• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 3 |OT| BROTHERS TO THE END

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRios Zen

Gears 3, as it is, is one hell of a game. I expect it will take a lot of my time over the coming years, even with other big MP games coming out.

Regardless, it wouldn't be the anonymous internet if I couldn't bitch about something, so here's the list of things I'd love to see improved in Gears 3:

- Server/Host Identification on the MP screen as well as connection status. Whether it's a dedicated server or P2P should be out there for all to see. Also, if I'm likely to get an ass game because my connection to the server or host sucks, let me know up front. Transparency epic! Info gives power to the people.

- Spawn protection issues: couple ways this can be addressed but something needs to be done about people running out of spawn with a few seconds of invincibility. The fact that an entire match can change in a couple of seconds is what makes this game so visceral - don't screw it up by giving someone who just died an unfair advantage.

- Spawning issues: Leave spawn, immediately get in battle, kill opponents, and they re-spawn right behind you as you are still engaging their teammates (and they are invincible!) = bullshit. Does it happen OFTEN? No, but it shouldn't happen at all.

- Weapon wise, there isn't much I'd change: I'm no big fan of the SOS, but if the range was nerfed (in some matches it seems like it has but in others not so much) then I will quit bitching about that. All other weapons I think balance nicely.

- I think a Classic playlist is a no-brainer. I love what they are doing with their community weekends (Big-Head playlist, Torque-Bow tag) but why not have a standard Classic Playlist out there?

Hmmm. I love this game, but IMO these changes would elevate this game into the pantheon of "Greatest Games Ever".

Alienshogun said:
The problem is, what "mode" will oldschool be?

A lot of people won't want execution/warzone, but that's what "classic" gears is. If they add ALL the modes in vanilla gears 3 to classic the population will become far too segmented.
They could implement the lobby voting system from Gears 2 so people can choose what they want to play before the game begins. Obviously there will be complaints from people wanting to play certain unpopular modes (happened with Submission), but it's better than nothing.

EDIT: Just noticed we're in Community already.

AntMurda

Having an impossible time beating the last boss on hardcore with 4 players. The worst part is people always drop out (the host).

Is it easier beating it single player hardcore with the CPU?

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
whitehawk said:
Instead of trying to fix the SOS, they should just make a classic playlist, ala COD.

- No SOS or Retro
- Only Frag Grenades
- Only Gears 1 power weapons
- Perhaps 4v4 as well

I would just play that playlist myself.

make one of the DLC packs a bunch of remakes and add this playlist

i'd buy it

Falagard

Alienshogun said:
The problem is, what "mode" will oldschool be?

A lot of people won't want execution/warzone, but that's what "classic" gears is. If they add ALL the modes in vanilla gears 3 to classic the population will become far too segmented.

They'd have to use just TDM even if it conflicts with the idea of it being truly classic, otherwise it'd be sent to die and they'd just say "see people don't want to play with classic settings".

Miggytronz

TgAm0.png

razu

vodka-bull said:
?
That would be awesome for everyone who's playing with randoms.

Also: Show the indicator for downing an enemy to everybody so there's no argument about whos down it was and who stole from whom and whatnot.

They should add a "steals" column in the results table :)

LosDaddie

Banned
Act 5 is beautiful. Great lighting and vibrant colors. Can't wait to see the end of the game.

Thanks for joining me last night, Mikas & MjFrancis! :)

Montresor

_dementia said:
This sounds not very fun. What's the verdict?

All I know is I'm definitely going to unlock the Torque Bow execution this weekend. ^_^ It feels so satisfying unlocking executions entirely with kills from online versus.

ZeroCoin

Mikasangelos said:
Yeah same. Wish they had an API out for people to make stat apps for iPhone/Android.

I hope an API is in the long term plans for the war journal. Obviously they need to get all the kinks worked out of the system before they release anything like that. I would love to see an android app similar to the halo reach stats app.

Slightly off topic, but is anyone else disappointed that there isn't an xbox live app for ios / android? I understand if MS wants to use the xbox brand as some unique leverage for windows mobile, but there's no way I would consider using a windows phone solely to get an xbox live app.

MjFrancis

AntMurda said:
Having an impossible time beating the last boss on hardcore with 4 players. The worst part is people always drop out (the host).

Is it easier beating it single player hardcore with the CPU?
I've heard that two players paired with two CPU allies is the best bet. The CPU characters are pretty good at reviving you should it give you too much trouble.

The number of enemies is scaled in places to the number of players, I found that out in several areas by playing them solo with little trouble then immediately going online with three other players and having a hell of a time in the same difficulty. It was the
lambent human
sections of Act III. Only a few hits downs you on Hardcore, but solo there weren't too many to deal with in the first place so I never figured that out. In a group of four, it seemed like they kept coming, and coming and coming...

But yeah, the third wave of enemies in that final fight are scaled. So, pair up with a buddy and kick ass.

Montresor

So what should I do to prevent my save files and online rank from resetting? I play a lot of splitscreen with my brother.

Should I always log both of us into Xbox Live in the dashboard, and THEN start up Gears?

Mikasangelos said:
http://i.imgur.com/TgAm0.png[IMG][/QUOTE]

Wait, something isn't right. I checked my stats online at the war journal (very cool feature by the way), and it says I have 1868 kills and 1330 deaths. Where are all those extra kills coming from? When I check my online versus stats while playing the game, it says I have a K/D ratio of 0.8.

Do kills in campaign contribute to that kill count?

Iztli

I just ordered a XIM 3 just to play this game :p Long time GoW 1 pc gamer here :) finally caved in and bought a 360..... probably the last 360 game I will ever buy

MjFrancis

LosDaddie said:
Act 5 is beautiful. Great lighting and vibrant colors. Can't wait to see the end of the game.

Thanks for joining me last night, Mikas & MjFrancis! :)
I'll make sure I'm playing on Hardcore instead of Insane, too. We did fine, but the final chapter might be too much if I do that again!

But yeah, the last chapters of Act V are gorgeous. Especially after the drab sections in the first chapter of the act and the last few of Act IV.

mbmonk

Seth Balmore said:
They could implement the lobby voting system from Gears 2 so people can choose what they want to play before the game begins. Obviously there will be complaints from people wanting to play certain unpopular modes (happened with Submission), but it's better than nothing.

I wonder if dedicated servers might be an hurdle to this proposed solution. In the past, pretty far back, you would run a dedicated server for a particular game type and if you want to change that gametype the server had to be restarted. P2P it's not an issue, with dedicated it might be. Killzone 2 rotated game types during the map, but I assume that would have to be designed and programmed in from the start ( assuming KZ2 wasn't P2P and was dedicated ). Just thought I would mention it.

Seth Balmore said:
We've been asking for an Old School playlist over at the official forums for a while now, which is basically what you mentioned. We're up to ~950 supporters (and ~120 crazy people saying they don't want it)... Will Epic live up to their reputation and listen to the community? Time will tell.

People who agree are labeled "supporters". People who don't are labeled "crazy". :p

EDIT: Just to clarify, I do stuff like the above as well. I was just pointing it out. I am in no way saying I am 'better' than you. Or that I don't do it. Because I do.

Ramirez

mbmonk said:
People who agree are labeled "supporters". People who don't are labeled "crazy". :p

EDIT: Just to clarify, I do stuff like the above as well. I was just pointing it out. I am in no way saying I am 'better' than you. Or that I don't do it. Because I do.

They are crazy in the sense that the playlist wouldn't harm them at all, so why are they against it? They don't have to play it...

mbmonk

Ramirez said:
They are crazy in the sense that the playlist wouldn't harm them at all, so why are they against it? They don't have to play it...

There are rational argument against this. While I agree with the idea of a versus playlist w/o the SOS. I think rational arguments include, but not limited to.

1) Dedicated server that get allocated to the classic playlist will be more than likely be taken from some other existing game mode. This would equate to "harm" on them... Unless you are proposing that the playlist be strictly P2P?
2) It would further splinter the community. I listed this argument even though I don't agree with it. I think people should be allowed to play how they want to play.

Again I am for a classic playlist.

mbmonk said:

Haha, I didn't meant to offend, I honestly didn't. Said it in a light-hearted manner because of what Ramirez explained, basically. :)

A strictly P2P Old School playlist equates Gears 2 levels of frustration, servers are definitely needed. As you surely must know, the reason the petition exists is that old fans want to be able to experience a more classic gameplay with the cool benefits Gears 3 offers, mainly dedicated servers, so making it P2P only would make it entirely pointless; "go play Gears 1/2" as Cliff would say.

Now, I have no deep knowledge of the technical stuff related to server farm infrastructure, so quite frankly I have no idea if allocating some servers to make this playlist work is too much to ask of Epic and Microsoft. That is a fair point; now if someone else with the proper knowledge could elaborate a bit more on that...

I also disagree - again, from a mostly tech-illiterate point of view - with the notion that fragmenting the playerbase is such a gigantic deal as they make it out to be. Gears 2 had many playlists yet matchmaking didn't suffer all that much, so why should it be a problem now, especially seeing as Gears 3's playerbase is much healthier than Gears 2's (at least for now)?

pr0cs

I finished Gears3 launch week on hardcore with a friend in coop. The final boss wasn't too bad I don't think we had to start again more than once.

I tried to help a friend again on hardcore last night, after 1 hour we finally gave up.

when the theron guards start climbing up they would not stop, regularly we would be outnumbered 2:1 including the 2 AI players. There was no way to keep the queen preoccupied and keep the guards from messing things up.
Either the queen would BBQ us or the guards would pick us off.

I don't recall the first playthrough them making the guards infinite spawn, now if you kill 1 another almost instantly takes his place, we even tried using the hammer of dawn to trim down the guard numbers but within a minute they were all back again.

I wonder if this was tweaked somehow. Or perhaps the first time through the game was bugged and the guards didn't automatically respawn, or last night the game was bugged and they kept reappearing.

Either way very frustrating to play that sequence for over an hour and not many any progress.

Anyone know if this encounter was tweaked somehow and made more difficult?

Beat the last boss on Insane this morning! That was a fun! Talk about playing for the next checkpoint.

Now I just have to complete the last boss on 4-person co-op, and a couple other individual chapter segments, and I will be done with most of the campaign achievements. I can also drop myself down to casual to help other people finish the last act on Insane (and turn on a few mutators to boot!).

I will be around after 10 pm EST tonight if anyone wants to work on the campaign or try an Insane Horde run. GT is Zyzomys

ZeroCoin said:
http://gearsofwar.xbox.com/en-US/warjournal

It's technically still in beta, but it's pretty useful. Not sure how often it updates though, or what parts aren't working quite right yet. For my horde stats, it is showing that all my fortifications are still level 1.

anyone else having a problem with the journal not showing Sawed-off stats? I wanted to see how many time i was really killed by the thing but its not on the list. im expecting it to be higher than any other weapon.

if anyone else can get it to work post a few sawed-off deaths vs gnasher deaths.

Ballistik

Everyone should hit the torque bow tag playlist because it's a great opportunity to get the ribbon (if you haven't done it with bots) for getting a headshot and sticking a second guy behind him.

Do kills in campaign contribute to that kill count?
Apparently, it shows me 2558 lancer kills whereas if I check the lancer medal I've only about 150.

So Horde and Campaign are counted as well and thus they statistics for the specific weapons ain't worth shit.

mbmonk

Seth Balmore said:
Haha, I didn't meant to offend, I honestly didn't. Said it in a light-hearted manner because of what Ramirez explained, basically. :)

I am not the best in terms of interpreting context, especially on the internet. Apologies if I offended.

Seth Balmore said:
A strictly P2P Old School playlist equates Gears 2 levels of frustration, servers are definitely needed. As you surely must know, the reason the petition exists is that old fans want to be able to experience a more classic gameplay with the cool benefits Gears 3 offers, mainly dedicated servers, so making it P2P only would make it entirely pointless; "go play Gears 1/2" as Cliff would say.

Good point. I didn't look at it from that perspective. I didn't play Gears 2 and hardly played Gear 1.

Seth Balmore said:
Now, I have no deep knowledge of the technical stuff related to server farm infrastructure, so quite frankly I have no idea if allocating some servers to make this playlist work is too much to ask of Epic and Microsoft. That is a fair point; now if someone else with the proper knowledge could elaborate a bit more on that...

I am in the same boat. I don't have proper or specific knowledge in that area. So more information would be welcomed by me as well. I ran a couple of dedicated servers of my own back in the 90's and early 2000's. So my amateur knowledge is very outdated.

Seth Balmore said:
I also disagree - again, from a mostly tech-illiterate point of view - with the notion that fragmenting the playerbase is such a gigantic deal as they make it out to be. Gears 2 had many playlists yet matchmaking didn't suffer all that much, so why should it be a problem now, especially seeing as Gears 3's playerbase is much healthier than Gears 2's (at least for now)?

Agreed.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Jrmint said:
How does it work? Is the only starting weapon a torque bow and you can still pick up others? Or how are they doing it?

pretty much.

you start with a torque bow with 5 shots, a pistol and a smoke grenade and every weapon pick-up has changed to a torque bow.

LosDaddie

Banned
Gears-GAF: Let's do some Insane Beast and Horde tonight. Let's get them Onyx medals. I'm thinking I should be on XBL around...eh...10pm EST.

I hear BEast on Insane doesn't take too long....20mins or so. I already have the Instagib Melee mutator. So no only playing as the wretch for me.

For Horde on Insane, I also have the Super Reload mutator. So it shouldn't be too difficult.

GT: LosDaddie

Let me know. And I'll post here again before I'm about to hop online.

LosDaddie said:
Gears-GAF: Let's do some Insane Beast and Horde tonight. Let's get them Onyx medals. I'm thinking I should be on XBL around...eh...10pm EST.

I hear BEast on Insane doesn't take too long....20mins or so. I already have the Instagib Melee mutator. So no only playing as the wretch for me.

For Horde on Insane, I also have the Super Reload mutator. So it shouldn't be too difficult.

GT: LosDaddie

Let me know. And I'll post here again before I'm about to hop online.
Unfortunately, there are no mutators allowed in beast mode. My advice, have 1-2 people dedicated to destroying barriers until the berserker is unlocked. But try to have one person get to the berserker as quick as possible because once he is in, its over.

LosDaddie

Banned
AlmostMilk said:
Unfortunately, there are no mutators allowed in beast mode. My advice, have 1-2 people dedicated to destroying barriers until the berserker is unlocked. But try to have one person get to the berserker as quick as possible because once he is in, its over.

yeah, I know. I only said that because sometimes people only play as wretches to unlock the Instagib Melee mutator. I already did, so I'm going to be using all the cool/fun Locusts in Beast.

mernst23

I'm not sure if this has been posted already but the achievement list for the DLC is out. Work filters prevent me from posting the list but they are really really stupid achievements.

Host a 5 player Private Match on a DLC Map in Horde Mode

Host a 5 player Private Match on a DLC Map in Beast Mode

Complete a Boss Wave with all 5 members using the Onyx soldier skin (forget if this has to be on a DLC map)

Upgrade a Command Post to Level 4

Get 500 Silverback Rocket kills in a fully upgraded silverback (rumor is that you have to upgrade your silverback to lvl 3 which is like 300-500k invested)

The first four sound like a joke and the last one is just a huge time waster since all everyone is going to do in horde now is waste money on upgrading silverbacks.

TBT is pretty cool. I'm in a room with 9 decent players right now and it's like a game of hide and seek, people are being sneaky and moving around finding someone who's distracted aiming at someone else. :)

Had a very funny moment before. Guy and I are circling around in CQB range hipfiring at each other with Torque until we both ran out of ammo at the same time.

Then, as if we were in some fucking synchronized swimming competition we both rolled to the same side, whipped out our smoke grenade, and proceeded to slam it against each other. We both roll backwards and get downed at the same time.

Mash the A button like crazy and we both get up once again at the same time, then automatically whip out the Snub and engage in retarded hipfire and melee fisticuffs until some dude from my team blasted him to bits.

I kinda felt bad when he died after that long-winded stupid play we had been through, lol.

DoomGyver

adversesolutions said:
Finally got 100 hammerburst kills.

Never again.

WORST WEAPON IN THE GAME. Awful. Useless. Only good for getting your kills stolen. Ugh.
No, that would be the gorgon pistol. Ink is a close second.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom