the game much more approachable than previous Gears titles.

Grisby

Not enough talk about Big Head mode in here. Way better then I thought it would be. Hearing Anya yell, "Target my mark" or Marcus's "Who want toast?" in shrill high-pitched voices is great.

TRios Zen

_dementia said:
Speaking of Insane, refresh my memory. In Gears 1 and 2, was it instant death if you get downed or is that new to 3?

To my OLD mind, I would've sworn that it was quicker downs on insane, not instant death. I could be proven wrong though.

@grisby: sadly I'm still at work, so I haven't played big head mode yet. It's on its own playlist, right?

quickwhips

Lets be honest I use mostly the gnasher and its the sniper shotgun. You can active reload and down someone from a crazy distance. The gnasher has way more kills and has a way to long of a range with way to many bullets.

Grisby

quickwhips said:
Lets be honest I use mostly the gnasher and its the sniper shotgun. You can active reload and down someone from a crazy distance. The gnasher has way more kills and has a way to long of a range with way to many bullets.

If you active reload the gnasher it turns into a focused cone of death. Yeah, it does kind of suck getting killed from more then 6 feet with the thing.

-PXG-

REV 09 said:
i disagree with this. the SOS can allow anyone to get a kill, which is why the hardcore hate it so much...not why the casuals would hate it. A casual who struggled to get any kill at all would find the game much less enjoyable than being able to at least trade a few SOS kills. I think the SOS and Team DM make the game much more approachable than previous Gears titles.

And that's the problem. It has lowered the skill gap and has made it easier for people who normally wouldn't be good at the game, to get kills.

Lucius86

Banned
TRios Zen said:
Don't you remember that insane was locked on 1 & 2 as well then?

I have had a lot go on in my life since then, easy to forget. I'm just angry that it recognises my achievements from Gears 1 and 2, yet doesn't unlock it in 3 for me automatically. Very annoying.

Noriega said:
You must be new to Gears.
You must be a patronising cunt?

Lucius and I just wanted to co-op on Insane the first time. I never tried that on 1 and 2, both of which I've finished on Insane.

Nice to see this OT is welcoming to new posters.

Grisby said:
Not enough talk about Big Head mode in here. Way better then I thought it would be. Hearing Anya yell, "Target my mark" or Marcus's "Who want toast?" in shrill high-pitched voices is great.
What? Big Head mode in MP?

TRios Zen

Lucius86 said:
I have had a lot go on in my life since then, easy to forget. I'm just angry that it recognises my achievements from Gears 1 and 2, yet doesn't unlock it in 3 for me automatically. Very annoying.

I think in Gears 1, I played through at all three (normal to unlock insane), hardcore and Insane.

Gears 2 I started on Hardcore, then played again on insane.

This one: I beat it on casual (didn't want the story ruined and wanted to get through it fast) am going to try to do Insane co-op.

dmg04

#DEADWRONG
"skill gap" is a fictitious thing, really.
It's something for people to say and point out when they get killed by a gun that they don't approve of.

SOS takes skill in the sense that you have to get someone close enough to use it on them. If you get within melee range of someone [in the open, especially] it's your own fucking fault that someone 'less skilled' than you killed you.

Man, this is taking me back to the BR spread days of Halo 3
ZOMG SKILL GAP

enzo_gt said:
Event starting today and going until the 10th IIRC. Check the in-game calendar.
Oooh! Okay, now I'm excited to play this. Is it for every mode, or is there a specific playlist?

And also, since the heads are bigger, does that increase the size of the hitbox?

REV 09

-PXG- said:
And that's the problem. It has lowered the skill gap and has made it easier for people who normally wouldn't be good at the game, to get kills.
That isn't a problem. that is Good game design. It has lowered the skill threshold as a barrier to entry, but the game still has plenty of skill and even less bullshit overall than past Gears titles. it's the most balanced and most approachable Gears game to date and still has a remarkably high skill cap. Gears should be about a good team dominating, not about a Leet individual who can wall bounce his way to owning everyone. The SOS neuters wallbouncing and make the maximum skill levels more team based and less individually focused.

Nori Chan

-Yeti said:
Oooh! Okay, now I'm excited to play this. Is it for every mode, or is there a specific playlist?

And also, since the heads are bigger, does that increase the size of the hitbox?
Cliffy said no

TRios Zen

dmg04 said:
It's something for people to say and point out when they get killed by a gun that they don't approve of.

SOS takes skill in the sense that you have to get someone close enough to use it on them. If you get within melee range of someone [in the open, especially] it's your own fucking fault that someone 'less skilled' than you killed you.

ZOMG SKILL GAP

My 2 cents: it isn't just melee range though.

What I mean is, I totally agree, if I get in a CQB with someone and they get right next to me, they could one shot me with a gnasher, melee me down or kill me with an SOS. My failure, not the games.

Sadly, that's not the case, I've been killed many times by the SOS at much further than melee range.

quickwhips

This game is so perfect with the dedicated servers that you realize when they go down how much bullshit can happen with so many people with bad connectons getting host. Cliff please never let the severs go down again when they come back up? ( I haven't played for 24 hours are they back up now?)

Grisby

-Yeti said:

Specific playlist.

-PXG-

dmg04 said:

ZOMG SKILL GAP

Then by this logic, implicitly, there is no such thing as skill in this game sine there aren't any varying levels.

What the fuck?

FYI, it isn't melee range. Not even close. It's massive.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Noriega said:
Gold? How do you get that? Hasn't there been like 2 events only?
I'm wondering this too. Hell I think I have 3 or 4 events counted and I have no idea what those were.

Anyone got a list of the events so far? And is Big Head mode in a separate playlist or not?

dmg04

#DEADWRONG
-PXG- said:
Then by this logic, implicitly, there is no such thing as skill in this game sine there aren't any varying levels.

What the fuck?

FYI, it isn't melee range. Not even close. It's massive.
Lol, I know it's not melee range. It's like.. melee and a half? About the same as a 1 shot down with an active gnasher reload.

And no, the "skill gap" is what i'm talking about. I mean really, who came up with that stupid fucking thing? GAP implies space between skill levels, but really... Does a game have such extremes? 50% suck and 50% are good, nothing in between?

There are different types of skill. I mean hell, you can utterly suck with teamwork but be beastly on your own. You can suck on your own, but be a great team player and put fire on enemies to help others put them down

i hope you guys get what i'm pointing at, but i really do hate it when people say 'lowered the skill gap'.

nel e nel said:
complaining about weapons you get killed by. It's more about hating getting killed by the same thing over and over and over again, and instead of switching up my strategy I just keep doing the same thing.

Man, you can do that in every game with every weapon, switching your strategy I mean. Imagine if the rocket launcher or flak was a starting optional weapon on Unreal Tournament (or the redeemer, lol). Oh of course you can still beat them with a enforcer (snub) if you strafe like a god and have the aim of a thousand snipers. That doesn't make it balanced ;)

But you are a "wall-bouncing gnasher" hater, so it's not use talking about it.

dmg04 said:
i hope you guys get what i'm pointing at, but i really do hate it when people say 'lowered the skill gap'.

But it fucking did. You make most SOS whores play Gears 1, or 2, or even 3 with the gnasher instead and their performance will SINK LIKE A FUCKING STONE.

I'm so glad I'm getting Dark Souls tomorrow for my 360, this game is really getting on my nerves. As usual with Gears :/

I got a second green skin code. So I have two extras now. One I'll hold onto to trade, the other I will post here in the thread whenever I get home. So if you don't have a code, be on the lookout in this thread in about 3-4 hours.

Miggytronz

Ajemsuhgao said:
I got a second green skin code. So I have two extras now. One I'll hold onto to trade, the other I will post here in the thread whenever I get home. So if you don't have a code, be on the lookout in this thread in about 3-4 hours.

BAH!! ima be at kickball!!! FUCK!

ZeroCoin

Noriega said:
Gold? How do you get that? Hasn't there been like 2 events only?

There was a bug that counted each match played during an event towards that total rather than counting it as a single event.

Untracked

enzo_gt said:
I'm wondering this too. Hell I think I have 3 or 4 events counted and I have no idea what those were.

Anyone got a list of the events so far? And is Big Head mode in a separate playlist or not?
I've been on 19 out of 20 since launch day, so it had to be some sort of early bug. Not sure what's going on, but I'm not complaining!

Edit: ^ yep thought so.

HooCares

Neo Member
dmg04 said:
Lol, I know it's not melee range. It's like.. melee and a half? About the same as a 1 shot down with an active gnasher reload.

And no, the "skill gap" is what i'm talking about. I mean really, who came up with that stupid fucking thing? GAP implies space between skill levels, but really... Does a game have such extremes? 50% suck and 50% are good, nothing in between?

There are different types of skill. I mean hell, you can utterly suck with teamwork but be beastly on your own. You can suck on your own, but be a great team player and put fire on enemies to help others put them down

I'm with this guy re:SOS - sure it could use a slight tweak but I think the bigger problem is the maps on which a team can hold down an area like Mercy church with SOS's.

The maps/power weapon locations need a tweak to allow players to bust those SOS campers up. The church roof needs to be mroe open or the mortar range needs to be exdended. Something...

mbmonk

dmg04 said:

There is a "skill gap" for each particular skill. Of course there are different skills and people will have different levels of proficiency at those skills... thus the 'skill gap'.

I am highly skilled at ordering food from the drive through window. A newbie couldn't place an order as efficiently as me. Over time, and much weight gain he will be able to, but there is a skill gap at first. I wish the link to David Sirlin's KFC Combo FAQ wasn't dead. It was insanely funny stuff.

Marleyman

Banned
I played Horde last night with a good group of guys on Insane with the laugh track. The laugh track was hilarious, especially because when we said something, funny or not, the laugh track would kick in and crack us up.

Carnby

Ramirez said:
I'm sorry, but lol. Uncharted's gunplay is so bad compared to Gears...

In Gears of War 3, I can take cover on Hardcore difficulty, and hide the entire battle. The outcome will be my team mates killing the entire opposing army for me. So if I go searching for ammo too long, by time I return, the battle is won. When a game plays itself for you, it has shitty gun play.

REV 09

something that hasn't been discussed much,

the Gorgon sucks. i hate what they've done with it. It was kinda neat seeing the Kantus' dual wield them, but it sucks when the player is using it. I see absolutely no reason to use it, i wouldn't even drop my Snub for it.

REV 09 said:

the Gorgon sucks. i hate what they've done with it. It was kinda neat seeing the Kantus' dual wield them, but it sucks when the player is using it. I see absolutely no reason to use it, i wouldn't even drop my Snub for it.
Yeah, it's going to take forever to unlock that execution.

Triz

REV 09 said:

If you manage to get close the gorgon is a beast. Problem is most of the times you are better off with the shotgun from that range.

-PXG-

REV 09 said:

Get an active....

Dan Yo

Banned
dmg04 said:

The skill hierarchy ends at a certain point and then it just comes down to which player is the most patient. Usually the end of the match consists of a couple of players waiting behind cover with their gnashers for the other to move in so that they can have the advantage over them. The more patient player who is content camping it out will usually win, while the other one who is sick of camping and drawing rounds will try to move in and usually lose.

This is the fundamental issue with giving the gnasher such a long range, large magazine, and a fast reload. It's easy to just wait behind corners and strafe in and out, popping shots until the other player either runs and camps and waits for you to become impatient, or dies trying to end this camping nonsense.

I'd rather the SOS become the default shotgun and the gnasher be a pick up than the other way around. At least this cheese tactic is not possible with the SOS.

Coldphire

Neo Member
This game has finally clicked for me in the last few nights on Team Deathmatch. I went from finishing matches at 4 and 3 with 6 downs to 10 and 3 with 13 downs. It all started when I switched the Retro as my main rifle, but I really think it has to do with learning the maps and weapon spawns and learning when to run away. I'm almost always get the ribbon for the fewest deaths. I'm not sure if this is the proper way to play Gears Multiplayer, but it is working for me so far.

quickwhips

I think they should make the gnasher range what the SOS is right now. Then make the SOS only melee range. I'm sure that would fix all this complaining we have about the gnasher and the SOS.

Nori Chan

ZeroCoin said:
There was a bug that counted each match played during an event towards that total rather than counting it as a single event.
Yeah I heard about that, it was patched already.

Plus I'm sure he would've gotten onyx lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom