• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 3 |OT| BROTHERS TO THE END

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
2th said:
well if Cliff already spilled the beans...I try to be cool and all and post something cryptic. :(

The problem is that he will never admit the SOS is a mistake. It's clear many people despise the weapon. It's literally Gear's version of commmando lunge, armor lock, (any other hated game mechanic from other games).

It literally is the one aspect of the game that will make people say "fuck you, and fuck your game, I'm out."

While I'm not one of those people (for gears, since AL is what made me leave Halo), I can completely see where they are coming from.

Coming out and posting stats of "how little it's actually killing," doesn't do ANYTHING to reduce how cheap and cheated people feel when it actually kills them. In fact, if anything it only pours salt on the wound and reduces your loyal fanbase.

Four of us beat Hardcore Horde last night on Overpass. We used the Super Reload mutator and it wasn't really that bad; we wiped a few times because we got unlucky with frags and such.

I'm thinking four people can do Horde on Insane without too much trouble using Super Reload + Infinite Clip, and maybe Instagib Melee. Apparently Trenches is the easiest map because you can camp One Shot and just build up one or two barriers.

charsace

Seth Balmore said:
I'm betting SOS has 0.9% of total kills, Gnasher somehow nets 115%, we're all crybabies.
The SOS changes the way the game plays. Biggest change of all is how you can deal with cover campers. You can't tell if they are sitting with the sos or gnasher. In previous gears games I could work my way up and make a run and dodge and out gnasher someone. This is nearly impossible in gears 3 because if 1 sos bullet touches you at close range you're gibbed. My face to face shotgun encounters are also less now because 99% of the time when a guys charges at you while you are looking at them they have the sos. Right now the gnasher is most effective when you have a two body size gap between you and the sos player.

2th

Banned
Alienshogun said:
The problem is that he will never admit the SOS is a mistake. It's clear many people despise the weapon. It's literally Gear's version of commmando lunge, armor lock, (any other hated game mechanic from other games).

It literally is the one aspect of the game that will make people say "fuck you, and fuck your game, I'm out."

While I'm not one of those people (for gears, since AL is what made me leave Halo), I can completely see where they are coming from.

Coming out and posting stats of "how little it's actually killing," doesn't do ANYTHING to reduce how cheap and cheated people feel when it actually kills them. In fact, if anything it only pours salt on the wound and reduces your loyal fanbase.

i disagree on that. When we see the numbers i am sure it wont be like pouring salt in the wound. Say, for example, the SOS gets 1 kill for ever 3 or 4 Gnasher kills. That tells you that the majority of people are still using the Gnasher and the SOS is much more rare than you think. It still has its place sure but it isnt some pandemic in the game.

I personally, do not have a problem with the SOS all that often. Sure the damn thing pisses me off to no end in certain situations when a team runs them 5 deep. but the same is said for when a team runs 5 lancers and does nothing but hang back and lancer. You cant get near shit when they do that. Basically i am saying the SOS has its place and as long as it never sees the light of day in competitive execution im fine. That is the one place i will say for certain the gun breaks the game.

mickcenary said:
6039825410_694a436fff.jpg
why do i want this now?

LosDaddie

Banned
Genesis Knight said:
I'm thinking four people can do Horde on Insane without too much trouble using Super Reload + Infinite Clip, and maybe Instagib Melee. Apparently Trenches is the easiest map because you can camp One Shot and just build up one or two barriers.

I can join, but not until Friday.

quickwhips

Alienshogun said:
The issue with the Gnasher is that even with the nerf it got, the damn thing is strong as hell still, especially on someone with wall bounching skills.

The guys were fine I don't think they need more balance. maybe ones that werent getting used could use a pick me up but other than that it works with almost any gun.

quickwhips

charsace said:
The SOS changes the way the game plays. Biggest change of all is how you can deal with cover campers. You can't tell if they are sitting with the sos or gnasher. In previous gears games I could work my way up and make a run and dodge and out gnasher someone. This is nearly impossible in gears 3 because if 1 sos bullet touches you at close range you're gibbed. My face to face shotgun encounters are also less now because 99% of the time when a guys charges at you while you are looking at them they have the sos. Right now the gnasher is most effective when you have a two body size gap between you and the sos player.

personally I think this makes the gnasher fights more personal and more bad ass when that happen.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
2th said:
i disagree on that. When we see the numbers i am sure it wont be like pouring salt in the wound. Say, for example, the SOS gets 1 kill for ever 3 or 4 Gnasher kills. That tells you that the majority of people are still using the Gnasher and the SOS is much more rare than you think. It still has its place sure but it isnt some pandemic in the game.

I personally, do not have a problem with the SOS all that often. Sure the damn thing pisses me off to no end in certain situations when a team runs them 5 deep. but the same is said for when a team runs 5 lancers and does nothing but hang back and lancer. You cant get near shit when they do that. Basically i am saying the SOS has its place and as long as it never sees the light of day in competitive execution im fine. That is the one place i will say for certain the gun breaks the game.

I think you're missing my point.

This isn't about whether the SOS is OP or gets a lot of kills. It's about how people feel about it in the game, how it changes the game, and the massive amount of hate it generates.

It doesn't have to have a high kill count to have a massive effect on the game, because there's always the "thought/fear" that it's there.

quickwhips said:
The guys were fine I don't think they need more balance. maybe ones that werent getting used could use a pick me up but other than that it works with almost any gun.

Why exactly did you alter my quote? It's not even a clever edit.

Teknoman

_dementia said:
People get worked up over Kill/Death ratio.

mickcenary said:
I can honestly and confidently say that I was a better, more mature person before I knew what the initials "KDR" stood for.

Whats funny is that it even happens in games outside of Gears. Honestly I kinda wish it was more like fighting games where you just have a Win/Lose ratio. Less detailed sure, but then people would just be more worried about winning a match period.

cleared horde on normal with a friend and 3 randoms tonight. wave 50 was crazy fucking hard...goddamn.

really can't imagine this on insane. has someone beaten horde mode insane here?? do you get any cool unlocks for it?

adversesolutions said:
cleared horde on normal with a friend and 3 randoms tonight. wave 50 was crazy fucking hard...goddamn.

really can't imagine this on insane. has someone beaten horde mode insane here?? do you get any cool unlocks for it?

You found 3 randoms who stayed to clear up to wave 50? Who I imagine weren't terrible players as well...your so lucky lol. Always get stuck with 2-3 losers each horde match..makes it tougher than it should be.

nel e nel

Alienshogun said:
I think you're missing my point.

This isn't about whether the SOS is OP or gets a lot of kills. It's about how people feel about it in the game, how it changes the game, and the massive amount of hate it generates.

It doesn't have to have a high kill count to have a massive effect on the game, because there's always the "thought/fear" that it's there.

But if people's feelings about it are based on a false perception, then how does that justify nerfing or removing it?

For you it's a 'thought/fear', for others it's 'time to be more tactical and check my corners'.

I'm not saying that the data can't be spun in any number of ways, just saying that getting killed by the SOS once in a while isn't necessarily cause to break out the torches and pitchforks. For me, anyways.

Dosia

If mutators are used will you still get the 50 wave horde achievement? Also if I have mutators but my friend doesnt how does that work? Will he have unlimited ammo or just the ppl who have unlocked it?

LosDaddie

Banned
Dosia said:
If mutators are used will you still get the 50 wave horde achievement? Also if I have mutators but my friend doesnt how does that work? Will he have unlimited ammo or just the ppl who have unlocked it?

yes

everyone has access to the mutator(s), even if the host doesn't have one and a party member does.

Willeth

Just did a bit of tooling around in Horde, and noticed that the Silverback behaves like other fortifications in that you can buy it for half-price (or rebuild it, damaged, for less if you can't afford the full charge) the round after it dies, but unlike what you'd expect the purchase point is where it died on the previous round, not where its default spawn is.

Also of note - if you stomp around in the Silverback for three rounds killing twenty enemies each time, when your pubbie teammates inevitably die they won't have enough money to buy back in and will quit.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
nel e nel said:
But if people's feelings about it are based on a false perception, then how does that justify nerfing or removing it?

For you it's a 'thought/fear', for others it's 'time to be more tactical and check my corners'.

I'm not saying that the data can't be spun in any number of ways, just saying that getting killed by the SOS once in a while isn't necessarily cause to break out the torches and pitchforks. For me, anyways.

You also are missing my point, again, it has nothing to do with how many kills the weapon has, more how it changes the game.

Comparing kills is pointless, that's like comparing nukes to AK-47s.

The AK-47 has more kills to its credit than the nuke does, but no one would dare say the AK is a more effective weapon, they would however say that nukes change how war is waged.

That's exactly what's going on here. In this scenario a nuke has less kills, however, it changes how the "war" (game) is played.

Posting stats about this subject is entirely pointless as the kill count is NOT the problem, the weapon's effect on the game IS the problem.

Cth

Been trying to get to level 50 in Horde all day, but everyone stops around 20-30 :D

Anyone up for a game?

I've got the InstaGib mutator which should make it easier.

Gamertag: Cth

Dan Yo

Banned
Alienshogun said:
lol, this shit kills me.

People are bitching about using the regular lancer now.
Welcome to Gears. I remember in Gears 1 during a sudden death I took out a guy that was shotgun dancing with his gnasher while using my lancer. When we got back to lobby he basically berated me for not fighting him like a "man" and using the gnasher like everybody else.

I've had people act like that so many times in these games that I just laugh it off anytime someone gets angry that I thwarted their shotgun wall bouncing.

AndyMoogle said:
I don't care if someone kills a guy I've downed across the map. That's fine, I probably wouldn't be able to kill him anyway.

But, when someone kills a guy I'm trying to execute, then I'm going to get pissed. Especially when it's the last guy, and it was obvious that I downed him.

This.

You can kill other people while they are in the execution animation?

Jrmint

Live Free or Die said:
You can kill other people while they are in the execution animation?
Pretty sure he means when you are on your way over to execute him.

I know exactly what he means so I've stopped even risking it and I just shoot them.

reggie

Banned
...The SOS is not broken, for the millionth time. If you do any of the following, you're doing it wrong:

Playing without a mic
Playing without a team
Playing Execution rules
Playing the game like Gears 1/2
Running in like a clown with the Gnasher expecting to beat the SOS.

Play smart, play with friends, communicate, and don't run in unless you have the advantage. Every night that I play this game there's always a few teams that are SOS whores and they always, ALWAYS get steamrolled.

Jrmint said:
Pretty sure he means when you are on your way over to execute him.

I know exactly what he means so I've stopped even risking it and I just shoot them.
Yup, exactly that. Sometimes holding down Y doesn't really work that well when the downed person is crawling. And that's when assholes decides to rush in and steal the kill.

charsace

I can't be the only one that runs into parties of 3+ people that are all using the SOS am I? I can't be the only one that's tired of seeing it? I can't be the only one that also hates it when they are destroying a team and then most of them switch to the SOS and slow the game down to a crawl?

The thing that really pisses me off about SOS users is that they have the audacity to talk trash to me after games and call me a scrub for using the gnasher. Most SOS users are dickheads that try to catch you with that one shot kill and when they miss and then start running they expect you to not put 2-3 gnasher shells in their ass to down them. That's what really pisses me off about SOS users. They're using the trailing wheels shotty and then have the balls to call someone a scrub? This is why I think EPIC should have a playlist without the SOS. Let most of the scrub SOS users camp and play scratch rounds to their heart's content.

I'm having a hard time deciding what Gears of War toy I should buy for my desk at the office. I really want a Kantus, but I'm concerned that it looks too creepy.

AcaKHl.jpg

haha

Damn, that looks awesome. Get it! Which other GoW toys were you debating on?

Anyone looking for green skin weapon pack code? I got one and looking to trade for a Mech Baird or Savage Kantus or Savage Grenadier. PM me if interested.

_dementia said:
I'm having a hard time deciding what Gears of War toy I should buy for my desk at the office. I really want a Kantus, but I'm concerned that it looks too creepy.

haha
I have the Headshot Locust Drone figure :) it's an amazing and very unique figure, but maybe a bit gorey/silly to display in an office? Heheh.

4134kdpey6l._sl500_aa3beu3.jpg

necapsgwhld081en3.jpg

2th

Banned
So supposedly they lowered the bonus points you get. Apparently it wasnt/hasnt been announced. Just something Crream mentioned on Twitter.

Holy crap, I didn't realize I was sitting on a gold mine with the NECA figures. I have the Gears of War Series 1 BOXED SET Action Figure 4-Pack (Marcus, Cole, Locust Drone and Locust Sniper) and Anthony Carmine both still in their original packages. Just looked up prices on ebay, amazon and various toy sites and they are selling between $200-300. CRAZY!

zlatko said:
I popped the game in tonight to try and blow off some steam/loosen up.

Haha. After my deplorable efforts last night, I'm more than certain that "blowing off steam/loosening up" and GoW3 are mutually exclusive things for me. Fuck me, I sucked some righteous balls. WHY CAN'T I BE CONSTANTLY GOOD?!

h3ro

Is the big head mode event over? It says it's on until Oct 10. Is there a specific mode I need to play?

Just got killed four times in a row by the same guy camping our spawn on Old Town.

Feels bad man.

charsace said:
And most people still don't understand how to play it. I've seen people with 50+ level that don't even bother to try and hold the bridge.

The mortar needs to spawn both rounds on this map. The HoD sucks complete wang in terms of getting to the guys who hold the high-ground.

Ballistik

h3ro said:
Is the big head mode event over? It says it's on until Oct 10. Is there a specific mode I need to play?

Just got killed four times in a row by the same guy camping our spawn on Old Town.

Feels bad man.
It said right on the calendar yesterday that it ended October 10th at 9am EST.

mickcenary said:
The mortar needs to spawn both rounds on this map. The HoD sucks complete wang in terms of getting to the guys who hold the high-ground.
Trying to get the Hammer of Dawn to work can sometimes get really annoying. Especially when you're being rushed at but the beam keeps getting interrupted before it goes off.

h3ro

Ballistik said:
It said right on the calendar yesterday that it ended October 10th at 9am EST.
Oops. Thanks man.

Has anyone else had this spawn kill loop? I thought they would change my spawn after the first two, but nope, same spot in the top corner spawn of Old Town.

charsace

mickcenary said:
Even with the mortar the map is hard if you don't take the top. With the HOD its near impossible due to the HOD taking a longer time to rev and not firing up on everything it points to like it used to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom