• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 3 |OT| BROTHERS TO THE END

Status
Not open for further replies.

-PXG-

They made leveling harder? LOL Perfect timing.

Have fun :)

I haven't been on since I'm busy with personal shit and playing the Binding of Isaac. If you have Steam and 5 bucks, be smart and buy that game. So much fun.

Ballistik

mrpeabody said:
So, I friended one of the tags in the OP. How does that work? Can I use it to find people to play with?

Sorry, I'm new to XBL.
You'll be added eventually and have a list of people playing it. Kind of hard to get people even with that because most already have a group of friends and sometimes don't join invites. What people have been doing is just posting in this thread requesting Gaffers for Horde/Beast/Campaign/MP. A lot of the regular posters here already friended each other.

Heysoos

So I'm back to playing Gears 3 after the BF3 beta ended and.... WHERE ARE MY BETA UNLOCKS? :( wtf. I never received them. I wanted my Trashball Cole and flaming weapons. :/

Scarecrow

It certainly felt like I was getting less exp today. Only 3 1/2 levels left till I get to 50. Hopefully I can get there before Arkham City.

Teknoman

reggie said:
...The SOS is not broken, for the millionth time. If you do any of the following, you're doing it wrong:

Playing without a mic
Playing without a team
Playing Execution rules
Playing the game like Gears 1/2
Running in like a clown with the Gnasher expecting to beat the SOS.

Play smart, play with friends, communicate, and don't run in unless you have the advantage. Every night that I play this game there's always a few teams that are SOS whores and they always, ALWAYS get steamrolled.

Well i'm playing right aside from the team, since the majority of my rl friends play COD. I have no problem rolling with random people since you can still run into some of the most awesome people that way. Not every random is created equal, and somewhere around the world you're a random to someone else right? :p

GAF works too of course, always awesome to roll with GAF in any MP game. But not everyone is online at the same time of day, so theres that as well.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Full Recovery said:
Leveling up doesn't mean shit in this game, ooo shiny new skin I'll never use!

I would like an option in the menu to hide other people's level

I know it shouldn't matter but the other night I joined a game with 2 level 100 and it changed how I played. I don't know why but I changed my weapons and went very defensive.

2San

kiryani said:
Nowhere on the internet has been able to help me solve this :(

This is the oddest thing to happen to me in my gaming lifetime.
I have never heard of this problem before. Did you try contacting Epic directly or at least their forums?

tsigo

Is it worth getting used to the Alternate button layout? I've been using normal since Gears 1 and I'm wondering if the benefit outweighs the awkward period where I'm constantly hitting the wrong button.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Full Recovery said:
Leveling up doesn't mean shit in this game, ooo shiny new skin I'll never use!
I know you really wanted that Scarab gun bro, but it ain't happening.

Not sure what you would rather get for level ups. Would you rather experienced people unlock better guns to dominate the less experienced with or something?

DoomGyver

enzo_gt said:
I know you really wanted that Scarab gun bro, but it ain't happening.

Not sure what you would rather get for level ups. Would you rather experienced people unlock better guns to dominate the less experienced with or something?
I was simply commenting on the fact that they reduced EXP in order to make leveling take longer. Epic wants to keep people going for that level 100 so they hold on to that disc, but there is no incentive to keep playing other than a silly number. Get me?

-PXG-

I told a few of the folks I know at Epic that the leveling system was far too easy and lenient. Regardless of how much time people (myself included) have put into the game, there really shouldn't be level 100s floating around. It's way too soon. It's not that much of an achievement, and certainly not anything close to how much work it took in Gears 2.

I might be on tonight, if not, definitely tomorrow. Isaac is owning my soul right now. Plus, I needed a break from Gears. I have tons of other games to play. I'm also going to be away on a trip until Friday evening. By then I'll be craving for Gears once again.

2th

Banned
-PXG- said:
They made leveling harder? LOL Perfect timing.

Have fun :)

I haven't been on since I'm busy with personal shit and playing the Binding of Isaac. If you have Steam and 5 bucks, be smart and buy that game. So much fun.

wondered where the fuck you have been

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
-PXG- said:
I told a few of the folks I know at Epic that the leveling system was far too easy and lenient. Regardless of how much time people (myself included) have put into the game, there really shouldn't be level 100s floating around. It's way too soon. It's not that much of an achievement, and certainly not anything close to how much work it took in Gears 2.

I might be on tonight, if not, definitely tomorrow. Isaac is owning my soul right now. Plus, I needed a break from Gears. I have tons of other games to play. I'm also going to be away on a trip until Friday evening. By then I'll be craving for Gears once again.

Pfft, my buddy sent me a GRO beta key. I'll be rocking that a bit this week. ;)

On topic.

Here's DLC footage from G4.

http://www.g4tv.com/videos/55672/gears-of-war-3-dlc-horde-command-pack-x-play-exclusive/?quality=hd

Edit: Also apparently servers just went down.

Rimfya

Banned
All this Onyx Guard stuff they're pushing -- they'll be the focus of the next Gears trilogy right? Got to be.

I can imagine a more tactical 3rd person experience in the Gears universe. Cliff always talked about Gears not being as tactical as he liked since it turned into rolling Shotgun battles.

Less action/horror, more stealth/tactics. Just please don't be humans vs humans -- boring!

Montresor

I have an annoying problem with the liquid metal weapon skins. I have the season pass already. I downloaded it originally on one 360, and the skin worked there. Then I moved my tag and save data to a USB and moved to my other 360. On that 360 I went through my download history and downloaded the season pass, so now it's on both 360s. The problem is I don't see the skins on the second 360, even though I'm connected to XBL.

zlatko

Banned
Alienshogun said:
I may be away a bit now.

Just got my ghost recon online friends and family beta invite.

100% jealous. I still haven't gotten an email for getting in. Hope I get in soon. I can't wait for Ghost Recon Future Soldier as well, which is my most anticipated game of next year, and Ghost Recon Online could help give me that GR fix until then. :p

They made leveling harder? That explains why the bonuses at the end are lowered. W/e gave me 1K at the end is now 700? It seems like everything is reduced across the board. I'm level 70 so it isn't a big deal and I wasn't in a big race to 100 anyway. Luckily I'm 5 levels away from Anthony Carmine! :D

I put in more quick match games today. I just find them more relaxing overall.

P.S. Someone hook me up with a GR beta key. xD

The leveling system in this game is like call of duty's, which sucks. Anyone can reach 100 by just playing alot. Someone needs to bring back halo 2 and 3's leveling system. It was flawed, but much better than this one.

zlatko

Banned
biosnake20 said:
The leveling system in this game is like call of duty's, which sucks. Anyone can reach 100 by just playing alot. Someone needs to bring back halo 2 and 3's leveling system. It was flawed, but much better than this one.

I wonder if this game is actually just trying to match similar #'s when you play randoms.

In Gears of War 2 when it launched there was a true skill ranking, and then they replaced with the 1-100 system, BUT they kept the true skill hidden in the back for matching people. If I remember correctly that's what they did anyway.

Did they ditch that system? :(

Ballistik

biosnake20 said:
I wish they could perfect the system, because the halo leveling system caused so much boosting and cheating. :/

Then you'll get "1600 MSP for rank xx account" messages all the time too.

Miroku

zlatko said:
I wonder if this game is actually just trying to match similar #'s when you play randoms.

In Gears of War 2 when it launched there was a true skill ranking, and then they replaced with the 1-100 system, BUT they kept the true skill hidden in the back for matching people. If I remember correctly that's what they did anyway.

Did they ditch that system? :(

Ranked matches use true skill and 'matchmaking'

Public matches are like CoD where they just throw a bunch of people in a game depending on location, connection quality, etc...

Korosenai

It's kind of weird how Halo 2 and Halo 3 are the only games that have an actually ranking system like that, and they're my favorites. I love playing for something (the 50 rank), and I still play halo 3 every day to this day. Only game i've played regularly for longer than one year, and it's been out for four.

Ballistik

NubInaTub said:
It's kind of weird how Halo 2 and Halo 3 are the only games that have an actually ranking system like that, and they're my favorites. I love playing for something (the 50 rank), and I still play halo 3 every day to this day. Only game i've played regularly for longer than one year, and it's been out for four.
It sure did encourage me to keep trying to hit level 50. I recall being all excited when I hit level 48 for a few games in Team Slayer, but I was always stuck in 46-47 range for TS.

A similar system in Gears would sure be interesting.

kiryani

2San said:
I have never heard of this problem before. Did you try contacting Epic directly or at least their forums?

I've just registered on the epic forums so I'll make a thread there later.

I just wanna play gears :(

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Was tearing it up tonight with just me and another friend of mine, the two best guys in our group, with three open spots the whole night, and we were undefeated. Favorite match of the night was on Gridlock in KOTH where I apparently pissed off the other team so much with my Gnasher & Longshot that they totally ignored the ring and kept coming for me somewhere in the middle of the second round - to the point that I got an Invincible ribbon (15 kills) without even getting the chance to move from my spot - every time I wanted to move, they came at me, and they died. The Sawed-Off users got the worse end of it all, Supers and Oscar Mikes all night long.

And I end it by blind-firing a Boomshot I got off someone into the corner of a wall and killed myself, when I could have easily took an extra second to aim first - was feeling myself too much there... :(

biosnake20 said:

You´re mixing rank with experience - experience is as you say, the more you play, the more you earn, nothing more, and ranking makes you go up and down based on your performance.

Gears 2 used to have ranking with five ranks before they switched it to the XP system.

Dug

Banned
NubInaTub said:
I just hated Halo 3's ranking system. I was constantly stuck at one rank since I would end up winning like 2 matches and then lose the next and then win and lose etc. I never got past Lieutenant. Then their was the issue of people buying 50's and yeah....

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
i think I'm going to take a break from this game for a while before I smash my controller on the floor

the last few days has been nothing but sos wall bouncing suicide nonsense and it's at a point now where I'm just not having fun any more

Batman comes out soon and hopefully TF2 gets a Halloween update so that'll be nice

I remember in Halo 2 how the XP was always getting worked. At first, the leveling was TOO slow, level 16 in Team Slayer was officially "good", and anybody that was level 25+ was either godlike or boosted/stand-byed. Then it changed to where level 25 was good, and 35+ was the boosters/godslayers. Then it was 36, I believe. The leveling got easier and easier until the point on Halo 2, where I'm at like, level 42 in TS and I swear I didn't play that a lot.

I think Halo 3/Reach has a good system, of ranks in playlists that you level up by winning, AND your own personal level you gain through XP/credits that can go towards armor customization and icons and such.

D4Danger said:
i think I'm going to take a break from this game for a while before I smash my controller on the floor

the last few days has been nothing but sos wall bouncing suicide nonsense and it's at a point now where I'm just not having fun any more

Batman comes out soon and hopefully TF2 gets a Halloween update so that'll be nice

I know that feel. I had a shocking session last night. It made me hate the game and just put me in a massive funk for the remainder of the evening. Curse this game. It can make you feel so boss and happy one day; and the next, like curb-stomp residue on a Locust boot. I put it down to its very nature. It's so personal; every kill may as well be a smack-talkin', tea-baggin' exercise in humiliation.

Montresor said:
I have an annoying problem with the liquid metal weapon skins. I have the season pass already. I downloaded it originally on one 360, and the skin worked there. Then I moved my tag and save data to a USB and moved to my other 360. On that 360 I went through my download history and downloaded the season pass, so now it's on both 360s. The problem is I don't see the skins on the second 360, even though I'm connected to XBL.
I had the same problem..delete the skins from the 2nd 360 then re download them..I heard its a bug..

bs000

Skilotonn said:
You´re mixing rank with experience - experience is as you say, the more you play, the more you earn, nothing more, and ranking makes you go up and down based on your performance.

Gears 2 used to have ranking with five ranks before they switched it to the XP system.

I remember they said that the five ranks were still there but hidden after the XP update.

nel e nel

bs000 said:
I remember they said that the five ranks were still there but hidden after the XP update.

That's exactly what happened. The ranking system never went away, but it was never really visible to begin with. People just wanted a visible rank for bragging rights.

nel e nel

Alienshogun said:
You also are missing my point, again, it has nothing to do with how many kills the weapon has, more how it changes the game.

Comparing kills is pointless, that's like comparing nukes to AK-47s.

The AK-47 has more kills to its credit than the nuke does, but no one would dare say the AK is a more effective weapon, they would however say that nukes change how war is waged.

That's exactly what's going on here. In this scenario a nuke has less kills, however, it changes how the "war" (game) is played.

Posting stats about this subject is entirely pointless as the kill count is NOT the problem, the weapon's effect on the game IS the problem.

No one is missing your point, we all just don't agree with you. I'm not disagreeing that it changes the game, I just disagree that repeatedly stating your displeasure with the changes on an internet forum will not somehow magically make it a true for everyone else. Personally, I like the way it changes the game, and I'm not alone in that. Neither one of us need these upcoming stats to prove that to ourselves.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Full Recovery said:
I was simply commenting on the fact that they reduced EXP in order to make leveling take longer. Epic wants to keep people going for that level 100 so they hold on to that disc, but there is no incentive to keep playing other than a silly number. Get me?
I got you. Epic's thinking "gotta cater to those hardcore's superiority complex though."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom