• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 3 |OT| BROTHERS TO THE END

Status
Not open for further replies.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
smilebig1337 said:
Not to derail the horde mode discussion here, but I just posted a tutorial for the last portion of the game on insane. It's a strategy that I devised myself, and I think it works pretty well as I've used it to beat the game on insane a few times now. I hope this helps anyone who needs it.

Oh, and this should be self explanatory, but this video is full of spoilers. It is the end of the game, people. If you don't want to get spoiled, then don't watch it, even though I cut out all of the cutscenes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y39tmp8YyGg
I've spent maybe 6-7 hours trying to finish this on 2 player co-op.

Fucking. Impossible. If anyone has done it on co-op, please, tell me your strats, because none of the solo ones work :/

This is pretty pre-emptive too, I'm not prepared to go back and re-do the first two phases just for a retro and stuff. Watching people play it on easy makes it look like the difficulty is casual or something in comparison, there are literally maybe a fifth of the threats on screen compared to what I've been dealing with with Therons and Shriekers. It makes it look like easy mode. In the third phase you can actually change cover and run around the inside on solo with no guards to note of? Unbelievable. Not even knocking your video bro, it's one of the better guides I've seen, just venting here on the difference between the two.

It's completely fucking random. The hooks, the number of shriekers, everything. Literally sometimes there is no way for you to survive. I feel it wasn't even playtested on co-op. Shoot a shrieker? Lol it homes in on you and insta-kills you. Too bad. Shriekers spawn behind you? Too bad. Shriekers spawn too high? Too bad. It has completely demotivated me from even playing Gears even more.

smilebig1337 said:
Not to derail the horde mode discussion here, but I just posted a tutorial for the last portion of the game on insane. It's a strategy that I devised myself, and I think it works pretty well as I've used it to beat the game on insane a few times now. I hope this helps anyone who needs it.

Oh, and this should be self explanatory, but this video is full of spoilers. It is the end of the game, people. If you don't want to get spoiled, then don't watch it, even though I cut out all of the cutscenes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y39tmp8YyGg

Saving this for when my friend and I get there. Thanks man.

And pray that we don't have an experience like Enzo.

smilebig1337

Neo Member
enzo_gt said:
I've spent maybe 6-7 hours trying to finish this on 2 player co-op.

Fucking. Impossible. If anyone has done it on co-op, please, tell me your strats, because none of the solo ones work :/

This is pretty pre-emptive too, I'm not prepared to go back and re-do the first two phases just for a retro and stuff. Watching people play it on easy makes it look like the difficulty is casual or something in comparison, there are literally maybe a fifth of the threats on screen compared to what I've been dealing with with Therons and Shriekers. It makes it look like easy mode. In the third phase you can actually change cover and run around the inside on solo with no guards to note of? Unbelievable. Not even knocking your video bro, it's one of the better guides I've seen, just venting here on the difference between the two.

It's completely fucking random. The hooks, the number of shriekers, everything. Literally sometimes there is no way for you to survive. I feel it wasn't even playtested on co-op. Shoot a shrieker? Lol it homes in on you and insta-kills you. Too bad. Shriekers spawn behind you? Too bad. Shriekers spawn too high? Too bad. It has completely demotivated me from even playing Gears even more.

I can definitely see your frustration, and believe me, I've had all of that happen on this boss too. I honestly think that some of it is luck, and that some of it is based on how quickly you rush through the battle. The faster you do it, the less time that the enemies have to come on screen. In the play session that I recorded this video in, I probably died about 15 times before I got it because of the queen's guards and the shriekers. Where the enemies are in comparison to your character, and the effectiveness of of the AI in killing the lackies seems to have a big impact on how difficult or easy this battle is for you. It may seem like I was just able to walk around the battlefield, but the last time that I shot her off the tower I ran where I did because the pillar covered me from the oncoming bullets of the enemies around me. If I hadn't have run there, then I would have died in 2 seconds.

One thing I can recommend for co-op is to have one player shoot the boss and one player solely focus on killing the lackies and providing cover fire. The last boss doesn't get more health when more players are in the game, so it shouldn't take all that much extra fire for one person to take it down. I did cut out about 2-3 minutes of the battle from the first portion of the battle in the video, so it should take about 10-11 minutes to take it down if you split up your tasks between the two of you.

As for not wanting to go back and get a retro, I can see the hesitation, but it is absolutely worth it. Having a weapon that is significantly stronger than the lancer at your disposal makes this boss so much easier because it will die faster.

Edit:
If you really want to make this battle easy, then your friend can just play on casual while you hide the whole battle. This is cheap as hell, but it is the easiest way to do it...

i honestly think the key to beating the last boss is re-loading the level until you get it without the massive army of locust coming from all directions. load it up in arcade mode if it won't let you in campaign. first time i played on co-op there were theron guards everywhere in endless waves. reloaded it in arcade. there were maybe 5- 6 theron guard and we finished it without an issue. same difficulty and everything.

Robot Pants

Noriega said:
Anybody else want to go at an Insane Horde Run in an hour?
I'll be there if ya want.

GT: PHANT0M LIMBS

Been trying to finish this shit FOREVER.
Oh and I have Super Reload, Infinite Ammo and Insta Gib (which isn't really needed)

smilebig1337

Neo Member
SPACECADET said:
i honestly think the key to beating the last boss is re-loading the level until you get it without the massive army of locust coming from all directions. load it up in arcade mode if it won't let you in campaign. first time i played on co-op there were theron guards everywhere in endless waves. reloaded it in arcade. there were maybe 5- 6 theron guard and we finished it without an issue. same difficulty and everything.

I honestly don't think it works that way. I have played against this boss about 7 times now, and each time the amount of lackies that are trying to kill me seems to be directly related to how long I take to kill it, and that counts the first portion of the battle too. Sometimes it seems like there are more enemies than other times because you just happen to be right where three or four enemies just came on screen, and they take you down quickly. Other times, there may be 10-15 queen's guards around you, but they all may be firing on your team mates, or on the other side of the circle, thus causing you to think that there are barely any enemies around.

I could be wrong, but it truly seems like that's the way it works.

Nori Chan

Robot Pants said:
I'll be there if ya want.

GT: PHANT0M LIMBS

Been trying to finish this shit FOREVER.
Oh and I have Super Reload, Infinite Ammo and Insta Gib (which isn't really needed)
For infinite ammo, does that mean we can reload?

I have no idea cause I don't have that mutator at all

Robot Pants

Noriega said:
For infinite ammo, does that mean we can reload?

I have no idea cause I don't have that mutator at all

Yea it means all your starting weapons (shotgun, rifle and pistol) will have infinite ammo. However once the clip runs out you still have to reload, or reload in the middle of the clip.
But there is no number for the ammo counter. It never runs out.

The Lancer with Super Reload & Infinite Ammo = Insane Horde done in no time.

Nori Chan

Robot Pants said:
Yea it means all your starting weapons (shotgun, rifle and pistol) will have infinite ammo. However once the clip runs out you still have to reload, or reload in the middle of the clip.
But there is no number for the ammo counter. It never runs out.

The Lancer with Super Reload & Infinite Ammo = Insane Horde done in no time.
Well that's 3 or 4. Anyone else?

My GT is xGeneral Ice

So you can host it when we have 5

Robot Pants

Noriega said:
Well that's 3 or 4. Anyone else?

My GT is xGeneral Ice

So you can host it when we have 5

Well we can all share each others mutators apparently, so whoever has the best connection for all of us should probably host it. I probably don't :/

Lima

Just a quick tip for everyone that is stuck on the last boss on insane.

Play alone or with a friend until the cutscene starts where the guards climb the tower. Now pause the game and invite a friend. Wait for him to be in the game and continue to play. There will be one wave of guards and for the rest of the battle no other guards will spawn.

And yes this actually works.

Lunchbox

Banned
sorry about that noriega, was waiting for you then joined balistics crew. ill join up later if you guys need anyone during the later stages

smilebig1337

Neo Member
Lima said:
Just a quick tip for everyone that is stuck on the last boss on insane.

Play alone or with a friend until the cutscene starts where the guards climb the tower. Now pause the game and invite a friend. Wait for him to be in the game and continue to play. There will be one wave of guards and for the rest of the battle no other guards will spawn.

And yes this actually works.

Sure, that works, but it is also a kind of cheap strategy that utilizes a glitch in order to beat the boss. My strategy works without glitches, and it is consistent. If you want to beat it in a relatively underhanded way, then sure go ahead. But, if you want to beat it legitimately, that may not be the way to go.

I don't mean to sound like a pretentious prick, but I'm just not a fan of utilizing glitches in games. :p

Robot Pants

yep need one more, guys. We got 4 in the party and ready to go.
Also I don't know if you guys can hear me responding or not, but my mic is defective and has been pretty much broken since the day I took it out of the box. Sorry.

dmg04

#DEADWRONG
This spawn system is getting fucking annoying.

i have 15 seconds to kill whoever is camping my spawn, and if i dont he gets reinforcements?

fuck you epic

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
dmg04 said:
This spawn system is getting fucking annoying.

i have 15 seconds to kill whoever is camping my spawn, and if i dont he gets reinforcements?

fuck you epic

the spawn system in this game is absolute garbage.

I won't even play koth any more because I'm sick of getting cheated out of a good game by lousy spawns

reggie

Banned
Why do you guys have so much trouble on the final boss? If you're not worried about being 'legit' then just put it on arcade with mutators, easy. You still get the achievements and everything.

Nori Chan

Good playing with you guys.

Shoutouts to Dementia, Robot Pants, and elrechazo. Took a while but we got it done. THOSE DAMN HAMMERBURSTS I TELLZ YOU

-PXG-

I've barely played in the passed week or so :/ Part of it is due to traveling and being busy. Another part is taking a break and playing other games. Once I start my new job next week and start seeing this new lady friend of mine, Gears will get even less love from me, well...at least until the Nov 1st DLC comes out.

zlatko

Banned
-PXG- said:
I've barely played in the passed week or so :/ Part of it is due to traveling and being busy. Another part is taking a break and playing other games. Once I start my new job next week and start seeing this new lady friend of mine, Gears will get even less love from me, well...at least until the Nov 1st DLC comes out.

But what about dem games from now till then? What bout that Uncharted 3 on Nov1st? :O

Gears 3 is on the back burner for me. I did Rage, Dark Souls, and this Tuesday will be Batman. After Batman is BF3, and then November is just too much shit to list for me to care about DLC that doesn't add maps in ranked MP lol. :p

J-Roderton

Ballistik said:
Younger cousin of mine bought the Gears console. Got a text, "want adam fenix and weapon skin pack? "

AWW YEEAAHH

I got the same message 2 weeks ago. Still waiting on the chick to send me the codes =(

Robot Pants said:
Little bit of both.

Alright, thanks

zlatko said:
Most you can just drop some cha ching for. Others are available only through certain pre order means/special promos, and if you want those you gotta hunt on ebay most likely. A few were done through Gears of War 3 beta as well.

There's only a handful you unlock through in game means, and most of those you can check under stats and awards I believe.

Thanks for the info Zlatko

zlatko

Banned
black_vegeta said:
Do you earn weapon skins by reaching certain levels or do you have to buy them with MSP?

Most you can just drop some cha ching for. Others are available only through certain pre order means/special promos, and if you want those you gotta hunt on ebay most likely. A few were done through Gears of War 3 beta as well.

There's only a handful you unlock through in game means, and most of those you can check under stats and awards I believe.

abracadaver

The requirements for all the unlocks should have been made online only. A lot of people in my friendlist are just playing private matches all the time. When I join their games they are bot farming. I knew this would happen. Who was so stupid at epic and makes the decisions for these things. Now its too late to change. If you want to get all the onyx medals you have to bot farm as well if you ever want to get most of them as the requirements are way too hard. I dont want to play shit gametypes 2000 times. Just awful. How can a company that has such a long history on multiplayer games still dont get it. I dont care if it takes a year to get seriously 3.0. What I hate is I have to grind through all this shit to get it.

dmg04

#DEADWRONG
abracadaver said:
The requirements for all the unlocks should have been made online only. A lot of people in my friendlist are just playing private matches all the time. When I join their games they are bot farming. I knew this would happen. Who was so stupid at epic and makes the decisions for these things. Now its too late to change. If you want to get all the onyx medals you have to bot farm as well if you ever want to get most of them as the requirements are way too hard. I dont want to play shit gametypes 2000 times. Just awful. How can a company that has such a long history on multiplayer games still dont get it. I dont care if it takes a year to get seriously 3.0. What I hate is I have to grind through all this shit to get it.
Rather than online only, they should have made it so they could be obtained in most game modes.

Playing horde for hours and getting zip towards 6k AR kills feels pretty lame.

Also; Why are there like 5 medals for CTL??? Why isn't there one for capping/breaking the hill?

KOTH is the best mode in the game.

I love that the SOS is a little more in check now. I just wrecked a team of SOS users by switching back and forth between Lancer fire at range, and the gnasher in close-quarters. Just baiting people into rushing by pestering and downing with the lancer, then dancing through cover and ambushing people with the gnasher.

I might never win a gnasher-on-gnasher fight out in the open, or for the last kill or whatever, but I can do so much damage against a team when I start toying with them, hahaha.

I do sometimes feel bad when the game's inconsistent nature works in my favor. I annihilated 3 guys coming up the spawn-side stairs to the boltok-towers in Gridlock. I should have died TWICE, but somehow managed to live through like 5 gnasher shots. WTF?

Ballistik

Beast on insane was way too easy. We were a party of five Gaffers, did the 12 waves without dying on our first try. It was like 17 mins and I didn't even need to use any of the last tier guys. Went by that fast!

zlatko

Banned
Wow I rarely check my n4g.com messages since the icon is so tucked away, but I went to look at mine tonight and it seems 10 days ago I had won a contest on there for best review that month which I had submitted.

$100 amazon gift card is mine... or at least I hope so since I was 10 days late to reply. ; ;

:D Gears 3 love triumphs hurrah.

Congrats zlatko!

dmg04 said:
Also; Why are there like 5 medals for CTL???
Epic have been pushing that mode a lot since the beta and even earlier. Apparently they're very proud of CTL... the community doesn't seem to think much of it though. Myself included. I'd love to have regular ol' Guardian back, but they claim CTL is "superior" and more fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom