• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 3 |OT| BROTHERS TO THE END

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ballistik said:
Just joined quick TDM match by myself and to my luck, NOBODY on the other team was using the SOS.

I went 18-2 in two rounds and then 17-3 in the following game.

Yeah, I've been noticing more gnasher users lately.

2th

Banned
Alienshogun said:
Yeah, I can't see violating that trust, just seems like a bad idea to me.
You make the mistake once. You get bitched at. You never do it again. We shall see if the people Crream talks to say anything to him. It reminded me though i should have asked about that stuff tonight but The shit talking in my crowd is usually too funny for me to ask a lot of questions half the time.

-PXG- said:
When someone leaves my room, I will send you an invite.
You always invite me at the worst times in the evening you know that right?

njean777

The Antitype said:
I don't think you've played the game.

Certainly not online for more than 10 minutes.

As far as AL vs. SOS in terms of game-breaking severity, agree to disagree. I've never had any problem countering an Armor Lock player, and it has some strategic usefulness in vehicle-based gametypes. Hell, even in slayer, if somebody wants to light themselves up like an xmas tree and stick themselves in place, I've got no issue. Not hurting me.

Pretty sure I am level 47 with at least 100 tdm matches, the SOS is not hard to counter, I use it and miss plenty of times. Not to mention I see more people with gnashers more then any weapon. The range on the gnashers is ridiculous compared to the SOS. Just use lancer if you see the SOS or retro if you like the retro lancer. Also it's easy to know if they have an SOS due to the light on the front of the weapon. It's not op, if anything needs to be changed it is the range on the gnasher IMO. Quit complaining and learn to counter the weapon at hand. I was just like you when I first started to play the online portion of the game and after learning from my mistakes I started to counter all the SOS users and now I rarely die from the weapon at all. Its the gnasher that kills me the most now, but that could be due to everybody using it as an assault rifle.

Compared to the gnasher the SOS is nothing, the range is limited, only 4 shots, and a long ass reload time where you can close the gap.

quickwhips

Ballistik said:
Just joined quick TDM match by myself and to my luck, NOBODY on the other team was using the SOS.

I went 18-2 in two rounds and then 17-3 in the following game.

what did you get most of your kills with?

Ballistik

quickwhips said:
what did you get most of your kills with?
Gnasher primarily of course! Lancer and longshot, probably around 4 kill with each.

If you're trying to prove a point about using the shotgun too much or something, I have like 76% of my starting gun kills with the Gnasher according to the in-game stats. (To help you out)

27-0 record in ranked TDM, 2.6 K/D. :D Had to leave PXG, waking up early tomorrow.

-PXG-

Ballistik said:
Gnasher primarily of course! Lancer and longshot, probably around 4 kill with each.

If you're trying to prove a point about using the shotgun too much or something, I have like 76% of my starting gun kills with the Gnasher according to the in-game stats. (To help you out)

27-0 record in ranked TDM, 2.6 K/D. :D Had to leave PXG, waking up early tomorrow.

You left at the worst time too. Our next match was a tough.

in my short time with the game, I say the SoS ruins close combat; it's overpowered and not fun to use on top of it

and the spawning in most of the modes suck, I constantly see teams spawning at my backside. Most shooters with respawning spawn the other team as far away from opponents as possible, Gears seems to do the opposite, which is unnecessary considering how small the maps are.

njean777

computers putin' said:
in my short time with the game, I say the SoS ruins close combat; it's overpowered and not fun to use on top of it

and the spawning in most of the modes suck, I constantly see teams spawning at my backside. Most shooters with respawning spawn the other team as far away from opponents as possible, Gears seems to do the opposite, which is unnecessary considering how small the maps are.

When they call out "Enemy reinforcements" that means run away from that spawn, that is when they will spawn behind you. Also how has it ruined close combat? You mean shooting a gnasher off 2-4 times watching two people going at it is good close combat? Cuz to me its looks unbelievably stupid.

njean777 said:
When they call out "Enemy reinforcements" that means run away from that spawn, that is when they will spawn behind you. Also how has it ruined close combat? You mean shooting a gnasher off 2-4 times watching two people going at it is good close combat? Cuz to me its looks unbelievably stupid.

thanks, i'll look out for that

Yeah, it looked stupid, but it was fun. All the SoS use renders close combat as a mess of cheap, unsatisfying, one shot kills that's chessier than any of the shottie whoring seen in the series before.

3.3 k/d probably fucking went down. Fucking teammates (my friends btw) wouldn't fucking stay Digger on Old Town. That area is just too important, enemies can only come from two directions and are funneled right to you.

Goddammit.

dmg04

#DEADWRONG
The Xtortionist said:
3.3 k/d probably fucking went down. Fucking teammates (my friends btw) wouldn't fucking stay Digger on Old Town. That area is just too important, enemies can only come from two directions and are funneled right to you.

Goddammit.
Don't even get me started on this kind of crap.

Too many times tonight i was like 'what the fuck why am i the ONLY one rushing the most important area of the map off spawn'

dmg04 said:

Too many times tonight i was like 'what the fuck why am i the ONLY one rushing the most important area of the map off spawn'

because we're like level 18 and don't know wtf is going on -_-

-PXG-

The Xtortionist said:
Fucking pisses me the hell off when I lose on maps that only have one viable strategy. Old Town, Sandbar, Overpass, Thrashball...

Goddammit.

dmg04 said:

You two need to join me and Ballistik. If the four of us played, plus a fifth, we'd never lose.

I am officially done with this game until something is done with the Sawed-Off Shotgun. Either nerfed or removed completely. I have had enough.

Nothing has infuriated me as much as absolutely pouring Retro Lancer rounds into someone only for them to continue running at me full speed and explode me with the Sawed-Off.

It was fun while it lasted, but fuck Gears 3. And fuck Epic. You goddamn idiots can't figure anything out.

Jaguar

Anyone else hoping that the release of BF3 and MW3 (and Halo CEA and Uncharted 3 I guess) will take away some of the sawed off users?

Really hoping that's the case.

Ballistik

Jaguar said:
Anyone else hoping that the release of BF3 and MW3 (and Halo CEA and Uncharted 3 I guess) will take away some of the sawed off users?

Really hoping that's the case.
Never thought about that actually, but you have a point. All the new players are having fun blasting everyone with the SOS right now that the game is fresh. Once they move on, the number of SOS users might dwindle.

Ballistik said:
But let's be like zlatko, 2.0+ overall K/D's only ;)

K/D is all that matters in TDM.

I don't play for kills, I play to stay alive. Because if the enemy team isn't getting kills, they simply can't win. Any kills that come my way are just icing on the cake. Someone might think that getting 15 kills in a TDM is impressive, but it's completely worthless if they died 14 or 15 times. I don't always get more than 8 or 10 kills, but I can rest easy knowing I only cost my team 3 or less spawns over the course of the match.

Like on Sandbar TDM, if all 5 of our guys are on Digger (LIKE THEY FUCKING SHOULD BE), and we're winning, why chase kills? The enemy can't do anything, and therefore they can't win. We have them in checkmate.

tl:dr, Preservation of life > hunting kills. My philosophy in TDM games. My stats might seem impressive, but I assure you I'm nowhere near the best in the game. I can't wallbounce for shit, and my Gnasher is lacking. Smart play and positional awareness keeps me alive to get those ratios.

Ballistik said:
Never thought about that actually, but you have a point. All the new players are having fun blasting everyone with the SOS right now that the game is fresh. Once they move on, the number of SOS users might dwindle.

SOS is way too good in conjunction with wallbouncing. Epic QA probably can't wallbounce for shit, therefore they don't understand why it's that effective.

Jaguar

I've been thinking for a while that maybe Epic's strategy is just that once the buzz for Gears 3 has died off and all the casual Gears fans have migrated over to Battlefield, Call of Duty, etc. they'll say "okay, only the dedicated are left now so we can nerf the sawed-off and stop catering to casual players". Maybe I'm just thinking too optimistically though.

At this point, if Epic nerfs the sawed-off, I'd definitely be able to look past the dumb prices for weapon skins, charging for on-disc DLC and locking the new DLC maps out of matchmaking. (not to mention the lack of dedicated servers)

AnEternalEnigma said:
I am officially done with this game until something is done with the Sawed-Off Shotgun. Either nerfed or removed completely. I have had enough.

Nothing has infuriated me as much as absolutely pouring Retro Lancer rounds into someone only for them to continue running at me full speed and explode me with the Sawed-Off.

It was fun while it lasted, but fuck Gears 3. And fuck Epic. You goddamn idiots can't figure anything out.

h3Fx3.jpg

Furious netizen!!

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
If your K/D ratio is under 8.6, I can't roll with you guys. Playing for fun is for suckers, I play to win bruh. I only play with people with a K/D ratio higher than 8.6. No less.

To compensate for my presumably terrible K/D ratio.

dmg04

#DEADWRONG
Ballistik said:
You're cool though no matter what you're k/d is, you're from San Diego! It's the closest anyone will get to me.
AW HELL YEEEEEEEEEEEEE

imma roll SOS and die every 2 minutes now

Honestly I'm not that serious, but I'm a little pissed because I got into it with one of my pals while playing. After telling everyone to fucking stay on Digger (Old Town), he was all like like "shut up". Then I was like, "Uh, I've only died twice and am positive while you've died 8 times and are negative". Then he was like "Well you play like a pussy" so I was like "Maybe but if that's why I have the highest k/d on the team, it obviously works".

Don't talk shit to me when you're clearly contributing to the other team's lead.

Fuck.

enzo_gt said:
If your K/D ratio is under 8.6, I can't roll with you guys. Playing for fun is for suckers, I play to win bruh. I only play with people with a K/D ratio higher than 8.6. No less.

To compensate for my presumably terrible K/D ratio.
Brb, playing horde to get that k/d ratio

backflip10019 said:
Convinced my girlfriend to play a couple of matches against casual bots. She's never played a shooter or Gears game before. Got a no scope headshot with a Longshot on her first shot. Not bad.
Haha, she's a keeper.

This game is so mean to me... when I'm playing on autopilot without giving much thought to what I'm doing I body everyone effortlessly, even manage kills that are complete bullshit from my perspective and shouldn't happen. But when I'm carefully placing my shots with total certainty that the guy should go down or explode in a fountain of giblets, they sponge like motherfuckers and gib me instead. It never fails.

njean777

Just for some opinions why do we think the SOS is OP? I am just wondering. I already said my two cents about it, and stand by my opinion, but I would like to get some insight from others.

Jaguar

Don't need to aim with it, range is greater than the gnasher. Completely ruins CQC and KotH.

Also the way it makes people play (this doesn't make it OP but it gets so old when people rush in with the sawed-off, either get their kill or they miss, then they run away until they reload and do the same thing again)

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
I hit lvl 49 tonight, hitting 50 will be the last possible achievement for the time being and then I'm out.

Gears 3 has reminded me why I primarily play single player games.

Some dude actually took the time to type out some hate filled message on live and sent it.

The amount of anger out there is just scary.

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
Still haven't gotten very far into the SP campaign, too much work, but what's really bother me so far is how much my team mates are killing the enemies. Even when I get close to dying I don't feel like I am accomplishing enough on my own. Sometimes my AI friends are killing the tougher enemies and sometimes they don't. It's really putting a dampening on the experience for me. And there's usually not enough enemies on screen to go around.

I can completely understand how much fun it could be with 3 friends, but comparing the SP experience to other SP experiences I don't feel like it's me against these creatures. For someone who likes to take their time playing games on their own, this makes a big impact on the experience. I hope the game feels a bit tighter the further I get but so far the implementation of four-player co-op in the "SP" campaign has really made it less enjoyable for people who play the game by themselves...

Not enjoying this nearly as much as I thought I would. I enjoy set-pieces, but few of the set-pieces so far affect gameplay which they do in other recent games I've played. Really disappointed so far. It sure still looks pretty though.

Oh, and getting hit by an exploding arrow feels cheap in SP. I pay attention to my surroundings and the chatter but I still from time time to time just out of nowhere get hit by them and explode.

kneePat

Thunderbear said:
Still haven't gotten very far into the SP campaign, too much work, but what's really bother me so far is how much my team mates are killing the enemies. Even when I get close to dying I don't feel like I am accomplishing enough on my own. Sometimes my AI friends are killing the tougher enemies and sometimes they don't. It's really putting a dampening on the experience for me. And there's usually not enough enemies on screen to go around.

I can completely understand how much fun it could be with 3 friends, but comparing the SP experience to other SP experiences I don't feel like it's me against these creatures. For someone who likes to take their time playing games on their own, this makes a big impact on the experience. I hope the game feels a bit tighter the further I get but so far the implementation of four-player co-op in the "SP" campaign has really made it less enjoyable for people who play the game by themselves...

Not enjoying this nearly as much as I thought I would. I enjoy set-pieces, but few of the set-pieces so far affect gameplay which they do in other recent games I've played. Really disappointed so far. It sure still looks pretty though.

Oh, and getting hit by an exploding arrow feels cheap in SP. I pay attention to my surroundings and the chatter but I still from time time to time just out of nowhere get hit by them and explode.

What difficulty are you playing it on? Playing Solo on Hardcore my experience was just the opposite. And you are right, co-op owns except for the last boss.

Kentpaul

When keepin it real goes wrong. Very, very wrong.
Played this last night.. I loved the first two.. but goddam i didn't know consoles could pull of graphics that good.

I can see my self hooking my 360 up again and buying this godly game.

X-Frame

Is there anyone that hasn't completed all Horde levels and would be down to try it today?

I plan on playing a good amount today, but would definitely prefer 4 other GAF'ers with mic's to attempt 50 levels.

rrdein

Neo Member
I am looking for all of the Gears of War 3 skins. These are what I am willing to pay:

Savage Kantus - $11
Savage Grenadier - $16
Mechanic Baird - $11
Commando Dom - $5
Adam Fenix - $11
Infected Omen Weapons Pack - $7
Liquid Green Metal Weapon Skins (from current Jack in the Box promotion) - $5
Golden Hammerburst (from GoW2) - $16
Golden Lancer (from GoW 2) - $30
any unused codes from current Jack in the Box promotion - $1.25 gifted

I can do Paypal or Amazon gift cards. I have references.

-PXG-

njean777 said:
Just for some opinions why do we think the SOS is OP? I am just wondering. I already said my two cents about it, and stand by my opinion, but I would like to get some insight from others.

It's been discussed a trillion times. Read the thread.

or

listen to this guy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pIoSPvUDFE&feature=related

oh and this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLzJNkM6CLM

and this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSgFjLLIFns

and this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUJcpD00L-0&feature=related

and this

http://www.youtube.com/redirect?q=h...f4FbwP9cAe5UsYct8MTMxODI1OTY2MEAxMzE4MTczMjYw

X-Frame said:
Is there anyone that hasn't completed all Horde levels and would be down to try it today?

I plan on playing a good amount today, but would definitely prefer 4 other GAF'ers with mic's to attempt 50 levels.
I still need to do this too. My busy schedule makes it hard, but I'm off for the next 3 days. My tag is Nelsonkildyu if anyone wants to add me.

Arjen

Faith in the xbox live community restored, did al 50 waves with randoms, we only died once in wave 40, good stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom