• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 3 |OT| BROTHERS TO THE END

Status
Not open for further replies.

2th

Banned
Alienshogun said:
The NJ halo tournament.

I'm sure they weren't supposed to let that out, I'm hoping they let more shit slip.

However, I realize you're gonna let your banhammer buddy know, so there's that, haha.

all I want is confirmation.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
2th said:
all I want is confirmation.

Ok, yeah, it came from the NJ Halo tourny from a pro gamer friend duo (Cream and Uli) that have been talking about "knowing" shit about the next update that is going to make the game "awesome and so much better," but giving jack shit for info besides man up rule being gone, and now the KOTH tweak.

Cream is the one who just said the KOTH thing.

Some weapon spawning suggestions, primarily for TDM to reduce camping and help in breaking spawn traps

Sandbar - Move Digger and Boom to where the OneShot is now. Put a Boomshield or ink/incendiary nades at the old Digger spawn.

Overpass - Put Torque and Boom where the Hammer is now.

Drydock - Give both teams a Longshot at their respective nades to help in breaking a spawn trap. Permanent Torque at old Longshot spawn.

Mercy - Open church gate in all game modes, remove OneShot so that the Mortar always spawns.

Robot Pants

-PXG- said:
Although it's from the beta, this is a great video explaining why those don't like the SOS and how it currently functions and effects the game

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pIoSPvUDFE&feature=related

This shit is the truth, son. But we've all said it 1000x over so....
I still don't get why EPIC went and put the SOS in the game when they were SO CLOSE to finally perfecting the balance for it after 2 games. But then again, I look back at Gears 2 MP and it all makes sense.

Also, PXG I've tried to accept 2 of your invites and both times it says I cannot connect to host. I know you have Open NAT and so do I. I wonder whats up?

-PXG-

Robot Pants said:
This shit is the truth, son. But we've all said it 1000x over so....
I still don't get why EPIC went and put the SOS in the game when they were SO CLOSE to finally perfecting the balance for it after 2 games. But then again, I look back at Gears 2 MP and it all makes sense.

Also, PXG I've tried to accept 2 of your invites and both times it says I cannot connect to host. I know you have Open NAT and so do I. I wonder whats up?

I have an Open NAT. My rooms fill very quick.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Alienshogun said:
Ok, yeah, it came from the NJ Halo tourny from a pro gamer friend duo (Cream and Uli) that have been talking about "knowing" shit about the next update that is going to make the game "awesome and so much better," but giving jack shit for info besides man up rule being gone, and now the KOTH tweak.

they need to fix the spawns in KOTH before they do anything else

sometimes you'll spawn right next to the point (like on Old Town you'll spawn at the sniper when the ring is just down by the pistol) but then other times you're literately on the other side of the map.

I was playing on Sandbar and it took 15-20 seconds just to run across the map. ridiculous.

D4Danger said:
I was playing on Sandbar and it took 15-20 seconds just to run across the map. ridiculous.

Well Sandbar is just a bad map in objective for that reason.

I don't see why Epic doesn't pull certain maps from playlists where they don't work well. Sandbar should only be in Warzone, Execution, Horde, and possibly Beast, for example.

2th

Banned
Alienshogun said:

guess the people they talk to are more forthcoming with information. or that Uli and Crream dont respect the people they talk to enough to know when to keep their mouths shut. though it is probably the later.

Robot Pants

enzo_gt said:
My proposed changes:

Give the Gnasher SOS range of bullet dropoff. (seriously there's no reason why that fucking shit should go so far anyways)
Give the SOS half of that range, keep it's wide horizontal spread.

The best thing they can do is level cap it. It sounds stupid, but this way the gun won't be completely taken out of the game, newer players can still use it (I'd say to level 15 at least), and you don't have to split the community with a Classic Playlist.

This way there will FINALLY BE AN INCENTIVE TO USE THE GNASHER FOR NEWER PLAYERS.
This is what is lacking with the SOS, EPIC doesn't give the newer player a reason to switch over and get good with the gnasher.
It's like, "Hey you are approaching the level cap. Better start practicing with that gnasher cause this easy mode shit is going away soon."

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
2th said:
guess the people they talk to are more forthcoming with information. or that Uli and Crream dont respect the people they talk to enough to know when to keep their mouths shut. though it is probably the later.

To be fair, Uleet didn't say shit except for "it's gonna be awesome."

Cream is the one who let shit slip, which isn't surprising. That dude has diarrhea of the mouth.

2th

Banned
Alienshogun said:
To be fair, Uleet didn't say shit except for "it's gonna be awesome."

Cream is the one who let shit slip, which isn't surprising. That dude has diarrhea of the mouth.

Ive made that mistake before and it landed me in hot water. Never again.

Anyways im in the mood to do an insane campaign run with Infinite Ammo and Super Active Reloads on... anyone down for a go? GT: Sweet2th

Tawpgun

There is no way of fixing the sawed off without making it a completely different weapon. To me the onlything that makes sense is to remodel it as a combat knife or something and it would be a 1 hit gib/down if you get meleed by it. Because the melee's in this game are shit anyway.

Otherwise the only fix is to take it out.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
A27 Tawpgun said:
There is no way of fixing the sawed off without making it a completely different weapon. To me the onlything that makes sense is to remodel it as a combat knife or something and it would be a 1 hit gib/down if you get meleed by it. Because the melee's in this game are shit anyway.

Otherwise the only fix is to take it out.

Yes there is.

Reduce gib range on it to gib range on the gnasher. Equal gib ranges, and let it keep the multi kill ability and spread.

Problems solved. Everything else about it is balanced dude to ammo count and reload.

2th said:
Ive made that mistake before and it landed me in hot water. Never again.

Anyways im in the mood to do an insane campaign run with Infinite Ammo and Super Active Reloads on... anyone down for a go? GT: Sweet2th

Yeah, I can't see violating that trust, just seems like a bad idea to me.

REV 09

The Antitype said:
Armor lock is a defensive ability.

This BS is overpowered when used both offensively (rushing at targets) and defensively (cowering behind corners).

Armor Lock is easy to counter. The only counter to the SOS is to stay the fuck away.

SOS is a far worse problem than AL is.
This is way off. People use AL offensively. And the retro is a damn good counter for the SOS.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Alienshogun said:
I don't know about most people here, but my lancer gets more use than my gnasher typically. My stats actually show my gnasher at 21% and my lancer at 20% of all my kills.

The bitching about shotguns in GOW 3 is a bit absurd. If you can rifle, you can dominate in this game.

That said, you better have a good gnasher game too.
Ofcourse if your good at x you can dominate someone who's bad at y. "If you can rifle" is back to the skill/no skill semantics. On paper and in execution, the Gnasher is far more dominant.

Robot Pants said:
The best thing they can do is level cap it. It sounds stupid, but this way the gun won't be completely taken out of the game, newer players can still use it (I'd say to level 15 at least), and you don't have to split the community with a Classic Playlist.

This way there will FINALLY BE AN INCENTIVE TO USE THE GNASHER FOR NEWER PLAYERS.
This is what is lacking with the SOS, EPIC doesn't give the newer player a reason to switch over and get good with the gnasher.
It's like, "Hey you are approaching the level cap. Better start practicing with that gnasher cause this easy mode shit is going away soon."
No, a level cap is ludicrous and out of question. No dev intentionally splinters their community. Seriously, any notion or hint of them drastically changing their multiplayer by removing a weapon put in by design is preposterous and is a cop-out to what is actually balanceable.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
REV 09 said:
This is way off. People use AL offensively. And the retro is a damn good counter for the SOS.

I can't stand the retro either, but it's not nearly as broken as other things.

Lancer IMO is the best counter for sawed off.

enzo_gt said:
Ofcourse if your good at x you can dominate someone who's bad at y. "If you can rifle" is back to the skill/no skill semantics. On paper and in execution, the Gnasher is far more dominant.

No, a level cap is ludicrous and out of question. No dev intentionally splinters their community. Seriously, any notion or hint of them drastically changing their multiplayer by removing a weapon put in by design is preposterous and is a cop-out to what is actually balanceable.

Hence me saying "you better be able to gnasher too."

My point is the complaining about gnasher is absurd. It has many counters, even more so if you count the retro. It's gonna be more dominant because at "it's heart" gears of war IS still about the gnasher. Just as Halo is about the BR/DMR. However, the rifles in this game make being a 1 dimensional player neigh impossible now.

REV 09 said:

Meh, I guess you could argue countering melee's and baiting vehicles into suicide runs is an offensive use of the ability, but otherwise there's no way to deal damage to enemies using armor lock.

All an enemy has to do to counter an AL is wait. If they suspect backup is on the way, they can retreat and reacquire the target, or call backup of their own.

I've put more than 3000 matches into Halo: Reach, and armor lock hasn't bothered me a 10th as much in that time as the SOS has in the time since GoW3 has released.

dmg04

#DEADWRONG
The Antitype said:
Meh, I guess you could argue countering melee's and baiting vehicles into suicide runs is an offensive use of the ability, but otherwise there's no way to deal damage to enemies using armor lock.
Rushing into a group of people, locking when someone melees and popping their shields is an offensive and annoying way of using AL.

getting stuck and going into AL to deflect a sticky grenade back into someones face is an offensive way of using AL.

Don't even get me started on the AL bullshit. That absolutely ruined halo and everything that halo stood for. hahaha.

I really can relate to you guys and how much you hate the SOS. It bugs me every now and then, too. In all honesty, though, the SOS doesn't "pause" the game in the manor that AL does.

When you shoot the SOS user, he can't huddle into a ball and absorb everything you're shooting at him. THAT breaks gameplay more than a 1 shot gib that only happens within melee [and a half] range.

The sos should get a SMALL distance change. Aside from that, leave it alone.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
dmg04 said:
Rushing into a group of people, locking when someone melees and popping their shields is an offensive and annoying way of using AL.

getting stuck and going into AL to deflect a sticky grenade back into someones face is an offensive way of using AL.

Don't even get me started on the AL bullshit. That absolutely ruined halo and everything that halo stood for. hahaha.

I really can relate to you guys and how much you hate the SOS. It bugs me every now and then, too. In all honesty, though, the SOS doesn't "pause" the game in the manor that AL does.

When you shoot the SOS user, he can't huddle into a ball and absorb everything you're shooting at him. THAT breaks gameplay more than a 1 shot gib that only happens within melee [and a half] range.

The sos should get a SMALL distance change. Aside from that, leave it alone.

Exactly.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Alienshogun said:
Hence me saying "you better be able to gnasher too."

My point is the complaining about gnasher is absurd. It has many counters, even more so if you count the retro. It's gonna be more dominant because at "it's heart" gears of war IS still about the gnasher. Just as Halo is about the BR/DMR. However, the rifles in this game make being a 1 dimensional player neigh impossible now.
Just because a counter exists on paper doesn't mean completely balances is it. Again, on paper each of the rifles can counter it. But as long as you can be as mobile as you are in this game, it becomes a Gnasher game quite quickly, not as quick as Gears 1 or 2, but still fairly quickly. You don't even need anecdotal evidence to know this as I'm sure you all play tons of Gears.

And I won't even touch on the "at it's heart" BR/DMR discussion, because frankly it's something I don't agree with (being apologetic towards blatant imbalance in games, which is kind of my whole point here, and occurs to relatively different degrees in different games).

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
enzo_gt said:
Just because a counter exists on paper doesn't mean completely balances is it. Again, on paper each of the rifles can counter it. But as long as you can be as mobile as you are in this game, it becomes a Gnasher game quite quickly, not as quick as Gears 1 or 2, but still fairly quickly. You don't even need anecdotal evidence to know this as I'm sure you all play tons of Gears.

And I won't even touch on the "at it's heart" BR/DMR discussion, because frankly it's something I don't agree with (being apologetic towards blatant imbalance in games, which is kind of my whole point here, and occurs to relatively different degrees in different games).

You want a counter? Be better than the other guy with gnasher. ;)

If you're not getting it yet, I think the game is nearly perfect, all that needs to happen is SOS get gib range the same as gnasher.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Alienshogun said:
You want a counter? Be better than the other guy with gnasher. ;)

If you're not getting it yet, I think the game is nearly perfect, all that needs to happen is SOS get gib range the same as gnasher.
Hey I've been trying to tell people the SOS isn't as hyperbolically bad this entire time. But it is still an issue. Outside of the SOS and Gnasher, pretty damn good.

I posted my thoughts on what the balance should be like earlier in this thread, and I believe wholeheartedly in it.

K' Dash said:
We need 3 people for Horde with Insta gib and super reload!

GT K DashCR
If I wasn't unsure atm on whether I'm going out, I'd totally join you guys.

Tawpgun

Alienshogun said:
Yes there is.

Reduce gib range on it to gib range on the gnasher. Equal gib ranges, and let it keep the multi kill ability and spread.

Problems solved. Everything else about it is balanced dude to ammo count and reload.

The fuck?

It's already "balanced" on paper.

Reload, Distance, Ammo count. Gnasher still has a long range for downing which the SOS doesn't. The problem with the SOS is how easy it is to use with how much power it gets. It cheapens combat and adds no depth to player skill. Meaning if I see someone camping with a gnasher and I believe I'm better than them, I will challenge. If a sawed off player of any skill is camping I back the fuck up and run away. No way in hell. And I hate that a weapon you can spawn with can do that.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
A27 Tawpgun said:
The fuck?

It's already "balanced" on paper.

Reload, Distance, Ammo count. Gnasher still has a long range for downing which the SOS doesn't. The problem with the SOS is how easy it is to use with how much power it gets. It cheapens combat and adds no depth to player skill. Meaning if I see someone camping with a gnasher and I believe I'm better than them, I will challenge. If a sawed off player of any skill is camping I back the fuck up and run away. No way in hell. And I hate that a weapon you can spawn with can do that.

If the gib range is same as the gnasher, that problem, every problem is alleviated.

Alienshogun said:
If the gib range is same as the gnasher, that problem, every problem is alleviated.

Agreed. Even if its gib range were slightly greater than the Gnasher, it would still be fine. A lot of you seem to forget just how limiting the SOS is.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Ballistik said:
Screw it I'm bored. I have another xbox here and I just dug up an old tube tv. I'll be on in 20 minutes.

Fuck, that, noise.

mickcenary said:
Agreed. Even if its gib range were slightly greater than the Gnasher, it would still be fine. A lot of you seem to forget just how limiting the SOS is.

Eh, I wouldn't go that far. As long as the gib range is same as the gnasher that's fine.

The issue is that it's gib range is further than even the gnashers down range.

The SOS gets multigib and lack of necessity to aim.

The Gnasher gets range, and multiple rounds.

Seems like a good trade off if you just give SOS same gib range as gnasher.

njean777

Alienshogun said:
Fuck, that, noise.

Eh, I wouldn't go that far. As long as the gib range is same as the gnasher that's fine.

The issue is that it's gib range is further than even the gnashers down range.

The SOS gets multigib and lack of necessity to aim.

The Gnasher gets range, and multiple rounds.

Seems like a good trade off if you just give SOS same gib range as gnasher.
Are you kidding the SOS is easy to miss your intended target, and if you blow your load to early you are wide open to get downed.

Tawpgun

mickcenary said:
It is limiting.

But thats not its problem.

Gnasher has the potential to be a huge game changer relative to player skill.

The Sawed Off has guaranteed kills that take no effort to get. It will never be as huge as the gnasher, but it breaks up that balance.

If I get out gnashered 4 times in a row I'm fine with it. They were better or I made a mistake.

If I get killed by a sawed off I feel bullshitted.

Ballistik

Just joined quick TDM match by myself and to my luck, NOBODY on the other team was using the SOS.

I went 18-2 in two rounds and then 17-3 in the following game.

njean777 said:
Are you kidding the SOS is easy to miss your intended target, and if you blow your load to early you are wide open to get downed.

I don't think you've played the game.

Certainly not online for more than 10 minutes.

As far as AL vs. SOS in terms of game-breaking severity, agree to disagree. I've never had any problem countering an Armor Lock player, and it has some strategic usefulness in vehicle-based gametypes. Hell, even in slayer, if somebody wants to light themselves up like an xmas tree and stick themselves in place, I've got no issue. Not hurting me.

-PXG-

Ballistik said:
Just joined quick TDM match by myself and to my luck, NOBODY on the other team was using the SOS.

I went 18-2 in two rounds and then 17-3 in the following game.

When someone leaves my room, I will send you an invite.

Convinced my girlfriend to play a couple of matches against casual bots. She's never played a shooter or Gears game before. Got a no scope headshot with a Longshot on her first shot. Not bad.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
X-Frame said:
Is there a way to tell if the dedicated servers are down?

If you're the party leader for your team throw your smoke. If it twirls you're host.

Only way that I'm aware of to check, and that doesn't take into account if the other team is host or not.

Grisby

backflip10019 said:
Convinced my girlfriend to play a couple of matches against casual bots. She's never played a shooter or Gears game before. Got a no scope headshot with a Longshot on her first shot. Not bad.

Train her well.

Vire

backflip10019 said:
Have her use the Sawed Off against PXG.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom