• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 3 |OT| BROTHERS TO THE END

Status
Not open for further replies.

MjFrancis

Willeth said:
Had some douchebag host in Arcade just now going for the Number 1 ribbon, as was I. He refused to revive me when I was top of the board, and when we finished the chapter with me on top he quit before the scoreboard and kicked out to the menu before I got the ribbon.

Fuck that guy.
That's... insanely antisocial. Not to mention it just throws away the rewards you get for completing a chapter no matter where you place.

DeMeester

I just figured out that the Gunker part (act 1 chapter 6) and the gas barge enter are so much easier on insane in arcade mode. I'm probably not going to like the Lambent Berzerker and Queen Myrrah parts, but I have to get those achievements and medals for finishing insane. I thought Raam on insane was bad game design, but those sections are probably even worse.

MjFrancis

The Lambent Berserker isn't so bad in a group of four, but it is really time consuming. I haven't beat her in Insane but the group of randoms I was playing with were divided 2 Insane/2 Hardcore and it just took us fifteen minutes with a few restarts. There's a checkpoint in the middle of the battle, thankfully.

U2NUMB

DeMeester said:
I just figured out that the Gunker part (act 1 chapter 6) and the gas barge enter are so much easier on insane in arcade mode. I'm probably not going to like the Lambent Berzerker and Queen Myrrah parts, but I have to get those achievements and medals for finishing insane. I thought Raam on insane was bad game design, but those sections are probably even worse.

Wait till the last boss. Even on Arcade with unlimited ammo and mega active reload.. with more than 2 people it is impossible. Wave 3 of this boss can go die in hell.

On insane of course...

I have been completely absorbed by Dark Souls but decided to start up a private bot match last night to test the SOS and could easily notice the difference. Satisfied with the changes, I jumped into some ranked multiplayer to really put it to the test and had a glorious night. I started around 7 or 8PM and when I finally checked the time it was 12:45AM and I had completely lost track of time. It's been a while since a Gears game has accomplished that.

Everything about the game feels so perfectly balanced now and I can't believe I'm saying this but it doesn't feel cheap at all to die by the sawed off. You almost feel like that player actually earned their kill. It has greatly reduced the amount of attempted "suicide runs" made by typical SOS users and the amount of users that abused them for easy kills. Additionally, I would like to add that the update is a far cry from changing the game into a "Gnasher fest" as some are implying; the majority of the matches I competed in last night consisted of mostly rifle and power weapon kills. I also really appreciate the map changes to Sandbar and Overpass. Changing the weapon spawns has a profound impact on the way the maps are played now. This has truly been a game changer for me. Great job, Epic!

As a side note... anyone know why the fuck this keeps happening?

OEGIO.jpg

This started last week and has been happening off and on. When I try to join games I get messages about not being able to join the host's game because their version of the playlist is different than mine. I can still join other games but it is often laggy or filled with bots. Nothing short of releasing the DHCP lease on the XBOX 360 and restarting my modem has been able to correct the problem. No other games or services are affected when this happens.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Deez said:
Nothing shady about it to be honest. Just decided against getting invloved in that doctored youtube vid.

Basically when you are in cover, the code blocks any damage in that situation except the sniper rifle b/c we want to give pixel hunters the benefit of the doubt.

I say doctored b/c any other character would have appeard hidden like Anya except the Theron. Try that with the drone, grenadier, kantus, Marcus, etc and they too would have appeared hidden behind cover.

This is such a non-issue.
That still doesn't make sense. In essence you're implying there are at least 2 " hitboxes" in the game depending on weapon and character model used.

ROBOKITTYZILLA said:
I have been completely absorbed by Dark Souls but decided to start up a private bot match last night to test the SOS and could easily notice the difference. Satisfied with the changes, I jumped into some ranked multiplayer to really put it to the test and had a glorious night. I started around 7 or 8PM and when I finally checked the time it was 12:45AM and I had completely lost track of time. It's been a while since a Gears game has accomplished that.

Everything about the game feels so perfectly balanced now and I can't believe I'm saying this but it doesn't feel cheap at all to die by the sawed off. You almost feel like that player actually earned their kill. It has greatly reduced the amount of attempted "suicide runs" made by typical SOS users and the amount of users that abused them for easy kills. Additionally, I would like to add that the update is a far cry from changing the game into a "Gnasher fest" as some are implying; the majority of the matches I competed in last night consisted of mostly rifle and power weapon kills. I also really appreciate the map changes to Sandbar and Overpass. Changing the weapon spawns has a profound impact on the way the maps are played now. This has truly been a game changer for me. Great job, Epic!

OEGIO.jpg

This started last week and has been happening off and on. When I try to join games I get messages about not being able to join the host's game because their version of the playlist is different than mine. I can still join other games but it is often laggy or filled with bots. Nothing short of releasing the DHCP lease on the XBOX 360 and restarting my modem has been able to correct the problem. No other games or services are affected when this happens.

Do you have the ports open for XBL on your router?

mbmonk

ROBOKITTYZILLA said:

Could it be your 360's NIC? Have you tried switching from wired to wireless ( or vice versa ) when this happens?

These things are such a pain in the ass to troubleshoot with consoles. You don't get acess to ping, tracert, etc.

LosDaddie

Banned
MjFrancis said:
Where are you at on the campaign? I've been replaying it chunk by chunk in Arcade mode. It's so much easier since players respawn after they die. Last night I was playing with a team of three that had the mutator that shot rainbows and stars out of the Locust when they died. Absolutely hilarious.

I've been playing earlier in the night, though, so I'm typically on my out when I see you sign in on Live.

I'm at the beginning of Act 5....Still trying to complete the campaign for the first time.

Live Free or Die said:
Do you have the ports open for XBL on your router?

UPNP handles everything, hence the "OPEN NAT" status. I haven't had issues in any other games, including Gears 1 and 2.

mbmonk said:
Could it be your 360's NIC? Have you tried switching from wired to wireless ( or vice versa ) when this happens?

These things are such a pain in the ass to troubleshoot with consoles. You don't get acess to ping, tracert, etc.

I'm using the new 360 slim model on a wired connection straight to the modem. I hope it's not the NIC since the system is less than a month old. I have yet to try wireless but I am starting to suspect some firmware update on either the router (which is bridged) or modem may have affected UPNP and it's screwing up. Was curious if anyone else had this problem. :/

Ballistik

Alienshogun said:
That still doesn't make sense. In essence you're implying there are at least 2 " hitboxes" in the game depending on weapon and character model used.
Basically, the sniper rifle WILL register a hit if you can see the smallest flesh of their body peeking out anywhere for anyone. Just so happens that some of the locusts are at a disadvantage for their size. That's all it is.

I've experienced it first hand when I had a guy hiding behind cover and instead of rushing or waiting for him to come out, I tried to headshot him behind cover because a little of him was peeking out, so I shot, but it only did damage. Would of been more BS (Like Gears 2) for the shot just to go through him.

kiryani

Still no reply from anyone at epic whatsoever about my issue with reloading disconnecting my controller. I've tried 5 different controllers now, FIVE!

mbmonk

"Doctored" video confirmed to be true?! Great stuff. Obviously he didn't doctor it enough.

I was using that crappy model, that is out the window now.

Krakatoa

kiryani said:
Still no reply from anyone at epic whatsoever about my issue with reloading disconnecting my controller. I've tried 5 different controllers now, FIVE!

I would be calling MS about the problem as well. It seems like a hardware issue to me.

kiryani

Krakatoa said:
I would be calling MS about the problem as well. It seems like a hardware issue to me.

I could fully get behind that, if my console didnt work perfectly for every other game, and perfectly in gears as long as I didn't active reload :(

mbmonk

kiryani said:
I could fully get behind that, if my console didnt work perfectly for every other game, and perfectly in gears as long as I didn't active reload :(

Turned rumble off? I am just trying to think what EPIC could be sending to the controller that would cause a disconnect. I figured controllers are pretty much a one way street (besides rumble commands). Epic would be worried about what you were pressing and not sending data to the controller.

Can you try the same controller + gears 3 on a different console? I know the chances are small you can, but I had to ask.

kiryani

mbmonk said:
Turned rumble off? I am just trying to think what EPIC could be sending to the controller that would cause a disconnect. I figured controllers are pretty much a one way street (besides rumble commands). Epic would be worried about what you were pressing and not sending data to the controller.

Can you try the same controller + gears 3 on a different console? I know the chances are small you can, but I had to ask.

Rumble has been turned off and on, it makes no difference :(

I've tried my disc in a friends xbox and it worked fine, havent tried any of my controllers on a different xbox though.

I'm figuring the problem is related to my xbox and gears of war 3, I think whichever controller I do use will still end up the same.

The only thing I could think of that could be doing it would be the quick use of the RB button, but it does the same no matter which gun I use so it can't be an issue with the timing. I'm just utterly baffled.

mbmonk

kiryani said:

I've tried my disc in a friends xbox and it worked fine, havent tried any of my controllers on a different xbox though.

I'm figuring the problem is related to my xbox and gears of war 3, I think whichever controller I do use will still end up the same.

The only thing I could think of that could be doing it would be the quick use of the RB button, but it does the same no matter which gun I use so it can't be an issue with the timing. I'm just utterly baffled.

Yea. That is baffling.

JambiBum

Alienshogun said:
Nah I know exactly what he is talking about. There are times when a larger character is sticking out of cover and if you shoot him with any of the starting weapons then they receive no damage. It may look like it is hitting the character but they don't actually receive damage. Headshots with a weapon will work just fine though.

Kweh

Is it my tv or is their mad aliasing in this game. I have just got to the level where you're chasing that statue guy and he looks terrible when you finally catch up to and speak with him.

Kweh said:
Is it my tv or is their mad aliasing in this game. I have just got to the level where you're chasing that statue guy and he looks terrible when you finally catch up to and speak with him.
It could be both. Try dialing back the sharpness off your set. Game definitely has aliasing though.

reggie

Banned
kiryani said:

First and foremost, don't assume anything, just because it hasn't happened in other games doesn't mean anything - it could be a coincidence.

My first guess would be that the batteries are loose and the action of hitting RB is causing enough force to disconnect the controller for a second. This probably sounds crazy, but try putting pressure on the battery (as to make sure it is definitely not coming loose) and gently hit RB - if it doesn't disconnect then I bet this is the problem. All my controllers have run into this problem where the battery case becomes loose over time and certain actions make it disconnect.

It also matters if your using the official 360 rechargeable batteries, or just standard double AA's. Try using both with my earlier idea.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
JambiBum said:
Nah I know exactly what he is talking about. There are times when a larger character is sticking out of cover and if you shoot him with any of the starting weapons then they receive no damage. It may look like it is hitting the character but they don't actually receive damage. Headshots with a weapon will work just fine though.
Yeah, that's two different hitboxes is it not? Also on this subject there's a spot down by dig/boom on hotel when someone takes cover on the pillar by steps at bottom that you can't damage them even though their entire back I exposed to you. Shit has happened to me twice. WTF is up with that? This is with lancer btw

LowParry

Damn, what have I missed. lol - I go to take break from Gears and I can't keep up with what's going on. So SOS got nerfed? Other weapons not work right? Ehhhh?

Marleyman

Banned
LosDaddie said:
I'm at the beginning of Act 5....Still trying to complete the campaign for the first time.

My bad about missing you the other night; I haven't had much time to play with my wedding next Saturday so I usually am on for a short amount of time.

kiryani

reggie said:
First and foremost, don't assume anything, just because it hasn't happened in other games doesn't mean anything - it could be a coincidence.

My first guess would be that the batteries are loose and the action of hitting RB is causing enough force to disconnect the controller for a second. This probably sounds crazy, but try putting pressure on the battery (as to make sure it is definitely not coming loose) and gently hit RB - if it doesn't disconnect then I bet this is the problem. All my controllers have run into this problem where the battery case becomes loose over time and certain actions make it disconnect.

It also matters if your using the official 360 rechargeable batteries, or just standard double AA's. Try using both with my earlier idea.

Here is the video I made the other day, as you can see, I can double click RB with no issues, the issue only comes when it hits the perfect reload part of the bar :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwfkIzsuwCE&feature=channel_video_title

Edit - I will try your idea as well, though.

tsigo

Hey Gears, I appreciate you trying to migrate the host when someone disconnects, but when we're on wave 18 of Horde and you drop us back to wave 8 with no defenses up, I'd rather you just fucking end the game.

TRios Zen

Played a few matches last night and the SOS range did NOT feel nerf-ed to me at all, I'm hoping I just had hit servers or matches that hadn't updated yet.

Otherwise, I'm still loving this game. Yeah it's not perfect, but damn it can still be the most rewarding MP experience out there. If you can get past the flaws, nothing comes close IMO.

Does anyone know if pre-order skins are ever going to be available? Really want a Mechanic Baird and Savage Kantus!

Robot Pants

Anyone up for Horde Insane or Beast Insane tonight? Wanna get those out of the way
I'm in dat PST, so anytime after 5pm should be good.
GT: PHANT0M LIMBS or pm me

Lucius86

Banned
TRios Zen said:
Played a few matches last night and the SOS range did NOT feel nerf-ed to me at all, I'm hoping I just had hit servers or matches that hadn't updated yet.

Otherwise, I'm still loving this game. Yeah it's not perfect, but damn it can still be the most rewarding MP experience out there. If you can get past the flaws, nothing comes close IMO.

Does anyone know if pre-order skins are ever going to be available? Really want a Mechanic Baird and Savage Kantus!

Aye, I've noticed no difference as of yet either. But I really am enjoying TDM, flaws and all. Just downright gritty and raw.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Bringing this to the new page, mostly because of that spot I'm talking about in hotel. Anyone else experience this?

Also, what other weapons are subject to this second "hitbox?" Oneshot? Boltok?

JambiBum said:
Yeah, that's two different hitboxes is it not? Also on this subject there's a spot down by dig/boom on hotel when someone takes cover on the pillar by steps at bottom that you can't damage them even though their entire back I exposed to you. Shit has happened to me twice. WTF is up with that? This is with lancer btw

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
the spawning system in this game is garbage and needs to be completely redesigned

edit: here's my idea

when you spawn you are protected in a small area (think slightly bigger than the koth ring) for X seconds. If you move outside it you become active. If you fire your gun it gets smaller until it eventually disappears (this would stop people abusing the protection it offers). You would see the area but nobody else would, to them it would just be the same as if you had spawn protection on

this would also mean you could create spawn points anywhere on the map so in game modes like koth you could make it fairer by spawning everyone the same distance from the ring.

Raxus

Scarecrow said:
I've been using the thinner characters (Anya, Savage Kantus) anyway just for the psychological effect. I figured enemies would think they're having a slightly harder shooting me as I'm not a wall of meat.
Same, except I use Sam since she is darker and harder to 'spot' in some cases.

mrpeabody

Strider2K99 said:
I'm online right now, anyone wanna help me beat Beast mode on Insane? Want to try and beat this tonight.

GT: Strider2K99
GT semiarticulate.

Anybody else? Can't wait to try the harder difficulties.

(P.S. Still waiting for Gears GAF group 4 to accept my friend request.)

dmg04

#DEADWRONG
A dmg04

Shoot me an invite; about to start a warzone match. be there in a minute

also, dibs on kantus. Really close to gold medal for revives

Yes i'd love to join you

kuYuri

dmg04 said:
A dmg04

Shoot me an invite; about to start a warzone match. be there in a minute

also, dibs on kantus. Really close to gold medal for revives

You want to join us for Beast or you talking to someone else?

Dug

Banned
One thing I never got about Gears of War, who thought of putting a chainsaw on a machine gun? I could just imagine the meeting at Epic:
"Alright we got this machine gun, but the front seems a little empty...."
"Put a chainsaw there."
"Genius."

Dug said:
One thing I never got about Gears of War, who thought of putting a chainsaw on a machine gun? I could just imagine the meeting at Epic:
"Alright we got this machine gun, but the front seems a little empty...."
"Put a chainsaw there."
"Genius."
Oh, to be a fly on the wall in that meeting room.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom