• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 3 |OT| BROTHERS TO THE END

Status
Not open for further replies.
MCXC Pioneer said:
Retro or regular Lancer? I can't decide which is more effective...
I switch rifles depending on which level I'm about to play. For smaller maps I usually go with Lancer or Retro, and for the bigger maps I either choose Hammerburst or Lancer. Basically, Lancer is almost always a good choice.

ResidentDante said:
What is the fastest Onyx medal to get? Playing as female characters?
Beast on Insane was the first Onyx I got.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Seth Balmore said:
From the guy who brought us the Ga-nasher vs. Sawed-Off comparison, here's Unfair Character Hitboxes for your viewing pleasure:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PV53V2R1jBg

Basically: it's not just a cosmetic thing. Some of the bigger characters are at a disadvantage while in cover and can get hit, while other smaller characters are completely safe.

Time to switch to Sam/Myrrah. :(

Someone's got some explaining to do.

Addnan

Seth Balmore said:
From the guy who brought us the Ga-nasher vs. Sawed-Off comparison, here's Unfair Character Hitboxes for your viewing pleasure:

Basically: it's not just a cosmetic thing. Some of the bigger characters are at a disadvantage while in cover and can get hit, while other smaller characters are completely safe.

Can someone reupload it? I can't view it from UK, some music is blocking it :(.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
Playing Boomer in Beast mode seems to be a pretty easy way to rack up cash. Just lob some shells into a concentration of people and fortifacations, and you can rack up some "destroyed" points real quick.

-PXG-

Seth Balmore said:

I KNEW I wasn't tripping. Epic is so full of shit. Same hit boxes my ass. How could they be the same, since some (mainly the female) characters are smaller? It wouldn't make sense for them to take damage from invisible/ non existent areas. No wonder I'd take more damage and die more often when I played as RAAM.

I knew something was up through out the years. Damn...

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
I always felt like it was getting hit more in cover as the savage theron.

I'm guessing it's easier to hit people with the one shot then if they're a bigger character. hiding behind cover does nothing!

this combined with the right-hand advantage thing from the other video explains so much

SOS change sounds minor to me and I usually use both shotguns, not tried it myself yet.

EXP changes sounds rather upsetting, 3 weeks of lovely juicy xp which everyone even casuals could enjoy seeing is now half? going to suck getting to 100 now when a lot of players have had an easy route to that number, it should stay as it was after all this time.

Seth Balmore said:

hm, I knew that I have had some bullshit deaths behind cover from the oneshot but this explains so much.

I think in the first week of Gears 3 I got gibbed behind cover by a Torque bow and I was playing as the Savage Kantus or something. That was all it took to convince me that there were different hitboxes.

But I still play as whatever I want; I'm not competitive enough to base my player model choices on the 1-in-100 times I would get killed by something like that.

Tawpgun

The cover thing is the biggest problem. Otherwise, slightly off hitboxes don't matter much in a game like Gears since it isn't super precision oriented.

Awwwwwyeahhhhhh. Got my KDR up to a respectable 2.0 tonight after some serious heartache for the last few weeks. And hooray for the SOS nerf. There was actually one instance where one dude's shot should have gib'd the fuck out of me, but it did nothing :).

Quick question: how long will 12 waves of Beast take me if I'm to go about it in the quickest way possible? I wants me some savage Theron.

Addnan

mickcenary said:
Awwwwwyeahhhhhh. Got my KDR up to a respectable 2.0 tonight after some serious heartache for the last few weeks. And hooray for the SOS nerf. There was actually one instance where one dude's shot should have gib'd the fuck out of me, but it did nothing :).

Quick question: how long will 12 waves of Beast take me if I'm to go about it in the quickest way possible? I wants me some savage Theron.
On insane with friends should take no more than 15-25mins. Less if you guys are pretty good.

Seth Balmore said:

Not surprising. I remember Gears 2 had different hitboxes. The most obvious being Kantus' headshot vulnerable area.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I'm watching some streams right now on Arson's channel, and these kids using sawed off are yelling at his team for crossing with lancer.

In a ranked match the other team beat them all using sawed off/hammer burst and yelled "get raped" at the end.

Do they not realize the irony?

lol

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
So Quinn replied to my tweet about the hitbox video, but seemingly promptly deleted it or it's not showing up. I got it in my email though.

Quinn, I know you post here as Deez (not that it's a secret), could you clear this up?

Here's the tweet.
quinndelhoyo Quinn DelHoyo
@AlienShogun The Longshot does not follow hitbox rules. Try that scenario again with the Lancer/HB/Retro etc. #muchadoaboutnothing
Oct 12, 9:47 AM via web
In reply to…

AlienShogun W.
@quinndelhoyo @therealcliffyb @raczilla @EpicCog Apparently hitboxes are NOT the same. youtube.com/watch?v=PV53V2…
Oct 12, 9:02 AM via web

Also, what exactly does "hitbox rules" mean and why would the longshot be exempt from "hitbox rules"?

JB1981

ToyMachine228 said:
Well, the lightmass bomb was also supposed to kill the Locust and obviously didn't, so the Kryll still live in my mind! Bring them back CliffyB!

The novels explain that lightmass bomb took them out. They're gone.

Addnan

mickcenary said:
Spanks, man. I can't do it privately, on my lonesome?
You could try, but I think it will be pretty much impossible. Might be able to pass the very early waves, but as soon as heroes start coming you start taking way too much damage.

Scarecrow

I've been using the thinner characters (Anya, Savage Kantus) anyway just for the psychological effect. I figured enemies would think they're having a slightly harder shooting me as I'm not a wall of meat.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Reposting for the new page, for those unwashed masses not using 100 posts per page. This is too important to leave behind.

So Quinn replied to my tweet about the hitbox video, but seemingly promptly deleted it or it's not showing up. I got it in my email though.

Quinn, I know you post here as Deez (not that it's a secret), could you clear this up?

Here's the tweet.
quinndelhoyo Quinn DelHoyo
@AlienShogun The Longshot does not follow hitbox rules. Try that scenario again with the Lancer/HB/Retro etc. #muchadoaboutnothing
Oct 12, 9:47 AM via web
In reply to…

AlienShogun W.
@quinndelhoyo @therealcliffyb @raczilla @EpicCog Apparently hitboxes are NOT the same. youtube.com/watch?v=PV53V2…
Oct 12, 9:02 AM via web

Also, what exactly does "hitbox rules" mean and why would the longshot be exempt from "hitbox rules"?

So the longshot now suddenly works with some magical hitbox that autodetects game geometry and converts it to a hitbox or what? They should sell that technology, really.

reggie

Banned
Seth Balmore said:

I don't doubt this for a second, but two things:
He wasn't shooting Anya in the exact same spot. I realize you couldn't even SEE Anya, but that doesn't matter, we are talking about Hitboxes.
Second, she wasn't holding the same gun, doesn't that change your stance?

Alienshogun said:

Here's the tweet.

Even if it's just the longshot it's still bullshit.

2th

Banned
Alienshogun said:
Reposting for the new page, for those unwashed masses not using 100 posts per page. This is too important to leave behind.

Here's the tweet.

Wish you has screenshotted that stuff. I mean removing the tweets is either shady or he realized he was incorrect with his statements. Would be nice for him to clarify.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
reggie said:
I don't doubt this for a second, but two things:
He wasn't shooting Anya in the exact spot. I realize you couldn't even SEE Anya, but that doesn't matter, we are talking about Hitboxes.
Second, she wasn't holding the same gun, doesn't that change your stance?

I think you need to look up two posts.

2th said:
Just noticed he removed the tweets too. Wish you has screenshotted that stuff. I mean removing the tweets is either shady or he realized he was incorrect with his statements. Would be nice for him to clarify.

Anyone who doesn't believe me I can forward the email. I'll screenshot the email and upload it in a sec.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
29ok1gx.jpg

Someone needs to post this on the Epic forums.

Deez

Neo Member
Nothing shady about it to be honest. Just decided against getting invloved in that doctored youtube vid.

Basically when you are in cover, the code blocks any damage in that situation except the sniper rifle b/c we want to give pixel hunters the benefit of the doubt.

I say doctored b/c any other character would have appeard hidden like Anya except the Theron. Try that with the drone, grenadier, kantus, Marcus, etc and they too would have appeared hidden behind cover.

This is such a non-issue.

Jrmint

If you guys are looking for some humor go read the comments section from Joystiq's post on the weapon stats and SOS nerf.

I couldn't stay in there much longer, felt like I was getting dumber by the second.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Deez said:
Nothing shady about it to be honest. Just decided against getting invloved in that doctored youtube vid.

Basically when you are in cover, the code blocks any damage in that situation except the sniper rifle b/c we want to give pixel hunters the benefit of the doubt.

I say doctored b/c any other character would have appeard hidden like Anya except the Theron. Try that with the drone, grenadier, kantus, Marcus, etc and they too would have appeared hidden behind cover.

So, you're saying that Theron is the only character that would be compromised in that situation?

Miggytronz

Deez said:

welcome to NEOGAF

2th

Banned
Deez said:

And we thank you for the clarification. :)

Now go check your gmail.

zlatko

Banned
RSTEIN said:
So, you're saying that Theron is the only character that would be compromised in that situation?

Theron's/RAAM have always been the worst to pick in Gears games for MP purposes. If their skirts are sticking out, you can stick Torque arrows in the skirts and when they blow up it will kill the Theron/RAAM. The cover stuff has been there in other Gears games with them too, because if I remember right in Gears 1 you could just aim for the collars when they were on covers for active downs.

MjFrancis

LosDaddie said:
Good games last night, Mikas.

I'm trying to get better at the MP. Have to stick with the team more. :lol
Where are you at on the campaign? I've been replaying it chunk by chunk in Arcade mode. It's so much easier since players respawn after they die. Last night I was playing with a team of three that had the mutator that shot rainbows and stars out of the Locust when they died. Absolutely hilarious.

I've been playing earlier in the night, though, so I'm typically on my out when I see you sign in on Live.

Willeth

Had some douchebag host in Arcade just now going for the Number 1 ribbon, as was I. He refused to revive me when I was top of the board, and when we finished the chapter with me on top he quit before the scoreboard and kicked out to the menu before I got the ribbon.

Fuck that guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom