• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 3 |OT| BROTHERS TO THE END

Status
Not open for further replies.

K' Dash

Robot Pants said:
Play some Dark Souls. That outta relax ya.....

You mean Crushed Souls
LLShC.gif
fuck if that game isn't the most dificult piece of entertainment software I ever laid my hands on.

zlatko

Banned
If you end up doing Rage aim for PC version. I'm on PS3 version and cannot recommend it due to the INSANE amounts of pop in going on 24/7. It's a joke.

As for this game I'm on my break till title update and will pop in it once in a while for events towards Warmonger medal. After RAGE I'll do Dark souls, then batman, then BF3, then UC3, and so on and so forth.

;) Shame because I love me some Gears 3, but without a full group of 5 the SOS just destroys my fun, and even with a full group you can have some stupid games i.e play with a group of killers (myself, pxg, his buddy) and none of us go positive in k/d to guys with 1.1k/ds and lower. -_-

KaYotiX

Banned
K' Dash said:
PLAY SOMETHING ELSE, dude you've been on this game 24/7 since launch, you're level 100, holy fuck! let it rest for a while, play rage or some XBLA game to ease your soul.
This and of all the ppl raging about the SOS I'm betting alot are gnasher users who like get up close. I usually have no problem with the SOS because I like to keep my distance with the retro.

Sigh.

I got gibbed by a SOS as a dive-rolling backwards away from the guy. So I started the roll about 5 in-game feet away, was mid-roll about 8 feet away, but do to a mix of latency (probably) and the sheer bullshit of that weapon, I died.

This is my problem with the SOS. If that had been a gnasher, the user would have had to AIM the fucker at me, and he would have dealt damage but not killed me.

There is no instance in this game where the SOS makes battles more fun or exciting. None.

It is a grotesque tumor on the face of a supermodel. Excise it and be done with it.

-PXG-

The Antitype said:
Sigh.

I got gibbed by a SOS as a dive-rolling backwards away from the guy. So I started the roll about 5 in-game feet away, was mid-roll about 8 feet away, but do to a mix of latency (probably) and the sheer bullshit of that weapon, I died.

This is my problem with the SOS. If that had been a gnasher, the user would have had to AIM the fucker at me, and he would have dealt damage but not killed me.

There is no instance in this game where the SOS makes battles more fun or exciting. None.

It is a grotesque tumor on the face of a supermodel. Excise it and be done with it.

Oh, you're gonna love this. Check this shit out

LosDaddie

Banned
Gears-GAF, let's unluck some mutators. I'm jumping on now to do some Beast Mode, then I'm going for the Super Reload mutator.

GT: LosDaddie

Let's game

Bazhard

Banned
Alienshogun said:
I'm back.

Anyway, the more I get better at lancer hip fire and constantly keeping that SOB active the less I worry about sawed off.

Yeah, I still have some cheap deaths to it, but the lancer really puts most of them in their place. The easiest kills I have come from SOS users who like to charge. I simply backpedle and hip-fire my lancer to kill them. It doesn't work all the time (that range on the sos is nuts) but it works most of the time.

The problem I have with SOS complaining is that the gnasher can down from a pretty far distance, especially with an active. I'm worried if the SOS gets changed, the gnasher will too.

The only issue I REALLY have with the SOS is that it changes how the game is played, and changes how people play. SOS users make what would be a fun game and shit on it in every way.

For the person defending against them, they have to have the tools to stop an SOS, watch every corner, and refrain from CQC as much as possible.

For the SOS user, they either camp, charge around the map tossing smoke hoping for a zerg rush kill. Or they do some silly ass BK wall bouncing that they think is pro in hopes of getting a lucky blast.

There is absolutely no redeeming value to the SOS and what it has brought to the game.

Oh, and LOL at people saying GOW 2 is better, or that they are "going to quit the game because of SOS."

To them I say see you fucking later. This game is still the best there is on Xbox live.
Both should be changed (SOS and Gnasher, both are OP, i can live with the gnasher but sos? anyone who thinks that gun is balanced is either retarded or such a GOW fanboy that can only kill with it that they cant see the balance issue.

But it doesn't really matter to me because i don't play the competitive scene in this, it's a joke.

Rimfya

Banned
When is it 'safe' to quit an MP game?

I keep jumping on xbox only to keep unlocking the same things I had done the night before. Do you have to press start and quit every time to save your progress?

Also, if you're trying to get that achievement for consecutive games -- sticky tape on the analog sticks totally works.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
-PXG- said:
I'm so close to calling it quits for a while and buying Rage. This is ridiculous...I fucking hate this game so much right now.

You can win half the maps by camping the high grounds or hiding behind corners with the SOS. Jesus Christ.

Not getting good groups bud? I would be joining you more often, but my other buddies keep snatching me up.

I know when you and I get "the good gaffers" with us it's a steamrollathon, same with my group of guys I typically run with.

dmg04 said:
Take a breather, come back november 1st.

Supposedly according to Uleet and Cream the update in November is going to make the game "soo much better," but they can't say what they know, so who fucking knows.

Lingitiz

Bazhard said:
Both should be changed (SOS and Gnasher, both are OP, i can live with the gnasher but sos? anyone who thinks that gun is balanced is either retarded or such a GOW fanboy that can only kill with it that they cant see the balance issue.

But it doesn't really matter to me because i don't play the competitive scene in this, it's a joke.
It has issues (like most games) but for the most part it is one of the best and most polished competitive MP games on the system.

Volimar

LosDaddie said:
Gears-GAF, let's unluck some mutators. I'm jumping on now to do some Beast Mode, then I'm going for the Super Reload mutator.

GT: LosDaddie

Let's game

Super reload makes solo horde so easy. Once I get the horde command pack, I'll bet I can solo to lvl 50. Of course if they ever come up with a fix so my brother can play without freezing I can play with him.

Lingitiz said:
It has issues (like most games) but for the most part it is one of the best and most polished competitive MP games on the system.

This is untrue.

It is technically polished, but the enormously unbalanced SOS, the skew towards short-range combat (which removing the SOS would help a bit), the inconsistency inherent to the gameplay (across all weapons) and the relatively low number of great maps keeps it at the B-tier of competitive MP shooters.

-PXG- said:
I'm so close to calling it quits for a while and buying Rage. This is ridiculous...I fucking hate this game so much right now.

You can win half the maps by camping the high grounds or hiding behind corners with the SOS. Jesus Christ.

OT, but I'm really enjoying the single-player shooting in Rage. Favorite shotgun ever. You feel a lump in your throat and butterflies in your stomach everytime you blast it.

feel

-PXG- said:

Are Epic really gonna let one weapon make this fall short of reaching gears perfection status? Are they that stubborn and unwilling to admit a mistake? It boggles my mind.

Letters said:
Are Epic really gonna let one weapon make this fall short of reaching gears perfection status? Are they that stubborn and unwilling to admit a mistake? It boggles my mind.

Uh, have you ever read an interview with Cliff?

The answer is yes.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Letters said:

Like I said, supposedly there's an update on Nov 1st that's going to vastly improve the game. Rumor is that it's a sawed off nerf, but the people "in the know" aren't saying shit.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Just watched my friend complete GeoW 3 (and it was pretty damn rad), but is it ever explained why
Myrrha looks more human than the other Locust?

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
A27 Tawpgun said:
On a high level the Sawed Off is Armor Lock.

Both break up the pace and flow of the game.

It's still nowhere near as bad as armor lock, imo of course.

LeonSKennedy90 said:
They're nerfing armor lock come November. Its still annoying, but not nearly as herp derp as the current vanilla form.

Is that confirmed now?

And did you say earlier that you're leaving GOW 3 for UC3? Wat?

We need to get some games going later with PXG, give him some soothing wins. ;)

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
-PXG- said:
I'll be on later after I'm sure I won't have an aneurysm from bullshit tonight.

lol

Lunchbox said:
marcus' mom

Nope.

Chances are she was a girl who was taken to mount kadar and experimented on (where the sires are in gow 2).

She's definitely not Marcus' mother though.

Korosenai

Alienshogun said:
It's still nowhere near as bad as armor lock, imo of course.

Is that confirmed now?

If Actually armor lock is already nerfed in the beta hoppers playlist.

Alienshogun said:
Is that confirmed now?

Yeah, its confirmed, along with changes to bloom, active camo, and a few other things.

And no, I'm not leaving Gears 3 for UC3 multiplayer, that was so awful, they fucked it up since the beta. But I am playing the hell out of the single player/co-op stuff and Sonic Generations. November in general is just packed with games I want.

I see you online all the time but you never invite me D:

Armor lock is a defensive ability.

This BS is overpowered when used both offensively (rushing at targets) and defensively (cowering behind corners).

Armor Lock is easy to counter. The only counter to the SOS is to stay the fuck away.

SOS is a far worse problem than AL is.

LEGGZZZZ

God why does this game come so close to perfection, only to throw it completely out the window. No social Horde? It's so pointless to start it up because 99/100 times half the team will quit before you even get close to wave 50. It's just completely pointless unless you have a lot of friends who play Horde and a hell of alot of time on your hands.

Then I try out competitive and I'm greeted by the sawed offed. So much fun.

Man if they at least add back Social Horde I'll be a happy camper, but as it stands I'm feeling ripped off of my 60$. Why take out such a great feature and add in such a shitty one? Fuck this game.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
LeonSKennedy90 said:
Yeah, its confirmed, along with changes to bloom, active camo, and a few other things.

And no, I'm not leaving Gears 3 for UC3 multiplayer, that was so awful, they fucked it up since the beta. But I am playing the hell out of the single player/co-op stuff and Sonic Generations. November in general is just packed with games I want.

I see you online all the time but you never invite me D:

Yeah, I have 3 groups I play with. An "unclan" of older guys like myself who play (we are all 30+, but they are getting pretty shitty at the game), NeoGAF guys, and the guys I play with that I met on Epic forums and a stream. I mostly play with the stream guys. It all depends on who invites me first, or who is on when I get on. I don't discriminate and I don't jump from one to the other unless I promised before hand to either play with someone, or to work on achievements, like last night when I had to leave PXG's room.

So it's nothing personal, just timing.

That's great news about Halo, I may check that out in a bit.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
Does anyone know if the fire extinguisher on the mall level does anything? That was an awesome Easter egg.

Seems like people have found a lame camping spot on trenched, just camp at the long shot point and teams often just queue up to die. It's so hard to get up there if you're not organised.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
kaizoku said:
Does anyone know if the fire extinguisher on the mall level does anything? That was an awesome Easter egg.

You take it to the side with the other alarm and put that fire out, then you get a "treat" behind the barred window.

kaizoku said:
Seems like people have found a lame camping spot on trenched, just camp at the long shot point and teams often just queue up to die. It's so hard to get up there if you're not organised.

What you call "camping" others call map control.

Grenades, especially ink and smoke are your best friend at assaulting these spots.

Unfortunately some maps like overpass are horridly imbalanced and make that neigh impossible.

Ballistik

kaizoku said:

It's a pretty complicated Easter egg. Search on youtube, it's not just putting a fire out and seeing a shopping cart pass by the window. It involves a hat that you need to shoot. Outcome is pretty random but worth it.

kaizoku

Alienshogun said:
You take it to the side with the other alarm and put that fire out, then you get a "treat" behind the barred window.

What you call "camping" others call map control.

Grenades, especially ink and smoke are your best friend at assaulting these spots.

Unfortunately some maps like overpass are horridly imbalanced and make that neigh impossible.
In that case it's not map control though is it cos you don't control the map, you try to snipe at players and basically hide there and kill people who come to get you. Overpass and the jungle map are map control positions.

You don't control the map there in trenched because it's kind of out of the way, dead end, doesn't threaten anyone else unless they're stupid or rush you.

Seems the only way to really assault that location is with a coordinated attack but that's very team specific. You could get the mortar if you throw a smoke and try to take them out with that.

It's clearly designed as an area to entrench yourself down in and challenge others to assault you, hence the grenades on the side, the digger and mortar infront but picking those up os often risky against a well organised team. Twice now I've found it difficult to rally my team of randoms to do anything but rush in and die or just hold out for a draw.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
kaizoku said:
In that case it's not map control though is it cos you don't control the map, you try to snipe at players and basically hide there and kill people who come to get you. Overpass and the jungle map are map control positions.

You don't control the map there in trenched because it's kind of out of the way, dead end, doesn't threaten anyone else unless they're stupid or rush you.

Seems the only way to really assault that location is with a coordinated attack but that's very team specific. You could get the mortar if you throw a smoke and try to take them out with that.

It's clearly designed as an area to entrench yourself down in and challenge others to assault you, hence the grenades on the side, the digger and mortar infront but picking those up os often risky against a well organised team. Twice now I've found it difficult to rally my team of randoms to do anything but rush in and die or just hold out for a draw.

My point was about your camping comment.

Anyway, that trenched part in conjunction with "owning" both box sides to the left and right of mortar make for complete map control on trenches.

Ballistik said:
It's a pretty complicated Easter egg. Search on youtube, it's not just putting a fire out and seeing a shopping cart pass by the window. It involves a hat that you need to shoot. Outcome is pretty random but worth it.

Ah, there's more? Didn't know that.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
-PXG- said:
Although it's from the beta, this is a great video explaining why those don't like the SOS and how it currently functions and effects the game

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pIoSPvUDFE&feature=related
This is a pretty damn coherent reply to the topic and he's right about nearly all his points, I just disagree with the Gears' franchise's staple quality which is that you should have a swiss army knife at all times (previously the Gnasher, currently the Gnasher or the SOS) that is ultimately more effective and can be effectively used exclusively to confirm a kill. I don't agree with the subjugation of rifles in the entire series, even though the retro lancer and some of the buffs to the other two rifles is meant to remedy that (the reason why Gears 3 is so much better than it's predecessor).

It's all the same shit to me, the shotguns in general take the so called killing potential and lower it arsenal-wide because it allows the tolerance of the lack of experience in the rifle department. "Respecting" other's tolerance of broken shit just cause it's been broken and manipulated for a while is not a concept I'm fond of when the reason I and a whole bunch of other people ducked out of multiplayer before was because of that imbalance. I don't agree with tailoring to the broken-ness out of obligation to the core community just because they're used to it, and setting up a wall for newcomers to the series, but at the same time the SOS giving newbies a shot isn't a perfect solution either. Making it sound like you either have an overpowered shotgun or you have it rendered useless makes it seem more cut-and-dry than it should be. Why can't the shotgun be effective but balanced?

Stuff like wanting a "campy assault rifle based game" (whatever that means) its just as bad as wanting a "campy shotgun based game," I'd argue the latter is much, much worse too.

My proposed changes:

Give the Gnasher SOS range of bullet dropoff. (seriously there's no reason why that fucking shit should go so far anyways)
Give the SOS half of that range, keep it's wide horizontal spread.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
On this stream they just confirmed that in the next TU in KOTH there will be an indicator on where the ring is going next.

enzo_gt said:
This is a pretty damn coherent reply to the topic and he's right about nearly all his points, I just disagree with the Gears' franchise's staple quality which is that you should have a swiss army knife at all times (previously the Gnasher, currently the Gnasher or the SOS) that is ultimately more effective and can be effectively used exclusively to confirm a kill. I don't agree with the subjugation of rifles in the entire series, even though the retro lancer and some of the buffs to the other two rifles is meant to remedy that (the reason why Gears 3 is so much better than it's predecessor).

It's all the same shit to me, the shotguns in general take the so called killing potential and lower it arsenal-wide because it allows the tolerance of the lack of experience in the rifle department. "Respecting" other's tolerance of broken shit just cause it's been broken and manipulated for a while is not a concept I'm fond of when the reason I and a whole bunch of other people ducked out of multiplayer before was because of that imbalance. I don't agree with tailoring to the broken-ness out of obligation to the core community just because they're used to it, and setting up a wall for newcomers to the series, but at the same time the SOS giving newbies a shot isn't a perfect solution either. Making it sound like you either have an overpowered shotgun or you have it rendered useless makes it seem more cut-and-dry than it should be. Why can't the shotgun be effective but balanced?

Stuff like wanting a "campy assault rifle based game" (whatever that means) its just as bad as wanting a "campy shotgun based game," I'd argue the latter is much, much worse too.

My proposed changes:

Give the Gnasher SOS range of bullet dropoff. (seriously there's no reason why that fucking shit should go so far anyways)
Give the SOS half of that range, keep it's wide horizontal spread.

I don't know about most people here, but my lancer gets more use than my gnasher typically. My stats actually show my gnasher at 21% and my lancer at 20% of all my kills.

The bitching about shotguns in GOW 3 is a bit absurd. If you can rifle, you can dominate in this game.

That said, you better have a good gnasher game too.

2th

Banned
Alienshogun said:
On this stream they just confirmed that in the next TU in KOTH there will be an indicator on where the ring is going next.

I don't know about most people here, but my lancer gets more use than my gnasher typically. My stats actually show my gnasher at 21% and my lancer at 20% of all my kills.

The bitching about shotguns in GOW 3 is a bit absurd. If you can rifle, you can dominate in this game.

That said, you better have a good gnasher game too.
what stream were you watching to hear that about koth

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
2th said:
what stream were you watching to hear that about koth

The NJ halo tournament.

I'm sure they weren't supposed to let that out, I'm hoping they let more shit slip.

However, I realize you're gonna let your banhammer buddy know, so there's that, haha.

kaizoku

Alienshogun said:
My point was about your camping comment.

Anyway, that trenched part in conjunction with "owning" both box sides to the left and right of mortar make for complete map control on trenches.

Ah, there's more? Didn't know that.

eh, if a group of guys are hidden in a ditch on top of a hill waiting for guys to come to them to get killed its camping, why are we having this debate?

I don't really think you can get complete map control on trenched. You can get campers or teams who rush around to their deaths but the routes and locations are numerous enough that you can never have a team locked down like you can on Drydock, Sandbar and Overpass.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
kaizoku said:
eh, if a group of guys are hidden in a ditch on top of a hill waiting for guys to come to them to get killed its camping, why are we having this debate?

I don't really think you can get complete map control on trenched. You can get campers or teams who rush around to their deaths but the routes and locations are numerous enough that you can never have a team locked down like you can on Drydock, Sandbar and Overpass.

Debate? I'm not debating.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom