• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 3 |OT| BROTHERS TO THE END

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShaneB

Live Free or Die said:
Why is everyone all worked up over "kill stealing"? You are playing as a team. If someone kills a person I downed I'm glad for the help. That's the way I look at it. :-/

Personal stats are sadly more important than winning to some (a lot) people.

Square Triangle said:
Just got into the MP and I really cannot believe the amount of people I'm running into that purchased the weapons skins. Fuck, I know it's their money but come on!
Sorry, I'm part of the "problem." Shamelessly, too. I bought the flower pack and one other random one. Running around in Gears with a purple/pink flower retro lancer amuses me so much that it was more than worth it.

To each their own (coin).

Alienshogun said:
They really need to fix the spawns in it first and foremost.

The enemy team you just destroyed should not be spawning 3 seconds later right around the corner.

I'm glaaaaad I'm not the only one to notice this. KotH feels like a clusterfuck of a mode right now.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
As much as I hate Drydock, it was my first game back into Gears since like a week. 25 and 5. Best game statistically I've had.

Robot Pants

enzo_gt said:
Yo.

FUCK that last boss on insane. WTF.

Share your strategies once more for me GAF, to get through that shit that no one playtested. Most inconsistent combat scenario I've ever played in a game. Literally, it's a crapshoot every single time
because you don't know about the hook guys, the flying guys or what will show up, when, and in which quantities.
Complete bullshit. What should I be focusing my fire on? Doesn't help there's no fucking ammo. I'm tempted to say this is worse than RAAM. It probably is.

Also, sorry MASS Xtortion, couldn't play, was cooping it out.

Are you doing it by yourself?
If you are, I thought I posted a video on how to do it really easily. Trying to do it the real way just doesn't work on insane if you are alone.
The last phase is the most important part.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nqv84gqxDKU

zlatko

Banned
I popped the game in tonight to try and blow off some steam/loosen up.

Played... 3 games of ranked TDM? My awful mind set lead to 2 and 9, then 9 and 3, finally I think it was 2 and 7 on the last game. I said fuck destroying my stats and went to quick match.

Played 2 games of that. Went 13 and 0 both. One was Sandbar, the other was Gridlock. I was popping domes left and right. People in quick match are the absolute worst, but it did help me relax and feel better. :p

DR3AM

Dreams of a world where inflated review scores save studios
quick question

when i play TD and i die, sometimes it takes 15 seconds to respawn and sometimes it only take 3 or 4.

DR3AM said:
quick question

when i play TD and i die, sometimes it takes 15 seconds to respawn and sometimes it only take 3 or 4.
I think it's because they release respawns at ceratin time intervals, if you just missed one the time is longer to the next. When it's short it's because it's right before a respawn.

unomas

Banned
zlatko said:
I popped the game in tonight to try and blow off some steam/loosen up.

Played... 3 games of ranked TDM? My awful mind set lead to 2 and 9, then 9 and 3, finally I think it was 2 and 7 on the last game. I said fuck destroying my stats and went to quick match.

Played 2 games of that. Went 13 and 0 both. One was Sandbar, the other was Gridlock. I was popping domes left and right. People in quick match are the absolute worst, but it did help me relax and feel better. :p

Ranked is tougher by far, quick matches let you juice up your K/D ratio because there are some matches where it's 5 humans against 5 bots etc. etc. I've stopped with ranked because I like being able to quit out of a quick match with no penalty if I don't like the map or my team completely sucks, and you can't do that in ranked without penalty. My last 2 games of quick matches I had an 8, 6, and 4 on my team, and we got destroyed, but I went 5 and 5, and then 8 and 8 in the those as the only person to finish even or better on K/D.

I will probably stick with quick TDM matches because it's easier, and I like the lack of penalty system. Playing with randoms can be insanely difficult.

unomas

Banned
Liferebooted said:
This shit needs to drop to $40 on sale somewhere already =[

Got mine for $40 on Amazon with a $20 credit on top of it, then I sold my Savage Kantus skin on fleabay for $23 so Gears 3 cost me $17 not including the credit ;) I'll be using that to get Arksham Asylum for $30 from Amazon.

zlatko

Banned
unomas said:
Ranked is tougher by far, quick matches let you juice up your K/D ratio because there are some matches where it's 5 humans against 5 bots etc. etc. I've stopped with ranked because I like being able to quit out of a quick match with no penalty if I don't like the map or my team completely sucks, and you can't do that in ranked without penalty. My last 2 games of quick matches I had an 8, 6, and 4 on my team, and we got destroyed, but I went 5 and 5, and then 8 and 8 in the those as the only person to finish even or better on K/D.

I will probably stick with quick TDM matches because it's easier, and I like the lack of penalty system. Playing with randoms can be insanely difficult.

I liked testing my mettle, but tonight it was nice to have a less tip top option. Plus the reasons you list are good for having it.

Another good addition for having quick match is since dedi's are down more often than up, at least in quick match you don't have to worry about lag/host, because if it's bad you can bail out, but in ranked you have to ride it out.

unomas

Banned
2th said:
Little birdie told me we should watch the Epic forums tomorrow for some interesting stuff.

Here comes the SOS nerf....

Also, I'm playing only TDM and am a lowly 38, how the heck are people hitting 100 already? Doesn't that take an insane amount of points?

Dan Yo

Banned
Does the Epic emblem mean the person you're playing with works for Epic? I played a ranked big head game with some guy that had the gamertag Epic Designer, rank 100 without playing nearly enough games to be there, and with the I'm Epic emblem.

Guy quit the game after being put down a couple of times.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Dan Yo said:
Does the Epic emblem mean the person you're playing with works for Epic? I played a ranked big head game with some guy that had the gamertag Epic Designer, rank 100 without playing nearly enough games to be there, and with the I'm Epic emblem.

Guy quit the game after being put down a couple of times.

He probably modded his console.

Acidote

enzo_gt said:
Yo.

FUCK that last boss on insane. WTF.

Share your strategies once more for me GAF, to get through that shit that no one playtested. Most inconsistent combat scenario I've ever played in a game. Literally, it's a crapshoot every single time
because you don't know about the hook guys, the flying guys or what will show up, when, and in which quantities.
Complete bullshit. What should I be focusing my fire on? Doesn't help there's no fucking ammo. I'm tempted to say this is worse than RAAM. It probably is.

Also, sorry MASS Xtortion, couldn't play, was cooping it out.

I found an almost perfect spot, which coincidentally is the same everybody else has found and posted on youtube videos :-/.
Use the elevator as cover and only leave the place very wisely to get ammo and the hammer of dawn.

The transition between phases can be a bitch, as therons DELETE you. Jump forward, cover, and run to that spot I mentioned like there's no tomorrow. Forget about the therons as they'll keep coming if you kill them, and mark the queen so the AI companions shoot the Tempest's mouth whenever they can. You must shoot it too, but SAVE ENOUGH AMMO for when the Tempest hits the tower, you want to remove it from there asap.

Addnan

Seth Balmore said:
I'm betting SOS has 0.9% of total kills, Gnasher somehow nets 115%, we're all crybabies.
lol.

What really annoys me about them saying SOS isn't op because not many people use it/not many kills. Then why did they nerf the hammerburst? It was the least used rifle in the beta.

Xevren

X-Frame said:
I went there, liked the page, and then nothing .. what do I do next?

If I click the "Get Griffin" on the left column nothing comes up -- it's just a blank page. Is this expired?

It might be, since I already used it I have no way to tell. I know to unlock him in game is by earning a lot of money in Horde, so might just have to do that.

LosDaddie

Banned
The mutators kinda break Horde mode, at least on Normal. It was really easy going through all 50 waves yesterday with some GAFers.

EDIT: Also, thanks to K Dash, Xevren, semiarticulate and Supercharged XF for joining me. :)

Seth Balmore said:
I'm betting SOS has 0.9% of total kills, Gnasher somehow nets 115%, we're all crybabies.

That is flawed logic on Epic's part. There are many people that will not use the SOS at all and these people are going to get their kills somehow. The population distribution of SOS users to that of Gnasher users will be greatly skewed and their numbers will be pointless without some sort of complex weighted analysis.

X-Frame

LosDaddie said:
The mutators kinda break Horde mode, at least on Normal. It was really easy going through all 50 waves yesterday with some GAFers.
Yeah, it was fun to play with you guys but it was a bit boring. Lol.

Now I need to do it again but with no mutators because I watched my bro do it that way (with randoms though) and it was 10000x as intense.

nel e nel

ROBOKITTYZILLA said:
That is flawed logic on Epic's part. There are many people that will not use the SOS at all and these people are going to get their kills somehow. The population distribution of SOS users to that of Gnasher users will be greatly skewed and their numbers will be pointless without some sort of complex weighted analysis.

Well, your argument would suggest that if no one is using the SOS, then you're not getting killed by it as much as you perceive you are.

LosDaddie

Banned
X-Frame said:
Yeah, it was fun to play with you guys but it was a bit boring. Lol.

Now I need to do it again but with no mutators because I watched my bro do it that way (with randoms though) and it was 10000x as intense.

I've done Horde without the mutators. Problem is that it can take over 3hrs, and you still not be able to finish it :|

I wonder if Horde on Insane with mutators is a challenge...

LosDaddie said:
I've done Horde without the mutators. Problem is that it can take over 3hrs, and you still not be able to finish it :|

I wonder if Horde on Insane with mutators is a challenge...
It still is. I did it with super reload and infinite ammo and it still took 3.5 hours.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Robot Pants said:
Are you doing it by yourself?
If you are, I thought I posted a video on how to do it really easily. Trying to do it the real way just doesn't work on insane if you are alone.
The last phase is the most important part.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nqv84gqxDKU
I'm doing it in co-op with a friend, does that make it even different?

Acidote said:
I found an almost perfect spot, which coincidentally is the same everybody else has found and posted on youtube videos :-/.
Use the elevator as cover and only leave the place very wisely to get ammo and the hammer of dawn.

The transition between phases can be a bitch, as therons DELETE you. Jump forward, cover, and run to that spot I mentioned like there's no tomorrow. Forget about the therons as they'll keep coming if you kill them, and mark the queen so the AI companions shoot the Tempest's mouth whenever they can. You must shoot it too, but SAVE ENOUGH AMMO for when the Tempest hits the tower, you want to remove it from there asap.
See where I'm stuck is:

The third phase. After you shoot down the queen from the building the first time, she flies around a bit and you have to constantly deal with fliers and theron guards, which are, dare I say, unfairly random and killing some too close is an instagib death for you. These hamper your ability to advance towards the elevator region, and if you don't get there in time, when she gets back on the side of the tower, your fucked cause she EZ-Bakes Adam. Gonna try that elevator strategy but it doesn't seem to nearly work as well in 2 player co-op when I tried it earlier. :/ The fliers are a real problem, and they seemed like they weren't even there in that singleplayer video guide through it you guys posted. Oh and ammo is scarce as shit.

nel e nel said:
That's a sure bet, Cliffy tweeted this weekend that stats would be coming out soon and that we would all be surprised.
That's why I'm sure the stats are gonna say something like "hardly ANYONE uses the SOS, guys. Honest."

And that won't mean the gun isn't broken, but they'll imply it does.

Agree with Addnan on the Hammerburst thing too.

Acidote

enzo_gt said:

See where I'm stuck is:

The third phase. After you shoot down the queen from the building the first time, she flies around a bit and you have to constantly deal with fliers and theron guards, which are, dare I say, unfairly random and killing some too close is an instagib death for you. These hamper your ability to advance towards the elevator region, and if you don't get there in time, when she gets back on the side of the tower, your fucked cause she EZ-Bakes Adam. Gonna try that elevator strategy but it doesn't seem to nearly work as well in 2 player co-op when I tried it earlier. :/ The fliers are a real problem, and they seemed like they weren't even there in that singleplayer video guide through it you guys posted. Oh and ammo is scarce as shit.

The flyers do not bother you in the elevator position. And the therons don't bother you much either. There's a checkpoint right before the third phase, reload it until you get to that place. There is space for two people if you move right. If your AI teammates are downed do not bother going to revive them, wait until they get to you crawling.

Willeth

enzo_gt said:

See where I'm stuck is:

I don't quite know what causes Shriekers to spawn in that part. I've never seen them but they must have some criterion to spawn on.

nel e nel

enzo_gt said:

See where I'm stuck is:

More co-op players = more enemies spawning. Also, the HoD and ammo boxes also respawn.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
lol, this shit kills me.

People are bitching about using the regular lancer now.

Some mush mouth mother fucker said we were noobs for using it, yet his entire team was using sawed off.

Is that what this has come to? Seriously.

I'm sorry, but I'm going to keep using my lancer effectively and liberally to ensure your ass keeps sitting the fuck down.

Noob weapon, lol.
Seth Balmore said:
That's why I'm sure the stats are gonna say something like "hardly ANYONE uses the SOS, guys. Honest."

The issue with the HB is that even with the nerf it got, the damn thing is strong as hell still, especially on someone with a good trigger finger.

REV 09

every starting weapon is VERY effective in the right hands. the game is balanced imo. I have a few minor problems with maps and weapon placement, but the starting weapons are fine.

Live Free or Die said:
Why is everyone all worked up over "kill stealing"? You are playing as a team. If someone kills a person I downed I'm glad for the help. That's the way I look at it. :-/
I don't care if someone kills a guy I've downed across the map. That's fine, I probably wouldn't be able to kill him anyway.

But, when someone kills a guy I'm trying to execute, then I'm going to get pissed. Especially when it's the last guy, and it was obvious that I downed him.

Alienshogun said:
That argument goes both ways. I don't care about KDR, but the asshats who DO worry about KDR and steal kills blatantly, piss me off.
This.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
nel e nel said:
More co-op players = more enemies spawning. Also, the HoD and ammo boxes also respawn.
In the third phase the ammo boxes respawn far to your left where the hammer and the therons spawn as well. It's not an option unless the coast is really clear, which is, a next to never situation.

@Willeth, yeah but it's completely fucking random in quantity and positioning, we get them all the time, even worse they spawn really high sometimes, sometimes right above you. Once I even had a
Theron
spawn behind me in the first 15 seconds of the third phase :/

Spent probably 3 hours on that shit already. Not giving up though.

Seth Balmore said:

they did the same thing with Gears 2. Epic dropped stats saying host team only won like 49 percent of the time or something, trying to imply host wasn't that big of a deal.... I'm sure I don't have to tell you how ridiculous that assertion was.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom